• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so the patch from last week fixed my texture issues and I've been able to play here and there.

I paid my debt, did a quick side mission to retrieve a shield and sent off the three friends the MC had in town. I love this game so far! It is pretty for what it is, the combat is probably the best I have experienced in a eurojank rpg and I really enjoy the systems. I was worried about light being an issue in caves but I attach my lantern to my bag, drop it when I see an enemy and lure it to my light source to fight.

I have a few questions:

1. The map I see once I leave the town, is that the entire world map or is this game broken down into big zones?

2. If it is broken down, should I explore the whole thing now or are some parts really tough and I'll be better off returning to this zone later?

3. Are there any mark and recall spells like morrowind? I can hoof it everywhere (I literally did that in morrowind because I had no clue those spells existed until like 35 hours in lol).

This is far better than I expected. So far my only complaint is the journal isn't very descriptive. I was expecting directions to at least be included but I can always right things down, no biggie.

people

Oct 27, 2017
I have a few questions:

1. The map I see once I leave the town, is that the entire world map or is this game broken down into big zones?

2. If it is broken down, should I explore the whole thing now or are some parts really tough and I'll be better off returning to this zone later?

3. Are there any mark and recall spells like morrowind? I can hoof it everywhere (I literally did that in morrowind because I had no clue those spells existed until like 35 hours in lol).

This is far better than I expected. So far my only complaint is the journal isn't very descriptive. I was expecting directions to at least be included but I can always right things down, no biggie.
1. Apart from the first map there are a {number}* of other big zones.
2. Exploring the first map completely before you visit other regions may cause you to have to revisit locations for quest/story reasons.
3. No, there are some 'shortcuts' that you can open to reduce travel time, but otherwise you go everywhere on foot, unless you want to gamble with the 'defeat' mechanism that can 'drop you of' in 'random locations'.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
this looks interesting, might be right up my alley. kind of a mix between BOTW, gothic and dark souls?
how strong is magic in this game?

might give this a shot after I am done with sekiro.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
this looks interesting, might be right up my alley. kind of a mix between BOTW, gothic and dark souls?
how strong is magic in this game?

might give this a shot after I am done with sekiro.

I've only played with Spellblade (kinda a hybrid) and Rune Magic, but it seems interesting, and later in the game you can really specialize into magic-type builds with gear that allows you to cast stuff with no mana cost (it sounds more overpowered on paper than it is, but it's still pretty great). Rune magic is pretty varied in that you can use it to summon a sword or greatsword and then put a protective buff on yourself, or lay magic mines or light a floating lantern. And then the spellblade abilities can infuse Fire or Ice into the summoned sword (or a regular weapon), and then there's some general non-specialized magic you can use to buff the elemental damage with a boon (or you can use an item/potion).

The magic isn't super overpowered on its own, but there are some powerful synergies. The same is true for melee abilities tbh. You can buy two cheap abilities in the first town to be able to quickly put both pain and confusion on an enemy with an axe/shield build.

Note that the classes are more soft specializations by purchasing skills at trainers and not a hard choice like Dragon's Dogma or something like that.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Still not an Eurojank RPG even if it has been mentioned AGAIN...

Reviews are a bit divisive on this title, I feel.

Feb 21, 2019
I've only played with Spellblade (kinda a hybrid) and Rune Magic, but it seems interesting, and later in the game you can really specialize into magic-type builds with gear that allows you to cast stuff with no mana cost (it sounds more overpowered on paper than it is, but it's still pretty great). Rune magic is pretty varied in that you can use it to summon a sword or greatsword and then put a protective buff on yourself, or lay magic mines or light a floating lantern. And then the spellblade abilities can infuse Fire or Ice into the summoned sword (or a regular weapon), and then there's some general non-specialized magic you can use to buff the elemental damage with a boon (or you can use an item/potion).

The magic isn't super overpowered on its own, but there are some powerful synergies. The same is true for melee abilities tbh. You can buy two cheap abilities in the first town to be able to quickly put both pain and confusion on an enemy with an axe/shield build.

Note that the classes are more soft specializations by purchasing skills at trainers and not a hard choice like Dragon's Dogma or something like that.
Do you like the game overall?

