• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
cruise ships are a huge fucking problem and I bet if they were much more restricted overtourism would be far less of an issue.

Nov 7, 2017
Cities will probably now start restricting the amount of people that gather in tourist spots due to COVID which is way overdue

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think, at least for Millennials and younger, it won't be a problem when you account the trauma this lcokdown will cause, coupled with the depression that will follow.

OP
OP
gutter_trash

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
overtourism is bad for environment, bad for locals who live and work locally, bad for housing prices, bad for culture (erasing culture)

don't be a tourist! try to live like a local, respect locals

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I think the cruise ship industry is done for a while.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
I was talking with a few friends tonight about this (Facebook video chat, we are all responsible).
Things need to change but I doubt they will.
Covid-19 is here to stay for a while and it's likely that some virus will show up after that but people won't really change until the mortality rate gets to double digits.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
This is why I never got traveling. Woot, spend hours waiting to board a plan to get in line to take off to get in line to get off the plane to get in line to go to my destination to get in line to enter the place to get in line to walk around to line to....

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Though honestly first thing I'm doing after this is all over is going on a holiday overseas lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this whole thing destroys the cruise industry, for environmental reasons, and Air BnB, so I can maybe afford a house any little bit helps.

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes please.
Too many people want to travel the world without realizing the consequences. We need to to make international travel especially a hell of a lot more expensive than it is today.
And this is coming from a guy with family in 3 separate countries.

Mar 3, 2019
Overtourism is a problem sure, but tourism in general is healthy, and many countries economies depend on it. Travel also helps to break down preconceived notions of people outside your sphere of association, broadens your horizons, and helps keep our world global and connected

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We need to to make international travel especially a hell of a lot more expensive than it is today.
And this is coming from a guy with family in 3 separate countries.

Nah. It already costs me about $2000 return to visit my family once a year. And you want to make that more expensive?

Overtourism is a problem sure, but tourism in general is healthy, and many countries economies depend on it. Travel also helps to break down preconceived notions of people outside your sphere of association, broadens your horizons, and helps keep our world global and connected

Yeah. This is where I'm at.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Overcrowding at Disney parks was always a problem too. Wonder how it would be if they only sold limited tickets per day and you have to buy months in advance. Also get rid of the annual passes.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I️ agree with the economy but for sure. Worried what's going to happen to those areas...

second part is a bit eh. People who need their ideas changed aren't traveling there in the first place

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
But how do you propose you control this? I feel like people would go right back to doing it again.

You could try setting limits of sorts I guess. But certain areas depend on the income from tourism. Ideally, people would try out other places rather than just the latest IG hot spot or somewhere a vlogger went...

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017

Plus travel is good for your mental health, especially when you have kids that you can leave with the grandparents for a few days. That's exactly what I'm doing once it's safe to travel again.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I think the cruise ship industry is done for a while.

Let's hope so. Those things are horrible for the environment.

Let's be real here, the people doing most of the travel are the wealthy who are being waited on by poor people who are forced to work awful seasonal jobs instead of the governments of the world working to provide a path to the middle class.

I'm not saying all tourism is bad, but we can do away with resorts and cruise ships.

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
cruise ships are a huge fucking problem and I bet if they were much more restricted overtourism would be far less of an issue.

The cruise industry is dead after this. Especially if this will take a year to 18 months to recover from. That and I think a few other industries won't survive.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Overcrowding at Disney parks was always a problem too. Wonder how it would be if they only sold limited tickets per day and you have to buy months in advance. Also get rid of the annual passes.
I was planning to visit Disneyland before the outbreak started and I'm honestly wondering if they'll implement some of these changes when they finally do reopen.

Limit daily attendance, 6ft of distance in lines, or require the fastpass to book ride slots ahead of time for everyone.
Maybe even limit out-of-state/country attendance, like limiting Disneyland attendance to the left half of US and Disneyworld to the right half.

Beach resorts specifically buy stolen sand from developing countries which destroys those countries's beaches. None of those white sand beach resorts had that sand when they were built. It's all stolen.
That would seem to be a specific practice that you object to (and applying only to "white sand beach resorts", anyway), not the resort in general. And there are quite a few resorts in developing countries.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I seriously can not comprehend it.
How does anyone manage to hold a full-time job and take 30+ vacations a year?

