• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
It makes sense because it follows the rules laid out before you. I get that you're annoyed because you somehow misunderstood those rules, but it's pretty clear both where you're going and why at that point.
You also were did NOT stand on it when the two planets had aligned, as you can only do that when you're in the eye of the sand tornado, which is pretty clear. All of the towers are pretty clear about where they're going once you understand the system of them, and there is text all over that explains the ash twin project and that you need to use those towers to get to it, and that it's inside the ash twin. I guess what I'm saying is, if you didn't get the solution it's not because it's poorly presented, but because you simply weren't putting 2 and 2 together with all the hints out there, same as if you hadn't figured out like, how the gravity crystals work for example - the information exists and you should've seen it by then, but somehow you didn't.

I get that there are hints and it seems clear that the other tower should be used for something, but I disagree that it follows the rules... The way it works in other cases is you're warped when the black hole pad is aligned with the white one, and you're always sent up from the warp pad. In this case though, I guess the black and white pads are always aligned, since they're on the same planet. It just works when the pad is aligned with the Ember Twin, for some reason, and you're sent down instead of up.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get that there are hints and it seems clear that the other tower should be used for something, but I disagree that it follows the rules... The way it works in other cases is you're warped when the black hole pad is aligned with the white one, and you're always sent up from the warp pad. In this case though, I guess the black and white pads are always aligned, since they're on the same planet. It just works when the pad is aligned with the Ember Twin, for some reason, and you're sent down instead of up.
I'm with you on this. I found it on accident and I'm not sure i'd ever figure it out otherwise. I think they should have made the consequences less annoying on this one.

I guess the rule is that it will warp you to the aligned pad, doesn't matter the direction but I swear one of the translations specifically says "above"

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
I'm with you on this. I found it on accident and I'm not sure i'd ever figure it out otherwise. I think they should have made the consequences less annoying on this one.

I guess the rule is that it will warp you to the aligned pad, doesn't matter the direction but I swear one of the translations specifically says "above"

Thanks. It's not that big of a deal, maybe the only real blemish on what is basically a perfect puzzle game. I just got really unlucky with how it played out in basically the worst possible way for me. :P

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. It's not that big of a deal, maybe the only real blemish on what is basically a perfect puzzle game. I just got really unlucky with how it played out in basically the worst possible way for me. :P
When it happened to me on accident I was like wait what the fuck just happened, where am I? I thought it was the Sun Station and it was the end of the game and I wasn't ready so I left immediately. Then after playing more I started to piece together it was the Ash Twin, so I went to try it again and twice got sucked up into the sand pillar and started to think that maybe it was a bug that I went there at all the first time.

But yeah, its one of my all time favorite games and experiences, but there are some small tweaks i'd make personally.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I'm about 7 hours in and still have lots to find on Ash Twin and quantum related knowledge. I originally played for about 2 hours and dropped off but I'm coming back now and finding myself way more driven (I may have not used the Ship's Log at all in the first 2 hours). My only remaining complaint is when I've explored an area and going to another place probably should be saved for the next loop, there's no quick reset other than running out of fuel/air or maybe jumping off a cliff, right?

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm about 7 hours in and still have lots to find on Ash Twin and quantum related knowledge. I originally played for about 2 hours and dropped off but I'm coming back now and finding myself way more driven (I may have not used the Ship's Log at all in the first 2 hours). My only remaining complaint is when I've explored an area and going to another place probably should be saved for the next loop, there's no quick reset other than running out of fuel/air or maybe jumping off a cliff, right?
if you talk to gabbro a few times he can help with that

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
or you can just quit out the game from pause menu! the game auto saves instantly whenever you uncover something new for your rumor map. that's what i did before i got the ability to meditate.

loading the game back up was always quick, but of course having it on an ssd helped!

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
I'm having a pretty good time with the Outer Wilds. However I think it does fall apart on the back end when you need to figure out the things you need to do to end the game. You've run out of "wow" moments long ago since you've probably already visited everything once and know the gimmicks already. Putting the pieces of the puzzle together in order to get to the
Ash Twin Project
felt too tedious for my tastes. Not only that but holy shit does Dark Bramble get tedious when you're just getting fucking eaten by fish all the time.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Ending was really sweet, all is (mostly) forgiven.

