• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
I was about to post the exact same question. Curious to hear if this turned out well (especially on PS4), since I looooved the original back in the days.

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
Småland, Sweden
I was about to post the exact same question. Curious to hear if this turned out well (especially on PS4), since I looooved the original back in the days.
I've played it for about half a hour on a the PS4 and had no troubles, seems running very well.

While a friend of mine on the PC can't run it at all, it crashes right away for him. Not sure if it's the game's fault or his computer though.

OP
OP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've played it for about half a hour on a the PS4 and had no troubles, seems running very well.

While a friend of mine on the PC can't run it at all, it crashes right away for him. Not sure if it's the game's fault or his computer though.

What are your impressions of the game itself? Is it as massive as I've read? From what I can gather, there is very little hand-holding in this game -- typical of late 90s titles. How's that aspect?

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
What are your impressions of the game itself? Is it as massive as I've read? From what I can gather, there is very little hand-holding in this game -- typical of late 90s titles. How's that aspect?
correct (I played the original)
I wouldn't call it massive. It's one of the early open world games, but the indivdual areas aren't super-huge or packed with modern-day filler content

was quite a surprise seeing this pop up on the Steam store today, I had no idea it even existed. I think I'll grab it for the PS4, I finally want to figure out how to make it to the damn jungle moon

Spaulding

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the original but something about this games feels off. The voices sound muffled and really low budget. Will wait for reviews before buying.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tried it on PS4 at Milan Games Week. It was really really rough, and it was only like 45 days ago, so I kinda doubt they fixed all that. There's some cool ideas and situations (did not play the original game) but in this state it's a bit hard to recommend.

bic

Oct 28, 2017
I loved the original but something about this games feels off. The voices sound muffled and really low budget. Will wait for reviews before buying.

The VO sounds the same to me as the original version, which is a problem lol

Otherwise, I'm very intrigued. I'll probably hold out for a sale, though, unless someone does a really convincing write-up, like with Elex.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was surprised to see this title was released specially when the kickstarter failed (if memory serves me right). If it's an improved version of the original I'll certainly pick it up bit I'm fairly sure that it is outdated by most standards. At the time of its release though it was bar-none the most impressive game I had ever played. It was like receiving a Mass Effect game a year after Half Life 1.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is a remake that had sadly very low budget, so both the music (which is amazingly good) and voice overs (which are...not quite as good) were reused from the 1999 original. Unfortunately those voiceovers have a low sound quality and could not be restored and they did not have the budget to re-record.

Outcast was absolutely mindblowing game back in the day, years and years ahead of anything else on the market pretty much. Unfortunately the remake, although making it more playable for today, seems exactly as lowbudgety as it is in comparison to today's AAA games. But the great game should still be there so I will probably give it a spin soon.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I've been keeping my eye on this for some time now. Never played the original but third person shooting, aliens worlds and pretty environments caught my eye.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Awful trailer. Doesn't capture the original at all. It should be in the spirit of Another World, Flashback, Heart Of Darkness or Stargate.
It also looks ugly to me, I don't see the magic.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phew, didn't realise this was out. Need to play it. Never got to the original but the organic "directions" system for NPCs was legendary (they dynamically give you directions to places - no objective or way point makers in the game).

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
Sweet, didn't realize this was out already. Probably wait for some impressions/reviews first, but as an owner of the original, I'm really interested.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I think I'll give this a pass for now and give ELEX a shot.
Well Outcast and ELEX are very different games. Don't expect anything like Outcast from ELEX.
Have not played the first one much, but I have Outcast 1.1 on steam which gives an extra 30% discount on Outcast:SC in the first month.
Played Outcast:SC a bit and its seems alright. Looks alright. Has a very lengthy intro cinematic and sequence. Seems quite open world-y. More action adventure than third person shooter; seems to have optional quests and good/evil approaches to give you advantages.
Had no problem starting it, but it crashed after I quit the game, lol.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I absolutely adored the original. What a masterpiece (of its time). I spend countless moons in the game and was blown away by seeing that every NPC is voiced. In the german version the main character was also dubbed by the Bruce Willes-VA, which has undoubtedly the most badass voice in the entirety of Germany.

I tried playing the original a few years back and it was simply not possible to get it to run right, because of the voxel engine, so I had to give up. I can't see myself currently getting into the game, since I currently play Elex, and the games are kinda similar, but I might dig in at some point in the future.

edit: I just noticed that the posters above me are saying Elex and Outcast aren't similar. x) Well not gameplay wise, but they do feel similar. Also, both are a bit on the clunky side of things.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I can't see myself currently getting into the game, since I currently play Elex, and the games are kinda similar, but I might dig in at some point in the future.

