• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11995

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I'll say it again and again it, well done to the backwards compatibility team (and everyone involved with the whole initiative)! They all deserve nothing but praise.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
At the time of announcement, me: "Meh, they'll do a few games and then get bored of it. Like the OG Xbox BC on the 360."

Let's just say I've been eating a lot of crow since.

Oct 25, 2017
China
Afaik, FFXIII doesn't have a digital version anywhere, oddly.
Originally Games on Demand did not support muti-disc titles. The publisher had to make a new version of the game just to sell it digitally. Some publishers have gone back and made a version for Games on Demand now that those games are backwards compatible for XB1. I don't think SE really push for their disc based titles to be backwards compatible but their support of XBLA games has been good.

Oct 25, 2017
China
At the time of announcement, me: "Meh, they'll do a few games and then get bored of it. Like the OG Xbox BC on the 360."

Let's just say I've been eating a lot of crow since.
To be fair most of the OG Xbox games I wanted to play were made backwards compatible and Maybe the overall percentage of OG XB games on 360 is higher, comparing library size.

Edit:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_compatible_with_Xbox_360

The last update for Xbox 360 backwards compatibility in North America was on November 27, 2007, raising the total number of Xbox games compatible with the Xbox 360 to 461, which is approximately 51% of the original Xbox library in North America.

So still a long way to go to get over 50% of the 360 games library.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox has become the best ecosystem on console due to BC IMO. Seeing these old games not just work, but running with improvements and allowing people to use their discs going back to 2001 is incredibly consumer friendly.

Crossing my fingers the original Splinter Cell games will be added at some point.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
It's a damn shame compatibility will never be full though and that many of the best games will remain incompatible.
I wouldn't put it passed the WOM (Wizards of Microsoft) to come up with some brute force emulation technique that doesn't require the games to be repackaged for future xbox consoles. They'll have plenty of cpu power to play around with compared to these jaguar machines >.<.

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Dark1x can we expect a comparison of performance for Sonic Generations on Xbox 360, Xbox One and Xbox One X?

Too bad they did not add Sonic Unleashed, as well, considering it is based on the same engine as Generations and could really profit off a version where Jungle Joyride does not have framerate issues.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Good on Microsoft for providing such good backward compatibility. I hope Sony follows their lead in this regard in the future.

I agree, Microsoft deserves all the praise they're getting for this and Sony better not think they don't need an answer to this MS initiative with PS5 and no, PSNow doesn't count. Because BC might be the feature that tips the scale in favour of the Xbox Two for a lot of people when they take the jump into next gen. Especially if the new machines aren't too far away in the price and specs department and if MS gets their 1st party act sorted out till then.

Personally makes me want to buy a One X even more, for all those 360 games I missed last gen, but it's too expensive for me though ;(

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I bought a Xbox One S more or less because of this! Never owned a 360 (well, only for like a week before it RROD and I noped out again) and this is a fantastic way to revisit titles that never made it to PC.

• Catherine
  • Red Dead
  • Crazy Taxi (with the original OST?!)
  • Conker L&R
  • Rare Replay
  • Lost Odyssey
  • Blue Dragon
  • Shadow of the Damned
  • Best Version of Soul Calibur (II - even if it's not the best version of 2)
It's becoming a fantastic platform for me. Even if I'm only interested in a few XBO titles right now, it has earned a place in my heart for the best executed BC on concoles so far.
Hopefully there are some better 360 deals during the next few sales. And hopefully I'll be able to play Dead or Alive 3 and Burnout 3 soon too!

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
It's a great feature and the way they've managed to use it to pad the libraries of the Gold, EA Access and Game Pass programs is absolutely brilliant. It really adds value to the Xbox One and its services and puts it ahead of the competition in some regards. It's a damn shame compatibility will never be full though and that many of the best games will remain incompatible.

This is actually not true. The emulator is almost 100% compatible, but some games will not appear due to the original publishers not giving the green light.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's crazy. I use my PS3 this year more than my PS4 so please don't say backward compatibility doesn't matter.

Deleted member 16849

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BC is a legimate system seller to me. I immediatly bought a Xbox One as soon as it was annouced at E3 2015. I hate the argument from people "I buy a PS4 to play PS4 games" we need to get over the idea of console generations and burn out the idea that you need to keep your old consoles around to play the games you purchased. Also the Xbox One X enhancements are other behefits are just the icing on the cake.

