• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Didn't see it mentioned, there's a public beta patch out on Steam for the game, 1.7GB. You need to go into properties for the game, then to the Beta tab and choose Experimental Builds.

From the post on Steam RE: the patch

We decided to add an Experimental Branch on Steam to test out features and fixes before releasing them to everyone. You try it by going through the properties of Outward, in the tab 'Betas' and switch to 'Public - Beta - Experimental Builds'

We strongly recommend making a backup of the "SaveGames" folder located in the game's installation folder, as bugs and experimental features could break them.

And here are the patch notes for the first experimental build:

- Fixed items lost from bag when loading character
- Fixed infinite loading for client when joining host due to too many items in their inventory
- Fixed bow disappearing from hands (often due to dodge or getting hit while shooting)
- Fixed not being able to shoot with bow after opening/closing the game in network
- Fixed duplicating beds in Levant and Berg (Could be the cause for some crashes due to too many items)
- Fixed camping event archers hoarding swords and bows problem
- Fixed campfire performance issues for clients
- Fixed death animation not triggered upon reaching 0 needs (health, food, drink, sleep) while sliding indefinitely (generally due to a stuck spot)
- Fixed client spells that would hit multiple times
- Fixed an issue where players were moving before pressing Continue after a loading making them sometimes spawn into stuck spots or high in the air
- Fixed invisible collider blocking UI after a vicinity dialogue was displayed
- Fixed clients not being moved correctly while on an elevator
- Fixed enemies not being affected by falling damage
- Fixed Health/Stability sync delay while in online coop
- Fixed multiple knockbacks while in online coop
- Fixed camera not being properly locked even if an enemy is targeted
- Fixed menu rendering when using DirectX 9
- Casting spells with 100% or more of mana reduction still uses 1 mana
- Gold and Gaberry Wine aren't perishable anymore
- The pipe in Montcalm fort has been silenced
- Ghost of Vanasse no longer respawns on area reset
- Network bandwidth optimisation
- Improved loading in online coop to prevent some disconnects
- Host player's body should now be correctly visible when the client changes areas
- Online Region can be changed in the setting menu (note that people in different regions can't play together, make sure the regions are matching)
- Added a failsafe for bags that went under the ground to appear on their owners/host (Happens when a loading is completed)
- Added a failsafe for dead enemies that fall under the ground
- Most defeat scenarios now move the bag (as long as you are either wearing it or was dropped in the same area you were defeated)
- Second player's bag is now also moved during defeat scenarios
- Better validity check and error handling when retrieving save games on startup
- Changed rendering when using render scale 100, this could prevent some crashes
- Changed how items are loaded to reduce memory usage
- Various Quest progression fixes
- Minor fixes and adjustments

April 24th mini patch
- Fix an issue where client would swap their bag for another one in host's game and both bags would end up being equipped, but none visible.

Last edited:

Slochy

Oct 25, 2017
Patch hit stable on PC and consoles, here's the changelog for v1.05:

• enhanced quality of textures
  • performance improved in several areas
  • Fixed items lost from bag when loading character
  • Fixed infinite loading for client when joining host due to too many items in their inventory
  • Fixed bow disappearing from hands (often due to dodge or getting hit while shooting)
  • Fixed not being able to shoot with bow after opening/closing the game in network
  • Fixed duplicating beds in Levant and Berg (Could be the cause for some crashes due to too many items)
  • Fixed camping event archers hoarding swords and bows problem
  • Fixed campfire performance issues for clients
  • Fixed death animation not triggered upon reaching 0 needs (health, food, drink, sleep) while sliding indefinitely (generally due to a stuck spot)
  • Fixed client spells that would hit multiple times
  • Fixed an issue where players were moving before pressing Continue after a loading making them sometimes spawn into stuck spots or high in the air
  • Fixed invisible collider blocking UI after a vicinity dialogue was displayed
  • Fixed clients not being moved correctly while on an elevator
  • Fixed enemies not being affected by falling damage
  • Fixed Health/Stability sync delay while in online coop
  • Fixed multiple knockbacks while in online coop
  • Fixed camera not being properly locked even if an enemy is targeted
  • Casting spells with 100% or more of mana reduction still uses 1 mana
  • Gold and Gaberry Wine aren't perishable anymore
  • The pipe in Montcalm fort has been silenced
  • Ghost of Vanasse no longer respawns on area reset
  • Network bandwidth optimisation
  • Improved loading in online coop to prevent some disconnects
  • Host player's body should now be correctly visible when the client changes areas
  • Online Region can be changed in the setting menu (note that people in different regions can't play together, make sure the regions are matching)
  • Added a failsafe for bags that went under the ground to appear on their owners/host (Happens when a loading is completed)
  • Added a failsafe for dead enemies that fall under the ground
  • Most defeat scenarios now move the bag (as long as you are either wearing it or was dropped in the same area you were defeated)
  • Second player's bag is now also moved during defeat scenarios
  • Various Quest progression fixes
  • Minor fixes and adjustments