I was initially really disappointed that the Quantum Moon turned out to be a completely optional sidequest, but getting the Nomai to join in the ending made up for it. :)

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a pretty good time with the Outer Wilds. However I think it does fall apart on the back end when you need to figure out the things you need to do to end the game. You've run out of "wow" moments long ago since you've probably already visited everything once and know the gimmicks already. Putting the pieces of the puzzle together in order to get to the
Ash Twin Project
felt too tedious for my tastes. Not only that but holy shit does Dark Bramble get tedious when you're just getting fucking eaten by fish all the time.
If you're getting eaten by fish, you definitely still have more to learn.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No, I know the trick to them, but I'm still getting eaten.

Anyway, I beat the game and I think that's my favorite ending sequence I've ever had the pleasure to experience.
If you know what to do you really cannot get eaten, besides blatantly deciding to. That's like knocking Mario because you decide to walk into pits.

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Just finished it. Incredible experience that I'll definitely have to mull over a bit.

XackyB

Jan 26, 2019
Does anyone understand why
the Hearthians' ancestors and the anglerfish survived the ghost matter from the Interloper but all the Nomai in the system got wiped out?

Last edited:

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
the Hearthians' ancestors and the anglerfish survived the ghost matter from the Interloper but all the Nomai in the system got wiped out?
I assume since the Hearthians ancestor were probably underground dwellers, the Hearthian planet had a lot of that metal they used to build the shell around the Ash Twin Project, which seems to protect from the ghost matter. As for the Angler Fish maybe the bramble pocket dimension is unfazed by ghost matter? I dunno. That's my take.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the answer:

The Hearthians were aquatic at the time and hadn't evolved to live on land yet, and the water protected them from the radiation.

As for the anglerfish I just assume it's because Dark Bramble's interdimensional weirdness shielded them.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
So I still suck at flying and crash land like all the time. But the exploration is amazing and I've barely been anywhere, still have Giant Deep and Dark Bramble for the first time.

But this game really feels like the definition of the more I learn the less I know, each time I update my ship log there are so many more questions lol.

Enjoying it though!

Savinowned

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville, TN
Finished it last night. Wow. Incredible.

Anyone know why the Nomai made the time loop 22 minutes? All the notes I read on it just say it arbitrarily. Obviously they'd need enough time to get the eye location & then shut off the Ash Twin Project but I never saw an explanation.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Finished it last night. Wow. Incredible.

Anyone know why the Nomai made the time loop 22 minutes? All the notes I read on it just say it arbitrarily. Obviously they'd need enough time to get the eye location & then shut off the Ash Twin Project but I never saw an explanation.
My guess is that, since the project requires such a huge ammount of energy, they calculated how much time they needed minimally for the project to work as intended.

flattie

Nov 5, 2017
If I were in charge at Nintendo, I'd be suggesting to Retro that they take a close look at this game. As I play, I can't help but feel that there is an awful lot that would transpose very well to Metroid Prime.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I just started playing this game via Game Pass since there's so much hype behind it, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish it. In the short time I played with it tonight, I had several terrifying experiences that triggered some space phobia I didn't realize I had. One of them was so rough I had to quit. Did anyone else feel the same way? How did you overcome it?
Yes! Omgggggg

Giant's Deep I couldn't handle because of deep water fears.

I just sweat profusely and pushed through. No other game has instilled such dread and euphoria.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Yes! Omgggggg

Giant's Deep I couldn't handle because of deep water fears.

I just sweat profusely and pushed through. No other game has instilled such dread and euphoria.

I just had a great Giants Deep moment

I was on brittle hollow exploring the hanging city, I guess I fell into the black hole so now I'm just drifting out in space, but I was there for a while, and the sun was red as fuck so I figure I'll just just here till the world ends.

I go on my phone while I'm waiting and I guess giants deep was passing by close to me and I got pulled into gravitational pull because next thing I know I plummeted through its atmosphere and straight into the ocean! I manage to swim to a nearby island and just lay there while the world ended, it was also my first time seeing the world end from giants deep which was awesome!

