• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty impressive. Having current hardware that can play older games through BC is what i prefer. The less hardware i have to have connected to my TV, the better.

Neo-Saiyan

Oct 27, 2017
Birmingham, UK
5 years after that fateful E3 that had me completely turned my back on the Xbox brand, MS has finally won me over!

THIS, is a system seller for me, the Xbox One titles never really interested me but BC is a huge deal for me, it's the reason why I STILL have my Xbox 360 and PS3 connected to my tv, I never thought I'd bother getting an XBO but now I FUCKING NEED ONE!! I'd seriously lose my shit if they announced that the PGR and Rainbow Six games from OG Xbox were BC.

I'll probably get a One X for Xmas, (hopefully there'll be a price drop) and then I can finally retire the Xbox 360.

I hope Sony is taking note and somehow implement BC into the PS5 because as market leader right now, I doubt they even care about bring it on the PS4 so I won't be holding my breath for that feature.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
I was curious to know whether they are making 360 titles that have remasters on X1 backward compatible. Like GTA V and games like that. Have they done any of those yet, or do they just want people to buy the remasters?

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
BC is a legimate system seller to me. I immediatly bought a Xbox One as soon as it was annouced at E3 2015. I hate the argument from people "I buy a PS4 to play PS4 games" we need to get over the idea of console generations and burn out the idea that you need to keep your old consoles around to play the games you purchased. Also the Xbox One X enhancements are other behefits are just the icing on the cake.

Complete 180 from the Microsoft we saw in 2013.

Now give me Tales of Vesparia!
This argument (I buy a console X to play console X games) becomes even stranger when people relish games like Spelunky, Bastions, Super meat Boy etc releasing on said platform.

One thing from the previous launch message on xbone is very true even to this day: games are games are games. No matter how small or which platform they originally released, having them all on a single platform is a great thing.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
I was curious to know whether they are making 360 titles that have remasters on X1 backward compatible. Like GTA V and games like that. Have they done any of those yet, or do they just want people to buy the remasters?

They just did this last week (Call of Duty 4). So the answer is yes, they are making 360 titles that have remasters on X1 backward compatible.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It's up to the publishers. Some have made their titles BC before and after releasing a remaster. In other cases it's clear they focused on the remaster and didn't greenlit the game for BC.

Deleted member 11995

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland

They do it already. All the Halo titles that are in the MCC are coming soon. All the Gears titles are BC, and Gears 1 got a remaster. Rare titles like Kameo and Perfect Dark are BC, or you can play them in Rare Replay.

As for 3rd party stuff, a few Assassin's Creed titles are available both ways. Black Flag 360 was just added to BC, for example.

There are probably more. But yeah, apparently they don't just want people to buy the remaster.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It's crazy. I use my PS3 this year more than my PS4 so please don't say backward compatibility doesn't matter.
Yeah, but "those games, they look ancient! Why would anyone play those games?" , right?

Great feature and very consumer friendly.

It's the kind of feature that would me want to upgrade to a new gen as soon as it becomes available, when the games catalogue is still pretty weak.

And the consumer wont as quickly move to the competition if he can keep all his gaming catalogue.

Hopefully the PS5 will at least be BC with PS4.
Lots of people seem to think PS4 BC is a guarantee for various reasons, and I used to think so myself, but... Idk, the way things are going anymore, I don't think you can count on it being there at this rate. Not with Sony.

Last edited:

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
that's great but i just don't understand the appeal of last gen games this far into the gen. first 2 years of a new console,, a big yes but now? i dont get it . there are so many current gen games i need to play and enjoy that these games dont stand a chance .and most of them haven't aged well graphic wise and a 4k resolution doesn't solve the problem many times

Phonomezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Queen of Pop
uWy1o.gif

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
that's great but i just don't understand the appeal of last gen games this far into the gen. first 2 years of a new console,, a big yes but now? i dont get it . there are so many current gen games i need to play and enjoy that these games dont stand a chance .and most of them haven't aged well graphic wise and a 4k resolution doesn't solve the problem many times
A great game will forever stay a great game.

I don't agree with your statement at all as doesn't Microsoft. They see the continued strong engagement numbers from people actually playing these titles and thus they keep investing in it.

And allow me to add that some of those 4K enhancements make certain games looking better than some current-gen games. So yea, I think your view on that is factually wrong.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

To name a few reasons:
Playing one of your favorite old games let you feel young again and reminding you of your youth
Able to play your favorite last (last) gen game with a much cleaner image quality, more stable frame rate
Play a all time classic game on your current gen console you never played or finished on your last gen machine

About "didn't aged well":
Do you have played any of the enhanced BC games on a Xbox One X? It seems you have not, otherwise you wouldn't say such a thing.

