• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
I was nervous about 2-2-2, but I like everything about how they're implementing it. I can play old quickplay and get arcade wins while doing it now. Awesome.

Also I like these hero changes. Brigitte self healing reduced, Orisa shield cooldown increase, storm arrow nerf, and hamster boi buffs.

OP
OP
Solidsnakejej

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Reinhardt mains thank you, Blizzard.

forgot this part

Slowing Effects: Instead of stacking together, friendly and enemy slowing effects are now separate and movement speed will be reduced by whichever is slower.

Developer Comment: Ultimates are coming up too often considering how high impact they are. We are reducing how quickly they are built so less fights will be determined by ultimate usage. The slows change will mostly impact heroes which can slow themselves, such as Widowmaker while scoping, or Reinhardt while holding his shield. In these cases, enemy slows such as Symmetra turrets or Mei's freeze will not hinder these heroes unless they stop slowing themselves or the enemy slow value passes their own slow value.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not a fan at all. Taking an extreme to deal with a single meta change is overkill. Not to mention that right now outside top level play the balance of the game is in a pretty good spot where numerous compositions can be played that arent railroaded into 2-2-2.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Jeff is a GOD and this is everything I wanted. People screwing around FoR pRaCtiCe in qp bring those bad learned habits into comp and ruin comp games. Bring the two into parity and the shitters go elsewhere or adapt, and now they have an outlet for that: QP classic!

Looks like I'm sticking around!

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I don't see the quickplay change lasting- that seems like a bridge too far for the casual mode.

There's always arcade for those who don't like it. No one will completely have the door closed on them because of this change.

Honestly, MMR based on role is very interesting to me. I expect the next 3 months are going to be all balance tweeking to keep characters viable.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Needs to be permanent and not a rotating mode. Also classic will 100% be all dps because people will be sick of queue times in other modes. Where now QP was just mostly dps but you still got people playing other stuff

I'm sure it will be just like Mystery Heroes is outside of events.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan at all. Taking an extreme to deal with a single meta change is overkill. Not to mention that right now outside top level play the balance of the game is in a pretty good spot where numerous compositions can be played that arent railroaded into 2-2-2.

This isn't merely a response to GOATS. They're trying to solve various other matchmaking issues. They've been working on this for a year.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's always arcade for those who don't like it. No one will completely have the door closed on them because of this change.

Honestly, MMR based on role is very interesting to me. I expect the next 3 months are going to be all balance tweeking to keep characters viable.
The problem is that QP is supposed to be just that- Quick Play, and high DPS queues are a very real side effect of this change that would massively derail that aspect of it. I don't think the competitive and QP audiences are the same in their expectations.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Surprised Jeff didn't straight up end the video with "we're also be renaming this game to Overwatch 2 and it'll be a free update".

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
This is a huge huge huge patch. They're pretty much addressing everything I posted concern about the need for certain character reworks.

JayDee

Oct 28, 2017
Infinite duration on Sym's teleport is gonna be pretty good. It'll be useful to ferry teammates from spawn if needed. It's not the farthest distance but 30m ain't bad.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Quickplay Classic is a permanent arcade thing?

Thank God, that means you can now play actual Overwatch to get weekly boxes, no more minigames or rolling the dice on purposefully unbalanced Mystery Heroes and reading people saying "lol if you want it balanced then do Workshop" when the MH experience itself wasn't the point.

ItsTheShoes

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunate quickplay classic will be shuffled off to the arcade screen. I like the idea of Role locks however it's going to be tough since the stigma around quickplay is to "learn" characters" and that's why there are so many terrible snipers and genjis floating around, so It'll suck if I can't switch to fix someone else's lack of skill.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So you get a loot box if you queue for a role that's in demand (Ex: Support).

image0.png

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
I will be back doing Comp, yay. Although probably just for Support and Tank roles, my main DPS is Sym followed by Mei I believe (based on them belonging to the defunct Defense role - which I always thought as Sym's real role). Locking in DPS and then showing up as either of them in a match will most likely earn me a bunch of reports even though I would be doing it in good faith.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for my 0 second tank role queues in quick play. Guaranteed not to end up on a 1-1-4 or 1-0-5 team comp.
Agreed, but with support. Now guaranteed to have another healer with me instead of being yelled at cause I can't heal all five other people at once lol (well, unless I'm ulting lol)

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
That's a fair amount of balance changes this go around.

I'm surprised quick play is getting the 2-2-2 treatment but I guess if the classic mode of me as a tank or healer trying to back up a team of hanzo, widow, genji, McCree and Ashe is now an arcade staple then it's not a bad move.

SR for each role is neat since my damage/DPS class skills lags behind the other two roles massively for me.
While this all sounds solid to me, if they're expecting this to fight off toxicity (they probably aren't tbh) then it's likely just going to shift to getting shit for not choosing the optimal support/tank/damage.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This isn't merely a response to GOATS. They're trying to solve various other matchmaking issues. They've been working on this for a year.
This is the wrong choice. Ultimate nerf would suffice and is quite a big nerf. Regarding matchmaking issues, its not that running 3 dps couldnt work, its that it requires people on dps to be able to play their characters well enough to make it work. Forcing two bad players into a dps slot before the game even starts isnt going to address that problem. So I guess what issues were they trying to solve then by making a forced 2-2-2 meta, if not for their inability to coral the goats meta?

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe they're actually getting rid of SR decay. It was ridiculously stressful for me, it was basically the reason I stopped playing Competitive, because I just didn't want to have to worry about keeping up a minimum amount of matches per week to not drop to Diamond.

It was at the point where I was setting Alarms on my cell phone to remind me when the SR decay timer was about to expire. It was stupid. This patch is like 90% of what I've been asking for since 2016.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I will be back doing Comp, yay. Although probably just for Support and Tank roles, my main DPS is Sym followed by Mei I believe (based on them belonging to the defunct Defense role - which I always thought as Sym's real role). Locking in DPS and then showing up as either of them in a match will most likely earn me a bunch of reports even though I would be doing it in good faith.

Good news. Symm got buffs.

ChaosZeroX

Oct 26, 2017
What the hell is GOATS? I've been out of Overwatch for a bit now and obviously don't watch Overwatch league.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of role queue? Trying to get people to play a role to get a loot box?

That's how it works for MOBAs, reward the thing that's needed immediately.

This 2 2 2 system isn't being made so you can just play one type of character all the time, it's to ensure that more games get a wider spread of roles considered to be necessary. I play tank a lot, but if I can get a box playing support, something I also like doing, I will.

As long as this stays out of quickplay I'll be happy.

You will have quick play classic in arcade.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of role queue? Trying to get people to play a role to get a loot box?
I think having separate skill ratings for each role prevents it from being a problem. You won't be dragging your team down by queueing for the role you don't normally play just for the loot box.