edit: I just noticed that the posters above me are saying Elex and Outcast aren't similar. x) Well not gameplay wise, but they do feel similar. Also, both are a bit on the clunky side of things.
How are the games similar? I am very curious in the similarities you see between the two games.
My Impressions in spoiler tags should someone feel my impressions after playing 2h Outcast:SC or ~16h ELEX are spoilery.
To me they feel extremely different. In Outcast you are the hero set out to save two worlds while in ELEX you are basically a nobody that can't do jack shit for dozens of hours. And both games really hammer those expects in. Outcast has you put in a very different alien world, the world in ELEX is post-apocalyptic with lots of 'old world' ruins and enemies are more mutations than fully alien. Gameplay feels extremely different.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
How are the games similar? I am very curious in the similarities you see between the two games.
My Impressions in spoiler tags should someone feel my impressions after playing 2h Outcast:SC or ~16h ELEX are spoilery.
To me they feel extremely different. In Outcast you are the hero set out to save two worlds while in ELEX you are basically a nobody that can't do jack shit for dozens of hours. And both games really hammer those expects in. Outcast has you put in a very different alien world, the world in ELEX is post-apocalyptic with lots of 'old world' ruins and enemies are more mutations than fully alien. Gameplay feels extremely different.
In both games you are a foreigner thrown into a world that is entirely different to your character's perspective. Be it the alien lifestyle in different towns in Outcast, or the different, drastically different factions in Elex. The movement also feels kinda similar and both have a crude ranged weapon system. The dialogue style as well as how the environment reacts to you also feel very similar. In general, how the world "works" in both games share similarities. But like I said, it's primarily how both games "feel".

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Huge fan of the original. Something seems to have been lost in the new coat of paint they gave it though, it seems to have lost some of its character and charm, and it does look a bit generic now. (Main character design)

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
In both games you are a foreigner thrown into a world that is entirely different to your character's perspective. Be it the alien lifestyle in different towns in Outcast, or the different, drastically different factions in Elex. The movement also feels kinda similar and both have a crude ranged weapon system. The dialogue style as well as how the environment reacts to you also feel very similar. In general, how the world "works" in both games share similarities. But like I said, it's primarily how both games "feel".
Well I guess we both fundamentally disagree on what makes up the feeling of a game.
I would say the bold description is very vague. I could list dozens of games with that premise that feel extremely different. Movement feels different for me, but I can kind of understand that point. Dialogue definitely feels different in Outcast:SC. Presentation is different and I have not encountered any real conversation choices.

Played some more; Games got some charm and is pretty alright. Movement, though, does not feel super great and jumping is awful. Thankfully I haven't encountered any necessary platforming yet.
Game deserves some more buzz here.
Doesn't someone with the proper rights want to make an OT?

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some comparison shots from steam forums

FECC4627D2D4298F0B79F2B17F82C18D063E3830

FE77FC080B4F074743DF6385A13E35F60B525D5E

760907F9FBD67E84BC43ECD450B3CCB5AE01B938

E74B20D053D014111E8C4FB3903AE2E0CB3FCA19

And yeah I find this game's lack of buzz disturbing.

Outcast literally is the Crysis of 1999. Its engine (dubbed Paradise) did so much stuff that you only would see years laters with shader based cards. To name a few:

- Impressive AI
- A physical sun
- Dynamic water that ripples (Like the stuff you see in Crysis)
- God rays
- Lens flares
- Depth of field
- Motion blur

and so much more... it looks bizarrely clean these days, but low res due to the voxels used, but Outcast 1999 could easily pass as a X360 title on extremely low res given all the shader like stuff it is doing in software.

Outcast really is part of a select few PC titles from the 90's that, mostly obscure, showcased tech that only became noticeable years later. Among these ranks Seed (A first person platformer with Doom 3 like lighting and shadowing on a mediocre Voodoo card) and Decay (Which later became New World Order) and Trespasser.

For anyone wanting to read up on the amazing tech, here is a few links:
http://www.fresh3d.com/outcast-1999
http://francksauer.com/index.php/15-games/published-games/47-outcast-pc

Outcast is visually one of the biggest developments in gaming. Everyone used Unreal as an example of high end graphics but Outcast, released just a year later, trounces all of them by a landslide. And you could play it in first person, too.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
True, game was way ahead of its time, shame nobody really played it back then -- well, partly because almost nobody could really play it probably.

Always wished for a sequel, not sure I'm into the remake though. It looks okay but, yeah, original Outcast was cutting edge while this seems to be somewhat the opposite. Although the comparison screenshots and the Eurogamer review make it appear somewhat decent.

Vorador

Oct 28, 2017
Man that voxel terrain has aged badly. Then again it was the only way to make big seamless maps on computers with 32-64 Mb of ram.

After i finish ELEX i may give the remake a spin.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Gameplay looks really rough, especially the action. Kind of inexcusable since it's a remake rather than just a remaster. The areas look too faithful to the original so really barren as well. System Shock Remake looks like what I'd want out of this sort of revival. At first they too were being too faithful to the original but that has since changed and it looks really well done now (hopefully it is), like what the original would aim for with better technology rather than higher fidelity in the nearly exact same old design constrained by the era's tech and know how. I'd be more inclined to play the re-release of the original than this remake myself, its age excuses the shortcomings.

DigitalDevil

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely adored the original so I will support this without question. Didn't even know it existed! Buying on PS4 today!

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
My friend was absolutely blown away by the original at the time. I didn't get the appeal then, maybe I should give it a decent shot too.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Yes, that was part of my criticism in that post. It's a remake yet hasn't improved in key areas by being too faithful, so, too remaster-like.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
So many good memories of this game. What was the protagonist or those inhabitants called ? Ulakai or something. When was the original, feels like more than a decade ago....

doctorcdcs

Oct 25, 2017
Screw it. I picked it up. I normally would hold off until it was part of a steam sale/bundle, but I still have my old boxed copy of the original game, gave money to the Kickstarter that never succeeded and have outcast 1.1 on both steam and gog. I need to show my support so that there's hope of an actual sequel.