• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
That honestly doesn't mean shit in non-organized play. They're all just fucking around.
So on equal grounds of "fucking around," a new underrated team beating an established semi-finalist team is not worth nothing.

I'm not even saying Toronto will be good. All I said was that they seem okay. Less doom and gloom than their pre-season ratings would suggest.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
I think many (not all teams) are taking OWL very seriously, and besides 2-3 teams who are going to be hard stuck in the bottom ranking (like Justice, Fuel and Chengdu), #1-16 could be all over the place. Most of these teams seem to know what they're doing and learning from mistakes teams made Season 1.

Like I wouldn't be surprised if NYXL is outside of Top 5, and teams like Spark and Shock dominating the League.

optimus8936

Oct 25, 2017
So on equal grounds of "fucking around," a new underrated team beating an established semi-finalist team is not worth nothing.

I'm not even saying Toronto will be good. All I said was that they seem okay. Less doom and gloom than their pre-season ratings would suggest.
It absolutely is worth nothing lol. Players performances are wildly different on the heroes they don't play. Carpe on Widow is a hell of a difference compared to Carpe on Winston.

Remember last year's preseason when Boston looked like the worst team in the league and Dallas and Seoul looked like world beaters? I remember

optimus8936

Oct 25, 2017
This is why you can't determine anything from this

Actually Dragons looked like the worst team even in pre-season iirc. Boston showed promise.

Teams don't want to show their strats 5 days pre-OWL
Did you watch the same preseason as me? Boston barely beat Shanghai and both teams looked like they belonged in bronze

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
DPS here, DPS there, DPS everywhere. I would be scared if the meta ever goes back to 2-2-2 and facing these guys.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
It absolutely is worth nothing lol. Players performances are wildly different on the heroes they don't play. Carpe on Widow is a hell of a difference compared to Carpe on Winston.

Remember last year's preseason when Boston looked like the worst team in the league and Dallas and Seoul looked like world beaters? I remember

None of the teams have been completely throwing, team comps aside. There's been target focus, grouping up, appropriate use of positioning/high ground, etc. Which is, of course, emblematic of what pro play would naturally be - if teams were 100% ignoring everything, we'd see way more solo q gold shit. Like, NYXL clearly was still kind of working as a team even with their main healer running around on McRightClick. Whereas with Mayhem, Fuel and Dragons, we could clearly see a disconnect in the team between the members. So seeing a semblance of teamwork, to me, suggests a basic level of competence that's not suggestive of a bottom 3 team.

Also in the top half of the inaugural were the Valiant, Spitfire, Uprising, and NYXL. So clearly, Boston didn't look the like the worst team, and we saw an inkling of what the better teams were. Fuel and Dynasty were the outliers, I guess.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Did you watch the same preseason as me? Boston barely beat Shanghai and both teams looked like they belonged in bronze

I thought they did semi-ok against NYXL iirc. My memory isn't very good.

optimus8936

Oct 25, 2017
None of the teams have been completely throwing, team comps aside. There's been target focus, grouping up, appropriate use of positioning/high ground, etc. Which is, of course, emblematic of what pro play would naturally be - if teams were 100% ignoring everything, we'd see way more solo q gold shit. Like, NYXL clearly was still kind of working as a team even with their main healer running around on McRightClick. Whereas with Mayhem, Fuel and Dragons, we could clearly see a disconnect in the team between the members. So seeing a semblance of teamwork, to me, suggests a basic level of competence that's not suggestive of a bottom 3 team.

Also in the top half of the inaugural were the Valiant, Spitfire, Uprising, and NYXL. So clearly, Boston didn't look the like the worst team, and we saw an inkling of what the better teams were. Fuel and Dynasty were the outliers, I guess.
You can be a bottom 3 team and still be able to work together as a team. It still means nothing and acting like any of this gameplay does mean anything is just dumb. The teams are even talking to each other about shit to meme about. Nyxl literally made a pact with Paris to both go out as 5 dps and went goats instead to fuck with them.

And again, watch that clip I posted

Literally the #1 rule of any preseason in any sport is to never, ever, ever take it seriously. Ever.

