• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Burnburn

Oct 26, 2017
So stop using it. It doesn't say anything about the game, it's not valid criticism, it only means that you can't stand that other people like something you don't. It lacks context, anything can be overrated to anything, it doesn't mean anything it's just slapped on everything as a quick insult. You're just meta complaining, a game can't help that people like it, it's not a game's fault that people like it. Use actual real things to say why you don't like a game.

Thank you for listening

Mhaz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to throw the terms 'generic' and 'uninspired' in here as well.

Most people that use them have no idea what they mean.

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering what it's actually saying is "everybody who likes this more than I do is wrong and my opinion is the correct amount of rated", I'd say less creatively bankrupt and more dumbshit 12 year old. But hey, what can you do.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Most people online don't get attention by being creative or having a measured responses.

Hot takes all day.

OP
OP
Burnburn

Burnburn

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, I agree that the word can be overused but it also can work if someone explains the basis behind it.

But I mean, you can also do this without attaching the word overrated to it you know. The basis behind it should be solid enough to not have to use a word like overrated which doesn't really say anything about the game itself, but rather about things around the game.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
I've stopped using it precisely because it's not good criticism and it accomplishes nothing in an actual discussion besides making fans of the game you're criticizing defensive. I hope it dies out like "epic" eventually did.

2+2=5

Oct 29, 2017
So if i simply say that a game is "bad" it's better?
You can replace "overrated" with "good", "bad" or whatever, no single word say anything about the game by itself, doing a crusade against a single word is meaningless. What you really want is people explaining their reasons.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Thank you, the word is pretty much useless if you wanna have at least some sort of discussion . But people will still use it , because its a cheap way to start something .

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Use actual real things to say why you don't like a game.
All you're really saying here ultimately is "don't give driveby takes," which I think everyone will agree with.

There's nothing wrong with labeling something "overrated," "generic," "uninspired," "overhyped" or whatever, so long as you actually put some thought and explanation into why you think it is that label.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to throw the terms 'generic' and 'uninspired' in here as well.

Most people that use them have no idea what they mean.

Yep, I think it comes back to the matter that people should at least articulate why they feel certain ways about a game. Just saying something is overrated adds nothing to the discussion except an admission that someone can't enjoy a game but they seemingly don't know why.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, its all relative. Its like a calling something good or bad. Overrated is just detailing that you think something that most people think is good is bad

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
Overrated/Underrated really just mean that you're an outlier. If the general population thinks X is a 9/10, but I think it's a 6/10, it just means that it didn't resonate with me. I would hesitate to use those terms, because most people usually conflate them with others being wrong for liking or disliking something.

Nikpls

Oct 25, 2017
Why articulate reasonable points if you can just dismiss the opinion of the majority that disagrees with you by drive-by posting a single word?

Oct 25, 2017
Unless youre talking about something like GTA IV which has a 98/100 on Metacritic for some god forsaken reason, yes. Overrated is usually a crutch word for displeasure to something popular instead of an actual explanation

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Hmmmm. It's easy to join the chorus of "you're so right!" cries here because it's true that, far more often than not, it's used to assert that one's personal experience is somehow more valid than the collective consensus. Then there's that rare instance where it really does suggest that, quite literally, the ratings a game got were dramatically skewed and would not hold given a real survey of opinions.

Witness the games / movies that miraculously get great ratings prior to release, but then tank after general availability when improper influence over ratings is no longer being exerted. What would you call games that fit into this category?

EDIT: and yes, GTA 4 was what I had in mind when writing the paragraph above.

Last edited:

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I usually just ignore people who use it as a criticism. It just comes across like you're annoyed that others like something you don't.

MaskedNdi

Oct 25, 2017
I think describing something as overrated is inherently narcissistic. You're standardizing your own opinion as the correct one and dismissing the opinions of others as wrong or misinformed. Beyond that, it's a drive-by critique that doesn't really say anything about why you dislike a game.

Instead of replacing the word overrated with another word like "bad," I'd prefer to see people providing detailed criticisms of the games they dislike.

Hmmmm. It's easy to join the chorus of "you're so right!" cries here because it's true that, far more often than not, it's used to assert that one's personal experience is somehow more valid than the collective consensus. Then there's than rare instance where it really does suggest that, quite literally, the ratings a game got were dramatically skewed and would not hold given a real survey of opinions.

Witness the games / movies that miraculous get great ratings prior to release, but then tank after general availability when improper influence over ratings is no longer being exerted. What would you call games that fit into this category?

EDIT: and yes, GTA 4 was what I had in mind when writing the paragraph above.

You could say that the critical consensus changed.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
What about "generic"

I understand that one more, it's a shortcut to saying: "There is nothing outstanding about this game. It's all stuff we've seen enough times by now, to the point where it's just dull and predictable. Devs probably only want some quick $."

To me this makes sense on a lot of browser and/or mobile games. But to say: "man The Last of Us Part II looks generic to me" does certainly sound like a big stretch and makes others, like you, start questioning what people mean when they use that word.