• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Space is easily IMO the biggest western tank in the league and was consistently in the valiant starting 6 until stage 4 this year because of the meta changes (although I thought his Sigma was top class on Team USA).

Arguably one of the biggest names to be traded so far. A massive get for the gladiators.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Toronto does still need a main support so getting him would make sense. He isn't Canadian, but it does fit with the idea that the team's roster is pretty largely Western now.

With only 12 days until the minimum 8 player signing deadline and only 6 players currently "officially" signed, we should expect the Defiant to probably extend this as long as possible for the hype lol. Next announcement will likely be Nevix next week, with Surefour probably being the last, close to the deadline. After that they will probably go after a Support player like Keller, and maybe another Tank?
Yep yep. Assuming the leaked Nevix and Surefour moves turned out true, getting another main support and a backup tank would be the two main missing pieces on the roster, so going after Kellex makes sense. It makes me a bit more surprised now that they dropped Gods, I feel like he would have worked as a decent backup/situational alternative at offtank, since I dunno how Nevix's Roadhog is.

That would give them...
DPS: Logix, Mangachu, Agilities, S4, in whatever combo you want
Tank: Beast, Nevix
Support: Kellex, Kariv (Roky as emergency break-glass support)

Doesn't look bad, I guess? But it's hard to get a sense for whether this would be upper echelon or not. What would be the weak link?

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Yep yep. Assuming the leaked Nevix and Surefour moves turned out true, getting another main support and a backup tank would be the two main missing pieces on the roster, so going after Kellex makes sense. It makes me a bit more surprised now that they dropped Gods, I feel like he would have worked as a decent backup/situational alternative at offtank, since I dunno how Nevix's Roadhog is.

That would give them...

Doesn't look bad, I guess? But it's hard to get a sense for whether this would be upper echelon or not. What would be the weak link?
I've also been reading that Toronto isn't "after" anybody anymore, everyone has been signed for quite a while. I've also read that Kellex has been picked up for quite a while as well... So put those two together and take that info as you will, always with a grain of salt until official confirmation.

But if that's true, I wonder who the other pieces are since there haven't been any rumours about them

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

That would give them...

I do not think they would get near the upper-tier teams with it, overall.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
[/QUOTE]
But I wanna hear your take :(

I'll keep it as short as possible, but right now, I think it's the best moment to be investing in a Latam franchise as a whole, regardless of esport. The reason for this is because countries are finally looking at it as a potential growth in their market trying to appeal to a younger audience and in this context, Mexico is far and away the best bet. Not only you have a big geographical advantage against the other Spanish speaking Latam countries, based on the merits from players across different games (Seiya in LoL and MKLeo in Smash for instance) the will of investors trying to push videogames into the mainstream is already showing with this year alone deciding to acquire the rights to air LoL, GoW, Smash and other FGC tournaments on national Tv.

The thing with Brazil is the big language barrier and how that'll basically would segregate the entire continent, sure it's a big market too, but it'd be too centralized on just that region alone that it would make it impossible for a fan to relate or feel that team as his own, which is what Paris Eternal tried to channel: the 'EU Pride'. The issue here is, the EU thing is based on a playstyle and the overall skill ceiling of the continent, not nationalities, which makes having a more 'relatable' country a bigger deal, since the in-game representation would be, being absolutely optimistic, barely existent. Like watching the Sao Paulo Ronaldinho's lineup six Koreans literally does nothing for anyone outside Brazil in the region.

Cause let's be real, Latam is pretty bad at Overwatch, like, contender for worst region in the world BAD at a professional level. That's not to say there aren't decent and even good players around or that Blizzard's lack of support gets a pass, but realistically, who would make the cut for an OWL team? Alemao? Klaus? Nomy as a coach? You'd have to be able to plan ahead having a seeder contenders team where one'd put the best Latam talent and eventually bring one or two to the main team, and again, the best region to set this is Mexico since the ping disadvantage would be nonexistent.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
Avast has memed a working relationship between the Mayhem and Chuck E. Cheese's social media. Beautiful

OP
OP
Solidsnakejej

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
UiLYS4P.png

Now 2 of the 3 players I was a fan of before OWL are on the same team and the other retired.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Was just about to post this. Thought Surefour being the most hyped picked would be announced last, but I saw earlier today it was his bday so today makes a lot more sense. Either way, I'm stoked to see him play! Watched some of his stuff from previous years, as well as his content on YouTube and he seems like a pretty talented, likeable dude

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Toronto now officially stacked with individual star power. Now to see how they will go together as a team. Still a gladiators fan but Toronto now having S4, Kariv, Agilities + Logix is quickly making them my number 2.

Sad to hear Youngjin officially retiring. Loved to see him play on the Dragons and he was exciting to watch on Doomfist.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Like watching the Sao Paulo Ronaldinho's lineup six Koreans literally does nothing for anyone outside Brazil in the region.
It does nothing for brazil either lol people here aren't that used to cheer for brazilian teams that have no brazilians, it'd be london all over again...

