• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
headerpmk9s.png

CnGAlyN.png

Platform(s): PC, PS4, Xbox One
Release Date: March 26th, 2019
Genre: Survival RPG
Price: $39.99 USD
Player(s): 1-2 (Online and local split-screen)
Format: Digital/Physical
Developer: Nine Dot Studio
Publisher: Deep Silver
Size:
PC - 15 GB​
Xbox One - 10.09 GB​
PS4 - 12 GB​

D91IIVp.gif

faq38kni.png

What is Outward?
Outward is a game all about exploration as a regular, not a chosen one or destined hero, person. With no mini-map or quest markers everything in the game is centered around that idea of discovery and traversal alongside survival mechanics and challenging combat.

How big is the world?
Outward features 4 distinct regions (2x2 in size) that each contain a town and a number (6-9) dungeons to explore.

How does combat work?
Outward features stamina-based combat similar to what you would find in the Souls series but with a meter, as well as a foe's health, showing the stability of whatever you are fighting. By using traps, poisons or just by attacking normally you will lower that meter and, once drained completely, stagger them and give yourself the ability to attack without opening yourself up to their attacks.

How does magic work?
When you discover where to learn magic skills you are able to sacrifice your total stamina and health to increase your mana. Magic in combat is focused around runes so a fire spell might be a little flicker when used on its own, but from within a rune you set on the floor it could be an explosive fireball.

The backpack seem important?
Yes. Inventory space is at a premium in Outward and the best way to increase that is to get yourself a backpack. Depending on the size of your backpack you could be slowed in combat (though you can place it on the ground to regain full mobility) but you can share one pack between two players if you choose.

What if I lose my backpack?
Your backpack (and other items) will remain where you left them in a region for a couple in-game days if you leave the area.

Do enemies respawn?
Similar to how items despawn, enemies will only respawn if you leave a region for a couple in-game days.

How prevalent are the survival mechanics?
Survival in Outward is used to reinforce your place in the world as a regular person so you have three things to keep in mind: thirst, hunger, and fatigue. You can recover the first two meters from eating and drinking but fatigue is something you will restore by camping (this is where you can also craft specialty items and repair equipment) or resting in an inn or at your home.

You can own a home?
Yes. You can take ownership of a home in Outward which acts as a location to items and rest.

How does character progression work?
There are no levels in Outward and instead player progression is based on skills that you can learn from teacher NPCs. Out of the 8 skill trees you can improve you can only max out 3. Also, do to there being no character levels in the game there is no limitation on equipping top-tier weapons and armor if you stumble across them.

Early on in Outward you will be given the choice to join one of three factions (The Blue Chamber Collective, the Holy Mission of Elatt and the Heroic Kingdom of Levant). This will act as your main narrative in the game talking about 20 hours to complete and locking you out of the other 2 paths.

What happens when I die?
There is no true "death" in Outward. Once your health is depleted (and there is no active co-op partner to revive you) you will transition into a defeat senario. Perhaps a traveller saved you and returned you to town or maybe a group of bandits captured you and left you in a cell that you must escape from.

The "punishment" of death comes in the form of time. Because time has jumped forward during your defeat scenario there is a chance that a quest you are trying to complete will now be unattainable.

Can I fail out of the main questline by missing a timer?
While you can fail missions by timing out of them you are, allegedly, never going to be put into a state where the main campaign stops progressing.

How does co-op work?
Co-op is based around the idea of a host and guest. The host will be the player whose world is progressed by playing while the guest can bring in (and take out) their character and loot from another save file or auto generate a new character on the spot. This can be done either locally with split-screen or online.

You are not tethered together in co-op so each player can roam freely (within the same region) but note: difficulty is increased for enemies while in co-op.

Cross-platform play?
There is no cross-platform play in Outward aside from the game working on the PC between the Epic Store and Steam.

How long is it?
The developers estimate that running through one of the 3 main quest lines will take about 20 hours each.

21:9 Support?
Yes, but split-screen remains locked to a horizontal view.

New game plus?
While there is no "proper" NG+ option there is the option to pass an item down to, seemingly, your next playthrough. Specific details are still TBA at the moment.

Mod support?
No.

What's this about preorder bonuses?
For preordering the game or buying copies of the physical "launch" edition of Outward you will get two items. There is a "Fireworks Skill" and a "Pearlbird" pet both of which are cosmetic only and have no impact on the mechanics of the game.

Any chance of a Switch port?
Via the CEO of the studio…

Chances of a switch port are low. If the game does really well, we might try but it would be a technical struggle. Split screen on the Switch would be unlikely however.