Last edited:

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Maybe because graphics don't count for everything? Maybe because good gameplay, story, etc. is what matters most, and a good game is generally always a good game? Maybe because the great works of this medium (like Red Dead Redemption) are not cheap toys to be discarded for the next big thing, but rather masterpieces that deserve to endure and be available to new generations of gamers on modern hardware, rather than be relegated to obsolete platforms? Are great games not worth preserving? Is anything even a few years old just automatically crap? I don't understand your mindset (which is seemingly the mindset of most gamers) at all.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe because graphics don't count for everything? Maybe because good gameplay, story, etc. is what matters most, and a good game is generally always a good game? Maybe because the great works of this medium (like Red Dead Redemption) are not cheap toys to be discarded for the next big thing, but rather masterpieces that deserve to endure and be available to new generations of gamers on modern hardware, rather than be relegated to obsolete platforms? Are great games not worth preserving? Is anything even a few years old just automatically crap? I don't understand your mindset (which is seemingly the mindset of most gamers) at all.
my mind set is if i liked the game, i have already played it on last gen ,first 2 years of a new gen when there are not much games i will revisit them but after 5 years into gen when my backlog of current gen games are insane i dont have the time to revisit a game that i already loved and played and finished . point being that i do not have a single remaster of a game from last gen if i owned it land played it.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
my mind set is if i liked the game, i have already played it on last gen ,first 2 years of a new gen when there are not much games i will revisit them but after 5 years into gen when my backlog of current gen games are insane i dont have the time to revisit a game that i already loved and played and finished . point being that i do not have a single remaster of a game from last gen if i owned it land played it.
It sounds you are really not interested in BC or remasters. Why you are here?

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Uhm...some.people still haven't played some games from BC. I didn't play RDR until two summers ago...and some people still haven't. I haven't played Otogi but if that becomes BC, I'll definitely buy it to play as I heard good things. Yea, backlog will be backlogs but you can play a bad game now just as you could have in the past. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's good.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

It's been answered a few times already, but I'll add that these enhancements go beyond just increasing the frame rendering resolution. Taken together, they can make older games still look stunning.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
A great game will forever stay a great game.

I don't agree with your statement at all as doesn't Microsoft. They see the continued strong engagement numbers from people actually playing these titles and thus they keep investing in it.

And allow me to add that some of those 4K enhancements make certain games looking better than some current-gen games. So yea, I think your view on that is factually wrong.

agreed.

What MS is doing is preserve games that typically would be forgotten. It's really aspiring as preserving movies or whatever else. No matter if you like "old" games or not it's something everyone should support and rally for. It's amazing work.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, as you can see by many responses a lot of people like playing "old" games and like to revisit them. That's why people want VC on switch and are disappointed by what Sony is offering this gen. If it's not for you, that's not a problem at all :-)

Oct 30, 2017
Microsoft has been on a roll in their post-Mattrick days. I wish they could output some more firstparty titles, but everything else has been stellar. Xbox One is a legit system and I can not recommend it enough.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This goes well, well beyond BC, i dont think its fair to say BC to be honest, its enhanced compatibility as your playing better versions of older games. Theres nothing like this.

I know when Xbox Two comes around, all these games will be available in my digital library day one. And all of this.....is free.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Even if you're not interested in BC, can't you at least see the value of it? There are people who like to revisit older games, and they have the option to do so with BC. It also much more easily enables those who didn't play these games at the time of their release to play them on their current system. For instance, you yourself probably won't get around to playing all the games you want to this gen, right? Well, with BC you still play those games on you're next system, without having to hold on to an older system and hope it continues to work and/or be supported with online functionality.

You could say that those who want to revisit older games could just buy a remaster/remake, but the reality is very, very few games ever get such treatment. Case in point, Red Dead Redemption, which is widely regarded as a Classic of it's generation, has never been remastered or re-released. An older system has been the only way to play it up until it's release on X1 BC, and now it's in 4K on top of that, which is amazing. Relying on remaster s just isn't good enough for the purposes of long-term game preservation. So again, I don't see how anyone couldn't find some value in BC, even if only for others rather than themselves.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I have a mental backlog of games going back decades that I'd still like to play but never got the chance at release because of money/time/availability etc. The more that become easily accessible again the better. I play and enjoy games new and old and don't see either as inherently superior. Also there are games where there are little in the way of modern equivalents, so if I get the urge to play something like that I have to replay the classics.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's amazing and one great thing, I've played so many games I've overlooked or passed on because of BC and loved quite a few of them. Long may Xbox continue and bodes well for the future, new consoles.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
surely tales of vesperia soon. I purchased digitally years ago...waiting patiently. Will play through red dead again though.

microsoft have just been amazing with this stuff

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has been primarily an Xbox gamer since the first one through the current One, I am so happy that MS is preserving the ability to play their old games alongside their current games on the same system. I've got two boxes of old OG and 360 games in the basement that I'd never thought I'd play again. I look forward to the BC library growing to match my current collection, and it is helping to ensure that I stick with the Xbox platform for a long time.

