• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slochy

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else with a 2080ti or other higher end card getting less than expected performance? Having to mess around with the settings between ultra/high to keep a stable 60 at 4K and the game is hardly a looker in the opening town lol.

Tho the lighting is nice

Yeah, same here, hello. I found out that putting the Water quality from Very High to High alone nets you the biggest boost, weirdly enough. Also the resolution scaling slider helps a bit by decreasing it one notch without having to fiddle with everything else. Tbh, I find it quite funny that a game as ugly as this one still features a plethora of graphics related options, aspect ratios, a FOV slider and whatnot. All devs should learn a thing or two from this, I'm loving it.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
A lot of the animations or little touches are nice, like the sway of the lantern and bag or how you sheathe a two handed axe by resting it against your shoulder. Really enjoying the first few hours.
There are lots of attention to details in Outward. Another example is how the lighting and lantern works.

pzMNUVn.jpg

With regular backpacks, you can only attach your lantern on the back. That sounds useful, but not really, because the light won't illuminate the front area that well as the light path is blocked by your body. The most ideal way is to hold the lantern (or torch) with your left hand, but that means that you won't be using an off-hand weapon. Now, with that backpack on the left, you can put the lantern on top so the light can illuminate the surrounding area better.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Patch notes:
We have a patch available, fixing these items:

• Fix issue where searching for an existing game would always return a 'game not found' message error.
  • Controller Joystick sensitivity is now affected by the setting 'Camera Sensitivity'.
  • Bandit Camp in the south in Chersonese's map has been moved to fit its actual position.
  • Each elevator in the tutorial can now be toggled with their respective levers.
  • Added a workaround to force all controllers to be assigned to the second player in split screen (for those having the issue of all controllers being assigned to player1). Player 1 will only have the Mouse and Keyboard. It is temporary while we make an actual menu for controller assignation. To toggle this workaround, add a txt file named "CONTROLLERP2.txt" in 'Outward_Data' which is Outward's install directory.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/794260/discussions/0/1768133742954716741/

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
I really really need some pointers on what the fuck im doing wrong. Im so close to just dropping this game. Im in the marshes and I cant kill a sibgle bandit. I do so little damage and sikce they are always in pairs, im just trading blows until I run or die.

I have brutal greataxe (33 dmg) and wear adventurer armor, halfplate boots and ammolite helm. No merchant in Monsoon or in the first city sell anything better than what I already have. What am I doing wrong?

Also they really need to fix the fucking aggro on some monsters. I literally ran through the whole marsh with two of those little rock wolf creatures behind me. Its honestly easier and faster just kill yourself if you see them.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I really really need some pointers on what the fuck im doing wrong. Im so close to just dropping this game. Im in the marshes and I cant kill a sibgle bandit. I do so little damage and sikce they are always in pairs, im just trading blows until I run or die.

I have brutal greataxe (33 dmg) and wear adventurer armor, halfplate boots and ammolite helm. No merchant in Monsoon or in the first city sell anything better than what I already have. What am I doing wrong?

Also they really need to fix the fucking aggro on some monsters. I literally ran through the whole marsh with two of those little rock wolf creatures behind me. Its honestly easier and faster just kill yourself if you see them.
How's your weapon's durability?

I haven't been there but the bandits in the first region and the forest one feel equal to me.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The lighting engine is really wonderful.

The game is rough around the edges as was expected, I just hope that doesnt put people off because it is really refreshing.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
How's your weapon's durability?

I haven't been there but the bandits in the first region and the forest one feel equal to me.
Everything seems to be fixed. The mobs in the first area were small bumbs for me which is why I decided to go to the next place. Now I literally cannot get out of Monsoon without running past everything (which id not fun obviously.) I cant really gear up, the raptor like enemied totally wreck me if I dont get every possibly advantage over them.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Yeah im just gonna delete the game. Im not wasting anymore time running through the marsh just to die to the last raptor which I need to kill for rations. Its honestly a broken game at this state. The only way for me to get rations to go back, was to buy them from Lyda. I bought 8 of them and tadah, 7 of them just disappeared from my inventory. Now I only have 1 and I literally cannot travel back.