Fireclad

Oct 27, 2017
The Void
I definitely need to spend more time with this. I got through the tutorial last night and only managed to get a handful of minutes exploring Cierzo this morning. So far though I was really impressed by the sheer depth of the mechanics at play in the tutorial. I'm not expecting too much from the combat, but so far this is seriously evoking some of my favorite parts of Dragon's Dogma.

Rubikant

Oct 29, 2017
Bothell, WA
So I could be wrong and this might be just an animation thing, but today I noticed that using a shield had you go back to a blocking stance much faster after an attack animation then blocking with the weapon itself (have something else in offhand). This means shield may be more useful than just blocking projectiles and reducing stamina cost of blocking (and certain shield-specific skills) by allowing safer melee attacks when an enemy has a lot of stability. Anyone else able to confirm this?

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
So I could be wrong and this might be just an animation thing, but today I noticed that using a shield had you go back to a blocking stance much faster after an attack animation then blocking with the weapon itself (have something else in offhand). This means shield may be more useful than just blocking projectiles and reducing stamina cost of blocking (and certain shield-specific skills) by allowing safer melee attacks when an enemy has a lot of stability. Anyone else able to confirm this?
I've always used a shield since the beginning, so I can't confirm how it compares with other offhand weapons in blocking efficiency. But from my experience, blocking is more stamina efficient than rolling, and you don't take damage just like rolling. On top of that, you can quickly counter attack after blocking, unlike rolling where you might create a huge space between you and the target.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Figured it out
it is part of a quest lol

Man it has been over 30 minutes and I can't get this gate in
Ancestor's Resting Place
ancestorsrestingplace5vk8g.png

Last edited:

g23

Oct 27, 2017
How's the open world and lore of the game? Does it make an effort to make things interesting? Or is it just generic fantasy faire with barely any political intrigue?

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I really had to learn to ignore my hoarding tendencies and start selling more shit, my pack was almost always full because "what if I need that after I sold it?". I did make it to one of the other maps and bought a 100 slot backpack, it slightly lowered my speed but now I can gather everything I find to sell for later. Starting to get into a good flow of gathering everything when I'm out, and whenever I need to sleep, I check what I can craft and craft anything I need, or anything that'll give me a better profit as a crafted item rather than the raw materials. Once my pack starts to get really full I drag myself back to the main city to sell and check if there's anything new to buy for myself. I really love being able to play like a pack rat, if it's not something I need, I'm taking it back to sell or craft into something I can sell.

Aesop

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Is it recommendable to play the whole game with a friend through online co-op? How would that even work if only the host is getting rewards/ items.. ?

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is it recommendable to play the whole game with a friend through online co-op? How would that even work if only the host is getting rewards/ items.. ?
I don't own the game so hopefully someone who does can chime in but from reading about it if co-op plays with you they do get rewards but it might not be quest progression?

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Only the host's story and world progresses, and so far where I'm at, most reward items aren't unique and can still be obtained through regular gameplay.

Aesop

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Only the host's story and world progresses, and so far where I'm at, most reward items aren't unique and can still be obtained through regular gameplay.

But do we both get money/ rewards or only the host? How can i keep up with new equipment, weapons, spells if im just a guest? We wanted to play it co-op only, but it sounds like thats a shitty long-term experience for the guest?

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
But do we both get money/ rewards or only the host? How can i keep up with new equipment, weapons, spells if im just a guest? We wanted to play it co-op only, but it sounds like thats a shitty long-term experience for the guest?
I haven't been able to play much multiplayer myself, but there's a chance it might be bugged cause I hear different people saying they do or don't get rewards as a client when the host finished a quest. But besides, you make most of your money selling things, quest rewards are mostly insignificant as far as I'm at. Same goes with equipment, almost all your gear is gonna be from crafting it yourself, looting from chests and dead people, buying it, or getting a blacksmith to craft it for you. Quest rewards have been very minor for me so far.

Aesop

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I haven't been able to play much multiplayer myself, but there's a chance it might be bugged cause I hear different people saying they do or don't get rewards as a client when the host finished a quest. But besides, you make most of your money selling things, quest rewards are mostly insignificant as far as I'm at. Same goes with equipment, almost all your gear is gonna be from crafting it yourself, looting from chests and dead people, buying it, or getting a blacksmith to craft it for you. Quest rewards have been very minor for me so far.

