• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Now imagine if Naughty Dog decided on making an open world game..... Woof that number would take quite the jump

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
What's equally impressive to me was what the resources were in service to:

A game about a gay protagonist that takes some major risks narratively and artistically.

Know sales are great, but Hope the alt-right shitbin backlash doesn't prompt Sony to ever get more conservative with their investments. It's pretty neat that Sony(unlike a some like Ubisoft) is willing to give developers such resources to take such risks with central franchises like this.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Nothing weird really, I think every major AAA games gets outsourced nowadays. There are just way too many assets that needs to be done and doing all of them in-house in US or Europe or Japan even can be prohibitively expensive.

That's why they get outsourced to outsourcing studios or support studios in (usually) Asian countries.

What's weird is not outsourcing lol.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
No wonder we're getting fewer big games than last gen. A lot of the talent is working on a handful of games.

Was worth it for part 2.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Know sales are great, but Hope the alt-right shitbin backlash doesn't prompt Sony to ever get more conservative with their investments.
It won't, don't worry. The game is breaking sales records, will win tons of awards, and will show other devs that being progressive can be a success too. They don't give a fuck about bigots on reddit whining about it.

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
That number is crazy when i think about how back in the day MS was saying that Halo 2 was built by a team of 100 ppl and that was considered huge at the time.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
What's equally impressive to me was what the resources were in service to:

A game about a gay protagonist that takes some major risks narratively and artistically.

Know sales are great, but Hope the alt-right shitbin backlash doesn't prompt Sony to ever get more conservative with their investments. It's pretty neat that Sony(unlike a some like Ubisoft) is willing to give developers such resources to take such risks with central franchises like this.

This. Ubisoft is massive and don't even risk a AC game without a male protagonist option.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
It won't, don't worry. The game is breaking sales records, will win tons of awards, and will show other devs that being progressive can be a success too. They don't guve a fuck about bigots on reddit whining about it.
Hope you're right, and not really just the alt-right shitheels, but just in general.

I know this was a proven franchise, but you just don't see many major corporations in media invest this type of money into what are not easily identifiably mass appealing stories. And I hope that doesn't wane.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Doesn't Ubisoft have like 10,000 devs work on ass creed or something

No, Ubi has 18k people across 40+ studios working on all brands and games. It is interesting to see that the number of studios involved in a project is often perceived negatively by gamers with Ubisoft's games, but that doesn't seem to be the case with other studios :)

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Expected.. is a technological marvel and a masterpiece of gaming.. is not all about quantity anyway.. you need the talent to make a thrilling story and to make everything feel grounded and real.

This game is above anything else we have seen in gaming.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Guerilla Games [and many other big studios] outsource a lot, they had few GDC talks about it. Modeling is also a seasonal work, it is not needed at every stage of the game production.

"Our core business is making games, not assets"

shadowfalloutsourcinge6kld.jpg

Great article about outsourcing for Horizon Zero Dawn https://theoutline.com/post/3087/outsourcing-blockbuster-video-games-made-in-china-horizon-zero-dawn?zd=1&zi=s4ib4eu3

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I hope this thread kills the implication that games with large workforces, (aka the vast majority of modern AAA games), are "soulless" productions on top of killing the "too many developers=unfocused game" brand of misinformed hot takes about game development. 😃

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Is outsourcing common or uncommon in games?
I have no idea how it usually works in this industry.

It is extremely common, and everyone does it for games of this level. There are art outsourcing companies in countries like China or Vietnam that do themselves have hundreds of employees that only provide support to AAA studios.

Weird that they outsourced it

If that is weird to you, then quite frankly you haven't been paying much attention to how video game development works.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I remember even a game like Flower in previous generation had lots of names in credits, let alone huge games of 2020.
Edit: 334 people (246 developers, 88 thanks) according to Mobygames.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah and it shows, the game is a masterpiece through and through and you can see all the work put in by every single one of these 2000 people. They can afford it with how huge the game is/ will be too. It'll be another game that flies past 10 million sales for Sony.

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
I'm used to hearing of teams of nearly 1000 staff, but twice that and a game that was in development for a while surprised me.
Outsourcing is normal now, but hope budgets don't balloon to unsustainable levels. Last of Us can afford it but mid budget games on next gen probably can't.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Polyphony were like the last AAA studio I could think of that didn't outsource, but thankfully they've even started doing it with Sport's additional content.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Fuck me, some of these figures are eye watering, checked Ghost Recon Breakpoint for jokes and 4834 people are credited on that game?! That's fucking nuts!

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
I'm used to hearing of teams of nearly 1000 staff, but twice that and a game that was in development for a while surprised me.
Outsourcing is normal now, but hope budgets don't balloon to unsustainable levels. Last of Us can afford it but mid budget games on next gen probably can't.
Reading the above article dieh@rd posted, it seems like there is definitely a shaky foundation here.

As a lot of this outsourcing seems to be a pipeline that allows studios to use low cost workers in countries like China to do a lot of the time consuming stuff like asset creation. Therefore keeping budgets down.

Which if things with China go south and/or there aren't any low cost alternatives(or the low cost alternatives start achieving better wages in their countries), it will be very difficult for this type of game to sustain itself I imagine. As if you take those 4000 people and pay them average US industry salaries, the numbers become eye popping.

OP
OP

Raigor

May 14, 2020
People seriously believed that a game like TLOU 2 or any other AAA title was developed exclusively by the developer?

I guess I opened some eyes with this thread

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
TLOU2 has a crazy level of assets, detail, and varied environments across 25-30 hours of game. Obviously there is outsourcing involved.

Powerwing

Nov 30, 2017
Outsourcing is pretty common in software development (games, finance, cars...pretty much any industry)
Big or small projects it doesn't matter, sometime you don't have the internal skill, sometime you need to temporary increase your work force...etc

Akela

Oct 28, 2017

Even for a seemingly "smaller" project like Spyro Reignited Trilogy, there was literally dozens of studios that had a hand in the making of the game. Toys for Bob might be the primary studio known for making the game and the one that gets top billing, but alongside them you had Airborn Studios, Sledgehammer Games, Beenox, Sanzaru Games, CounterPunch Studios, Forge Studios, Lakshya Digital...the list goes on. All responsible for important aspects of the game such as concept art, character design, environment art, animation etc.

There's a reason why the credits sequence is over 18 minutes:

Dec 25, 2018
very common, remember listening to an interview or podcast with someone who worked on Forza who talked about how the in-house modellers will run a QA and optimization pass on assets they receive from their outsourcing partners.
Character and weapon skins in games like Fortnite and Overwatch are usually outsourced (some studios have even done assets for both), given the quantity of those type of asset needed to be made for each update.