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017
We're having fun with it, though it's not for the faint of heart. My previous post has some more detailed impressions.

What do you think of the game in terms of systems? It does seem to have a lot of feature creep, such as the survival mechanics which appear to be quite shallow from what I've seen. Do they actually have a solid design purpose or do they end up feeling mostly like busywork?

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
My co-op buddy and I have spent pretty much two whole evenings just exploring the first area. Maybe tonight we'll finally move on. We still have a lot of places we could explore there though, but I'm starting to wonder if this is a "Leave the damn Hinterlands!" moment, lol.

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
All this talk of people playing co-op :(

I had almost convinced a buddy of mine to play, but he's too invested in The Division 2 right now.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah im just gonna delete the game. Im not wasting anymore time running through the marsh just to die to the last raptor which I need to kill for rations. Its honestly a broken game at this state. The only way for me to get rations to go back, was to buy them from Lyda. I bought 8 of them and tadah, 7 of them just disappeared from my inventory. Now I only have 1 and I literally cannot travel back.

Is there no other part of the world to explore? It sounds like you are in a high level of zone too early.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
There are some ways that the game's death logic breaks down a bit though. For instance, in the Vendavel (?) Fort, we got thrown in jail, told the jailers we'd help the medic, grabbed our stuff back from the chests instead (well, that was easy), then killed the guards, and got the prison key. We put it in our pack.

We then tried to fight the dude that threw us in there in the first place and died. So we got thrown in prison again....only the guards were still dead so we just walked out. Our stuff was put in the exact same place, key and all.

Obviously it's kinda nice that it's not so incredibly punishing, but it does result in some nonsensical situations like that.

Edit: texhnolyze I saw a vendor have some Travelers Boots of some sort with a movement speed buff IIRC.

Last edited:

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
I got to put some time into this last night and I really like what I've played thus far! It is difficult but not overly punishing. There is definitely a genuine charm to it given its low production value nature, but it oozes passion and charm. You can tell love was put into making this.

Looking forward to diving deeper and trying out co-op!

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
So I know the premise is you're just an average joe in a big scary world, but how is the late game progression? Do you ever feel strong or is it always scary?

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Tried to go into the Conflux mountain in the Heroic Kingdom door... it didn't work out so well for my friend and I. We managed to get out with our lives and backpacks though. Before that we made it to the top of the mountain thinking that was the way to the entrance and fought a mantis.

Someone earlier said there is a path where someone guides you so... I might want to try that one.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So for those who have put more hours into the title, how is it so far? I only got past the shipwreck thing at the start and then I stopped for the day. Won't be able to touch it again until this weekend

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
There are some ways that the game's death logic breaks down a bit though. For instance, in the Vendavel (?) Fort, we got thrown in jail, told the jailers we'd help the medic, grabbed our stuff back from the chests instead (well, that was easy), then killed the guards, and got the prison key. We put it in our pack.

We then tried to fight the dude that threw us in there in the first place and died. So we got thrown in prison again....only the guards were still dead so we just walked out. Our stuff was put in the exact same place, key and all.

Obviously it's kinda nice that it's not so incredibly punishing, but it does result in some nonsensical situations like that.

Edit: texhnolyze I saw a vendor have some Travelers Boots of some sort with a movement speed buff IIRC.

I had a similar experience too. I cleaned up the bandit area before tackling the boss. Then I died to said boss, so I was put into the jail. But since the jailer has been killed earlier, I can simply walk out and take my bag, then take my revenge.

Right, I've heard about the shoes too. I wonder if there are many other, or they're just random.

So I know the premise is you're just an average joe in a big scary world, but how is the late game progression? Do you ever feel strong or is it always scary?
Not late game yet, but even in mid game I can already feel the progression. I'm not dying as fast as before, and the additional passive and active skills can make the fights easier.

