• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KLoWn

Oct 27, 2017
There is a white guy in Talon:

wrobo.png
Was there a white Joker-type dude in the comic where they've gotten Doomfist out of Prison? He looked sick.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Symmetra works for a corrupt mega corporation involved in a lot of shady stuff, like taking over and razing poor neighborhoods in poor countries via illegal methods to "improve them."

Lucio and Symmetra hate each other because her corporation, Vishkar, tried to take over Lucio's old favela to demolish and gentrify it, and he lead a populist backlash to drive them out.
Huh, TIL, thanks. I need to read up on lore I guess.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
The game started with 2 concrete villains, Reaper and Windowmaker. 2 villains out of over a dozen heroes. It was unbalanced from the start. So to fix that, they've made most of the DLC characters villains. Most of those DLC characters have been minorities. This is a GOOD thing.

Is OP really saying we need more white villains? I'm happy with diversity in my game, thanks.

Oct 27, 2017
I can understand having nothing but minority villains is a bad look, but it's much more so in games where you play a white savior mowing down minorities, not a shooter with no real story presented in game.

Overwatch is one of the more diverse games around on so many levels and handles it well for the most part. I don't think that because there are villains that are minorities that minorities are vilified. Trying to fill racial quotas here doesn't seem helpful, especially when generic white guys are already so heavily represented everywhere.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
All of Overwatches hero's are considered villains according to the government.

ascii

Jan 5, 2018
Why do you assume being a villian is a negative? Personally I find the think villian / anti-heroes far more interesting.

The way you're viewing this is the problem, not the game itself, it has a really diverse cast of characters.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Sorry but your title doesn't make sense if I read the thread correctly.

You are disappointed with the lack of diversity in the villains, but you want more male white villains???

Isn't that the opposite of what so many people have asking? Besides, Overwatch has been hailed for trying to be more diverse than other games hasn't it?

Mizavari

Jan 19, 2018
I mean, sure, if you ignore that Ana(Egyptian) and Gabriel/Reaper(Hispanic) were Members of the Core Overwatch team back in the day, with Overwatch's origins still being kind of a mess.

OT: The Villain list for Overwatch is as follows for me:
Moira
Doomfist
Reaper
Widowmaker
Sombra
Symmetra
Junkrat
Roadhog

That's what, 2 Caucasian Characters(Moira and Trashmouse), 2 Hispanics(Sombra/Reaper), 1 Indian(Symmetra), 1 Maori(Roadhog),
1 African, and 1.. whatever the hell you can classify Widowmaker as.

(I'm assuming Hog is Maori because of his skins indicating such)

That's not exactly a diversity issue on the Villain side as much as the "Heroes" having abnormally high "Whiteness" compared to the rest.
Well, if you put it that way:
- unstable environments are more likely to produce unstable shady people, who are then perhaps more susceptible to joining a large (evil) organization that'd give them means to do whatever
- good people from poor backgrounds are more likely to stay in their own countries, solving their own country's issues
- good people from developed countries are more likely to go overseas to help out (because their home country doesn't need help)
- and shady people from developed countries are uh... well there Are two Caucasians among the villains

I mean, it's something I've observed from China. A lot of Chinese don't understand why the heck people would expect them to, for example, donate for poor children in Africa, because they think there are plenty of poor people in China. I forgot if it was Bill Gates or who else who once tried to come to China to convince rich Chinese to donate, and the rich Chinese were even afraid to show up. It's not that they Won't donate though, they just do so at home. A rich Chinese person's idea of donating is paying to build roads, schools or housing projects in poor Chinese provinces (with priority to their home area). I imagine it's the same for India for example. Why would an Indian go out of their way to help Americans or Europeans instead of poor Indians?

Kwasimoto

Jan 16, 2018
It hints that so many of the characters are gay or trans without confirming anything.
Take Roadhog and Junk Rat for example. Theres been so much teasing in the comics and even in skins for the game (Hog's christmas skin gun is a gift from Junkrat) that point to these two being a couple.
Other examples include Trans Zarya and McHanzo, all of which the team at Blizzard have recognised and said nothing about.
Usually I'd say that it was just the fans being over-optimistic but Blizzard have promised that OW will have 'multiple lgbt characters. They even go ass far as teasing that more characters will be revealed 'naturally' but since Tracer was revealed as gay in a comic we've had nothing.
This is textbook queerbaiting - promiseing and teasing LGBT characters and never delivering.
A couple of things. With Roadhog being like 48 and Junkrat being 25, I'm not quite sure I want them as our gay couple with that huge age gap. Literally, Roadhog is basically Junkrat's dad and stops him from doing dumb things.

Secondly, Zarya shows off different body types for females that I appreciate a lot. She doesn't have to be trans to have a muscular body, while it would be a nice addition.

Third, McHanzo has been something that fans created. The two characters don't even interact in game with voice lines and have never met in person in the lore. There's a chance now that Overwatch is getting back together and Genji invited Hanzo, but Hanzo's also being invited to Talon.