How many times do teams go 4-0 in the NFL preseason then have a losing season?

Last edited:

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
You can be a bottom 3 team and still be able to work together as a team. It still means nothing and acting like any of this gameplay does mean anything is just dumb. The teams are even talking to each other about shit to meme about. Nyxl literally made a pact with Paris to both go out as 5 dps and went goats instead to fuck with them.

And again, watch that clip I posted

Literally the #1 of any preseason in any sport is to never, ever, ever take it seriously. Ever.

How many times do teams go 4-0 in the NFL preseason then have a losing season?

I mean... you probably can. But we didn't see that, lol. We saw the bottom 3 teams be unable to work as a team, which put them in the bottom 3. The Toronto players SEEM to have basic competence, because it LOOKS like they have something of an idea of how to play with each other. That's not an unreasonable observation.

Honestly, you're taking my initial post too seriously. I know most of anything we see today has no significance for the season. Like, look at this:

I know these matches mean dick all but... Toronto seems... okay?

All I've been saying is that we've seen dumpster fires in pro OW and Toronto didn't look absolutely worthless.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, this SFS vs Justice match makes the other showmatches look like the grand finals. Like, there's fucking around, and then there's fucking around.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Bit of a change up, maybe still not running tactics they'd use in real games, but alot of Shocks team seem to be playing characters they are known for?

edit - oh damn, striker with the boston spray and the X spray

edit edit - I say that and then Architect is on Mercy, fml

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Uh oh..

Seems to me he wasn't aware the players weren't happy about the community countdown. He should have surveyed the teams better before they went ahead with this.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
That's what you get when you do a half ass attempt at a preseason that no one really wanted this close to the actual season.

Just do an event with more fun distractions rather than try and sell this crap as scrims, lmao.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Watching seagulls stream right now, and he pretty much said it should have been mystery heros/memes from the start since no team would try their hardest and show strats.

I wonder if any team coach/whatever told them that would happen, since it seems they expected something else.

Should have let Jayne host a pick up pro pugs with hero bans like they did last time, with a laid back in person Q/A with some of the players .

Such an easy solution to this fiasco.

That would have been actually a better idea. Its something that has clearly worked in the past, but then again, it was all randoms and not team vs team.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Should have let Jayne host a pick up pro pugs with hero bans like they did last time, with a laid back in person Q/A with some of the players .

Such an easy solution to this fiasco.

someday

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this definitely isn't on the players with 5 days until the actual season starts. It should have always been mystery heroes, or whatever arcade mode. Or better yet, just let us watch Trials and give the teams a final weekend off before the season starts in earnest.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
That would have been actually a better idea. Its something that has clearly worked in the past, but then again, it was all randoms and not team vs team.

Plus with hero bans it would force mixed player teams to think of new strats on the spot, and not defaulting to secret tactics that coaches wouldn't want to be revealed. It would basically be a showcase of mechanical skill and shotcalling ability.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Did someone say Jam?

I'm a bit behind on this thread but we keeping this one instead of getting a new thread? AND Y'ALL DIDN'T HONOR THE GOAT DESPITE MY GOAT NAME SUGGESTIONS AlexFlame116

Overwatch League Off-Season |OT| Jam

Alternate acceptable titles:

#ItCameHome
PogJam
#JamsHigh
Jamstradamus
JamEra
Jambagging
Jam posts in here
JamWatch
Jam Takes
This is our Jam
JamThump
Jameta
Hi guys, Jam here from the Overwatch threads

Okay I'm done.

Jam was right
Jam Season
God save the Jam
Jam's coronation
Jamidation

Now I'm really done.

Trades. Drama. Jam.
Jelly of Jam
Jampions
A Korean Esport in London, starring Jam
Jam Season Approachin'

Okay. I'm telling the truth now. I'm done. 100%.

Y'all thirsty af.

600px-London_Spitfire_logo.png

We're a week away from the title defense by
SEASON ONE INAUGURAL CHAMPIONS LONDON SPITFIRE

OP
OP
AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Did someone say Jam?

