• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Hmm, the game is really smooth for me. But I'm on an Xbox One X.

Edit: I asked a friend of mine for you, and he says the only place he gets stuttering is at the very start of a loop on the elevator. Other than that, no stuttering at all. He's on an original Xbone. Not even an S.
Alright, thanks a lot man!

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
:'( I wish I could help. This game is so wonderful.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help us fix your issue. Maybe you need to do a reinstall?

Well, i'm thinking maybe i did something wrong. Last week i changed the fan of the One S cause it made a very disturbing noise, i replaced it with one i had here. pretty simple installation, nothing went wrong.
I'm thinking maybe the fan isn't positioned right or spinning fast enough, which makes the temp to go up and reduce the clock speeds, causing the stutter.
Air is very hot coming directly from the top of the fan, so it's doing its job but now i'm starting to doubt my job.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Well, i'm thinking maybe i did something wrong. Last week i changed the fan of the One S cause it made a very disturbing noise, i replaced it with one i had here. pretty simple installation, nothing went wrong.
I'm thinking maybe the fan isn't positioned right or spinning fast enough, which makes the temp to go up and reduce the clock speeds, causing the stutter.
Air is very hot coming directly from the top of the fan, so it's doing its job but now i'm starting to doubt my job.
Oh, interesting. I've never replaced any parts on my consoles. I had a One S for a while, and I don't remember the air coming out to ever be all that hot. Just kind of warm. Maybe that's the issue?

Have you been playing any other games in the meantime? Are they running okay?

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to get the sun achievement sucks. The flying in this game is ridiculous

Also I'm missing some logs from gabbro's island. I know one of them is bugged according to the dev but I can't get the other two. ANybody know how to get them?

Last edited:

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
I think the gabbro's island ship logs are bugged. I have only 1/4 logs, and can't seem to unlock the the 3 I'm missing. Those are the only ship logs I have left to unlock the achievement.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
I think the gabbro's island ship logs are bugged. I have only 1/4 logs, and can't seem to unlock the the 3 I'm missing. Those are the only ship logs I have left to unlock the achievement.
Me too. I only have the one that Gabbro is lounging. One is about a statue but the recent patch made it so that one isn't needed for the achievement. No idea how to get the other two. Went ahead and got every other log as well as beat the game but still can't get those two.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
Me too. I only have the one that Gabbro is lounging. One is about a statue but the recent patch made it so that one isn't needed for the achievement. No idea how to get the other two. Went ahead and got every other log as well as beat the game but still can't get those two.
Yeah you need to talk with him before the first loop, and right after the first and second one.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Trying to get the sun achievement sucks. The flying in this game is ridiculous

Also I'm missing some logs from gabbro's island. I know one of them is bugged according to the dev but I can't get the other two. ANybody know how to get them?
I gave up on the sun achievement. Fuck it. Actually love the flying in that game, but holy shit trying to land on that station is the pits.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Played this for probably 5-6 hours over the long weekend. Basically at the point where I know how to beat the game (I'm pretty sure) but trying to explore a few more areas to fill out the log. Really haven't been grabbed by a game this way in awhile, definitely one of my favorites of all time.
No game I've played does exploration so well, except maybe Metroid Prime. Realized this game scratches a lot of the same itches as a great metroidvania, except rather than finding power-ups to navigate the world you gain knowledge about how things work and things start to make more and more sense as you explore the world and lore.

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the game the other night, such an incredible experience. It all just worked so well and felt like I was genuinely solving all these mysteries, and those 'aha!' moments when you finally put something together and figure out something you saw many hours earlier are great.

Only a couple of things I struggled with and looked up that i'm guessing quite a few others did.

Getting into the Ash Twin core. I totally understood the warps, and had seen the text about the six warps / five celestial bodies, but I was convinced that had something to with the Quantum Moon even after i'd been there and fully explored it. I was hanging around on the Ash Twin until all the ash had drained away waiting to find a gap or a low down entrance. Not sure what they could do to help with this that doesn't make it overly obvious as it's clearly one of the last places you're supposed to end up in.