System Requirements?
MINIMUM
Processor: Intel Core i5-750 or equivalent
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GTS 450 or equivalent
Storage: 15 GB available space

RECOMMENDED
Processor: Intel Core i5-2400 or equivalent
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 960 or equivalent
Storage: 15 GB available space

PS4 Pro? Xbox One X
Outward features the following enhancements on both consoles…

Resolutions (XB1X: 4K, PS4 Pro: 2K)
Draw distance is increased.
Grass intensity and and LODs are improved.
Water reflections

media93knq.png

ss_dd23d79c83d98409b6e34338ce5994fc2dde0669.600x338.jpg
ss_904cdd411b2fad710b1af3c85c76b92131464bf5.600x338.jpg

ss_4335e1877c0cba0c593ee6a7127b954d627a455e.600x338.jpg
ss_4b67dce0c75f88a6d40fca2f6f8a6233ec08db87.600x338.jpg

reviewsadjms.png

Metacritic (PC) - 70

Destructoid 6/10
https://www.destructoid.com/review-outward-547670.phtml

Taken as a whole, Outward practically screams "cult classic." Its consistent challenge, cumbersome combat, and co-op systems won't resonate with everyone. But for a particular type of player—ones that don't mind trading dozens of frustrating moments for open-ended experiences—Nine Dot Studios' RPG is sure to find a dedicated audience. Outward's aspirations are commendable, but just like its protagonist, the end result is just average.

Outward is a tough game to review because I know there are a ton of people that are going to pick this thing up and absolutely detest it, and, as I said, sometimes I felt that way myself. For the right kind of person, though, this game is going to scratch an itch that not many others can. Because of its relatively niche appeal, I don't see Outward breaking any sales records, but it does seem like a game destined to be revered in the right circles for quite some time.

PC Gamer 89/100
https://www.pcgamer.com/outward-rev...PglFzCWYKDiHjF-z5Ev6bTcJ3K9G9I5JUZkVEcQYirt6Q
Outward's unusual design provides a different experience than I've found in most RPGs. It completely breaks the common habits of fast-traveling, gaining a fortune in loot, becoming an all-powerful god, and reloading saved games when things don't go as planned or you make a choice you regret. It makes minor setbacks feel like major obstacles to overcome and it makes small victories feel like utter triumphs. Outward is harsh and occasionally frustrating, but it does what so few games do. It requires you to put real thought into the choices you make, and it makes those choices feel like they really matter. Most of all, it makes you approach each and every encounter as if your life depended on it—even though you never die.

links0fjcp.png

Official Site
Steam
Xbox Marketplace
Playstation Store

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Seems like a very open Eruojank RPG? With online multiplayer? Hmmmmm!

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, I think I'm in. I have been waiting for this game since I saw a trailer a few months back. Kind of want to rent it first but it sounds like a definite buy from what ive read.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much bought this blind. I have many concerns, but likely won't get to it for months anyway. Hopefully any balancing or launch issues are dealt with by then. Was priced just right to get me to bite on premise alone. Hope I don't regret it.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Great OT. I've received my copy just a few minutes ago. Going to my buddy's to test dat couch coop goodness.

Last edited:

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks OP, I was too lazy to do a OT.

I've know the devs and know they gotta love this OT.

Here's a few interesting bits i saw on Reddit

I'd like to start talking about Outward by talking about another game, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. This game revolutionized open worlds more than a decade ago by creating a virtual world that seemed to exist outside of the player and really not give much of a damn about us. Factions of enemies would battle it out, survival was a tough part of the game and victory never a guarantee, but at the same time the world was not necessarily against you, it was just a very hostile world you happened to be a part of.

This first quest already sets the tone for Outward. This game gives you nothing, limits you nowhere and always has plenty of ways to proceed. At the same time, the mechanics and systems are incredibly well thought out. In any other game, inventory capacity is just a number that bothers you. Here, almost everything you find is worthy of being carried so thinking about the space in your backpack is key to success. Sometimes you have to cut a mission short, go back to base and sell some stuff and go back to the dungeon. Backpacks are physical and have different attributes. One of the earliest ones gives no roll penalty but can't carry a lot, however most other backpacks heavily reduce your roll ability and you must drop them before fighting (by pressing down).

I happened to be unfortunate enough to lose my backpack completely with a LOT of valuables. When I went back to my hometown to rebuild... it was completely broken. My house, my stash full of valuables, destroyed. This is loss like I've never experienced in a game before and will take me hours and hours to go back, to the point it's probably better to delete my savefile alltogether. I have no house in any region, no backpack and no hope. This is my fault, I could've avoided my towns destruction and it was my recklessness that led me to die and lose my backpack. Some won't like that this can happen, but I happen to appreciate this level of utter defeat and like when games give me the option to fail this hard.

