• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Someone reference it to dark souls. That kind of turned me off from the game a bit, if true. I dont want anything dark souls or souls anything in my gameplay.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Someone reference it to dark souls. That kind of turned me off from the game a bit, if true. I dont want anything dark souls or souls anything in my gameplay.

Seems to me they drew inspiration from a lot of different games as well as having their own original ideas.

What specifically about dark souls don't you like?

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
The enhancements (beyond resolution) have been detailed for Pro/X.

- Resolutions (Xbox: 900p - XboxOneX: 4K - PS4: 1080p - PS4 Pro: 2K upscale to 4K)
- field of vision is enhanced
- grass intensity and distance for changing LOD is better
- quality of water is enhanced in dungeons (water reflects surrounding objets)

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any word on a review embargo for this game? We're only five days away from launch and haven't seen much more than previews. Looks promising - but this feels like the kind of game worth waiting on reviews for before buying.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
I randomly browsed OpenCritic for upcoming games and found this to look interesting. Watched the videos in the OP and damn... I need this. Even better this comes out so soon. :)

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Is there any word on a review embargo for this game? We're only five days away from launch and haven't seen much more than previews. Looks promising - but this feels like the kind of game worth waiting on reviews for before buying.
All we know is that reviews copies are already out there. But there's no info about the review embargo.

people

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't exactly excited for this, mostly because of "survival" and "could be more difficult than Dark Souls" in some of the preview videos/articles about this, but I was suprised to find copies of these in the wild and curious enough to pick one up for PS4.

European PS4 "Day One Edition" comes with voucher/code for "Pearlbird Pet" and "Fireworks Power" (pre-order* )DLC, which I believe is the same as the PC EGS pre-order. Retail price (local, it can be found cheaper) was €40 same as digital (pre-order*) on PSN

Initial install (from disc) size is 11.14 GB
Version 1.01 patch download size is 6.998 GB
Install size with 1.01 patch is 22.09 GB

Version 1.01 (PS4)
- Performance optimisations
- Higher resolution for both versions of console
- Enhanced post process effects
- Atmospheric fog added
- Enhanced LOD
- More enhancements for PlayStation 4 Pro
- Minor bug fixes

According to the back of the box "PlayStation® Plus Subscription Required" (in all CAPS, in fact)
c5QTS85.jpg

* I did not pre-order.

Last edited:

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
100% of my interest in this derives from the inclusion of coop.
Looking forward to hearing some impressions.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I wasn't exactly excited for this, mostly because of "survival" and "could be more difficult than Dark Souls" in some of the preview videos/articles about this, but I was suprised to find copies of these in the wild and curious enough to pick one up for PS4.

European PS4 "Day One Edition" comes with voucher/code for "Pearlbird Pet" and "Fireworks Power" (pre-order* )DLC, which I believe is the same as the PC EGS pre-order. Retail price (local, it can be found cheaper) was €40 same as digital (pre-order*) on PSN

Version 1.01 (PS4)

According to the back of the box "PlayStation® Plus Subscription Required" (in all CAPS, in fact)
c5QTS85.jpg

* I did not pre-order.
Yes, there's online and local co-op. I believe online would need PS Plus, just like how it works any other online game on PS4.

So I guess you're playing early? Looking forward to your impressions.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
New trailer focused on local co-op.

Thanks for sharing. I was a bit worried about no knowing exactly how local coop worked regarding saving progress.

Version 1.01 (PS4)

c5QTS85.jpg

* I did not pre-order.
Well of course you need to pay ps+ to play online, this is no f2p.

About the price, I'm getting the game for 30€ since I preordered it months ago on Amazon, but I think it was going for 35 now.

Also that patch sizes O_o

Last edited:

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm intrigued, but also wary. I'm definitely going to wait for more impressions.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
It comes out in *3 days* and I feel like I know nothing. The buzz around this is like the buzz around those random anime games you find out exist from seeing recommended games when you're buying something else on Amazon.

Doesn't mean it won't be good, just a bit astonished to see it considering this looks like a pretty ambitious RPG!

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I'm not crazy about is the survival mechanics. I'm hoping they're not so annoying I have to constantly be feeding and drinking. From what I remember hearing you can go a bit longer without drinking or eating just at reduced stats. But man botw found the right balance. Eating is for healing exclusively. There's no hunger meter.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
I've also seen it in a store yesterday but I didn't have time on the weekend to play so I decided to wait until actual impressions from people start to appear.
people pls. :)

people

Oct 27, 2017
Oh right. Didn't have too much contiguous time to actually play over the weekend. Also, keep in mind that I'm not a big fan of these kind of games, so I'm not too sure how useful my "impressions" could really be for those who are.
By these kind of games, I mean games with a heavy focus on survival. On the other hand, I do like exploration.

EDIT/INSERT for those interested in CO-OP: I have not played co-op, except for checking out the local co-op briefly, which seemed to work fine (on PS4). I was able to start a new game in local co-op from the beginning and trophies (if you're interested in that) are earned by both accounts, it seems. Other than that no co-op for me, at least not split-screen. That's a personal thing - and perhaps blasphemous to some - but I can't deal with split-screen on 16:9.

Having said that, I was expecting that 'survival' and 'exploration' would be heavily at odds with each other. What I found was that (so far) the (basic) survival elements (thirst, hunger, sleep) aren't that much of an issue as the inventory limitations/management.

What I knew about the game: Focus on survival and exploration in a hostile open world as a 'normal human'.
What I found so far: Focus on inventory management and crafting in a hostile world as a 'normal human'.