Activating the warp on The Vessel - that just didn't seem very intuitive compared to how other mechanisms in the game worked. Maybe just have a separate wee tower to the side with a label on it?

Will be very surprised if something dethrones this as GOTY for me.

Oct 25, 2017
The way the story all comes together is pretty nuts. Really the only bit that disappointed me a little was
how little you learn really at the quantum moon. Heck lot to get there... Don't really learn much.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Popping in to say I started this game earlier in the week and I'm absolutely enthralled. Only a few hours into it but I can't stop thinking about it... so far I've been able to progress pretty naturally on my own but I just worry about getting to a point where I don't know what to do and having to Google it! Haha

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played this game for an hour and man, it seems incredible but I'm scared shitless. Space is just terrifying to me.

I wanted to look for the ruins on the moon but I was scared because it was too dark, even with my flashlight. So I went back to the original planet, and happened to land where the harmonica signal was coming from a weird tomato looking thing. I shot a scout drone inside it, and there's a fucking giant anglerfish in there.

Game is unnerving as fuck. Honestly idk if I can keep playing, I think I just have a phobia of being stranded alone in the void. Same reason I didn't play subnautica.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, just hit 'New Expedition' by accident, and lost my entire progress.

That's a fucking bummer.

Terin

Oct 31, 2017
Welp, just hit 'New Expedition' by accident, and lost my entire progress.

That's a fucking bummer.
You still have your knowledge, though, which is a huge part of the game. You lose access to the unlocks on the ship logs, but you should know how to hit the major beats if you want to fill that out again.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
You still have your knowledge, though, which is a huge part of the game. You lose access to the unlocks on the ship logs, but you should know how to hit the major beats if you want to fill that out again.

Thanks for this reassurance, I thought I wouldn't immediately be able to do this again:

Land on the Quantum Moon

But after a few tries I was able to do so again :)

Oct 25, 2017
OK, I've refrained from spoilers all along but could use a little clarification on one part:

After going to the Twin Ash planet and
using the teleporter to go to Brittle Hollow
, I keep crashing and dying when
I try to enter the Black Forge by walking up the small stairs, inverting and then falling.
I use my jetpack to slow down, but it doesn't help --- the fall is too much everytime. Resetting the game to get to this point again takes so long and it is getting frustrating.

Can someone confirm that this is not the right way? That I must do something else to
enter the Black Forge
and that it's not just as simple as slowing down enough during the fall?

No need to tell me what to actually do ; I'd rather discover that on my own ; but if my current approach is wrong, it would be great to know so that I stop wasting 10-15 minute chunks of gameplay at a time.....

rabathehutch

Nov 1, 2017
OK, I've refrained from spoilers all along but could use a little clarification on one part:

After going to the Twin Ash planet and
using the teleporter to go to Brittle Hollow
, I keep crashing and dying when
I try to enter the Black Forge by walking up the small stairs, inverting and then falling.
I use my jetpack to slow down, but it doesn't help --- the fall is too much everytime. Resetting the game to get to this point again takes so long and it is getting frustrating.

Can someone confirm that this is not the right way? That I must do something else to
enter the Black Forge
and that it's not just as simple as slowing down enough during the fall?

No need to tell me what to actually do ; I'd rather discover that on my own ; but if my current approach is wrong, it would be great to know so that I stop wasting 10-15 minute chunks of gameplay at a time.....

I recommend you keep exploring The Hanging City.

I think it's possible technically possible to do it the way you're doing it now but it's a lot more difficult and I certainly didn't do it that way.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Finished it today. What an absolutely profound game and beautiful ending.

Tragically this is like a top 5 all time in "games you wish you could desperately forget so you could experience them fresh again".

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a new patch added 4K support for Xbox One X. Will definitely check out tonight after work!

Theodoricos

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, I recently started playing the game and I've got a question about Ash Twin.

So the way to the tower that launches you towards the Sun Station is completely surrounded by those spiky bushes. Am I really expected to fly through that room without puncturing my suit, or is there another way in?

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Hey guys, I recently started playing the game and I've got a question about Ash Twin.