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
NoClip released a documentary on the game today. It's really interesting. Of course there are spoilers, so please make sure to finish the game first ;)

champloo

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to explore the comet, and found it really hard to not fall into the space while walking on the surface, the gravity is basically nonexistent.

now my ship is flying off on its own lol, there goes another loop.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to explore the comet, and found it really hard to not fall into the space while walking on the surface, the gravity is basically nonexistent.

now my ship is flying off on its own lol, there goes another loop.
Just walk more slowly, don't let yourself slide off, also you can still thrust down on foot, just like the ship.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm stuck and have no idea how to progress

of course since this game doesn't really have progress as such it seems impossible to ask for help without just getting someone to spoil the entire thing for me

XackyB

Jan 26, 2019
i'm stuck and have no idea how to progress

of course since this game doesn't really have progress as such it seems impossible to ask for help without just getting someone to spoil the entire thing for me

Yeah, usually the answer is something very carefully nonspecific along the lines of "think about what you've discovered so far and how that might help you here". :P

Keep checking that ship log if you aren't doing so already, which you may very well be.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i have and there's places i'd like to go but because all of them are blocked off by various contrivances i don't know how to get to them

other than that there's a few areas with the orange mark telling me i haven't found everything but i've been over them a dozen times and don't know what i should be looking for

and in the process i've died by suffocation, falling, melting, radiation, and being eaten probably more than a dozen times

kinda getting sick of this to be honest

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
i have and there's places i'd like to go but because all of them are blocked off by various contrivances i don't know how to get to them

other than that there's a few areas with the orange mark telling me i haven't found everything but i've been over them a dozen times and don't know what i should be looking for

and in the process i've died by suffocation, falling, melting, radiation, and being eaten probably more than a dozen times

kinda getting sick of this to be honest
Maybe if you provided a few details, the community might be able to give you a little nudge toward the right direction

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe if you provided a few details, the community might be able to give you a little nudge toward the right direction
i want to go to
the southern observatory and black hole forge on brittle hollow but both are blocked off by broken doors and i have no idea how to get around them. same for the quantum knowledge tower. i also want to get to the center of giant's deep but that's blocked by the current i don't know how to bypass. i know there's something in the core of the ash twin but have no idea how to even start there. i tried landing on the solar station but crashed into the sun a bunch and stopped trying, then i tried to land on the quantum moon and just went through it. i have unexplored parts of the sunless city, hanging city, and ash twin towers but i've been over them all multiple times and can't find anything.

there's probably more i can't remember off the top of my head. it just feels like the game blocks you off of things for no real reason, when i find my way around obstacles it's never because i learned something about the universe or gameplay, there was just some obscured path to get me around a broken door because the developer wanted it to take longer.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
i want to go to
the southern observatory and black hole forge on brittle hollow but both are blocked off by broken doors and i have no idea how to get around them. same for the quantum knowledge tower. i also want to get to the center of giant's deep but that's blocked by the current i don't know how to bypass. i know there's something in the core of the ash twin but have no idea how to even start there. i tried landing on the solar station but crashed into the sun a bunch and stopped trying, then i tried to land on the quantum moon and just went through it. i have unexplored parts of the sunless city, hanging city, and ash twin towers but i've been over them all multiple times and can't find anything.

there's probably more i can't remember off the top of my head. it just feels like the game blocks you off of things for no real reason, when i find my way around obstacles it's never because i learned something about the universe or gameplay, there was just some obscured path to get me around a broken door because the developer wanted it to take longer.
I will try to be as ambigous as possible. Southern Observatory there is an alternate path somewhere on the planet. Explore around the Tower of Knowledge. The Black Hole Forge is a bit trickier, the entrance does not lie in Brittle Hollow. As for Giant's Deep, if you get to the Southern Observatory, you are gonna get a huge hint to be able to go underwater. As for the Ash Twin Core, I would say keep exploring somewhere else and keep that for later.
Hope that helps, I am trying to not give it all away but if you want more direct hints on how to do it all, let us know.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
This was already my leading GOTY, but for whatever reason I dropped it this summer. I had nearly the entire map filled out and felt like I had discovered most of the amazing secrets the game held. But I never pushed it across the finish line. All the recent GOTY talk made me return today to complete it, and slight frustration with the final run... what an incredible game.

It's a game that made me rethink what game design could be. Tight, focused, trusting in the player, and putting knowledge at the center of progression instead of progress bars or waypoints. It's character, ingenuity, and message are all so well crafted and it will stick with my for some time to come. Hands down the best game I played this year... even if it took me so long to finally see the end of it all!