I haven't progressed very far into the story, but I'm the kind of person who either forgets or ignores the 'main quests' in open world games. (I never actually finished Oblivion/Fallout3 main quests)

About Survival: It isn't as bad/annoying as I thought it would be. It is however very 'gamey', but I suppose that's that how that goes. What I'm trying to say is, it is exactly why I never really cared about these kind of mechanics. However, being thirsty/hungry/sleepy/etc does have actual effects (e.g. stamina use) and aren't just meters for you to manage. I expect temperature management to require more preparation in terms of gear and consumables. Dealing with disease(s) is another peril, although I mostly contracted some 'by accident' or during combat. Eating or doing things without reading the description can lead to some nasty consequences. I cooked some berries, but didn't read about their poisonous nature and got indigestion. So, just like in the real world reading is a very important survival skill. I like it.

About Cooking: I usually like cooking in games, even in Star Ocean, and here I found a pretty typical RPG cooking system where you can 'learn' recipes or combine ingredients in a trial-and-error/common sense kind of way. So far cooking seems pretty straight-forward and (basic) ingredients are abundant enough. I haven't been to the desert area, so maybe that will drastically change. I also imagine that Alchemy (potions) could offer more efficient ways of providing (combat) buffs, although I literally only just bought an Alchemy kit (and I lack 1 ingredient to make the potion I need to make). Food will degrade over time, so keep an eye on that. Also, Salt is a very crucial ingredient, yet not as common you might think.

In stead of continuing topic by topic, which I doubt is very informative, let's talk about why I'm struggling to enjoy this game and why you may love it: Inventory Management (and Menu-ing)

About Inventory Management: To start, I don't mind limited inventory space/capacity to encourage making sensible decisions, or even establish some idea of 'realism' or 'immersion'. In this game you have 2 types of 'inventory' that you carry with you. You always carry a Pouch or 'Pocket' as it's called in menu's/descriptions and you can also equip backpacks of various types and capacity. Actually, your equipped armor and weapons do not count towards the capacity of either of these, but only while you have them equipped. This makes swapping weapons more cumbersome, also because there are no 'weapon sets' to easily switch between (be sure to setup and check your Quick-Slots)

One of the big things (that I knew about beforehand) is that you can and probably should unequip your backback before combat, because it could hinder you during, and pick it back up later. That works, but could be risky if you don't know what you're up against and may decide to run from battle. Also, it may not be so easy to find your way back to your pack in the dark (you can hang lanterns from most/some packs though, but not the earliest one you craft yourself). So that has been mostly a matter of getting used to, in particular retrieving the backpack first before looting to avoid overloading the pouch. Disciplined looting is another thing that I'm still trying to get to terms with. Hoarding is highly discouraged and very often I had to leave things that may have been useful, or 'valuable' behind. Again, this isn't bad and you can overload your bags to an extend at the cost of reduced speed and increased fatigue, but this ties into another aspect of the game as well: Economy.

To summarize this thought: "Everything is heavy and/or expensive to buy, but not worth a lot when selling". From an early game perspective the ability to earn money seems very limited, compared to the cost of things. Since carrying 'everything' back to a vendor is most likely not an option, this means leaving items behind, disassembling them or making multiple trips to retrieve them and to find out that wasn't worth the time and effort. This has not kept me from exploring, but it has kept me from making much 'progress', because basically everything related to improving your character costs money (trainers, recipes, gear). Since you gain no EXP from fighting, or anything, the only way to improve you stats is by paying trainers or buying/crafting better gear. So my thought was to bypass this economic conundrum and follow the main quest to a different area, to find that vendors would sell better items, albeit more expensive and enemies would be harder to deal with, of course. If you thought that I hate all this, you would be mostly wrong though. I've come to appreciate the struggle, but the 'survival' elements only play a small part in that. More than dealing with 'needs' and combat, the game's economics and inventory/menu managing seem the most daunting so far. Maybe that's the exact thing you are looking for though.

Not sure how the above counts as 'impressions', but that's my early take-away so far. Again, this is not from the perspective of someone who typically loves/plays these kind of games, so take it with a pinch of Salt. I wasn't planning on writing anything for that exact reason, I'm convinced impressions from someone more familiar would be far more useful.

Short note: I ran into some issues with the map not showing the correct background in some cases, e.g. showing the world map in town or the background for a different region. Also, I have seen some graphical issues and encountered a situation where after taking a break and continuing, items had disappeared from my bag. I had specifically prepared to travel to a different region, and lost travel rations and a tent (32silver, btw) among other things.

EDIT:
VRaHV3M.jpg

um9dRIG.jpg

Last edited:

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
Regarding THQ Nordic and their ties to Deep Silver/Koch Media, if I buy Outward digitally, I should be safe if I don't want to support THQ Nordic, right?

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who loved D:OS2, that combat trailer was kinda...eh.

I went in intrigued, and then it started talking about "an enemy's footing", and I was thinking that it would actually dynamically compare terrain, gravity, weight shifting, and the force of blows, but....no, it's just a stagger bar.

They talk about preparation, but "traps" and "poisons" are stuff we've been doing for years. It's fine, but historically quickly becomes pretty a) basic and b)inefficient. Nothing real special there.

The magic deconstruction was fun, but I wish they went further. The end application is "use item to make area which modifies basic skill", which is fun, but still a little itemized. It's not like a ton of games do a ton more, but it had started off pretty strong and I want to see what else the system can do.

The melee stuff they mention was extremely, extremely basic (A rage meter? So...like WoW circa 2004? I want to see a rage meter which gets built up based on how many things a player does wrong, aka, stuff that would actually engage them, but I digress). The rest of this portion was bog standard and the weakest part.

Overall, yeah. Eh. Better than most, but I can't say I was particularly impressed or saw anything new or dynamic.

Deleted member 10601

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The overworld looks so empty and "flat". How is the level design in dungeons? Is there some verticality to be found?

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
When does this unlock on Steam, the dumb EGS preorder deal is not letting them show it on the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.