• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else get this on PS4 today? Enjoying it so far and I absolutely love the atmosphere.

Beeblebrox

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else get this on PS4 today? Enjoying it so far and I absolutely love the atmosphere.
Does it run well? I'm 99% sure I'm going to buy it tonight, just need to hear someone say it's fine performance-wise :D

(And this is just because I vaguely remember reading about it running poorly on Xbox, but now I'm seeing comments in this thread saying it's fine even on regular One, so I guess there's nothing to fear :D)

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Does it run well? I'm 99% sure I'm going to buy it tonight, just need to hear someone say it's fine performance-wise :D

(And this is just because I vaguely remember reading about it running poorly on Xbox, but now I'm seeing comments in this thread saying it's fine even on regular One, so I guess there's nothing to fear :D)
Runs fine from what I've played so far.

Oct 29, 2017
Hope everyone on PS4 has a blast with this.

Not really, framerate is quite is choppy even on PS4 pro, and in my first couple of hours I already had some pretty weird stuff happening.

First I had to repair my ship due to some rough landing and after repairing it, the thing flies away into outer space leaving me stranded.

Then, while I was exploring the underground of Brittle Hollow, suddenly I see the whole crust of the planet collapsing and then I'm teleported into space and end up like 20 kilometers away from my previous location and my ship.

Just, WTF is up with this game?

Oct 27, 2017
Not really, framerate is quite is choppy even on PS4 pro, and in my first couple of hours I already had some pretty weird stuff happening.

First I had to repair my ship due to some rough landing and after repairing it, the thing flies away into outer space leaving me stranded.

Then, while I was exploring the underground of Brittle Hollow, suddenly I see the whole crust of the planet collapsing and then I'm teleported into space and end up like 20 kilometers away from my previous location and my ship.

Just, WTF is up with this game?
Neither of the two thing you mentioned are bugs or problems with the game. Only read if you want to be spoiled about mechanics: The first: was probably just a quirk with how the games gravity mechanics work, depends on where you landed and how and if it was actually stable. The second: the planet falls apart randomly based on volcanic meteors from it's moon that land on it, and you got teleported away because there's a black hole in the center

My recommendation: Just play the game, read the stuff it presents you and follow the narrative threads. The game is crafted very specifically to draw you from place to place, everything that happens happens for a reason. So just explore and pay attention.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Well, I kept pushing and got stuck at the "Tower of Quantum Knowledge". I spent almost a whole loop trying to find an entrance, then the supernova hits and now I'm supposed to travel all the way back...

... yeah, this game is just not for me :( shame, because the first 2 hours were really interesting. Thanks anyway for the encouraging words.

I still wanna try Return of the Obra Dinn this friday though, since I usually enjoy mistery stuff. How does it compare to the Outer Wilds?

Last edited:

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm extremely jealous of everyone getting to experience this for the first time this week

Well, I kept pushing and got stuck at the "Tower of Quantum Knowledge". I spent almost a whole loop trying to find an entrance, then the supernova hits and now I'm supposed to travel all the way back...

... yeah, this game is just not for me :( shame, because the first 2 hours were really interesting. Thanks anyway for the encouraging words.

I still wanna try Return of the Obra Dinn this friday though, since I usually enjoy mistery stuff. How does it compare to the Outer Wilds?
Without major spoilers
You definitely did NOT just sit there until the sun went Nova trying to waltz up the tower. It is specifically a timed puzzle, and once the time hits it should be pretty obvious.
The tower falls into the black hole after 10-15 minutes into the loop, and ends up floating in space. You just float into it then.

Last edited:

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
If you get stuck in the game, I'd advise just doing a different part of the puzzle. It really doesn't work if you try and solve everything linearly.
The answers to the earlier problems often become obvious as you understand how the world works.
A lot of the game is going "what the fuck was that all about", then realising about 2 hours later "oh, the aliens are talking about that thing that made no sense before!"

I haven't solved the tower of quantum knowledge yet, or worked out how dark bramble works. But I've found out a lot about dark bramble from other areas, which gives me some good ideas for when I go back. I'm also stuck on the missing moon problem, but I've found out enough about it that I think I'll know what to do when I get to the right location. There's a problem involving a piece of the moon on another planet, which gives me some big clues.

Sun station spoiler (fairly mild):
I reached this "the proper way" but did something stupid and died. Rather than jumping through the various hoops to get there again, I had a go at just crash landing the spaceship into it and got really close. It made me wonder if it's possible, and apparently it is - and you even get an achievement for it.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Picked this up yesterday and had a lot of fun already. I managed to die before hitting the statue, which triggered the credits much to my amusement.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bought this yesterday and it has it's hooks in me. I'm only three cycles in but it's very good so far. The use of music, the time loop, the aesthetic - it's all superb. I'm even starting to get the hang of that damn ship. 😂

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Surprisingly few PlayStation 4 reviews are out that I can find. I know this game rated well so the quality is really good. Any conversations about performance before I purchase?

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Surprisingly few PlayStation 4 reviews are out that I can find. I know this game rated well so the quality is really good. Any conversations about performance before I purchase?