This is all possible thanks to the game's save system. There's none. It autosaves every single second, so you can never go back on any decision or wrongdoing.

people

Oct 27, 2017
8Vn3eWU.jpg

Had some more time to play today. After returning to the 'starting area' for reasons, I found it was snowing and I quickly caught a cold. I learned and discovered several new and useful (Alchemy) recipes as well as one for a nice new backpack (size=60). Despite my earlier concerns and struggles, my outlook has become more optimistic. I even actually started one of the quest lines.

Loading screens on PS4 (Pro) vary between 30+ to 50-ish seconds, the latter is not uncommon, but some areas load 'faster'. Loading happens when entering/exiting towns/dungeons, changing regions and resting/sleeping.

Random trivia: 5 minutes in real time = 2 hours in game time, or 1hr RT = 1day/24h in game.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Game came out of nowhere. I'm very intrigued actually, I might just get it and see what's up. I wanna get through Sekiro first though, but the lower price makes it very enticing indeed.

Any word on PS4 Pro performance?

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
Seems like a very open Eruojank RPG? With online multiplayer? Hmmmmm!
This is basically where I'm at with this game.
Seems like its trying to do a lot of things, and I'm a little concerned that it might be a Jack of All Trades, Master of None. ....and lack polish in the process.
I would love to be wrong because I need a new RPG with a fresh perspective.

Can't wait for reviews. In the meantime, the PCGamer preview from February looked promising.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
8Vn3eWU.jpg

Had some more time to play today. After returning to the 'starting area' for reasons, I found it was snowing and I quickly caught a cold. I learned and discovered several new and useful (Alchemy) recipes as well as one for a nice new backpack (size=60). Despite my earlier concerns and struggles, my outlook has become more optimistic. I even actually started one of the quest lines.

Loading screens on PS4 (Pro) vary between 30+ to 50-ish seconds, the latter is not uncommon, but some areas load 'faster'. Loading happens when entering/exiting towns/dungeons, changing regions and resting/sleeping.

Random trivia: 5 minutes in real time = 2 hours in game time, or 1hr RT = 1day/24h in game.
Did you get the day one patch?

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I bought it due to positive previews. I'll need to see how annoyed I'll ultimately get with survival mechanics but I've liked everything else I heard about

Dr. Benton Quest

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
8Vn3eWU.jpg

Do you have a review copy?

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the OT! Excited to play this in 8ish hours and see if my hype got the better of me. I am looking forward to a change of pace from Div 2 and Sekiro. I've been watching this one for a while and I hope it doesn't disappoint!

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
8Vn3eWU.jpg

Any other impressions?

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully, ResetEra will give this game a chance even if it's published by Deep Silver. It's too bad the game got caught up in the shitshow that is THQ/Deep Silver but it's not like they could do anything a few weeks before release. Hopefully ERA who are against Deep/Silver will still give this game a chance.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eagerly awaiting more impressions, the game seems very interesting in its potential, but flew very much under the radar.

Mattofrivia

Nov 23, 2017
Wow, this came out of nowhere for me. Really looks promising. Love the co-op ability. I have been looking for a game for me and the wife to play since we finished DOS:2 for the second time already. Might just grab this now, impressions seem to be fairly positive.

Last edited:

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I got my key this morning. I hope I like it. I'm still really not keen on the survival stuff.

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in the game and I might get it, but I hope the developer distances themselves from Deep Silver in the future.

The only reason I'm considering the purchase is because for one, they're a small company that could use the sales. And beyond that, they've most likely had a contract for years they can't simple change on a whim because of THQ Nordics poor choices.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019
Ive been interested for sure. Will see what the reviews say (don't care about the number).

Seems like a very interesting take on open world RPGs.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Any word on the soundtrack? This can make or break a game for me. Though of course I could always turn down music and put on the Witcher 3 ost.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I already got and activated the Steam key from CDKeys, so that worked out.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I've played the first hours, local coop. Completed a quest that took us to a nearby dungeon and managed to save our awesome lighthouse.

So far the surviving elements are pretty light. You can find water about everywhere, even inside dungeons and there's plenty of food or wood for fires.

I guess it will get harder as you explore more and get further from your hometown,.

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing for about an hour. Really cool so far. Survival elements don't seem to harsh and it seems fun to explore for now. Combat is taking a bit to get used to because it is a bit janky but once I've got my head around that I think it should be fine . Loading times on ps4 are on the long side which kind of sucks

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Good to hear more impressions about the survival elements being pretty light.

Been playing for about an hour. Really cool so far. Survival elements don't seem to harsh and it seems fun to explore for now. Combat is taking a bit to get used to because it is a bit janky but once I've got my head around that I think it should be fine . Loading times on ps4 are on the long side which kind of sucks
Yeah, I initially thought that it'll be a seamless open world. But it seems it's more like Skyrim, where you need a loading screen to get in/outside of towns, dungeons, even buildings.