So the way to the tower that launches you towards the Sun Station is completely surrounded by those spiky bushes. Am I really expected to fly through that room without puncturing my suit, or is there another way in?
Fly to that planet fast and pay attention to the way the sand gets sucked to Ember twin
Specifically go to the sun building, it is shaped like the sun and pokes through the sand first stick around it and watch for any openings you can get in.
as the sand goes down a door will open up and you can run in over the spikey things before the sand gets lower and exposes them its la bit of a maze but pretty easy to figure out if you enter doorway as soon as its open enough for you to fit

Oct 25, 2017
So I am rapidly approaching the end, I believe, and ran into a strange snag:

I managed to discover the 3rd escape pod and the Vessel within Dark Bramble by using the signalscope and locking on to the escape pod's distress signal. I also managed to enter Ash Twin core and retrieve the warp core. However, on a subsequent playthrough, when I retrieved the warp core and proceeded to Dark Bramble to find the Vessel, I couldn't find a distress signal! I entered Dark Bramble, headed towards the red light, floated to the red egg center, and when I equipped my signalscope and switched to the distress beacon mode, I couldn't find a signal, no matter which direction I turned.

Is something screwed up? Is the
3rd escape pod's distress beacon
turned off now that I've discovered
the vessel
?

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
So I am rapidly approaching the end, I believe, and ran into a strange snag:

I managed to discover the 3rd escape pod and the Vessel within Dark Bramble by using the signalscope and locking on to the escape pod's distress signal. I also managed to enter Ash Twin core and retrieve the warp core. However, on a subsequent playthrough, when I retrieved the warp core and proceeded to Dark Bramble to find the Vessel, I couldn't find a distress signal! I entered Dark Bramble, headed towards the red light, floated to the red egg center, and when I equipped my signalscope and switched to the distress beacon mode, I couldn't find a signal, no matter which direction I turned.

Is something screwed up? Is the
3rd escape pod's distress beacon
turned off now that I've discovered
the vessel
?
The Dark Bramble isn't the same every time. You need to use the signalscope every time from the outside.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I just beat this last night. What an amazing game! I was skeptical of the many "This is the best thing I've played all year" articles in the first few hours, but once this game clicks, man does it click. The way things unfolded reminded me a lot of the amazement and wonder I felt playing through Fez for the first time and discovering many of the deeper secrets that were hidden throughout the world. If anything, my only complaint is games like this make me sad because that wondrous feeling only really comes out your first time through the game, and on your second pass you're already fully aware of what the game has in store for you so it can never hit in the same way again.

Incredible, just absolutely incredible though. I think this probably hit my top 10 games ever list, or at the very least my top 10 list of why the video game medium is so fantastic. It's not a perfect game per se; I certainly ran into moments of 'indie jank' where I'd clip through the environment or spin out of control for no reason or the environment would bug out for a bit, occasionally I'd hit a puzzle that left me scratching my head that I just had to Google (though in those cases I probably would have figured it out eventually regardless), and some of the puzzles require some waiting around that can be annoying, but despite all this I think this game does do what it intends to perfectly. It enthralls you with its world, using every inch of the universe with purpose. It keeps you hungry to chase down just one more clue until you reach the finale. It connects you to characters you barely even talk to, or who you've never even met and have been dead for ages. I can't gush about it enough.

I'm also surprised at how few people have heard about this game. I'm sure the EGS kerfuffle had a bit to do with it, and the Outer Wilds/World confusion probably isn't doing it any favors, but I really hope it picks up more steam when, uh, it releases on Steam. This game needs to be played!!

Oct 28, 2017
God that last bit at that ending got me so hard, i was waiting for it the whole game and when it happened it was perfect.
getting the band back and playing the song together

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I'm also surprised at how few people have heard about this game. I'm sure the EGS kerfuffle had a bit to do with it, and the Outer Wilds/World confusion probably isn't doing it any favors, but I really hope it picks up more steam when, uh, it releases on Steam. This game needs to be played!!

For sure. I'm only a small way into the game but I'm already deeply impressed. It is a truly amazing experience.

