• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
So Outlast 2 stealth released on the Switch this morning as well, but with the stealth Switch release there was also something new for other platforms of the game (PC, PS4, Xbox One), which is a new update called 'Story Mode', some changes to the pacing of the regular game, and on PC some re-inserted cut content.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/414700/announcements/detail/1658887841064203759

"The new Story Mode of Outlast 2 allows players to experience the game with minimal challenges, fewer enemy encounters and more breathing room to fully immerse yourself in the universe.

It is still possible to die, but we've decreased the number of enemies and have lowered their speed, damage and perception.

We've also made tweaks to the pacing of the game to make more room for exploration, instead of chases.

Also, we've taken the opportunity to reinsert some of the things we had to remove from the original game in order to get an M rating. These changes are not drastic in our opinion and do not impact gameplay, but they had to be made to avoid an Adult Only rating.

That's it. Hope you enjoy!
"

It's a separate mode which is designed to be taken more leisurely after complaints of the original game being a consistent chase, and on PC at least they put back in AO scenes that were cut from the console versions for rating board concerns. Seems the regular game was also updated for some pacing changes to allow more exploration.

Last edited:

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Yo wait what? I like both these changes. I own it but haven't played it yet. Seems like now is a good time. Especially like the content change.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Yo wait what? I like both these changes. I own it but haven't played it yet. Seems like now is a good time. Especially like the content change.

It's an interesting way to respond to criticism of the regular game being a major chase sequence almost non-stop. Outside of the new Story Mode it also sounds like they updated the pacing of the regular game to allow more exploration and downtime.

uhhh. typo?

Anyway, pretty stoked. This fixes at least some of the major problems I had with the game.
Auto-correct but fixed, it was meant to be separate. XD; I think it's a good mood.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Do they clarify what the AO stuff is? I know some found cut content that made portions of the flashback section hit harder than it already did...

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved the first Outlast, had no interest in Outlast 2 given the complaints and tepid reviews but now I might actually get it on sale if people say the changes greatly improve the experience.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Do they clarify what the AO stuff is? I know some found cut content that made portions of the flashback section hit harder than it already did...

They don't specify, but I remember some early previews mentioned some grotesqueness that didn't end up in the final game, but I'd need to dig a bit to remember exactly the context of that. They claim it's no gameplay differences (for the AO content, they do say they updated the regular game outside of Story Mode to allow more chances for exploration), so it'd most likely be in story moments.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the first Outlast, had no interest in Outlast 2 given the complaints and tepid reviews but now I might actually get it on sale if people say the changes greatly improve the experience.
I loved both and found Outlast 2 to be even better at the horror and thematic elements than the first. Admittedly, a good chunk of that likely had to do with my VERY Catholic upbringing, but I still mostly recommend it if the first one worked for you.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
Is there somewhere I can see just the AO content ? I'd be really interested to see what they had to remove to avoid the rating.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
So if a game patches back in AO content, do they need to be re-rated? Like, how does it work?

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
I passed on the second game because the first game was a bit much for me. I may actually give this a go now.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the criticism with Outlast. Many proclaiming that it is way too hard.

I always play these games in hard mode. I love them! It is perfect.

Oct 25, 2017
The void
Sounds great! I bought on PS4 when it first released but quit at the part where you have to navigate multiple docks and hide in houses. I wasn't looking forward to a whole game of that. Will definitely jump back in if they toned this down.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How did Outlast 2 stealth release? Unlike the first game, that did drop out of nowhere... Outlast 2 was legit on the Coming Soon page for weeks as well as advertised within Outlast 1's game to pre-purchase.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Does story mode disable achievements anyone know? I'm halfway through the game but never finished it as it's a bit of a chore with all the chasing.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
So if a game patches back in AO content, do they need to be re-rated? Like, how does it work?

I don't know if this change was made to consoles or not, but I doubt it. I think the cut content change was only made to PC because PC games don't need to be rated to sell on the platform. IE, most physical stores and console digital storefronts won't sell AO games, but PC is a different story. As I only have the patch notes from the PC version on-hand, I am assuming this may have been a PC-only change since being unrated on Steam is a-okay. I think they'd get in trouble if they did the same thing on consoles.

I don't get the criticism with Outlast. Many proclaiming that it is way too hard.

I often play games on the hardest possible difficulty, so I know what you mean. However, I know many got frustrated and I think having options is not a bad thing, so I think this is a good addition to get people who might've otherwise not played it to do so. Plus I do also enjoy exploration so a mode that allows more exploration is good with me. But the other difficulties and stuff are still there, I think this is just to give an experience to a different sorta' audience.

