• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really excited for Outer Worlds but I'm even more excited to see what they do with that Microsoft money. In a lot of interviews they cite budget constraints as being a big hindrance to Outer Worlds' scope.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
source.gif

Interesting, hopefully this'll shut up the usual suspects constantly whinging about them still working on a multiplat.

CallmeDave

Oct 27, 2017
Does Microsoft own the franchise after this game, If the game does well then sequels might be exclusive?

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be surprised, POE 2 wasn't much of a success.

That's definitely a game I want to come to GamePass on PC. I'm not a big fan of turn-based combat or something that isn't action-based (kinda why I'm a heathen who prefers FF15 over the previous entries).. I heard it's different from turn-based but even from looking at videos I still couldn't get a grasp on what the compat is. If it was something like WoW/Diablo then I'd buy it in a heartbeat

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Is this a good sign or a bad sign for Outer Worlds?
It depends, there's a lot of variables we don't know. How long has it been in development? Has it always been so few people or is it only that way now that they're in the home stretch? How much experience do they have?

Speaking of PoE, did PoE2 ever come out on switch?

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Did MS state those are the only conditions a sequel would happen? If not, then how would you know and confidently state it so definitively?

Microsoft is the IP holder
Take-Two is the publishing rights holder
If they can't negotiate the terms, The Outer Worlds 2 ain't happening with T2 doing publishing, if they can negotiate the terms, everything will fall under MS.

This is just like Dark Souls, a Dark Souls game can't happen without both From and Namco Bandai agreeing.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
It depends, there's a lot of variables we don't know. How long has it been in development? Has it always been so few people or is it only that way now that they're in the home stretch? How much experience do they have?

Speaking of PoE, did PoE2 ever come out on switch?
3 years in dev

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's definitely a game I want to come to GamePass on PC. I'm not a big fan of turn-based combat or something that isn't action-based (kinda why I'm a heathen who prefers FF15 over the previous entries).. I heard it's different from turn-based but even from looking at videos I still couldn't get a grasp on what the compat is. If it was something like WoW/Diablo then I'd buy it in a heartbeat
It's like an RTS with abilities that you can pause if you need to breath.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
This is very interesting, this must be part of what made MS interested in acquiring Obsidian. I wonder how long that other team has been working on the other project.

I believe Obsidian are looking to scale up to a 250+ size while handling 2 projects at once, which makes sense. Can't wait to see what they can achieve under XGS banner. I sincerely hope they knock it out of the park in a way Bethesda couldn't (critically speaking). Obsidian remain one of the best storytellers imo, their best years are yet to come.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft is the IP holder
Take-Two is the publishing rights holder
If they can't negotiate the terms, The Outer Worlds 2 ain't happening with T2 doing publishing, if they can negotiate the terms, everything will fall under MS.

This is just like Dark Souls, a Dark Souls game can't happen without both From and Namco Bandai agreeing.
LOL @ the binary option of a hypothetical deal as the only outcome. You literally have no idea what deal may be struck between MS and T2 for a potential sequel.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
LOL @ the binary option of a hypothetical deal as the only outcome. You literally have no idea what deal may be struck between MS and T2 for a potential sequel.

And do you think Microsoft will fund and let Obsidian make The Outer Worlds 2 published by T2 if they don't reach an agreement? lol

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017

They've consistently said The Outer Worlds is a budget title from Private Division. This feels like the right amount of people. I'd guess Obsidian is working on 3 games at the moment:

-The Outer Worlds (Cain/Boyarsky, 80 staff)
-cRPG (JE Sawyer, historical cRPG)
-AAA RPG in preproduction or early development (maybe Pillars)

There's been talk of Sawyer wanting to make a historical cRPG for a long time. Feels like it is now or never for him.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
They've consistently said The Outer Worlds is a budget title from Private Division. This feels like the right amount of people. I'd guess Obsidian is working on 3 games at the moment:

-The Outer Worlds (Cain/Boyarsky, 80 staff)
-cRPG (JE Sawyer, historical cRPG)
-AAA RPG in preproduction or early development (maybe Pillars)

There's been talk of Sawyer wanting to make a historical cRPG for a long time. Feels like it is now or never for him.

That sounds about right. I think Sawyer 'wanted' to do something historical based, not sure if this is actually what is happening over there.

Say it with me now:

Give.
Obsidian.
Shadowrun.

This guys speaks the truth. It's like a dream match, that IP with Obsidian would do wonders. One can only hope.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Lines up with what was shared with press ahead of the game's debut at last years TGAs (though at the time, there was still a decent sized spaced dedicated to Deadfire DLC and Support)

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And do you think Microsoft will fund and let Obsidian make The Outer Worlds 2 published by T2 if they don't reach an agreement? lol
That's not the issue I had with your either/or scenario. It was your 2 outcomes of a deal being definitively stated as the only way a sequel gets made..

Jan 15, 2018
I mean I know its a stretch, but I hope the other thing they are working on is a new CRPG. Pillars 3 would be great tho.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS need to get the Starwars license and let Obsidian make KoToR 3 with that AAA budget, god damn what a announcement that would be!

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Say it with me now:

Give.
Obsidian.
Shadowrun.

If they ever announced such a thing, would be a personal megaton for me. I've mentioned a proper Shadowrun RPG since OG Xbox days back when FASA could put out great games and owned the license under Microsoft. Kind of given up hope...and threw it in the pile with Alan Wake and Project Gotham Racing...but I'd love to be wrong.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
EA sick of dealing with Toxic Mass Effect Brand. Sells to Microsoft, Puts Obsidian On The Next Mass Effect Game.

One can have a pipedream.
Casey Hudson looks at his resume and goes... "fuck", leaves BioWare again.

Given the failure of Anthem, if Dragon Age is any kind of success the most likely scenario here is that Mass Effect 4 happens. They'll abandon Andromeda and go back to the space marines, which will save me sixty bucks.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I'm curious how this game will turn out. A lot of my New Vegas friends are genuinely interested but I have this weird feeling it won't end up being quite what they think, or it will feel dated.

Maybe they'll just appreciate something so incredibly similar though, idk.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Given the failure of Anthem, if Dragon Age is any kind of success the most likely scenario here is that Mass Effect 4 happens. They'll abandon Andromeda and go back to the space marines, which will save me sixty bucks.
At the same time I'm just sorta sick of BioWare doing games they don't have a heart in anymore. There's plenty of passionate Mass Effect people out there but I wouldn't want BioWare to do it out of some means of damage control or all you'll get is a game that's even worse than Andromeda.

Rationale

Alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019

I'm not saying everyone, but there are some comments that I've read that make me think some people will have to reel their expectations in. I'm hoping for a quality game but the comparisons to Fallout: New Vegas will lead to some disappointed voices when it comes to scale.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Did MS state those are the only conditions a sequel would happen? If not, then how would you know and confidently state it so definitively?
Because you don't buy a studio to not make console exclusive content, it was third party before so why buy it if that was your plan all along lol.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Bethesda seem to have made from what I can find Fallout 3 with about 80 people and Fallout 4 with about 100.

I think Outer Worlds will be fine, since they don't only have a similarly sized team of developers, they also have people who can actually write.