I'm a bit behind on this thread but we keeping this one instead of getting a new thread? AND Y'ALL DIDN'T HONOR THE GOAT DESPITE MY GOAT NAME SUGGESTIONS AlexFlame116

600px-London_Spitfire_logo.png

We're a week away from the title defense by SEASON ONE INAUGURAL CHAMPIONS LONDON SPITFIRE
Lol to be fair I had no idea that this existed sorry! I'm working on the true 2019 thread right now.

And I was wondering on the following.
Sorry to interrupt! But I was wondering if you guys were cool with each team having like a fan description about why that team is awesome. Sort of like what Jam did for the champs lol. But not that long. Like a paragraph or something. I'm sure every team has a fan here in ResetEra. So maybe one person can make a description for that team and I'll put it in the OP.

OP
OP
AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Sure, I'll write a paragraph up tomorrow. Is there an established format or anything you're thinking of?
Oh something like this! Maybe:
Dallas Fuel:

This team consisting of a group of players that became household names in Overwatch since beta is the most popular team in the League. This is not only because of famed streamers like xQc, Seagull and Jayne being a part of, or are still part of the organization, but the core of this team comes from the most popular and dominant Western team pre-OWL, Envyus. Envyus holds the honor of being the only Western team to win a tournament in Korea in any e-sport game ever, and have shaped the meta of Overwatch over the years due to excellent and coordinated team play. However, despite coming into the first Season with so much hype, they faltered badly due to lack of a deep coaching staff, and disruption in player ability to play on stage. Problems compounded so hard that they finished bottom 3 in the League.

With many edgy personalities, different nationalities, and washed up players, it's a wonder how this team can ever succeed #burnblue
Maybe a little bit smaller.

You don't have to color the text or anything. But basically just something about why a newcomer to the OWL should root for the team you chose.

Do you have a team in mind?

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I'm the only one who enjoyed some of the stuff yesterday lol. Soon trolling his teammates not capping, people going for hammer kills on Torb in all his glory. That stuff was hilarious. The biggest flaw was to tease this as actual scrims when that was never going to happen, so of course the community response is warranted.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I'm the only one who enjoyed some of the stuff yesterday lol. Soon trolling his teammates not capping, people going for hammer kills on Torb in all his glory. That stuff was hilarious. The biggest flaw was to tease this as actual scrims when that was never going to happen, so of course the community response is warranted.
As fun as it might be, it paints the image of OW esports as a joke and helps players moving on to other sports cause toxicity and trolling are real issues in the game and even pros are doing that now, also what kind of league allows for trolling in anything sold as "scrims"? This was the chance for many new teams to go and show their play value in order to bring in more people, they could have just played on an older patch to prevent leaks idk

I'm tempted to move to Apex after that shitshow lmao, blizzard cares so little about the OW brand by letting this happens that makes OW look like a sinking ship

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
blizzard cares so little about the OW brand by letting this happens that makes OW look like a sinking ship

OW is a sinking ship and there are a laundry list of reasons to prove Blizzard cares little about the brand, but a low-viewership poorly-advertised community event nobody cares about is pretty far down the list of those reasons.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
OW is a sinking ship and there are a laundry list of reasons to prove Blizzard cares little about the brand, but a low-viewership poorly-advertised community event nobody cares about is pretty far down the list of those reasons.
It should be, not everyone is smart enough to know this season's real games won't be a joke like that

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Just a heads up the All-access pass does not have POV VODs
Cheers, Love! The Game Master is here! I am Lasirraste and I'm on the objective!

Thank you for getting a hold of me with your question about the new Command Center on the OWL all access pass on twitch. the extra views available will only be during live games. We will still have all the vods and replays and clips available after the match but those will be in the standard game view.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiv...wing_with_twitch_owl_all_access_pass/eg5hane/

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
pretty sure the games where players were throwing are still more competitive than mystery heroes.

optimus8936

Oct 25, 2017
I can safely say that based on this competitive gameplay, Dallas is better than the season 1 champions. RIP Jam.

Status
Not open for further replies.