You made some good points, i'm just wondering if there's still any mexican team left to make that viable...only ones i found were closed or had an all brazilian roster... which doesn't help that much with making the Latam region all that happy...

At first i thought they'd need some sort of miracle team winning an international prize to make the scene happen, like in csgo, but lately i'm wondering if there will even have any teams left by the end of next year. I wished Fury had a chance to grow, idk, as far as latam representation they do a pretty neat job with its representants .-.~~

Sorry if i was salty these days but this situation is very upsetting and i really believe the reason lowkey disbanded was that damned world cup after i read the explanations of how they were handled >_>

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017

I'll keep it as short as possible, but right now, I think it's the best moment to be investing in a Latam franchise as a whole, regardless of esport. The reason for this is because countries are finally looking at it as a potential growth in their market trying to appeal to a younger audience and in this context, Mexico is far and away the best bet. Not only you have a big geographical advantage against the other Spanish speaking Latam countries, based on the merits from players across different games (Seiya in LoL and MKLeo in Smash for instance) the will of investors trying to push videogames into the mainstream is already showing with this year alone deciding to acquire the rights to air LoL, GoW, Smash and other FGC tournaments on national Tv.

The thing with Brazil is the big language barrier and how that'll basically would segregate the entire continent, sure it's a big market too, but it'd be too centralized on just that region alone that it would make it impossible for a fan to relate or feel that team as his own, which is what Paris Eternal tried to channel: the 'EU Pride'. The issue here is, the EU thing is based on a playstyle and the overall skill ceiling of the continent, not nationalities, which makes having a more 'relatable' country a bigger deal, since the in-game representation would be, being absolutely optimistic, barely existent. Like watching the Sao Paulo Ronaldinho's lineup six Koreans literally does nothing for anyone outside Brazil in the region.

Cause let's be real, Latam is pretty bad at Overwatch, like, contender for worst region in the world BAD at a professional level. That's not to say there aren't decent and even good players around or that Blizzard's lack of support gets a pass, but realistically, who would make the cut for an OWL team? Alemao? Klaus? Nomy as a coach? You'd have to be able to plan ahead having a seeder contenders team where one'd put the best Latam talent and eventually bring one or two to the main team, and again, the best region to set this is Mexico since the ping disadvantage would be nonexistent.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for adding more info, that's even more reason to get a Mexican team in. I think LatAm OW would be in a much better place if Blizzard hadn't destroyed the T2 scene. If we had LatAm-only tourneys that aspired towards what APEX was we'd probably have better showcased and developed talent. As-is, you're right, you have to go top up, create a LatAm team, and create a seed team in T2 to really develop talent and raise the level of competition. AKA the London Spitfire approach with British Hurricane

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Org that isn't even a part of the team: tweets amazing, heartwarming send off for two players that defined the first two years of a franchise.

Current owners: quote other teams announcement tweet with a generic gif.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I will be rooting for my canada boys next season. I think they will get rekt but what can you do.

OP
OP
Solidsnakejej

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale

From Korean leaker

Edison - Atlanta

Leejaegon - Shanghai

Whoru - Dallas

Birdring - Gladiators

Wizardhyeong - Seoul

Mentalist(GCB W coach) - Atlanta

Whynot - NYXL

Last edited:
OP
OP
Solidsnakejej

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
The Whoru rumor has being going on so long that people are just willing it in to existence. Philly added Ivy so they have their flex DPS, and Whoru joins former FU Zach and Aero.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Yup just Nevix now for the tank Role. So the roster atm is:

DPS: Surefour, Agilities, Logix, Mangachu
Tank: Beast, (Nevix to be confirmed)
Support: KariV, Kellex, Roky (2-way)

All they need after the Nevix announcement is really a back-up Tank and they got a full roster!

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
So I have some time to kill and decided to look at the 12 rosters from Stage 1 of S1 (or signings during the season that came from outside OWL) and see how many players are still on (pending announcements and blabla) their first orgs:

• Boston: 0 (Mistakes, Striker, Kalios, Note, Gamsu, Aimgod, Kellex, Avast, Snow)
  • Florida: 1 (Sayaplayer, cwoosh, Tviq, Manneten, Logix, Zuppeh, Zebbosai, Awesomeguy)
  • Houston: 8 (Jake, Muma, Boink, Bani, Rawkus, Linkzr, Coolmatt, Spree, Mendo, Arhan, Clockwork, FCTFCTN)
  • London Spitfire: 1 (Bdosin, Hagopeun, Fury, Tizi, Fissure, Gesture, Nus, Closer, Rascal, Birdring, Woohyal, Hooreg)
  • NYXL: 6 (Pine, Anamo, Ark, Janus, Mano, SBB, Meko, Libero, Jjonak)
  • Fusion: 6 (Carpe, EQO, Sado, Boombox, Snillo, Poko, Fragi, Dayfly, Joemeister, Neptuno, Hotba, Shadowburn)
  • Dallas: 4 (Taimou, AKM, HarryHook, Mickie, OGE, xqc, Custa, Effect, Seagull, Cocco, Chipshajen)
  • LA Gladiators: 2 (Shaz, BigGoose, Surefour, Hydration, iRemiix, Bischu, Asher, Void)
  • LA Valiant: 1 (KSF, Space, Fate, Finnsi, Agilities, Soon, Izayaki, Verbo, Kariv, Numlocked)
  • SF Shock: 5 (Sinatraa, Super, Choihyobin, Moth, Architect, Nomy, Babybay, Danteh, Nevix, Sleepy, Dhak, IDDQD)
  • Shanghai: 1 (Diya, Geguri, Daemin, Ado, MG, Fearless, Altering, Roshan, Fiveking, Sky, Xushu, Freefeel)
  • Seoul: 2 (Tobi, Zunba, Fleta, Weeked, Munchkin, Xepher, Miro, Gido, Gambler, Kuki, Ryujehong)

