• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Glad I waited on this game. Wouldn't be surprised if there are more updates/fixes to follow. Will probably play in December or so.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Nice to see they're working hard on improvements. I had beaten Wolfenstein Youngblood before the big patches came out, so I sympathize with those who've already beaten Control and are seeing this.

Oct 25, 2017
Turning off Motion Blur has been transformative for me already. The game seems to hitch a lot less when using certain powers in certain places.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Platinumed the game a few days ago, but I still cannot craft the level 2 and level 3 upgrades for Pierce.
It's the only weapon that I haven't been able to max out, and am still hoping they can resolve this problem before the DLC starts to drop.
I'd like all of my gear maxed out before then. I don't really use Pierce, but it's the principle of the thing.

Maybe the fix is for new saves and not retroactive? That would be garbage if true.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Does Epic have console like submissions for patches? Curious how this hit ps4 first because it sounds like a submission issue.

Edit: And it's out.

Last edited:

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Tried out the patch. Glad I can turn off film grain.

ON PS4 pro:
FPS drops are still pretty severe, but are notably shorter than before. Ca reduce time a but more by disabling supersampling(playing on a 1080p set).
Game still hitches pretty bad when exiting the pause menu.

An improvement.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
Tried out the patch. Glad I can turn off film grain.

ON PS4 pro:
FPS drops are still pretty severe, but are notably shorter than before. Ca reduce time a but more by disabling supersampling(playing on a 1080p set).
Game still hitches pretty bad when exiting the pause menu.

An improvement.

Yikes, that's a bummer.

Oct 27, 2017
Please, guys, I'm at work. Need some base PS4 impressions... Reddit so far has a couple of them and so far they range from "noticeably improvement" to "none".

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Base PS4, been playing only a couple of days so I wouldn't know how much improvement the patch has brought, but I got into two of those alert battles, with tons of enemies and objects flying around and the performance tanked hard.

Regular encounters and general performance are okay.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
"armchair devs" doesn't really work. I'm a software developer and everyone on my team does his work sitting in an armchair.
I'm sorry about the gender imbalance and future back issues. Maybe if you bought proper office chairs?

[edit] Apologies, I'm having a bad math day, and the sarcasm leaked out of my brain and onto my keyboard.

Last edited:

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
This is great news!! Really glad that it didn't take them long to put the update.

I'm having a great time with the game though the framerate really drops when there are too many enemies on screen.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Assuming the map and base-platform performance bump is noticeable, this arrived a lot faster than I feared. Great stuff.

Control was already in my top-5 for this year, warts and all.

Sep 12, 2018
Stuff like this makes me want the next generation of consoles to have an optional framerate counter just toggled by holding the home button and ticking a box.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
I thought this was about the PS4 controller and was shocked thinking it works on xbox.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Using Charge still reliably drops my FPS to single digits on Pro. Maybe I'll boot it up and see how it is on base.

Oct 27, 2017
Stuff like this makes me want the next generation of consoles to have an optional framerate counter just toggled by holding the home button and ticking a box.
What good is a frame rate counter if you can't adjust the settings of the game to try and optimize the game for frame rate? This is console gaming. They improved the experience so people playing normally run into less issues. They didn't change it so you can run around looking for performance hitches to you can scratch your odd curiosity itch. If a game has a poor frame rate, your eyes will let you know.

Sep 12, 2018
What good is a frame rate counter if you can't adjust the settings of the game to try and optimize the game for frame rate? This is console gaming. They improved the experience so people playing normally run into less issues. They didn't change it so you can run around looking for performance hitches to you can scratch your odd curiosity itch. If a game has a poor frame rate, your eyes will let you know.
As someone who likes the tech side of things I just thing it'd be a neat feature plus you actually can adjust settings in some games.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
So I installed and played Control on Base PS4 and the performance seems much better in battles than what I experience on the Pro. I used Central Research as that was always a problem, I'll hopefully attach a video of the same area on Pro soon.

Few things, I tried to see if the unpause stuff just cratered the frame rate like on Pro, it does. And loading times are terrible on base console! It also made my launch day PS4 kick up like a jet engine.

No idea why the video skips around like it does though, sorry. I've checked the capture locally and it does the same so it's an error on PS4 side.

Last edited:

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
So I installed and played Control on Base PS4 and the performance seems much better in battles than what I experience on the Pro. I used Central Research as that was always a problem, I'll hopefully attach a video of the same area on Pro soon.

Few things, I tried to see if the unpause stuff just cratered the frame rate like on Pro, it does. And loading times are terrible on base console! It also made my launch day PS4 kick up like a jet engine.

No idea why the video skips around like it does though, sorry. I've checked the capture locally and it does the same so it's an error on PS4 side.

Hey, I am looking to buy the game but held off due to the performance. In your experience how is it on the base ps4?

If it is anything like just cause 3 on base ps4, no thanks.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, I am looking to buy the game but held off due to the performance. In your experience how is it on the base ps4?

If it is anything like just cause 3 on base ps4, no thanks.

Oh its certainly much better than Just Cause 3, you've nothing to worry about there.

The performance dips but it corrects itself quickly so there aren't prolonged dips that make things unplayable.