Oct 26, 2017
Guys I just started this for the first time and it's unnerving and intimidating all at once. Do I just keep blowing it until something clicks?

is this one of those games where I explore a planet and then have to backtrack once something is revealed on a different planet?

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Guys I just started this for the first time and it's unnerving and intimidating all at once. Do I just keep blowing it until something clicks?

is this one of those games where I explore a planet and then have to backtrack once something is revealed on a different planet?

How far in are you? How do you enjoy your journey so far?
There's definitely scary things you see on different planets, so the unnerving feeling will likely stay with you.
The game definitely needs you to visit and try a lot of things, sometimes over several visits. I guess you can call it backtracking, but the amount needed depends on your way of exploring things. You'll get better with that over time. There's a ship log that keeps track of your discoveries so far, and will point you to places that still hold secrets.

Oct 26, 2017
How far in are you? How do you enjoy your journey so far?
There's definitely scary things you see on different planets, so the unnerving feeling will likely stay with you.
The game definitely needs you to visit and try a lot of things, sometimes over several visits. I guess you can call it backtracking, but the amount needed depends on your way of exploring things. You'll get better with that over time. There's a ship log that keeps track of your discoveries so far, and will point you to places that still hold secrets.

I just booted it up for first time yesterday. Having a hard time controlling the ship much less land on a planet. Managed to land on two different planets one with the sand storm orbiting around it and the other with a giant fish that lives in the center. Died 5 mins on each after landing. All I'm doing is dying really.

rabathehutch

Nov 1, 2017
I just booted it up for first time yesterday. Having a hard time controlling the ship much less land on a planet. Managed to land on two different planets one with the sand storm orbiting around it and the other with a giant fish that lives in the center. Died 5 mins on each after landing. All I'm doing is dying really.
I'd recommend flying to The Attlerock, the moon of your home planet first. It has much less ways to die than all the other places you can explore so is a good place to get used to the traversal. Also, an essential part of the game is dying, I probably died 100s of times before getting to the end of the game so don't beat yourself up too much about that. Just take your time and translate everything you can find; that will add information to your ship's log that maps everything out which makes it easier to identify the important facts.

Oct 26, 2017
I'd recommend flying to The Attlerock, the moon of your home planet first. It has much less ways to die than all the other places you can explore so is a good place to get used to the traversal. Also, an essential part of the game is dying, I probably died 100s of times before getting to the end of the game so don't beat yourself up too much about that. Just take your time and translate everything you can find; that will add information to your ship's log that maps everything out which makes it easier to identify the important facts.

Will do it! Thanks.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017

Remember to press A or whichever keyboard key it is to match speed and align your ship with whatever you are approaching, it will help greatly with landing.
Hold the right shoulder button and use R stick to rotate your ship.
The game has a anti-gravity tutorial in one of the caves on Timber Hearth, but it never tells you that most of the controls you learn there also work when on your ship.
And yeah, flying the ship feels a bit wonky, the Hearthians space program is not exactly the most advanced in the universe. :D

Plum

May 31, 2018
I really don't have the patience for this game, unfortunately, so I've decided to just leave it be. All my fault as I tend to get stressed really easily when I don't really know what to do and I don't want to do the game a disservice by looking up a guide for every step. It's a shame as I loved the original demo but, now that the game has an actual ending and more goals and puzzles to achieve, I'm simply not enjoying it :(

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Finally wrapped it up, and this game was phenomenal; still have questions though.. spoilers, obv, so masked as no one should be spoiled on this amazing game:

