• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to give to their kick starter because everyone was so hyped. I decided to hold off and wait till the thing officially launched because its hardware.

I think I would have bought the Xbox 360 arcade edition over that thing. And I am talking launch 360 arcade without the hard drive and a possible red ring of death.

b00

Oct 28, 2017
Damn I really wanted to get one but then my phone was due for an upgrade...

My hot take:

Ouya? Oh yeah..!

Wait what?........

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
I still can't believe the initial hype for this thing.

My Ouya is in its box somewhere, wasting space

RIP Ouya, you had the worst controller ever
It lives on in the form of third party Nintendo Switch controllers.

710Zxzo1q2L._SX679_.jpg

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
So yeah, the Ouya is not good, but I'd argue it's not the absolute unrelenting trashfire people make it out to have been.

Yeah. One of my buds had one. I still think it's an interesting alternative to other hobbyist devices like the Raspi or the Pico-8, and absolutely had its uses (and for the time it was on peoples' minds, had some very good stuff out on it), though I agree that there were some real issues with the actual build quality. I suppose that's part of the package of these low-run crowdfunded devices.

I think it's underappreciated, but that's because I like the small, weird stuff it had to play and I like open platforms. At least at the time, it was one of the better Android hardware devkit options, too, because it represented something close to standardization for it (and if there was one thing Android at the time was not, that would be standardized).

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was going to give to their kick starter because everyone was so hyped. I decided to hold off and wait till the thing officially launched because its hardware.

I think I would have bought the Xbox 360 arcade edition over that thing. And I am talking launch 360 arcade without the hard drive and a possible red ring of death.

Xbox 360 Arcade gets an unfair bad rap. The hard drive wasn't particularly useful until at least XBLA got off the ground and really not necessary until game installations became a thing, around the same time USB flash drive storage became an option.

DrLight66

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
The only time I even ran across the platform Ouya was when looking at Pier Solar's stretch goals which included Ouya. I still have no idea what Ouya even is lol.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
I don't think I ever saw it in stores here in my country. Did it have any exclusives worth playing?

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Had a good few evenings with my Ouya. Say what you will, but discovering games like Towerfall, Bomb Squad, Toto Temple, Duck Game and The Amazing Frog with friends as they released was a really good experience. I think my most played game ended up being the official port of Final Fantasy III it got. Played a lot of Broken Age on there too. It was a... weird environment. The original intent for all games to have demos and be priced relatively low was an uncomfortable position for developers (they even went back on the mandatory demo thing iirc), but it did engender an environment where a lot of small, bespoke things got made and you could affordably play them.

It was a neat thing. If it had managed to land a more widely appealing exclusive (because it's not as though Towerfall or Duck Game weren't excellent) they may have actually had something on their hands. $100 is a wildly low barrier of entry, and I think it's a shame that the lack of killer app sort of prevented it from getting off the ground.

Oh, and as one of the ten people who bought a Razer Forge TV to see what they were going to do with Ouya, I have to say that they made it an inferior experience by relegating it to being an app on a more bloated android box. Ouya was weird, but they had a much more clear vision than whatever Razer wanted to do.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
The device itself, the box, wasn't bad for what it was. It was small, sturdy, easy to develop for, could have been faster but wasn't super slow. I never found out why they didn't overclock it like they originally said they would, it had the active cooling fan so should have been able to run faster than the Tegra 3 tablets that used the same chip. Ouya should have been like the Oculus Quest, taking a mobile chip and pushing it to the edge.

Of course, there was more than just the box. The controllers sucked - aside from the design where buttons could get stuck under the faceplate, the launch controllers had a hardware bug making the analogue sticks crap, which gamers of course blamed games for having bad controls. Ouya fixed the problem a couple months later but made people buy more controllers if they wanted the fix. Even though the Ouya was delayed, the OS wasn't really ready until like a year after launch. The system's delay made it so there were like 1500 games at launch, and the OS had no easy way to sort through them.

The real problem with the device was the management of the company, their lack of communication, their strange idea that other game consoles didn't exist ("Finally, gaming on your TV, like when you were younger!")

But does it make a good emulator box though? Probably not.
These days there are better options, but it was a pretty good emulation box at the time. Also good for video streaming once they figured out how to enable the hardware features needed for it.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
so who actually made money off this

because it was always a crappy android box with no real hook

without bothering to look into it I guarantee somebody walked away with a shitload of ouyabux, there's just no way this wasn't some kind of grift

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
rumor

Verification from outside researchers that when the OUYA store goes down, nearly every purchased game will revert to demo/trial mode, having no way to cache credentials or switch to an "open" mode