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I've been curious about this one for a while, and just ordered a copy. I was going to start a solo playthrough, but am also hoping to get some local co-op going occasionally. I suspect me having a somewhat more levelled character than my co-op partner might mess up the difficulty scaling. Should I start a new character for multiplayer, or will we be fine with me using my ordinary save?

people

Oct 27, 2017
Really tempting. Hows Performance on ps4pro with the new Patch?
Can't tell you about current performance, haven't touched the game after platinuming it 6 weeks ago. From what I remember performance on Pro was pretty ok, main issues at the time were textures (not sure if they were ever addressed) and (many) bugs/glitches. Looking at the latest patch notes a lot of issues should have been fixed, but can't confirm. Sale is on for another 2 weeks, so probably someone with recent experience might be able to provide more feedback.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Thinking about picking this up because of the sale, so many games to play right now with rage/plague tell lol.

For fans of Gothic how does this compare? I read the story/writing wasn't the best, is that true? That was one of the main things I loved about Gothic, the world and characters and freedom you had in regards to factions and things you could choose.

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
Just picked this up on the sale, is there any vids someone can recommend for beginner tips etc. Very new to the whole exploration/survival sim genre and feeling a bit overwhelmed at what to do/where to go first etc

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Thinking about playing this, what are people's impressions?

Amazing world, unforgiving, you start with next to nothing and they immediately throw you into the fire. It's awesome if you enjoy that type of challenge, combat can take a bit to get comfortable with. It's a lot of fun to play with a friend, but overall story progress doesn't carry over for the person joining the world, so for 2 people playing through together, it's better to swap who is running the "server" from time to time so both can advance.

One of the more satisfying games I've played this year, but it's not everybody's cup of tea. If you're a fan of the Gothic series, it's definitely in that vein with a variation of the Souls combat.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Bought this last night while it's on sale on the PSN. First impressions are wow this honestly looks like a PS3 game, but from the sounds of it, it's a very meaty RPG so I'm looking forward to sinking some hours into over the weekend.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Bought this last night while it's on sale on the PSN. First impressions are wow this honestly looks like a PS3 game, but from the sounds of it, it's a very meaty RPG so I'm looking forward to sinking some hours into over the weekend.
The co op is really engaging and has this good vibe. Hard to put a pulse on it it it's good.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Have they still not fixed the PS4 textures? Didn't they say that was a priority around the game's launch?

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I played and finished this over the last week and change, clocked around 30 hours into it. I appreciate what this game is trying to do, but I don't especially enjoy the way it goes about doing it. I enjoy a lack of instant fast travel, but having no alternative means of travel at all is rough, most of my time was spent walking from one place to another, and often slowly due to overencumbrance.

The map is another thing I like in theory but not in the way it's handled. You don't have a player marker, which I'm fine with. You have to orient yourself by looking around and finding landmarks you can identify. It's a cool way of navigating the land. What I don't like is that all the points of interest are given generic names that don't change once you've been to them. It's handy knowing where Ghost Pass is, but the map will only ever list it as a generic "Fort". This would be fine as well if you could write on the map or mark it in a way that was useful, but the only thing you can do to the map is place differently coloured shapes which isn't too helpful.

It's the kind of game that makes a lot of the struggle upfront, you suck, you have no skills, attacking can be clumsy, and enemies are so often in at least pairs that you're always at a significant disadvantage. Then you start finding good weapons and learning passive skills that circumvent the things designed to make you clumsy and things stop being much of an issue. So it kind of dulls a lot of the edge the game starts off with, which is good because I was strongly considering just quitting early on, though it makes for a game that's just sort of bland.

I admire the way the game handles magic though. Having to earn your mana by going through a trial and then needing to sacrifice a portion of health and stamina to convert to mana is something I appreciate way more than having it from the start. Magic isn't taken for granted here and you're not expected to use it, you're expected to commit to it if you want it, and I like that.

In terms of presentation what stood out to me was the music, every time I entered a new area I found myself surprised at how good the tunes were. In terms of environment I also liked the area around Conflux Mountain.

My favourite part of the game was encountering
the gold lich. I fought him, I beat him up, he says he can't be killed and will repair in a few weeks and his plans will commence. I retort with, well, I beat you up already, so I'll keep beating you up for as long as I live. He then takes that to consideration and calls off his plan for the remainder of my character's life and gives me weekly resource bribes because of the threat. I found that hilarious.