Complete 180 from the Microsoft we saw in 2013.

Now give me Tales of Vesparia!

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017
This has me seriously considering grabbing a One S for the backwards compatability.

Due to the upgraded performance and visual fidelity it seems reminiscent of getting new hardware on a PC and then digging out an old game to see how it performs. Can i supersample it. Can i push all the effects. Can it run Crysis (couldn't resist).

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
The support has been absolutely incredible and I would have never thought that they would enable 4K on some of these games.

I have only these left on my wishlist:
  • Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
  • Spinter Cell: Blacklist
  • Need For Speed: Underground 1 and 2
  • Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)

PS: They need to get rid of the Xbox 360 Store. Make these games available on the Microsoft Store, so that it doesn't cause issues with purchases.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
This is incredible. I bought a copy of Ghost Recon Future Soldier and Sonic Transformed just so I could play them on my roommate's Xbox One. Now they just need to add Kingdom's of Amalur.

Compsiox

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft stays winning under the leadership of Lord Spencer. I can't wait to see what's in store for E3.

Pektus

Nov 24, 2017
some people actually whining about the numbers of BC games too low? or that the "insert random game" wasnt one of them. the fak. any number more than zero is plenty compared to fucking sony. the fact that MS is doing it FOR FREE is good enough to rejoice.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This has me seriously considering grabbing a One S for the backwards compatability.

Due to the upgraded performance and visual fidelity it seems reminiscent of getting new hardware on a PC and then digging out an old game to see how it performs. Can i supersample it. Can i push all the effects. Can it run Crysis (couldn't resist).
Those visual upgrades on 360 BC games you only get on the One X and only for those that get the Enhanced treatment.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair most of the OG Xbox games I wanted to play were made backwards compatible and Maybe the overall percentage of OG XB games on 360 is higher, comparing library size.

Edit:

The last update for Xbox 360 backwards compatibility in North America was on November 27, 2007, raising the total number of Xbox games compatible with the Xbox 360 to 461, which is approximately 51% of the original Xbox library in North America.

The problem with the 360's backwards compatibility was wildly inconsistent performance and accuracy. A lot of games ran worse than original hardware, and many "compatible" games had bugs ranging from annoying to serious. Hopefully MS work to bring as many games to XBO as possible, and also work on ensuring their emulation is as accurate as possible.

I'm curious whether they have any plans to bring these games to Windows. I think it's safe to assume they've considered it, but whether it actually happens is another thing. While CXBX and Xenia are making decent enough progress and will be the best way to play these games long, long term on PC, I think that an official Microsoft Xbox and Xbox 360 emulation layer on Windows would be very well received. Sure, it's not as good as a proper PC port with M+KB controls and such, but if MS said at E3, "Oh, BTW, you can now download Red Dead Redemption and Conker and all these other games and play them on your PC through the Microsoft Store", I reckon folks would go crazy.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
One day I'll buy a One X just for this, the console is a bit expensive right now but I can wait (the price already dropped off a 100+ euros in 6 months).

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually not true. The emulator is almost 100% compatible, but some games will not appear due to the original publishers not giving the green light.
Maybe I should have worded that differently but it's a shame many great games will not play on consumer consoles even if they are theoretically compatible with the emulator. The Xbox One will never play every single Xbox 360 and OG Xbox game.

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
But, ERA tells me that Phil Spencer only talks the talk.

What's amazing about BC is how well they run, how good the enhanced versions look, and the fact that it all comes for free. Incredible.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It really is incredible. I just wish their competitors would offer something similar, but sadly, neither of them do.

It's so incredibly impressive. I wish Sony had this kind of thing, PS3 BC is number one on my wishlist - I've eyed up a One X many times because of BC. It's their main draw for me.
Yeah, my problem with Xbox BC is that my backlog of games is on PS3, lol. I have something like 1500+ downloads on that thing. Sadly, I don't PS3 BC is possible, and honestly, even if it were possible in the future on more powerful hardware, I still doubt Sony would bother implementing it. I'd say our games are very much stranded there until whenever Sony decides to pull the plug on PSN for PS3, at which point they will just be gone, unfortunately.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See, this is a way to guarantee I stick to the ecosystem. My purchases from 10-15 years ago matter, as I can bring them forward to what is effectively the 3rd (or 4th, with the X) consecutive console, and it'll supposedly be this way come next-gen. Get on Game Pass, EA Access, buy games, get your Games With Gold titles from multiple generations of console. Whichever generation of console you are on, there is something you can play. And the X support on these games is insane: I urge anyone to check out how RDR, Gears 3, Mirror's Edge OG or Sonic Generations looks for a measure of what we're talking about here. Some of these backwards compatible games put 40$ remasters to shame, and you don't pay a single cent for them if you still own the games physically or digitally. You don't? You can still buy them at a low price.