Does that mean the loot from killing enemies and chests etc. is doubled and automatically split between both players or is it first come first served and one of us is f***ed?

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Does that mean the loot from killing enemies and chests etc. is doubled and automatically split between both players or is it first come first served and one of us is f***ed?

It's who gets it first, but you can drop stuff and the other can pick it up. Should both be playing different classes as well and divvy up the loot depending on who needs what.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just unlocked rune magic and lexicon, love it!

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Yea, only the host gets the quest-specific rewards and gear. And when you get to an end-dungeon or boss enemy drop, there's only one of them to grab. There is, however, more than enough loot to go around to gear two people up and keep them well-stocked.

What my friend and I did was essentially run two of the game questlines in parallel by swapping hosting duties.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
I was interested in this game and saw some YouTube videos and I'm left wondering if making mobs agro on each other to travel is the efficient way to travel? Every video I saw most of the video was people trying to get mobs to agro off of them onto another mob and it was incredibly boring to watch. Did I just pick some bad videos?

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
89/100 from PC Gamer

https://www.pcgamer.com/outward-rev...PglFzCWYKDiHjF-z5Ev6bTcJ3K9G9I5JUZkVEcQYirt6Q
Outward's unusual design provides a different experience than I've found in most RPGs. It completely breaks the common habits of fast-traveling, gaining a fortune in loot, becoming an all-powerful god, and reloading saved games when things don't go as planned or you make a choice you regret. It makes minor setbacks feel like major obstacles to overcome and it makes small victories feel like utter triumphs. Outward is harsh and occasionally frustrating, but it does what so few games do. It requires you to put real thought into the choices you make, and it makes those choices feel like they really matter. Most of all, it makes you approach each and every encounter as if your life depended on it—even though you never die.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I just started the game in earnest this evening, and I'm really enjoying it. I was very skeptical about comparisons to Gothic going in, because stuff I'd seen just didn't bear that out, but I get it now. It's not exactly the same, but there's definitely a lot of influence there.

I beelined to unlock magic, because I gotta be all magey. And now I'm kind of exploring. I have no idea which faction I'm going to join. In Piranha Bytes games, one of the factions is usually better for mages, but I'm not sure if that's the case here.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe they haven't fixed the disappearing bow bug yet.

Been waiting for 2 weeks now for the patch so I can play again.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe they haven't fixed the disappearing bow bug yet.

Been waiting for 2 weeks now for the patch so I can play again.
Wasn't there a patch about this? I remember seeing the patch notes.

Version 1.04

• items no longer disappear from backpack
  • issue with disappearing mana is fixed
  • Broken map issue is no longer present
  • Burac no longer gives skills for both players in multiplayer
  • Some more minor issues were resolved

EDIT: Oh, there's a separate specific disappearing bow bug on PC, I see.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
Just got this on PS4. I can't tell if there's some input lag or if I'm just constantly fighting with the camera's auto-centering and general floatiness. It feels like I'm playing via remote play, and I've never gotten motion sickness this strongly and this quickly into a game. I'm having to take breathers between each room of the tutorial. :/

Fireclad

Oct 27, 2017
The Void
Just got this on PS4. I can't tell if there's some input lag or if I'm just constantly fighting with the camera's auto-centering and general floatiness. It feels like I'm playing via remote play, and I've never gotten motion sickness this strongly and this quickly into a game. I'm having to take breathers between each room of the tutorial. :/
You gotta up the camera sensitivity a BUNCH.

Sorry to hear about your motion sickness. A lot of the game takes place outside so it might get a little easier once you start the game proper. Does sitting further from the screen help?

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
You gotta up the camera sensitivity a BUNCH.

Sorry to hear about your motion sickness. A lot of the game takes place outside so it might get a little easier once you start the game proper. Does sitting further from the screen help?
Yup, first thing I did was jack the sensitivity way up. As I went through the tutorial, I was trying to not move the camera at all and let the auto-centering do most of the work, and then only tapping the right stick when I needed to move the camera myself, and that's been helping a lot.