OP
OP
Solidsnakejej

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Surprised Toronto didn't pick up Crimzo seeing as they were going after Canadian talent, wonder if Dallas was asking to much for him.

Also just cancel OWWC, it ain't worth it. Just get a online region base tournament going in the off season for countries that are under represented.
When the 2019 OWWC was announced I was so excited and confident we could run it back for another deep run similar to last year. Unfortunately, things didn't happen as I thought. We had a lot less practice before this OWWC because some of us were on vacation/break after OWL and I had to spend 2 weeks in Korea for the Gauntlet so we were a lot more rushed then we were last year. I think the first time we ever played with all of our 7 players together was when we were boot camping in Toronto ( 5 days before BlizzCon ). We were scrimming weeks before that with ringers and such but all the others teams had been practicing for weeks and weeks with their proper 7 man rosters so we were behind, by a lot. I honestly believe we just didn't have enough time and practice to be able to match the other teams who had been practicing for weeks and weeks before us. I knew we were going to be coming into this OWWC a lot weaker then last year but honestly, I thought we would be able to push through because of the all talented players we have on our roster and we could "brute force" our way through. However this meta is ALL about teamwork, and if you don't have better communication and better coordination then the other team, you lose. Day 1 was going to be a long day with 4 matches to play and I truly believed that we could still beat the other teams in our group regardless of our lack of practice if we worked hard and we played together. Unfortunately, disaster struck the night before Day 1 began.

I was staying with my GF during OWWC and at 2am, in the middle of the night, out of nowhere, she woke up with really bad chest pain. At first we didn't know what to do so we sat there trying to figure shit out ourselves, but we quickly figured out this was very very serious. We decided to go to the hospital where we stayed all night so they could run tests. Eventually they found out she was suffering from Pericarditis which is an inflammation of the pericardium (the thin membrane around the heart). So by the time we got out of the hospital and back to our hotel, it was 8 am and Team Canada needed to meet in the hotel lobby at 8:30 to start our day... fuck...
So there I am, no sleep getting ready for an 8 hour, 4 match day. I knew I was going to be really fucking tired but that didn't matter because I had some fucking games to win. Honestly, given the circumstances and knowing that I tried my absolute fucking best, I am pretty happy with how I played on an individual level. Unfortunately we just didn't have the necessary teamwork and coordination needed to win in the end.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Honestly I wish him the best of luck. Given his situation in the WC, it's totally understandable that he just wouldn't be as sharp as others. Pretty revealing facts in here as well that Team Canada just wasn't well prepared for their matches as well. The meta being the way it is requiring top notch team work would only work if the team had practiced a lot, something that Canada didn't do.

I too expected him to land in the Defiant, but maybe although he did try-out, the team didn't think he was still where they needed him to be?

OP
OP
Solidsnakejej

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale

• The VIP tickets (Valued around $140 per day for the locals) for Feb 29, 2020 sold out in 1 minutes.
  • All 276 VIP tickets sold out in 5 minutes
  • All 1599 tickets for Feb 29, 2020 sold out in 20 minutes
  • All 3198 tickets sold out in 7 hours

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I bought my day 1 homestand ticket for the Defiant, there are still about 40-30% of tickets left? But a lot of them are in terrible spots that would make it tough to see. For the most part, the good seats that aren't too expensive are gone. Didn't check for day 2, and the second homestand still doesn't have available tickets

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
> BIRDRING joins Glads
> We may or may not have signed Jmac, a relatively poor tank who stomped in Chinese contenders....
> Homestead tickets listed for £800, £400 and £200.

lmao just fucking bury me.

yeah sure, I'll drop £800 for a meet and great with a mystery team that Jack spent £100 acquiring.

Get your house in order. London Clownshoes.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
I remember what happened the last time Gladiators signed a troublesome London player.

Please give me Glister now.

Also holy fuck those are some expensive ass ticket prices.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
> BIRDRING joins Glads
> We may or may not have signed Jmac, a relatively poor tank who stomped in Chinese contenders....

yeah sure, I'll drop £800 for a meet and great with a mystery team that Jack spent £100 acquiring.

Hahahahahahaha. London must be having a laugh.

OmniStrife

Dec 11, 2017
> BIRDRING joins Glads

Maldon Spitfire