Deleted member 4044

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Personal anecdote - I played a ton of 360 games but never touched Forza Horizon. I got it free with Games with Gold and decided to try it out since it was backwards compatible. Ended up loving it so much that I bought Forza Horizon 3 during the holiday sale that year. So an old game they gave away for free ended up getting them another sale of a brand new title.

I never played Red Dead Redemption last generation either and with this new update, I'm finally going to try it out. If I like it, I'll probably end up getting Red Dead 2 this fall.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Even if the games are shit, the fact that those games that I bought 10 years ago can be used today without having to pay for it again is a HUGE deal.

PensivePen

Oct 25, 2017
Backwards compatibility was my main reason for getting an Xbox One. They've done an amazing job with it, hope they keep it up.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Microsoft is doing their damndest to earn gamer confidence and trust back with stuff like this and Game Pass, and I have to hand it to them. As someone with a high end PC I still really have no reason to buy their console, but at least they are trying.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Even if the games are shit, the fact that those games that I bought 10 years ago can be used today without having to pay for it again is a HUGE deal.

Thankfully that's not anywhere near the case. 4k Crackdown (OG Xbox) and 4k Red Dead Redemption (360) are incredible (the two games I've most recently played). Like playing them again on my gaming PC.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thankfully that's not anywhere near the case. 4k Crackdown (OG Xbox) and 4k Red Dead Redemption (360) are incredible (the two games I've most recently played). Like playing them again on my gaming PC.

Yes, it was hyperbole for my part, when I had the one I played more with my 360 games than with the new games

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
I know I'll probably never see Virtua Tennis 3 or After Burner Climax due to licensing, but it's nice to dream

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and people wonder why I'm a MS fanboy. <3

my digital game collection just kepes growing randomly.

it's 2018, people, anybody arguing against BC is caping for Sony. theres literally no reason to be negative about digital preservation.

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
With the (ever)increasing number of X enhanced titles, does this raise the bar for what should be expected from BC?

As in, while many (most?) people expect the PS5 to have BC out of the gate, would you be content if they went with regular BC and had no enhancements/upgrades?

Personally for Xbox, if those games with dynamic resolution this gen don't run at a locked 4k through BC on the next gen system, I'll be disappointed

Jan 11, 2018
I'm super impressed with the job they're doing, although I wish they'd focus more on the OG Xbox exclusives first. Dead or Alive 3, Dead or Alive Ultimate, Gunvalkyrie and Jet Set Radio Future are on the top of my wish list. I guess we'll never see OutRun 2 or any of the other racing games for the system due to licensing issues though. If we take notable multi-plat titles into consideration I'd love to see SoulCalibur II being added.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
With the (ever)increasing number of X enhanced titles, does this raise the bar for what should be expected from BC?

I don't think we've ever seen such a robust BC feature, in any system. In that sense, the bar is raised without a doubt.

As in, while many (most?) people expect the PS5 to have BC out of the gate, would you be content if they went with regular BC and had no enhancements/upgrades

Being able to play the games period is a huge first step, so I think people would be happy with "just" being able to play the older games (especially if that included physical purchases).

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need to say it again- Microsoft deserves nothing but full credit for how well they've handled this initiative. Nothing short of exemplary.

This about sums things up for me! Microsoft is doing their part to preserve gaming history and it deserves to be recognized. As someone who regularly revisits old games, the Xbox One feels like a dream machine.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Finally sold my xbox 360 this weekend and upgraded to a One S. I've said it since launch: had they launched with backward compatibility, the console landscape would've been totally different. The only reason I even bought a PS4 was because Microsoft opened the door.

I remember the moment MS announced the Xbox one (when I assumed backward compatibility), I turned to my buddy and accepted that I'll never get to experience any Naughty Dog or David Cage games because even though the PS4 was more powerful, I felt more comfortable growing my MS ecosystem than starting something new.

Then MS announced that the Xbox one had zero backward compatibility....which was stopped all of my momentum.

Then totally killing the kinect initiative and all of their digital plans? That was game over.

I have to give them credit. They've come a long way.