The main questline (I went Blue Chamber) ended abruptly and I had an entire armour set dumped on me which encumbered me to the point that I literally couldn't move and was told to screw off and do whatever I wanted now. Problem is I just didn't have the motivation to go post-game exploring and questing, I already had enough of the game's traversal. Anyways, I liked the game just fine, and I like what it was going for, but the execution left something to be desired.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
I played and finished this over the last week and change, clocked around 30 hours into it. I appreciate what this game is trying to do, but I don't especially enjoy the way it goes about doing it. I enjoy a lack of instant fast travel, but having no alternative means of travel at all is rough, most of my time was spent walking from one place to another, and often slowly due to overencumbrance.

The map is another thing I like in theory but not in the way it's handled. You don't have a player marker, which I'm fine with. You have to orient yourself by looking around and finding landmarks you can identify. It's a cool way of navigating the land. What I don't like is that all the points of interest are given generic names that don't change once you've been to them. It's handy knowing where Ghost Pass is, but the map will only ever list it as a generic "Fort". This would be fine as well if you could write on the map or mark it in a way that was useful, but the only thing you can do to the map is place differently coloured shapes which isn't too helpful.

It's the kind of game that makes a lot of the struggle upfront, you suck, you have no skills, attacking can be clumsy, and enemies are so often in at least pairs that you're always at a significant disadvantage. Then you start finding good weapons and learning passive skills that circumvent the things designed to make you clumsy and things stop being much of an issue. So it kind of dulls a lot of the edge the game starts off with, which is good because I was strongly considering just quitting early on, though it makes for a game that's just sort of bland.

I admire the way the game handles magic though. Having to earn your mana by going through a trial and then needing to sacrifice a portion of health and stamina to convert to mana is something I appreciate way more than having it from the start. Magic isn't taken for granted here and you're not expected to use it, you're expected to commit to it if you want it, and I like that.

In terms of presentation what stood out to me was the music, every time I entered a new area I found myself surprised at how good the tunes were. In terms of environment I also liked the area around Conflux Mountain.

My favourite part of the game was encountering
the gold lich. I fought him, I beat him up, he says he can't be killed and will repair in a few weeks and his plans will commence. I retort with, well, I beat you up already, so I'll keep beating you up for as long as I live. He then takes that to consideration and calls off his plan for the remainder of my character's life and gives me weekly resource bribes because of the threat. I found that hilarious.

The main questline (I went Blue Chamber) ended abruptly and I had an entire armour set dumped on me which encumbered me to the point that I literally couldn't move and was told to screw off and do whatever I wanted now. Problem is I just didn't have the motivation to go post-game exploring and questing, I already had enough of the game's traversal. Anyways, I liked the game just fine, and I like what it was going for, but the execution left something to be desired.

The Outward Hero is one silver-tongued hero is what I learned lol

Also yah, I finished up the Heroic Kingdom yesterday and I dumped my backpack during the penultimate fight (self-explanitory) but then I chose "follow on the caravan" and there I was without my backpack in a strange city lol.

Just glorious jank and unforeseen consequences of a very active world you can only have a degree of influence over. I admire their courage and what the crew did accomplish with their game. I think i'ts a 3rd or 4th in GOTY running this year.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Asking again just because. Did they ever fix the PS4 textures that I'm pretty sure they acknowledged was a problem at or near launch, but hadn't yet fixed even months down the line?

DrDamn

Oct 27, 2017
Asking again just because. Did they ever fix the PS4 textures that I'm pretty sure they acknowledged was a problem at or near launch, but hadn't yet fixed even months down the line?

There was definitely a patch where PS4 textures were included in the notes as updated. How extensive that was I'm not sure, it was addressed to some extent though.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
There was definitely a patch where PS4 textures were included in the notes as updated. How extensive that was I'm not sure, it was addressed to some extent though.
Do you know if it was recent? A Reddit post from a month ago mentioned that the backpack textures on PS4 were better but that the rest of the game still looked like ass.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I plan on starting the game tomorrow. I know the game will be a bit clunky and I don't particularly enjoy certain mechanisms in games, so I already checked out some mods.
Nothing truly game altering so far, since I haven't played the game yet and don't know the ins and out.

I have these so far, any other recommendations?
38sS8xK.png

Oct 28, 2017
I plan on starting the game tomorrow. I know the game will be a bit clunky and I don't particularly enjoy certain mechanisms in games, so I already checked out some mods.
Nothing truly game altering so far, since I haven't played the game yet and don't know the ins and out.

I have these so far, any other recommendations?
38sS8xK.png
What are you using for mode for this? I never got into the game, but maybe some mods would help.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
What are you using for mode for this? I never got into the game, but maybe some mods would help.
I sadly aborted it as well after 8h or so. The game has some great aspects, but sadly also so many obtuse things, that it feels like it's actively trying to get in the way of "having fun".

