• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Not to be confused with Obsidians "Outer Worlds" (which is also EpicStore exclusive)

"Outer Wilds will first be released on XBox One and on PC via the Epic Games Store with additional platforms coming later"

https://www.reddit.com/r/outerwilds/comments/bn4jfe/epic_store_timed_exclusive_confirmed/
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/outer-wilds/updates/912?media_id=i75

Original crowdfunding campaign:
MlIGhEV.jpg

Second crowdfunding game to do this after Phoenix Point.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Do any of those crowdfunding sites have options to demand a refund if the manufacturer willingly states they are unwilling to deliver the advertised product?

Futterish

Half of F-Squared
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Shame on them for not time traveling to the year 2019 to learn that a new competitor would offer them better revenue share.

SHAAAAAAAAME

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
they get so much cash that every crowd funder could ask for their money back and they'd still be ahead

of course that's only short term. why anyone on earth would ever back another project by them ever again i wouldn't understand.

also it's always good to see them entice linux users and then just cut them out of the fold for moneys sake alone

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Outer Wilds is anAnnapurna published game and they have been majorly in bed with EGS.

I recall Outer Wilds devs saying in Discord or somewhere, after the EGS first launched, that their game would still be on Steam.

Shame as I've been looking forward to this one since the free alpha more than 5 years ago. What's waiting another year?

Nov 8, 2017
"currently, we're planning to" isnt "we are going to"

In the context of the sentence immediately following it, that reads as "currently we plan only a steam release on PC, but hope to also bring it other places later". Not "we plan to do a steam release but maybe we won't actually do a steam release until 12 months after launch".

AxeVince

Oct 26, 2017
EGS barely existed if not was inexistant at the time, no wonder plans can change.
"Planning to" does not indicate a clear future.
Game dev is expensive and KS money is peanuts for any game project where a decent salary is expected, if that is what they needed to get enough money to pay their devs and release the game, no problem here.

Nov 8, 2017
Shame on them for not time traveling to the year 2019 to learn that a new competitor would offer them better revenue share.

SHAAAAAAAAME

Yes, these developers are all just coincidentally deciding to be very specifically 12 months exclusive (or 6 months for Borderlands) because of the revenue share difference. And they're not putting their game on other stores and launchers that also offer lower revenue splits. For 12 months precisely. Definitely no other motivation and no deals involved.

AmbientRuin

Apr 18, 2019
Hopefully Nintendo Sony and Microsoft follow suit and pull all their games out of retail. Used game sales are bad for business

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I sure hope they offer refunds to backers who paid expecting this to be on Steam.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Promises to investors/patrons should not be broken lightly. If you cant make a deal with Epic that satisfies your current obligations you dont make the deal.

Nov 23, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): thread whining, hostility, trolling + recent infractions for similar
how many more threads do we really need that are essentially "I'm stamping my feet and having a tantrum because my toys are now only available somewhere else"

You didn't make the game, you just clicked a button on kick starter and somehow now feel entitled to something that was only vaguely written years ago.

They have the right to do whatever they want with it.

Nov 8, 2017
You know the money from Epic only comes in exchange for some form of exclusivity ?

Yes, but that was not what the person he responded to was commenting on. They talked about the revenue split, not the exclusivity deal payment.

Read both sentences, not just those few words. They're saying they're currently planning a Steam relese but might also go somewhere else after Steam. They are not saying that there is any doubt about there being a Steam release; that is the baseline minimum they suggest and it's going to other platforms that they are referring to as things they may not do.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
how many more threads do we really need that are essentially "I'm stamping my feet and having a tantrum because my toys are now only available somewhere else"

You didn't make the game, you just clicked a button on kick starter and somehow now feel entitled to something that was only vaguely written years ago.

and people who handed them money have the right to tell them to fuck off

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how all these time exclusive EpicStore games will perform on Steam in a year time.

i would assume sales of any game on steam is largely backloaded beyond its first year when discounts start (which, will there even be "Epic sales"?) so probably business as usual, more or less

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
If they won't have a Steam release by launch, backers should have the right to demand their pledge funds back.

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017

Every single game that comes out on EGS. Sometimes more than one.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia

I'm used to bad takes from trolls but this is something else lol

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but that was not what the person he responded to was commenting on. They talked about the revenue split, not the exclusivity deal payment.

Read both sentences, not just those few words. They're saying they're currently planning a Steam relese but might also go somewhere else after Steam. They are not saying that there is any doubt about there being a Steam release; that is the baseline minimum they suggest and it's going to other platforms that they are referring to as things they may not do.

I read the sentence fully. That dude is still right. The plan at the time as they said themselves was a steam release with more platforms to follow that. That plan changed.

Nov 8, 2017

Could you point out people in this thread who you believe are having a tantrum, or suggesting that what they have done is actually illegal / beyond the scope of their legal rights?

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR

Is there a memory limit or something? Are we going to run out of space for new threads? New news, new thread.

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
As a backer of many projects the replies on this thread are making me uncomfortable, to say the least
Crowfounding is a matter of trust, you don't slap a platform on a game and then you do whatever you want. Being a backer isn't just clicking a button, like what the hell? Such an ignorant take, era is just a violet 4chan at this point

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I love how stupid this post is. You act like these people didn't y'know pay money for this product and just clicked a button.

Gee I wonder why people who paid money for a product feel entitled to recieving said product the way they were told they would.

Fuck the linux backers amirite tho.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Game Backlogs are so out of control these days so it's nice of these devs to lighten the load and help me skip their game entirely.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As a backer of many project the replies on this thread are making me uncomfortable, to say the least
Crowfounding is a matter of trust, you don't slap a platform on a game and then you do whatever you want. Being a backer isn't just clicking a button, like what the hell? Such an ignorant take.
Whatever it takes to justify Epic's presence and actions while giving it as little genuine thought as possible

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey I got in before the (see staff post).

This is a pretty shitty thing to do to your backers, but seems par for the course for EGS dealings. But hey, they'll have cloud saves soon, I guess.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's not like they could've predicted EGS would offer them a better deal.
Indeed they offer *them* a better deal.. but a much worse deal to backers who expected to have Steam's functionality.
Backing a game isn't a preorder. Things change during development.
Crowdfunding a game isn't saying whatever it takes to get as much money from backers then doing whatever you like once you have it. I hope for their sake they don't count on going on Fig/Kickstarter for another project ever again.

Last edited:

AmbientRuin

Apr 18, 2019
Epic is good and their continued exploitation of children is cool and good so long as I get to pick the skins and get the games I want. Just click the store front you fucking loser

Fortnite!