Microsoft is absolutely killing it in terms of supporting their legacy and delivering a fantastic ecosystem. The Xbox One X is a beast, it boggles my mind that I can jump between playing Far Cry 5 in 4K and doing the same on 15 years old games. Look at the amount of votes the backwards compatible games get on Xbox.com. Look at the amount of posts in a couple hours in multiple threads over here. Check YouTube. This effectively gives old classics a new coat. Look at RDR - there is currently no way to play it in any way besides a low-res version. Now there is: native 4K on the Xbox One X, it looks better than ever, and it's a free update. The game can't even be played on other current-gen consoles or PC, but it's 4K on the X. Think about that. Microsoft is doing an incredible job, and my wallet will hate me a lot when these games start popping up.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
some people actually whining about the numbers of BC games too low? or that the "insert random game" wasnt one of them. the fak. any number more than zero is plenty compared to fucking sony. the fact that MS is doing it FOR FREE is good enough to rejoice.
Yeah, this. There's nothing to whine about here. Any number of games available is better than zero (unless we count remasters, I guess).

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Great feature and very consumer friendly.

It's the kind of feature that would me want to upgrade to a new gen as soon as it becomes available, when the games catalogue is still pretty weak.

And the consumer wont as quickly move to the competition if he can keep all his gaming catalogue.

Hopefully the PS5 will at least be BC with PS4.

Last edited:

RZetko

Oct 27, 2017
This is really impressive and I'm seriously considering purchasing Xbox One X because of backwards compatibility. Red Dead Redemption in native 4K pushes it hard for me.

LRB1983

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm going to buy one because of Conker, and with it some other few games.
I'm a sony fan but Microsoft is doing and awesome work. Great for them.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

It's a joke.

34316-clipboard02h7q6b.jpg

Edit:

But many/most of those had distracting emulation issues.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017
See, this is a way to guarantee I stick to the ecosystem. My purchases from 10-15 years ago matter [...] Microsoft is absolutely killing it in terms of supporting their legacy and delivering a fantastic ecosystem. [...] Microsoft is doing an incredible job, and my wallet will hate me a lot when these games start popping up.
I completely agree. Going this route is the best thing MS has ever done and a really impressive technical achievement.
It's value for everybody creating, selling and playing games.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I completely agree. Going this route is the best thing MS has ever done and a really impressive technical achievement.
It's value for everybody creating, selling and playing games.

When Microsoft implied they were done with generations, a lot of people thought they'd quit console gaming altogether, or just release upgrades on their previous systems a là X without exclusives anymore. I don't think that's what they meant. What they meant is whether you bought a disc at the first Xbox's launch, during Xbox 360's lenghty lifetime, or as a launch Xbox One title, the objective is to allow you to keep those games playable in whichever Xbox console you own. Let's look at this like this, let's say you bought Jade Empire when it launched 15 years ago or so. Have an Xbox Original? Play it. Have an Xbox 360? It plays it. Have an Xbox One? You can play it soon. Have an Xbox One X? You can play it with further enhancements. And this will all roll over to the next Xbox probably, so those 25 years old discs will literally still work as if they were new, with the games being updated to modern resolution and filtering standards.

Whenever I get a new PC or do a fresh reinstall, there are plenty of old games I inevitably install again despite all. Stuff like Worms Armageddon, Doom 2, Unreal Tournament 2004, Jazz Jackrabbit 2, etc. has to be on my PC at all times, because I will want to go back to those games from time to time. Microsoft is delivering fantastically on this concept on Xbox, with now 500+ enhanced (if not else in loading time and framerate) games from the past 17 years. We'll never get 100% backwards compatibility, but truth be told, a lot of old PC games don't work properly either or have to be used with some DOSBox messing around, compatibility mode, etc.. Again, being able to jump between a 2002 game and a 2018 game with the press of three buttons, both of them running in native 4K is something incredible.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I don't have a X1 but I loved my original XB and 360. Love what they are doing with bc.

Will probably buy an X1X down the line, if only for BC and Halo.