Mods do can allviate some of those, tho, so do give them a shot. My biggest gripe lies with the progression system, which can't be fixed with mods directly.

The mod-manager needed is called "Partially" and most mods on nexus require it:

1. Download Partiality Launcher
  2. Unzip PartialityLauncher.zip & open PartialityLauncher.bat
  3. In Partiality Launcher click File, Open Game & find Outward.exe (normally C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Outward)
  4. Now you have a new folder called Mods where Outward.exe is
  5. (Optional) If the "APPID of the game" is empty, put 794260 (Outward's Steam AppID)
  6. Unzip Mod & put its .dll in the Mods folder
  7. In Partiality Launcher click Refresh Mod List
  8. Tick all mods you want to enable
  9. Click Apply Mods
  10. Done! Now play Outward

There aren't all that many mods on nexus. You can just comb through all of them and see what you want. Some are not up-to-date sadly, since the big patch last month.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Started playing this on PS4 PRO and I'm enjoying but man, this is the glitchiest game I have ever played. It's extremely frustrating. Constant crashes, just bugs everywhere.

I just want to play it. But it wont ket me enjoy it.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
New expansion announced for the game:
www.resetera.com

Outward DLC ‘The Soroboreans’ launches this spring

Outward downloadable content pack “The Soroboreans” will launch this spring, publisher Deep Silver and developer Nine Dots Studio announced. Here is an overview of the downloadable content, via Deep Silver: https://www.gematsu.com/2020/02/outward-dlc-the-soroboreans-launches-this-spring

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Anyone still enjoying this? I was interested as the thread came out, but I'm still waiting on a sale for Steam to check it out, potentially with a friend!

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Anyone still enjoying this? I was interested as the thread came out, but I'm still waiting on a sale for Steam to check it out, potentially with a friend!

It was a solid enough game when I played it last year. Definitely higher on ideas than execution at times, but probably worth a look if you want a unique and challenging RPG.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
But they finally fix the texture issues on PS4?
Don't think we ever got confirmation of that one way or the other... Thread's been so dead.
I should install this. One day.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
The Soroboreans DLC is out today, adds a new region, faction and seems to add quite a bit to existing areas of the world. Been checking out gameplay off and on through the day on Twitch, seems like a pretty nice addition.

You have battled your way through the landscape, dedicated yourself to your favourite faction and bounced back from defeat countless time. Allow yourself to be immersed in Aurai once again and see what's coming in the new, hard hitting DLC for OUTWARD, "The Soroboreans".

Filled to the brim with new content that will add a breath of fresh air to your game, "The Soroboreans" DLC will get you worried about a lot more than starving to death, dehydration, losing your backpack and… well everything else!

From New Skills, Enchantments, New weapon type (The Gauntlets) to terrifying Dungeons and blood thirsty creatures, you're going to be busy for a while in the world of Aurai!

• Corruption
    The level of corruption affects you in different ways and if you can't shake it you could meet an untimely end. The world just got a whole lot scarier!
  • Enchantments
    Weapons, trinkets and armors will now be able to be changed with the new enchanting system!
  • New Skill Trees and Status Effects
    2 new skill trees (The Hex Mage and The Speedster) and reality twisting status effects for your character! That can completely change your gameplay!
  • New Weapon Type (The Gauntlets)
    Deliver a flurry of punches to your enemies and put them firmly back in their place!
  • Dungeons
    Great rewards await those who venture forth within the depths of these deadly, mysterious and interconnected dungeons!

Last edited:

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Just grabbed this game from the Steam sale, as it seems like the exact kind of weird esoteric hard open RPG I love. Wish the DLC was on sale too because it seems like it adds some nice stuff, but I guess I'll save it for replays. Looking forward to getting more into it!

Oct 27, 2017
Bought the game. This initial hump is massive. I played for like 2 hours and didn't get far. Any tips to ease into it?

Edit: nvm, not really enjoying this so I uninstalled.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
It was posted on the Outward discord today that the expansion, The Three Brothers, has been slow to release on console due to it being developed alongside a new console update from a new developer. The update will aim to improve load time and texture quality on console. No date for either at the moment.

Nov 2, 2017
It was posted on the Outward discord today that the expansion, The Three Brothers, has been slow to release on console due to it being developed alongside a new console update from a new developer. The update will aim to improve load time and texture quality on console. No date for either at the moment.

Hell yes!! Very slowly playing through this game in co-op with my partner on the weekends, currently in Enmerkar forest. I really love the light survival elements, and the only downside I have is the hit the graphics take in split screen mode. Glad they're working on giving the console version more love.