• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Giudecca

Oct 27, 2017
See I'd have this opinion if they hadn't stated at several occasions that this game has 'multiple lgbt characters'. Because unless Tracer counts as 'multiple people' they've told us that there's other members of that cast that are gay or trans.
They are encouraging this shipping between the fans without confirming anything- and thats the queerbaiting. I find it infuriating!

According to Wikipedia, this is queerbaiiting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queerbaiting
Queerbaiting is the practice (mainly in film or television writing) to hint at, but then to not actually depict, a potential same-sex romantic relationship between fictional characters. The potential romance may be ignored, explicitly rejected or made fun of.

It's just them off-handedly mentioning the popularity of the ship. It's not hinting at their relationship in any way. Hell, they've never even met in canon.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't get it either. If they're all mostly different minorities, how is that not diverse?

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Consider this: Would it be a good look if the entire villain cast was POC?
If the entire hero cast are POC it doesnt seem like it'd matter, but if its an all white cast it'd be suspect.
And it seems like overwatch fits into the cast being pretty diverse and not all white cast.

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's also important to examine how Blizzard may have unintentionally arrived at this point due to fan demands and criticism.

One of the main criticisms of Overwatch's cast at release was that there were a lot of heroes but comparatively few villains, which people felt was very lopsided. So with the new character additions, I think Blizzard decided it was a good time to beef up the number of villains to address this criticism.

At the same time, there was a lot of praise of the diversity of the cast at release, but also disappointment that there were some groups left unrepresented or underrepresented. This was clearly a priority with the new character additions, as every single new character added has been either female, a PoC, or both.

So it's not so surprising what the end result was when you combine these two priorities.

I think this explains your problem OP. I saw exactly what OP was talking about after I started playing Overwatch and it rubbed me a bit wrong but I realized this was because Blizzard heard fans like "Wtf where are our not white dudes and villains" so they killed two birds with one stone.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
Villain wise we have the white Junkrat and Maori Roadhog, ruthless serial killers, racists and terrorists who are partially responsible for turning their home country into an irradiated shit heap.

We have the hispanic Sombra and Reaper, the white Widowmaker and Moira and the black Doomfist who work for an evil legion of doom.

We have the Indian Symmetra who works for a shitbag company that ruins the environment, and demolished poor communities cuz fuck the poor.

And ambiguously we have asian Hanzo, a former assassin, yakuza prince and arms dealer who killed his own brother years ago but has since left all that life behind in remorse, and is a more neutral party now.

I guess we still need an Omnic villain, but that's a damn good spread.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I mean I have more of a problem in that the majority (3 out of 5) of Team Talon are people of color, but that's just me.

OP
OP
Rackham

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Villain wise we have the white Junkrat and Maori Roadhog, ruthless serial killers, racists and terrorists who are partially responsible for turning their home country into an irradiated shit heap.

We have the hispanic Sombra and Reaper, the white Widowmaker and Moira and the black Doomfist who work for an evil legion of doom.

We have the Indian Symmetra who works for a shitbag company that ruins the environment, and demolished poor communities cuz fuck the poor.

And ambiguously we have asian Hanzo, a former assassin, yakuza prince and arms dealer who killed his own brother years ago but has since left all that life behind in remorse, and is a more neutral party now.

Let me just fix title to The Overwatch villains are mostly minority.
Rowlf

Copper

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Minorities are bad, so they get represented by villains in game, i don't see that strange.

Yeah, it's a pretty bad look. They should just drop the "actually bad people" and just make it so everyone do this shit for sport. It's a game.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Not to mention the characters with shades of gray.

Zarya and Torbjorn both seem to be incredibly racist towards Omnics.

McCree seems to have no issue breaking the law when he sees fit.

76 obviously is full blown vigilante. And consider he uses an automatic rifle, this isn't a Batman scenario here.

David

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neo Yokio
So, you are asking for white people to be villains? What's your diversity quota on villains and heroes?

Do you have a hidden agenda?

incogneato

Self Requested Ban
Nov 8, 2017
this entire thread is giving me "reverse racism"

theres a difference between re5 depictions of villainy and overwatch depictions because the latter is diversity of all types of ethnic groups and phenotypes while the former is just black = zombies

Sheentak

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds wierd but for diversity sake I think we need another cis white male on the villian side

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest OP, I don't see this as thread whining. In fact, in a game that does focus on having such a diverse cast as it does, it is slightly ironic that we don't see a wider scope for the villains side. Of course in the case of Junkrat and Roadhog, they aren't really affiliated with Talon (much like how D.Va, Lucio and Pharah aren't affiliated with Overwatch, or at least last I checked).

Of course, you can say that Moira's inclusion has fixed that a bit, but it would be nice to see even more playable villains or antagonists in the game. Hell, I'm still waiting for this guy to show up (and I feel like it could be soon too). Sanjay is right there Blizzard. We know you are planning something with him and I can bet that when he is introduced, he is going to be featured with Lucio and Symmetra in a cinematic.

230px-Sanjay.jpg

Even though the ratio has been 2 Good (Ana and Orisa) and 3 Not Good (Sombra, Doomfist and Moira), I'd like to see at least one more bad guy character just so that we can have a full six person team of "Team Talon" (even if Sombra may not be with Talon full-time, she still operates with them, so I'm counting that).