I've only noticed a very occasional drop in frames when things are particularly busy, but nowt to write home about. Bear in mind that my threshold for this sort of thing is much higher than the average ERA member 😂

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
I've only noticed a very occasional drop in frames when things are particularly busy, but nowt to write home about. Bear in mind that my threshold for this sort of thing is much higher than the average ERA member 😂
Thanks! You on base or PS4 pro?

Last edited:

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! You on base or PS4 pro?

I'm on:

tumblr_nuv8zcVkh61sp8304o4_500.gif

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Bought this on PS4 (base) and wow, it's awesome. Went in completely blind and didn't even know the general gameplay loop. But god damn, this game is freaking scary.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Having a great time with this still, I love how I can tackle this in bite-sized chunks if I want.

Are there upgrades to your capabilities? Do you ever get a way to deal with the ghostfire?

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Every new discovery is pure bliss. I'm trying to understand how they've hooked me so quickly.

Oct 27, 2017
This is game spooky? I dont enjoy horror in any medium.
Not inherently, no. There are a few areas with tense moments but there's nothing horror about this game.

Having a great time with this still, I love how I can tackle this in bite-sized chunks if I want.

Are there upgrades to your capabilities? Do you ever get a way to deal with the ghostfire?
Spoiler: You do not get any kind of capability upgrades. Everything is based on knowledge

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Not inherently, no. There are a few areas with tense moments but there's nothing horror about this game.

Spoiler: You do not get any kind of capability upgrades. Everything is based on knowledge
Not on its surface but it captures the existential terror of space better than you might expect from the aesthetic
Oh cool if it just intense atmosphere then i dig it. Thanks for awensering.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
On PS4 pro and it's definitely not always smooth (hitches) but I'm. It sure it matters in a game like this..

question, how often does it save? My only option is to quit and the warning says you will lose all progress.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
On PS4 pro and it's definitely not always smooth (hitches) but I'm. It sure it matters in a game like this..

question, how often does it save? My only option is to quit and the warning says you will lose all progress.

So, the non-(potentially)spoilery explanation is that it saves after a certain event that you cannot possibly miss. You will know what I'm talking about., you just have to keep going.

The (potential) spoiler version is:

After every time-loop resets.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
So, the non-(potentially)spoilery explanation is that it saves after a certain event that you cannot possibly miss. You will know what I'm talking about., you just have to keep going.

The (potential) spoiler version is:

After every time-loop resets.
Thanks. Got it.

Any good non spoilery beginner tips? Rightnow it's charming but it's like "me, fucking up and stumbling around: the game"

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Got it.

Any good non spoilery beginner tips? Rightnow it's charming but it's like "me, fucking up and stumbling around: the game"
Hard to discuss specific tips without spoiling. The spoiler that the person above posted is only the most minor of spoilers - it's the main mechanic of the game.

I would say generally, just wander around and start to piece together WHAT you might want to do, early on you get a bit of guidance from npcs but it's just suggestions, it's all nonlinear, but it may feel a bit more directed if you listen to them.

When you hear/read/learn about something, it will show up in your ship's log on your ship, and THAT always persists and will track what you've heard, what you've done, and when you've completely exhausted a location of new information. The ship log is the best single place to look if you ever want to figure out somewhere to go.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
This game is so damn cool, it's just a bit of a shame that it can be so enormously frustrating at the same time when loops are wasted because of one small fuckup. If I fall into that black hole one more time I might lose my mind. I know it lets you warp back but it wastes so much time that it's not even worth it. The Ember Twin has been similarly irritating at times with its even shorter time limit compared to the rest of the game. Ultimately, the annoyances are a relatively minor price to pay for how brilliantly the mysteries unravel and how fun it is to stumble upon new discoveries. Hopefully it remains that engrossing all the way through to the end.

Also, holy shit that first voyage into Dark Bramble scared the fuck out of me. I found Feldspar the 2nd time but I'm dreading having to go back to find out what's up with the Vessel and 3rd pod.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
the game isn't super punishing per se because you can get anywhere quite fast and the progress is always saved and tells you where there's more stuff to do, but i am really surprised i saw so many glowing reviews for this game when it really does make you deal with funky controls and questionable geometry (stairs are an enemy) and the fact that you die very easily and often out of the blue. it's surprising to me that everyone i saw wasn't complaining about this pissing them off

i'm enjoying it and enjoying my sci fi narrative experience and hope i can do some cool stuff soon, and i am simultaneously impressed with and angered by how each planet has its own way of enraging me

This game is so damn cool, it's just a bit of a shame that it can be so enormously frustrating at the same time when loops are wasted because of one small fuckup. If I fall into that black hole one more time I might lose my mind. I know it lets you warp back but it wastes so much time that it's not even worth it. The Ember Twin has been similarly irritating at times with its even shorter time limit compared to the rest of the game. Ultimately, the annoyances are a relatively minor price to pay for how brilliantly the mysteries unravel and how fun it is to stumble upon new discoveries. Hopefully it remains that engrossing all the way through to the end.