Rushoff

Oct 28, 2017

The problem with the second one was that it mostly consisted of running... and literally forced you to memorize some routes etc when replaying the same chase for the fifth time.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I enjoyed the gameplay loop of the first game, I can understand how people may think it's too hard if they keep messing up due to their nerves getting the best of them.

Oct 25, 2017
That's a good addition to be fair, but unfortunately, the sequel is a major step down in quality (for me personally). I'd honestly just recommend the first game and its DLC.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Just watched some switch footage on YouTube and honestly excellent work Red Barrels! looks almost indistinguishable from the Xbox one and PS4 versions.

Docked I assume but still.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good. More games in this genre of horror titles with no self defense need to follow suit with SOMA. Some encounters can simply be frustrating.

Keep in the meatier chases and tension, rather than frustrating the player and overwhelming them. I play these sorts of games for a Haunted House ride experience.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
So is the patch available on PS4 now?
The gameplay reviews put me off on the game, but now I'm interested again. I have a Switch but not sure I want to play this one as a handheld... so if I could pick a platform would go with my PS4

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
I played the game and it was definitely a chase throughout, but there were definitely a few moments where I was able to catch my breath. There were also some moments where I felt like there was no way the enemy could have noticed me, so hopefully those moments get fixed.

As for the cut content, I remember people found some audio files that were removed from the final version that removed any doubt that something very dark was going on. I'm sure that's one thing that's being added back in, since people might not even notice it if they aren't paying attention fully. A bigger deal is if any graphic scenes get added back in. I'm not sure we'll see anything that really alters the story, though.

Deleted member 13307

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
France
Purchased day one on PS4 but never finished because of the non-stop chase thing and the darkness. I mean litterally : can't see shit on my screen, seriously. Like crushed blacks x10. The same TV i had on PS360, One, Switch and all my other PS4 games with no problem.
Even in the demo, the brightness was ok at 50-60%, but in the final game, in the same area, too dark.

Arturo

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched some switch footage on YouTube and honestly excellent work Red Barrels! looks almost indistinguishable from the Xbox one and PS4 versions.

Docked I assume but still.

I just told the same in the eShop thread, but I'm very impressed with how it looks on the Switch. Just 15 minutes or so in, but it looks amazing. Oh, and I only play handheld :)

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Need those hot ao details, hasn't been nearly long enough for me to replay it. Game had some pretty shocking violence and highly detailed shit so I'm really interested in what wasn't allowed.

Oct 25, 2017
Like SOMA a story mode patch is very welcome. I like Outlast 2 more than most but it was a very uneven experience.

On paper a wider gameplay space seems fine but some very poor sign posting leads to a lot of frustration and repetition. Lessening the enemies might make for a more rewarding game experience and let the world breathe more when you don't need to run through it frantically.

Interesting to see how it handles on the Switch. Horror atmosphere doesn't seem like it'd work in a portable setting. Plus the subject matter of that game is horrendous. Imagine someone glancing over your shoulder while you play that on the train?

Fahzzy

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2018
It would be more satisfying if they provided a few weapons here and there to offset the ridiculousness of running away with holding a camcorder up to your eye-socket.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I want to know what was cut out.
I don't really see what it could be, all the violence was quite explicit

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was cool with a safe mode in SOMA, but in Outlast it's really stupid. What they should've done is make an easier mode which would offer a little help in the chase scenes, subtly steering the player where he needs to go. Many chases are frustrating because there's only one way to survive.

Oct 27, 2017
Sadly this won't change the rather bad and disjointed story. I guess removing some of the frankly poor encounter game design is nice though? Sort of defeats any reason to actually play this one at all imo.

Such a weird contrast with how excellent the first and it's expansion was.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Back on the wishlist it goes.

I was never bothered by Outlast 2 being too hard, I was bothered by it seemingly being too irritating and/or tedious. Having to replay sections multiple times sucks the terror/horror out of them and by most accounts, it was just wandering around in the dark and getting one-hit killed, only to have to wander around in the dark again until you found the one exit.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
IIRC, some of the cut content was some more explicit voicelines of the girl panting and stuff during the closed door rape scene if you went back and waited outside the door. It was to make it more clear what definitely was happening, I presume.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, some of the cut content was some more explicit voicelines of the girl panting and stuff during the closed door rape scene if you went back and waited outside the door. It was to make it more clear what definitely was happening, I presume.
That seems dumb to be honest.
It was obvious what was happening.

Less is more.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So is this also a scaredy cat mode or will I still shit myself if I play with headphones?

Need reports, I'll buy it if the scare-factor goes considerably down. I can do horror, but not if it relies largely on jump scares.

Grandia

Dec 13, 2017
very interesting, only about 2 hours in the game but didnt know about the changes needed