• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Last weekend there was an uproar over a 24 hour ban of a top 500 streamer seemingly only because he was playing too much Torbjorn. Blizzard's community manager released a statement that basically said they were still undecided on if that sort of play deserves a ban.

Today, another popular top 500 streamer was banned for 24 hours for "Disruptive Gameplay", basically meaning he was playing too much Symmetra.

https://twitter.com/UhOh_Stevo/status/931567861629440002/

It seems like they are serious about cracking down on these types of players. It's only 24 hours now as a warning, but further bans will increase the ban time up to a permanent competitive mode ban.

Edit: To be clear, this has nothing to do with the random torb player that was banned for AFKing and then went to reddit to lie and whine about it.

Edit 2: It's worth pointing out that Stevo is not as much of an angel as Feuy500 who was banned last week. He's been banned for a bronze to GM stream, and can be a little trollish in his responses to people that get upset by his hero choice. However, the reason given and timing of it makes it sound like it's for hero choice.

His last stream when he gets banned is here, I haven't seen anything toxic but I'll keep looking: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/202060775

If nothing else, I hope blizzard can just clear things up and make a definitive statement about it one way or the other.

Last edited:

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
When Blizzard's CM tells you not to share private DMs, you probably shouldn't share private DMs.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
If they want to stop that, the just make the whole character selection random

But then you would have people whine and rage quit when they don't get the character they want

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Does this dude still shit on everyone else on his team when they lose? I know he gets a lot of hate for literally playing no one but Symmetra but his counter-salt on stream when losing was funny to watch.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if you'e putting in the work and getting shit done as only one character, you shouldn't get banned for it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
That's incredibly stupid and completely antithetical to the gameplay model AND the monetization model of investing for the sake of the hero you're attached to.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
This is why i avoid that kind of games where company wants to dictate how you play. They payed for the game sthey should be allowed to play the way they want as long as they dont use cheats and are not offending.

Oct 25, 2017
Still bullshit when the person is winning their games, and is clearly not as big a detriment to their team as Blizzard thinks.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
The Torbjorn player was throwing when he couldn't play Torb. Hard to believe these ban complaints when every time it's always something they fail to mention that got them banned.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
...Why shouldn't you be able to play as whoever you want? I haven't really played OW, but I don't remember, say, TF2 having this problem.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
If you are playing competitive and not trying to counter-pick, you're not playing competitively and should just play in quick play. No one will ban you for picking one hero there so have fun. Competitive is competitive, you don't fuck around and let your team down.

Jarsonot

Oct 27, 2017
Can't they just lock out the character after too many successive games with him/her?

Seems odd. Go ahead and pick her again, your choice, do whatever you want... but we'll ban you for it.

If they don't want you doing that, why is it possible to do that??

Ever

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is dumb. Let people play what they want to play, as long as they're making an honest effort to win the game.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the Torbjorn thing was not true, and that he got banned for actually griefing instead?

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has been stuck playing with this particular player, that winrate is deceptive and his play is definitely disruptive.

Super glad this is finally in place, so tired of having to play around people committed to a gimmick in the competitive ladder or be stuck in an effectively unwinnable game from the outset.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohhhhhhh so they are going through with this huh?

giphy.gif

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Competitive Overwatch was a mistake.

I didn't even know maining a character in comp was a bannable offense.

OP
OP
Luminish

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
The Torbjorn player was throwing when he couldn't play Torb. Hard to believe these ban complaints when every time it's always something they fail to mention that got them banned.
That was a different incident by a guy who was not a streamer. This Torb was Fuey500, a streamer who's never toxic, unless you consider his hero selection toxic. And now it's Stevo as a symetra main, who has been banned for smurffing before, and can be trollish at times, but the reason given and timing of it makes it clear it's about hero selection.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm guessing they are paying too much attention to user reports?

I've not played lots of overwatch but I have observed that everyone blames everyone all the time.
Whether or not your team is winning

Deft Beck

Oct 26, 2017
Space
This makes absolutely no sense. It's like Nintendo banning people for "ganging up" on one player in Smash online play.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
This person is winning 63% of their comp games. I think it's safe to say they're playing the game competatively.
The percentage doesn't matter, there were still some games which they lost because of not picking something else. You win 63% with one hero, awesome, but in competitive you must try and win other 37% not just bash your head against the wall mindlessly.

All the people in this thread saying it's unfair don't understand the difference between ranked and all other (numerous) modes in OW. People tryhard competitive (meaning play good comps and counterpick) and have fun elsewhere (meaning play whatever you want).

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
pathetic action Blizzard, I really hope there will be a big outrage over this like the EA situation but I doubt that will happen.

Edit: and there you go, people are defending them, it seems like the fanbase is even as bad.

Last edited:

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There's a half arguement here in that Overwatch is a game built around team compositions and counters, if for example the opponents Pharah is tearing through your team, maybe your Reaper isn't the wisest of decisions and a Soldier 76 would work better.

But then again this is still on the stupid end of things, some people may favour to one hero more than any of the others and can't play the others well. Let people play how they want to play.

Chuchubabe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In league of legends its called troll picks, you go to a match and if you dont play the role you get and pick a champion that is completely terrible at support for examle you can report it. You are affecting other people games and chances to win.

I dont know about overwatch cause i never played it.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Maybe Blizzard should fix the character selection process instead of just banning people for sticking with one character.

Hell, just put a vote option in. 4 votes from team members and you're forced to pick a new character.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
"After analysis of the evidence, we have Suspended your Overwatch account."

Wait. Does that mean that they banned him from the game entirely, instead of just the competitive mode? If so that's absolutely ridiculous.

Blizzard can come up with silly rules for competitive play all they want but none of that should apply outside of that. If you have to ban people from the entire game because of their style of play (excluding hacking or taking advantage of exploits/glitches) then there's something fundamentally wrong with the game itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.