fuck these in particular

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
the game isn't super punishing per se because you can get anywhere quite fast and the progress is always saved and tells you where there's more stuff to do, but i am really surprised i saw so many glowing reviews for this game when it really does make you deal with funky controls and questionable geometry (stairs are an enemy) and the fact that you die very easily and often out of the blue. it's surprising to me that everyone i saw wasn't complaining about this pissing them off

i'm enjoying it and enjoying my sci fi narrative experience and hope i can do some cool stuff soon, and i am simultaneously impressed with and angered by how each planet has its own way of enraging me

fuck these in particular
Because it's really easy to learn not to die to the same stuff repeatedly. If you are, you are probably doing something incorrectly and need to learn more about it :)

Not sure about the control comment, I feel like it's one of the easiest 'space' control systems I've ever used, and autopilot does almost everything unless it's gonna drive you into the sun (just look at the path though and that's easy to figure out). Is there a specific type of movement you're finding difficult? We can probably help, but yeah once I was in the ship it felt smooth as butter, and walking around is just bog standard walking.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. Got it.

The game gives you some very basic objectives with the device that lets you hear the music from other people. Start with that. Go find one and explore the area, then go somewherelse. Start reading everything you can find and then review what you've found on your ship computer. Then just take it from there. Stuff will lead you from place to place and the game will tell you when there's more to find in a given location. Don't try to beat your head against stuff, if you can't figur it out it's probable you don't have the knowledge yet to do it. Just follow the narrative threads the game presents to you.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
Beat the game a few hrs ago on PS4. I know recency bias and all, but holy shit this is a game I'll always remember, straight art. Has absolutely no replay value, but the reason is because you never aquire items, but knowledge. There's something so much more rewarding to spending an hour getting somewhere and be given information that changes how you thought of the games mechanics, rather than some mcguffin that lets you progress.

Also kinda ran like shit on PS4. 10/10

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why are ps4 players not talking more about this game? Even with all the hype and praise the game got in here it still completely took me by surprise. I don't know how they do it but the exploration is amazing, I can't stop thinking about the game when I'm not playing it. It's probably something to do with how easy it is to get around and discover new stuff to do. It helps that even basic the world is charming as hell, and the music is so so good.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it helps that it's an OT from 6 months ago and thus relegated to hangouts instead of the main gaming forum.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I keep accidentally dying randomly in outer wilds, I'll be minding my own business and suddenly bam a white light appears and I'm dead.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Just finished it and holy shit that finale was something else. Absolutely loved the entire experience. Favorite game of the year, probably even one of my all time favorites. Didn't think I'd get that emotional in the end.

Couldn't believe it when I read Masi Oka in the credits.
masiokaheroes.jpg

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Beat this over the weekend, it's an awesome game. Very cool and innovative design as well, I'm quite interested in what this studio will do next.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
Help, I really wanna get into the game, but I feel so aimless. I love exploring games, but the writing is so obtuse and the exploring is so clunky.

I think I've played like 20 loops and filled the ship log a lot already. It just feels so unfulfilling.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
beat the game

game is great

only downside to me is that a lot of the cool stuff is totally pointless (for beating the game) to go see and all the stuff that's required is prettymuch only blocked off by kinda random patience/awareness checks which kind of threw me because sometimes i was left thinking i had to solve riddles or travel to other places but the truth was way more simple, and that made me feel kinda eh

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
beat the game

game is great

only downside to me is that a lot of the cool stuff is totally pointless (for beating the game) to go see and all the stuff that's required is prettymuch only blocked off by kinda random patience/awareness checks which kind of threw me because sometimes i was left thinking i had to solve riddles or travel to other places but the truth was way more simple, and that made me feel kinda eh
I would hardly say it's pointless? I mean, if you don't see and read that stuff how you would ever decipher HOW to beat the game? The only major optional content
The Quantum Moon, actually does change the ending if you complete it too

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I should really return to this at some point, because I bounced pretty hard off this game at one point (it had to do with finding some ancient settlement deeper within a thing and having to do this ridiculous platforming exercise that I obviously died in and having all that progress reset). Everybody seems to love it so much, though, so I'm hoping to discover the thing I'm missing about the game's appeal.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is my GOTY for 2019. Is there any consensus in the community about this game being terrifying? Dread was always looming in my mind for the better part of it.
I think the one obvious thing is pretty terrifying, otherwise I found it serene more than anything.

I will say Giant's Deep also gets to me but that's not really horror so much as me hating the ocean.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think the one obvious thing is pretty terrifying, otherwise I found it serene more than anything.

I will say Giant's Deep also gets to me but that's not really horror so much as me hating the ocean.

The thing that gets me about Giant's Deep - and a lot of things in the game like the sand pillar or getting stuck in space without my ship - is how small and inconsequential I feel in comparison to everything. They all trigger my existential dread something fierce. 😂

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it. I had to rely on some walkthroughs near the end but what a game. I'll let it sink a bit but easy in my top 5. I will come back for the missing trophies and definitely re-visit these worlds and journey down the road.

Bravo Mobius. Annapurna, you're on a roll.