So for those who have put more hours into the title, how is it so far? I only got past the shipwreck thing at the start and then I stopped for the day. Won't be able to touch it again until this weekend
It's great. When the devs said preparation is key, they really mean it. Adventuring needs preparation, you need to bring water and food with you, as well as some bandages. You need to be constantly aware of your surrounding in the open world, because you need to pick your fight carefully. Exploration is also very rewarding, with chests scattered in hidden spots and dungeons to find with valuable loots.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
This is so good, I really like how prepared you have to be and the amount of detail in the mechanics, like the different types of water, status effects and stuff. It doesn't end up being too complicated though, just makes you think about things you wouldn't normally.

And it actually gets dark at night and underground, so that you literally can't see without a torch, and even then only just in front of you. The lighting seems really good too, you can see the shadows moving across the ground as the sun sets.

The whole backpack mechanic and being able to put it down for fights is neat too. I keep getting paranoid an enemy will steal it though.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
What triggers a season change? It is suddenly winter and there have been no creature spawns at all in the first zone for 4 days. Is this a bug, or is it what happens in winter?

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
What triggers a season change? It is suddenly winter and there have been no creature spawns at all in the first zone for 4 days. Is this a bug, or is it what happens in winter?
I noticed this too as I'm exactly in the same situation.

There are no more normal creatures, but there are other (nastier) creatures now, including the wendigo. The lightning lobsters are also still roaming about.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I had a bug where winter would drop suddenly, but i reload my save and it wasn't there anymore, don't know about the monsters spawn tho, you could ask a dev on the discord

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I should not have bought this game before finishing Sekiro. The last 2 days I've spent playing this instead. I'm a sucker for any game with even mild similarities to the Gothic series so I couldn't resist. 14 hours and 1 restart later and I feel like I've not made any progress which is kind of a bummer. Will keep at it though.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Very happy the Gothic style lead a wild animal into a bandit camp and wreck havoc tactic works lol, tho not as effective as in 3 of course

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I was fighting in the southern bandit camp with my recurve bow. When I switched to my sword, my recurve bow disappeared entirely from my inventory.

I looked everywhere for it thinking I might have dropped it, but it wasn't anywhere.

Ran all the way back to town and bought a new one, spending 100 gold on it.

Got back to the bandit camp and the exact same thing happened again. Recurve bow completely gone from my inventory again.

That's 200 gold down the drain.

For a game that doesn't allow manual saves that is completely unacceptable. So basically I'm thinking that any item I have can disappear forever from my inventory, and I can't restore the game to fix the bug.

Shelving this until I hear this is fixed.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Unlocked magic woot, lot of kiting enemies through dark labyrinths lol

Hope I didn't screw myself over in the long run with the mana channeling as the system seems convoluted enough that I'm not sure how often I'll end up using magic.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I was fighting in the southern bandit camp with my recurve bow. When I switched to my sword, my recurve bow disappeared entirely from my inventory.

I looked everywhere for it thinking I might have dropped it, but it wasn't anywhere.

Ran all the way back to town and bought a new one, spending 100 gold on it.

Got back to the bandit camp and the exact same thing happened again. Recurve bow completely gone from my inventory again.

That's 200 gold down the drain.

For a game that doesn't allow manual saves that is completely unacceptable. So basically I'm thinking that any item I have can disappear forever from my inventory, and I can't restore the game to fix the bug.

Shelving this until I hear this is fixed.
Are you PC or console? I've heard similar stories on console versions, but haven't seen it on PC. It never happened to me too. The devs have already noticed the issue and it's on their list, among others.
8aYsIV9.png

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Is there a way to sort my weight on a controller? Or keyboard and I'll just walk over and do it lol

Weather system is cool and the snow makes everything look very different. Need to patch in footprints tho :p

Last edited:

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
God damn, that's the bug. Unfortunately the vendor doesn't have any more recurve bows so it really screwed me.