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i used a guide to find the path to the southern observatory and got lost on the way anyway so i just watched a video. i probably never would have found that on my own. also made it to the tower of quantum knowledge which kinda sucked because by the time it gets sucked through the black hole you have about 90 seconds to explore before the sun explodes.

got through giant's deep and landed on the quantum moon, made it to the eye location and talked to the alien. i think all i have left now is ash twin, which means sitting around a lot waiting for the sand to drain then rushing to do what i need to before the loop resets.

my main problems with this game are

1. the controls suck, straight up. i would probably be fine if i could play with mouse and keyboard but they did very little to adapt the game to that so literally everything other than WASD and mouselook feels awkward, bad, or both. playing first person games on a pad is one of my most hated control schemes but i don't feel like i have much choice. this kinda taints the whole experience and is my #1 cause of death, especially when you have to do tricky little platforming bits to get where you need to go which happens a lot.

2. the vast majority of stuff you find is backstory flavor totally unrelated to the main puzzle. if you like the story and really want to learn more about the history of the star system and the aliens who crashed there i'm sure that's great, but i honestly don't. which means i'm basically ticking meaningless boxes off the chart in my ship's log trying to find the 1-2 particular entries that will help me understand what's going on.

it's an extraordinarily intricate and interesting game design and overall the developers pulled off something objectively amazing, but it does not resonate with me emotionally at all which means the little nitpicks stick out all the worse. hurling my body into death over and over trying to find the one tiny path out of dozens that means anything to me isn't fun.

maybe the end will change my mind but i'm mostly beating it just so i can be done.

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
2. the vast majority of stuff you find is backstory flavor totally unrelated to the main puzzle. if you like the story and really want to learn more about the history of the star system and the aliens who crashed there i'm sure that's great, but i honestly don't. which means i'm basically ticking meaningless boxes off the chart in my ship's log trying to find the 1-2 particular entries that will help me understand what's going on.
Could not disagree more. With a couple of exceptions, almost every bit of dialogue is pointed towards some clue or another. If you wanted to really get into the story you could start tracking the individual characters and get some more of their own tragic stories, but for the most part its built to let you really read and digest everything. The devs actually talked about this in the documentary, where they said one of their design decisions was "no lore." So that if it didn't have a purpose in the greater cosmic mystery, it got cut.

I will say, one change I made that made me enjoy the game more was I went into suit settings and made it so that all instances of text pause the game. The writing is short, but that doesn't mean there are important tidbits that could be missed if you're trying to race the sun.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
i used a guide to find the path to the southern observatory and got lost on the way anyway so i just watched a video. i probably never would have found that on my own. also made it to the tower of quantum knowledge which kinda sucked because by the time it gets sucked through the black hole you have about 90 seconds to explore before the sun explodes.

got through giant's deep and landed on the quantum moon, made it to the eye location and talked to the alien. i think all i have left now is ash twin, which means sitting around a lot waiting for the sand to drain then rushing to do what i need to before the loop resets.

1. the controls suck, straight up. i would probably be fine if i could play with mouse and keyboard but they did very little to adapt the game to that so literally everything other than WASD and mouselook feels awkward, bad, or both. playing first person games on a pad is one of my most hated control schemes but i don't feel like i have much choice. this kinda taints the whole experience and is my #1 cause of death, especially when you have to do tricky little platforming bits to get where you need to go which happens a lot.

it's an extraordinarily intricate and interesting game design and overall the developers pulled off something objectively amazing, but it does not resonate with me emotionally at all which means the little nitpicks stick out all the worse. hurling my body into death over and over trying to find the one tiny path out of dozens that means anything to me isn't fun.

maybe the end will change my mind but i'm mostly beating it just so i can be done.
Honestly, if the story and general mystery does not resonate with you, the ending won't change your mind. Half the fun of the game is piecing the story together and the ending is a culmination of all of it. So you ar eprobably setting yourself up for dissappointment.

