• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Remember when people on the old forum shouted from the rooftops that this will kill Playstation and Xbox? Good times.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I remember when this was announced. I was working in gamedev at the time. People were seriously hyped and calling it a game changer. I almost backed it. Glad I saved myself $100 in the long run.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Tbh it's a bit of a shame the Ouya ended the way it did. They had the opportunity to make a really nifty indie machine.... but they obviously had some hurdles and bad decisions in the process. Still, I gotta give 'em props for actually managing to do something no one else was really attempting at that point and I get a feeling they're all doing something bigger and better at other companies now.
Julie Uhrmann is running Playboy's media strategy now iirc which is kinda nuts.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I got it for super cheap during launch week from a friend who felt super burned for obvious reasons. I played Mario Kart 64 on it that night using PS3 controllers and thought it was absurd. Pretty much never touched it again outside of using it to watch MKV files at a time where the other consoles usually had issues with them. I still keep it set next to my other consoles as a joke though, next to the Game.com.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I had no high expectations for it. The controller was usable. I don't remember buying or playing 1 single full game on it, and I sold it to some poor bastard that was super excited about it for months after launch.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
It was frustrating to witness how poorly OUYA was managed.

Between Towerfall, Bomb Squad, Hidden in Plain Sight, Duck Game, and Amazing Frog, good times were had. Until the Switch came along, it was my party console of choice.

Maldita Castilla, American Dream, Rose and Time - there were some single-player gems too (some exclusive or at least console exclusive too).

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I remember when they took over E3
24161.38459-Ouya-na-E3.jpg

dims

ouya_park.jpg
What is most upsetting is we trust them to maintain the law, but they need a third wheel on their segways

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Count me in with the crowd who found it surprising the Ouya store was still running.

I've never, ever wanted to buy one, or even play one of these but I guess I'll always be thankful that it existed since Duck Game started there.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Say what you will about the immediate failure of the system, but it did have some fun games. It was the birthplace of Towerfall and Duck Game, it had Bomb Squad, Hidden in Plain Sight, Gentlemen. It was a fun multiplayer box once you got non-shitty controllers. I really can't believe Bomb Squad hasn't been ported to a console yet, it was sooo much fun.

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
It outlived the Wii U virtual console

My bad, confused Wii Virtual Console with Wii U
Even if you mean Wii VC, that's not quite right either. Per Seafoam Gaming upthread, the payment servers were shut down long ago, so you already can't add new funds to buy anything. (For the record, this happened in January for Wii VC. No clue how the timeframes compare.)

This shutdown presumably means you won't be able to redownload anything...which Wii VC can still do, until further notice.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I still never got paid for the sales of LOVE on the Ouya store because while it sold around a hundred copies, that didn't meet the minimum payment threshold.

Good riddance.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Remember when people on the old forum shouted from the rooftops that this will kill Playstation and Xbox? Good times.

Was anyone actually thinking that.
It must have been sarcasm....Once the big 3 started supported Indie games there was no real reason to look at Ouya as anything beyond a bad idea.

Worse still that the console launched after the Tegra 4 came out....just sad times.

mullfuchs

Jan 29, 2019
I worked at a place that had one of these rotting in a corner, so I just liberated it one day. I hooked it up and the online service was still running so I downloaded a few demos. I think Void Pyramid was my favorite (you can get it other places too, it's a bizzare RPG)

I also talked to someone who tried making a game for the Ouya, they never shipped because the console was a piece of shit they couldn't get anything to run on.

Oct 28, 2017
Entertainment Tonight sent me one for free the Christmas it came out. I acutally used it for a few months upstairs to watch Netflix and some other stuff. I just so happen to find it yesterday while moving.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
Aight I didn't think about it since the Ouya was still somewhat worth talking about but Notch (and this isn't about his recent twitter antics) spending all that money backing the console and then releasing an inferior version of Minecraft on it felt really weird then and still feels really weird today.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I remember thinking the idea was cool but the execution to be uniformly terrible.

And having not seen the controller in years, just looking at pictures... woof that was a piece of shit. Watching that Crowbcat video where BTS video of the development process, really puts that 100+ mil Microsoft put into the R&D of the XBO controller into perspective.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I will continue to fight for the Ouya's meagre but entertaining library: Amazing Frog, Towerfall, Soul Fjord, No Brakes Valet, Duck Game, Hidden In Plain Sight, Bombsquad. There was enough decent stuff on the Ouya to have a fantastic multiplayer game night, and being able to use PS3 and Xbox controllers obviously helped.

There was also some morbid curiousity to be had of just downloading several things that were essentially just student projects, and poking around with them. My friend and I once spent an hour playing a super simple match pairs game with pictures of fruit, but it was set underwater, and everything was rendered with an absurd amount of detail. It was a time.

So yeah, the Ouya is not good, but I'd argue it's not the absolute unrelenting trashfire people make it out to have been.
I actually think the Ouya had the potential to fill a niche as a portable local multiplayer box, but it kinda fell off before all the classic multiplayer genres and hits got proper representation. And then the Switch came out and basically filled that niche by default.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I streamed Splinter Cell: Conviction and Arkham Asylum on it through an app for about 10 minutes each. Nothing I would play over time, but it was kind of neat. It was an okay XBMC/SPMC box, but it took too much tinkering to get it going.

Oct 30, 2017
I bought an Ouya at a garage sale for $5. My initial reaction was "I can't believe someone wasted their money designing and building this."

That was my same reaction after 10 hours of messing with it before I just threw it out.