And, yeah, I'm sure being inside is making it tougher. I got motion sickness really bad at the beginning of Horizon: Zero Dawn when you're in a cave, but was basically fine after that. So, I'm remaining hopeful about this game! Thanks.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
This one has its hooks in and won't let go. Each zone has its own vibe plus both day and night soundtracks. For as rough as the game can be on ps4(especially some of these character models) its still beautiful to me at times. I've gotten more enjoyment out of this than some games I've paid 60 bucks for.

Can you still visit the towns of the other factions once you join one?

Yes you can. You will have missions that take you to other towns its looking like as well so you are not locked out. There is only one time sensitive quest I have seen so far when you join a faction regardless of who you choose by the way so do that ASAP

DrDamn

Oct 27, 2017
Started this over the weekend after following this thread since launch. It's obviously a bit rough round the edges and very much not a game for everyone, but it's fantastic that people still make games like this. I love that it feels like a proper adventure - you have to get kitted up for wherever you are going, stock up on supplies, food and water. Each battle is a genuine fight, exploration is dangerous and generally rewarding.

Got past the potentially tricky timed start fairly easily - mushroom quest and generally looting and selling lots of stuff. Are there any penalties for nicking stuff about town?

Now I'm just exploring a little from the starting town trying to make enough money to survive and buy new gear. Upgraded my backpack first, now to head back to those caverns and clear them out … I might need to actually make a map! :-)

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Similar boat, picked it up this weekend and started playing this morning. It is... very rough graphically and the camera/input smoothing is prone to make me ill, need to play around with adjusting that. Not sure I'll enjoy the survival aspects, but looking forward to the freedom of futzing around however I want. I am jonesing hard for an open world RPG after finishing Enderal and hope this can fill that hole.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
I played about 5 mins of this on PS4.

It looks abysmal, the face I picked was not correct in game then my guy laid down in the sleeping roll with a lit torch. I had enough.

It's a shame I can't look past that stuff, because it sounds like something I would love.

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
Yikes at the last couple posts...I picked it up over the weekend too, but I'm enjoying it thoroughly. Maybe it's cuz of the multiplayer idk, but we have had plenty of laughs so far.

Getting a feel for the overall gameplay, we are just exploring the first area so far. We have cleared the bandits camp, got mana from the purple mountain, did the ghost pass and then opened up the ancient ruins so easy access back to the main town.

We are going to trek to the wind tower next and we also have a side mission of going back to this fort we were enslaved at and killing the captors.

Only annoying glitch we've had is my buddy can't use his bow because it keeps despawning for whatever reason.

Game definitely has that create your own adventure vibe and is pretty janky but in a satisfying way.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Finally really got to spend much more time with this over the weekend and past week and I am still very much loving it.

I actually ended up starting over after being a decent way in with some decent skills... because I decided I wanted to do a Blood Bullet build. Sadly, because I chose to join the Holy Faction, I wouldn't be able to get the boon I needed to make that work. Possession Potions would still be an option, but I'd rather have the spell.

Starting over has been a lot of fun now that I know much more than I did the first time. Had my lighthouse on the afternoon of Day 1 and at Day 5 I am already well on my way to having a lot of gear my first character did, and some better weapons/gear from my Immaculate friend!

A thought I had today... could I not just transfer gear from my first character to my second via split screen? I'm on PS4 so I wasn't sure how that works. Seems like when I try to activate split screen, it makes me choose a different PSN account and choosing the same one I am playing on doesn't work? Maybe there is something I am missing.

I do have a friend that started playing this too so I could just hand some things to him to hand off.

Omega.X

Oct 28, 2017
Both me and my friend managed to lose our backpacks in co-op last night. It all started after we got thrown in the prison (and had a few follow up deaths shortly after). His completely disappeared and mine was marked on the compass but no where to be seen in the actual world. It's enough to make us want to stop playing all together!