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Since you've put the time in you might as well finish the game but as others have said this might not be for you.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The writing and story in this game fantastic. Can't believe someone wouldnt have any interest in it.
i'd probably like it better if the game were more walking sim than platformer/puzzle game. spending hours fiddling around and dying to get a tiny drip feed of story content just means i'm annoyed by the time i see anything and not in a great mindset to enjoy it.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
I'm stuck near the end, and now I'm spending hours without progress. I don't know if I should ask for subtle hints or not. I don't want to ruin the ending when I haven't looked up anything all game.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
Whats the last thing you've done and what are you trying to accomplish?
I need to get to the sun station in an attempt to get to the ash twin project, I guess. I have coordinates. I have been to the vessel and know where to input them. I need that advanced warp core found in the project. It says there is more to discover in the sunless city, a place I've dissected over and over. I'm now thinking if there's a way to get a quantum shard to the sun tower on ash twin so I can remove the cactus blocking the path. Or is there a reason to carry a mini black/white hole out of the energy lab? I'm not convinced I have been taught all the quantum ideas yet. I know about the line of sight and the entanglement.

Oct 27, 2017
I need to get to the sun station in an attempt to get to the ash twin project, I guess. I have coordinates. I have been to the vessel and know where to input them. I need that advanced warp core found in the project. It says there is more to discover in the sunless city, a place I've dissected over and over. I'm now thinking if there's a way to get a quantum shard to the sun tower on ash twin so I can remove the cactus blocking the path. Or is there a reason to carry a mini black/white hole out of the energy lab? I'm not convinced I have been taught all the quantum ideas yet. I know about the line of sight and the entanglement.
I think you are probably overthinking it a bit. Have you been to the Black Hole Forge in Brittle Hollow? You need to have gone there to complete the game. You also need to have fully explore the Ash Twins, but doesn't seem like you have. But I dunno.

Have you completed the Tower of Quantum Knowledge on Brittle Hollow? You need to do that to learn all the quantum mechanics in the game.

Regarding Sun Station: You will need to go there but it doesn't sound like you've learned everything you need to get there. I'll just say it to save you time: you won't be able to just land there with your ship. You need to find another way to get there. You'll figure out a way to do this by exploring other places... just dont remember where you learn this.

Last edited:

XackyB

Jan 26, 2019

I'm going to try to give the most subtle nudge I possibly can. Labeling it as a spoiler just in case you decide you don't want to see it. But it is very subtle.

Think about Ash Twin: both what happens on it during each loop and the role it plays in the star system.

Last edited:

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
I'm going to try to give the most subtle nudge I possibly can. Labeling it as a spoiler just in case you decide you don't want to see it. But it is very subtle.

Think about Ash Twin: both what happens on it during each loop and the role it plays in the star system.
You may not want to spoil what I had put in a spoiler tag. :P

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
I think you are probably overthinking it a bit. Have you been to the Black Hole Forge in Brittle Hollow? You need to have gone there to complete the game. You also need to have fully explore the Ash Twins, but doesn't seem like you have. But I dunno.

Have you completed the Tower of Quantum Knowledge on Brittle Hollow? You need to do that to learn all the quantum mechanics in the game.

Regarding Sun Station: You will need to go there but it doesn't sound like you've learned everything you need to get there. I'll just say it to save you time: you won't be able to just land there with your ship. You need to find another way to get there. You'll figure out a way to do this by exploring other places... just dont remember where you learn this.
Yes, I have been to the forge. I don't see what I can do or learn there to help me progress. And yes I have explored ash twin. I've also been to the tower of quantum knowledge, although the shrine on the quantum moon acted like I didn't learn what I needed to from the tower, even though I arrived on the hidden planet.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I have been to the forge. I don't see what I can do or learn there to help me progress. And yes I have explored ash twin. I've also been to the tower of quantum knowledge, although the shrine on the quantum moon acted like I didn't learn what I needed to from the tower, even though I arrived on the hidden planet.
You've been to the Quantum Moon? Did you complete it? Use all of your quantum knowledge to complete the trial? There's a VERY obvious *thing* that happens when you finish it. Also - to save you time, the Quantum Moon is optional and not require to finish the game.

Did you go all the way through Dark Bramble and find the *thing*? I assume you have.

Unfortunately I don't remember where you learn this, but you find out how the Nomain are able to travel to different planets. You've probably even found an example of this - on the other side of Brittle Hollow's black hole. There's a few examples of this travel mechanic in the game, actually.

I'll be more specific:
Teleportation. You need to know how to teleport to get to the Sun Station.
To be even more specific:
Ash Twin is where you need to go to teleport to the Sun Station

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn

You're on the right path. Keep hanging around the Ash Twin planet. There are a few locations you still need to get to there, and I feel confident that you'll get there eventually if you spend a few loops on that planet."]