Well, I guess I'll never understand anything, since I'm lucky to take one vacation every 10 years.
They had rich parents or very careful with money otherwise. I️ do decently but even driving to a city for a week was a once a year thing for me

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is why I never got traveling. Woot, spend hours waiting to board a plan to get in line to take off to get in line to get off the plane to get in line to go to my destination to get in line to enter the place to get in line to walk around to line to....

You are doing travel wrong. Except for waiting for a little bit at the airport and then have to fly a few hours I don't really need to wait afterwards. Also no problem having to wait when I can experience different cultures.

I seriously can not comprehend it.
How does anyone manage to hold a full-time job and take 30+ vacations a year?

Well, I guess I'll never understand anything, since I'm lucky to take one vacation every 10 years.

Those people that do 30+ vacations are rich and don't really work or your comment is blown up a bit. 2-3 vacations a year is possible for most people living in Europe. Unlike the US most of us get 20-45 paid vacation days a year and traveling doesn't have to be expensive at all.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I always feel bad for people who choose to visit nyc. I mean cmon. nyc?! it's tall buildings, piss smell, and slow subways. Go visit Maine or Washington.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Will be interesting to watch for sure. Most countries probably want to fire up their tourism related economy asap, but maybe this all acts as sorts of a semi-reboot.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hm, I like traveling and think people should have the freedom to travel, but I agree it can get out of hand, at the same time I'm not comfortable with gating it along economic lines. Unrestrained tourism is probably not sustainable though. In the past only the wealthy toured regularly so there was a built in dampening effect because most people were too poor to travel. Now, with developing countries rapidly growing their middle-class/upper-middle class (the ideal economic range for tourists), historically popular destinations are getting more traffic than they were ever meant to handle and warping the local environment. I'd say Venice is one of the world's oldest "victims" of overtourism and the lull of the regular mobs of tourists has restored some of its historical beauty, ironically one of the reasons it is one of the most historically popular destinations in the world.

www.theguardian.com

'Nature is taking back Venice': wildlife returns to tourist-free city

With the cruise ships gone and the souvenir stalls closed, the coronavirus lockdown has transformed La Serenissima’s waterways
"The water is blue and clear," said Gloria Beggiato, who owns the celebrated Metropole Hotel a few steps from St Mark's square and has a view over the Venice lagoon. "It is calm like a pond, because there are no more waves caused by motorised boats transporting day-tripper tourists. And of course, the giant cruise ships have disappeared."

The economic damage to Venice is probably immense but the environmental restoration also shows a remarkable glimpse into a "what if?" alternate history.

Maybe a tourism lottery but that has its own problems.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I think tourism in general is ok and it supports a lot of jobs, hence why countries are constantly trying to market themselves as holiday destinations. But it can also get out of hand and there needs to be more limits to the number of tourists allowed at a destination at any given time.

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left
The rich do more harm on a per person basis so we should collectively help them do "the right thing" and severely limit their travel to a tiny, tiny grassy plot of land.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
I used to believe that...

But, after seeing sssooooooooo many White tourists' shitty behaivour all over Asia (begpacking, behaving like entitled assholes, total lack of respect, etc.) I am not so sure anymore...

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
This really, really isn't hard. All the handwringing is absurd. Sell permits to the highest bidder. Only sell as many permits as your location can handle. Use the money to improve your infrastructure and protect your environment/tourist attractions. If you don't only want rich assholes, give a subset of permits by lottery. Hawaii is already issuing permits: https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/...-kawakami-orders-eateries-only-offer-takeout/

What annoys me is these stories always interview the locals about how bad tourism is. Yet their elected officials are the ones who allow it.

Oct 25, 2017
overtourism is bad for environment, bad for locals who live and work locally, bad for housing prices, bad for culture (erasing culture)

don't be a tourist! try to live like a local, respect locals
To be honest, I think locals prefer when tourists behave more like tourists. Take me. I go to Hawaii and rent a condo. I buy food at a grocery store so that I can make most of my meals at home. I surf, go hiking, etc. -- activities that don't cost any money. Basically, I show up and live how a local would when they are on vacation and in doing so I contribute to the housing mess they have and barely give back to the local economy.

In contrast, the typical tourist who checks into a hotel, eats out exclusively, pays for guided hikes, surfing lessons, fishing trips, etc. contributes way more to the local economy than I do. The standard tourist probably stands out more... but if they're a bit obnoxious, it's probably worth it because at least they're spending money.