This "queer-baiting" is more the fans filling in blanks for themselves, similar to the Pharmercy ship before Genjicy became a canon thing. Tracer is the only canon gay character for now, and I'd prefer the rest of the reveals be up to the same caliber as hers. But since the plot and lore move so slowly, this isn't so much as "queer-baiting" and more so "we literally are releasing 10 page comics every three months and a majority of the shorts have been flashbacks for stories we already know about".

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I find this a bit hard to take seriously when you just dismiss the two caucasian villains. Considering that the 'good side' is also very diverse I just don't see the issue.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
There's plenty of cis white male characters in this game and plenty other games as well, thanks.

There's plenty more possible non-white characters that could and should be represented far more.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Its a fine line, but theyre likable characters even if theyre villains. If they were all designed to be hated then I might see your point but I dont see it as a diversity issue, plus there are plenty of diverse heroes on the other side as well.

OP
OP
Rackham

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its a fine line, but theyre likable characters even if theyre villains. If they were all designed to be hated then I might see your point but I dont see it as a diversity issue, plus there are plenty of diverse heroes on the other side as well.
I like the Overwatch cast and I don't want people to misinterpret this as a thread where I state my hate for OW or anything (not that I think you are)

I just would like to see the next villain be someone like Soldier 76 or Reinhardt.

OW is my most played game and I actually really like a majority of the cast. Moira and Ana are my two favorite characters.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I get what OP is trying to say here. That it's a bit sketchy that the main organization of villains are comprised of minorities (and a brainwashed white girl) and four of the heroes are white, presumably cis straight, dudes. Then they retconned Mercy's shades of grey into being Moira's doing because of fan reception and interpretation of Mercy, so a white, presumably cis straight woman is no longer a villain but an implied wlw or trans woman now did bad things to Reaper.

There's definitely something to be discussed there, I think. How it could be seen as trying to imply white, cis, straight people, dudes in particular, are good, and only minorities can truly be bad.

... That being said, we have Junkrat and he's definitely a villain, even if a more comical kind. So. I'm not really bothered and I think he all by himself blows up the argument.

I don't think Blizzard intended to imply anything. I mean, as noted earlier, 76 and McCree were initially supposed to be dicks, but fan demand scrapped that.

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
Among the community, everywhere. Nothing in-lore so far though.

Depending on the community, every character in Overwatch is LBGTQ.

I thought Moira was a Transwoman?

WTF?

Junkrat is a white male but for some reason you don't count him either. You're cherry picking to an extreme and wanting something oddly specific. You want a straight white male villain with an in-lore allegiance to Talon?

Sounds like they want Evil 76.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
Our two caucasian villains also happen to be women. Still minorities.

Junkrat is a white male but for some reason you don't count him either. You're cherry picking to an extreme and wanting something oddly specific. You want a straight white male villain with an in-lore allegiance to Talon?

I've seen that said about 15 times in overwatch communities. I thought the character was actually trans in the lore. Apparently not.

OP
OP
Rackham

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

greenwell

Jan 12, 2018
Some people in this thread are missing the point. It is an obvious problem when the villains are made up of minorities and the heroes are not. It doesn't matter if the villains aren't caricatures, diversity in that case is offensive since minorities are represented as the bad guys.
But I don't think Overwatch suffers from this problem as the heroes are diverse. Widowmaker's still white and we have Junkrat. I wouldn't mind seeing a white guy Talon member though. A playable Omnic villain would be cool too.

A bit OT but I find OW's two black characters to be rather stereotypical as black characters go. And, no, Efi and Orisa doesn't count as one isn't playable/a minor character and the other's a robot.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Blizzard actually ever said or implied Moira was transgender, but rather something parts of the community decided because she isn't as effeminate as the other women.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I like the Overwatch cast and I don't want people to misinterpret this as a thread where I state my hate for OW or anything (not that I think you are)

I just would like to see the next villain be someone like Soldier 76 or Reinhardt.

OW is my most played game and I actually really like a majority of the cast. Moira and Ana are my two favorite characters.

Ya sure, from what I know about their process they have a ton of already designed characters in the vault that they could release and choosing one is a matter of how fun they are to play, fit the meta, etc etc. If they end up being minorities is probably more of a coincidence than anything else.

but rather something parts of the community decided because she isn't as effeminate as the other women.

Which is a whole other issue, a person cant look a certain way without people imposing a gender?

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Since you had to find ways to make the two white characters not count in not sure you've really got much of a point here.

I really can't see what adding a white straight man to the villain team does other than forgo a chance to represent a unique culture with another white straight man.

I mean, why do you even want that? Do you think it's unrealistic or something? It doesn't sound like you're advocating in favour of better representation for straight white men so it can't be that.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Where is everyone getting this OW lore? Is it fan made or something?

If not, why isn't it in the game? I've been playing a lot of time and never knew any of this lol

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Where is everyone getting this OW lore? Is it fan made or something?

If not, why isn't it in the game? I've been playing a lot of time and never knew any of this lol
The cinematics, comics, character video's, in-game intel, Uprising-event, information release by Blizzard in books, before release, to accompany character announcements etc. It's not much, but there's some fun stuff out there.