• Is the interloper responsible for destroying the sun in an accelerated fashion?
    • The journey through the game indicates that the Nomai believe the universe is ending. Their computers and sensors show readouts that the Hearthian star is at the natural end of it's life cycle.
    • Yet, when you begin the game the sun appears to be quite stable, yellow and not a red giant, and the Hearthian scientists believe that while their star will nova one day, it is in the far distant future.
    • The end begins when the Interloper crashes into the sun. We know that the Interloper is full of ghost matter, at least enough to blanket the entire solar system.
    • But, the interloper is not new. It has been there a long time, long enough it is on the paper star charts along with all of the other planets.
    • Was it crashed into the sun deliberately by the Ash Twin project to begin the supernova? Or was the sun already naturally dying and its larger size and altered gravity account for the Interlopers course change, causing it to impact the sun unrelated to causing the star to collapse?
  • What killed the Nomai?
    • The stories happened so long ago, that it seems like you should believe they simply went extinct, or maybe even that they had found a way to leave the system and join the nomads.
    • Yet. everywhere you go, all over the ruins, dead Nomai are everywhere. Laying in beds. Sitting at tables or workbenches. Floating in space suits. It's like some calamity struck them all down at once, unexpectedly.
  • Who had the third Nomai mask in the Ash Twin core?
    • Most masks are dark, but 3 are lit:
      • One for the player.
      • One for Gabbro on Giants Deep.
      • One for...? I used to think it was Solanum. But, she is neither alive nor dead, in a place without time? I suppose there is no one else it could be, but it seems like it doesn't quite fit.

rabathehutch

Nov 1, 2017
Finally wrapped it up, and this game was phenomenal; still have questions though.. spoilers, obv, so masked as no one should be spoiled on this amazing game:

• Is the interloper responsible for destroying the sun in an accelerated fashion?
    • The journey through the game indicates that the Nomai believe the universe is ending. Their computers and sensors show readouts that the Hearthian star is at the natural end of it's life cycle.
    • Yet, when you begin the game the sun appears to be quite stable, yellow and not a red giant, and the Hearthian scientists believe that while their star will nova one day, it is in the far distant future.
    • The end begins when the Interloper crashes into the sun. We know that the Interloper is full of ghost matter, at least enough to blanket the entire solar system.
    • But, the interloper is not new. It has been there a long time, long enough it is on the paper star charts along with all of the other planets.
    • Was it crashed into the sun deliberately by the Ash Twin project to begin the supernova? Or was the sun already naturally dying and its larger size and altered gravity account for the Interlopers course change, causing it to impact the sun unrelated to causing the star to collapse?
  • What killed the Nomai?
    • The stories happened so long ago, that it seems like you should believe they simply went extinct, or maybe even that they had found a way to leave the system and join the nomads.
    • Yet. everywhere you go, all over the ruins, dead Nomai are everywhere. Laying in beds. Sitting at tables or workbenches. Floating in space suits. It's like some calamity struck them all down at once, unexpectedly.
    • Most masks are dark, but 3 are lit:
      • One for the player.
      • One for Gabbro on Giants Deep.
      • One for...? I used to think it was Solanum. But, she is neither alive nor dead, in a place without time? I suppose there is no one else it could be, but it seems like it doesn't quite fit.
    • The Nomai tried to blow up the Sun and trigger the Ash Twin Project using the Sun Station but it was a failure. The Interloper arrived shortly after this (which I'll get to below).
    • The Interloper actually has nothing to do with the supernova the Sun has just gotten older and is dying. In fact all the stars in the solar system are dying and if you talk to (I think?) Chert later in a loop he will tell you that he can see stars dying and you can tell him the Sun is dying as well. This will make him very sad and he won't talk to you again in that loop. The Sun is actually growing and becoming a darker red throughout each loop and you're right that it becomes large enough to alter the path of the Interloper.
  • What killed the Nomai?
    • The Nomai were killed when the object containing the ghost matter exploded in the Interloper and spread ghost matter across the solar system. It's implied the Hearthians survived because they were still aquatic creatures at the time and ghost matter isn't able to penetrate water.
    • The third mask is for the probe that sends the location of the Eye back after each loop.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I love this game so so much.

Quick question though I seem to have a clock that counts down every time I restart and there is a big whooshing noise and lots of rumble and I die. I'm assuming there is no way to avoid that right?

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
I love this game so so much.

Quick question though I seem to have a clock that counts down every time I restart and there is a big whooshing noise and lots of rumble and I die. I'm assuming there is no way to avoid that right?

You will probably soon find out how your question ties into all the other mysteries. For now just keep an eye on the clock and your surrounding, until you have a better idea of why this happens.