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Well I finally got hit by a bug and it is/was game breaking. The kind that if the debug menu didn't exist, I would have had to stop playing that save. Basically in part of a faction quest, some dialogue with an NPC wouldn't trigger. that would have halted it. I used debug to add events, which made quest progress but even more janky. I didn't even really get to do the end. I then ended up with the faction quest complete and
Monsoon on fire forever

Sketchsanchez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I'm currently playing through and loving Elex, would I enjoy this as well if I pick it as my next game

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm currently playing through and loving Elex, would I enjoy this as well if I pick it as my next game

What do you love about Elex? I ask because I'd say the main glaring difference between the two is story and also the amount of dialogue. I think that Outward set out to put exploration in it's small world at the forefront. You feel weak at first, much like Elex. You make choices that will lock out other choices, like Elex. 3 Main Factions. In Outward, though, finding things on your own, no hand holding, very few map markings (a handful of main locations are mapped, many many dungeons are not), making your own builds, those take the forefront.

I enjoyed Elex, but the combat eventually wore me down and I hopped off the game after about 15-20 hours. Outward, though, I've restarted twice. Love the build choices, don't mind the smaller world, with it's quieter and empty feel. So it really comes down to what you like most about Elex.

Sketchsanchez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do you love about Elex? I ask because I'd say the main glaring difference between the two is story and also the amount of dialogue. I think that Outward set out to put exploration in it's small world at the forefront. You feel weak at first, much like Elex. You make choices that will lock out other choices, like Elex. 3 Main Factions. In Outward, though, finding things on your own, no hand holding, very few map markings (a handful of main locations are mapped, many many dungeons are not), making your own builds, those take the forefront.

I enjoyed Elex, but the combat eventually wore me down and I hopped off the game after about 15-20 hours. Outward, though, I've restarted twice. Love the build choices, don't mind the smaller world, with it's quieter and empty feel. So it really comes down to what you like most about Elex.
Well I love exploring to find new people to talk to get more quests and so on. I do enjoy the dialog because options exist to influence npcs. I also love the feel of getting stronger where I'm 40 hours in and ready to traverse the whole map unafraid.

DrDamn

Oct 27, 2017
Making progress, crafted myself a Fang Axe, went back and cleared the first mine/dungeon (it was smaller than I imagined from my first exploration), pottered down the coast a little taking on some electric shrimp things and now pondering an assault on the bandit camp. Enjoying the feeling of adventure. Combat wise I'm starting to get the hang of it - I'd like some more feedback on taking damage though. Some fights I finish feeling quite pleased with how I thought it went and then notice I'm on 25% health :D.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Combat wise I'm starting to get the hang of it - I'd like some more feedback on taking damage though. Some fights I finish feeling quite pleased with how I thought it went and then notice I'm on 25% health :D.

Hitboxes can be a little unforgivably ... loose. Enemies can hit you quite easily when it seems you were just out of range of their sweep. I found you just absolutely need to wait for the right opening and never get greedy. Greedy attacks and 'just one more swing!' is what always gets me hit. If I take my time and just take a swing or two and get out of there, I find I come away with little to no damage.

On the subject of 'getting out of there', I found it is far better to rely on dashing out of range than it is to roll. Roll seems to have a few extra frames to activate/recover from versus just sprinting to the side/back while still locked on.

At the point I am at now, I am pretty much a fully ranged (pistol) build so I only really take damage if I am doing something stupid. Love the pistol build, and ranged in general is fun. May go with a Bow build next time.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind it. It feels like a very stable 30fps. I thought I would mind that more than I do, but I really don't.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe I've been waiting a month for them to fix the disappearing bow bug.

You would think that it would be a critical hot fix that they would put out a day after learning about it

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
This game is damn good and the moment I realized that is when I went to tell a warlord to leave the starting city alone. He denied my request and instead said he would make me a slave. I fought off his guards and nearly killed him, having ran back to the traps I laid just in case. I got him to under half health and he KO'd me. I woke up as a worker in their prison and was able to bribe my way out. Upon going back I found him in his location, dead. I realized I had used bleeding traps on him and he had returned to his spawn location and bled to death while I was escaping prison.

It's got some issues and the game can be janky as all fuck, but man do moments like this make it worth it. Mods have helped a lot with some of these issues as well.

I also like that the survival aspect is implemented well enough to be engaging but not overbearing or tedious.