• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Infi

Oct 27, 2017
It takes on average 64 days to grow back or about a week before season 3 begins. He has to go through the airport soon which will be its own issue.
Speaking of season 3 have they announced whats going to happen with the casters yet? Do they take different regions and follow the teams to each homestead?

OP
OP
Solidsnakejej

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Speaking of season 3 have they announced whats going to happen with the casters yet? Do they take different regions and follow the teams to each homestead?

No information on casters yet, If they want casters at the homestand they'll have to have 2 sets of casters one for Atlantic division and another for Pacific. They could also have a remote studio where the send the feed to.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Popped into the thread after not being on Era for a few days and the first thing I see is an eyebrowless Sideshow I've been trying to avoid on Twitter.

Jesus Christ.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Fun fact about me: I had my eyebrows shaved off for an eye procedure when I was 3 years old. I'm 29 (and a half, do people still say this?) and they have still not come back in. I tried numerous ointments, whatever you can think of for many years until I stopped trying. I eventually got used to seeing myself this way that I can't imagine myself with them and would honestly shave them back off should they ever come in. Sure I got bullied a ton because of it but I truthfully think it is one of those things people really overreact about. Seeing Sideshow's immediate regret and attitude about it was both fucking hilarious and just a tad irritating since they'll grow back after some time for him.

Basically, some people can pull off the look and some can't. He can't and now we laugh.

This is all in good fun as well, in case I need to say it. I like Sideshow but he'll be fine.

OP
OP
Solidsnakejej

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
T1 joint venture of SK Telecom and Comcast 🤔

So fusion uni going away so they have a proxy SK contenders team to build their roster. Thats 1 way to get around league rules.

So much fuckery in this league

Last edited:
OP
OP
Solidsnakejej

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
OWL needs to make major changes to how they present T2 & T3 scene or OW pro scene will collapse under it's self

Nice gesture but bit late on the OWL front.

Last edited:

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Gotta love Blizzard spending hundred of dollars to give Switches with Overwatch to streamers while taking half a year to pay out contenders players while we have more and more Academy teams being dropped leading to way, WAY less financial stability and opportunities for new players thus leading to this

Plus

Former player manager from NYXL

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
The Florida Mayhem boutta start slapping Chuck E. Cheese logos onto their jerseys thanks to Avast Pog

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Imagine this front and center on their jerseys
ChuckE.jpeg

OP
OP
Solidsnakejej

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
'Retirement' just doesn't feel like the right word for my future plans... but there it is. There's a few factors that led me to the decision to step away from professional Overwatch competition, and I want to be as transparent as possible in explaining it to the community.

I've sacrificed relationships, sleep, and SO much time to become a professional player. Despite the sacrifices, though, I do not regret chasing down my childhood dream. The chance to compete at the highest level among the best players on the planet was worth it all. I think I would have always regretted not giving it my 100% best possible effort had I gone a different direction with my life or, worse, given esports less than my best attempt. That said, I've changed a lot as a person since the start of my journey.

Reaching a level of success in OW has led me to reevaluate my goals and, for the first time since being 13 years old and wanting nothing other than to be the best player in the game, think big-picture about what I want to do in my life. As a player, I felt that I had a responsibility to always work to improve & contribute more to winning matches. I've always expected a high level of effort from myself and my teammates, even in scrims and personal practice. When I felt that streaming was adding friction to my individual practice during the season, I gave it up almost entirely in order to train with greater focus. I guess I still am a competitive purist even now, because I'd rather retire and pursue new dreams/goals than give less than 100% effort and collect an OWL player salary for another 12 months... in my heart that would feel like a betrayal of the teammates I have competed alongside over these past two years, as well as all of the dedicated, amazing fans who have cheered us on through all our setbacks.

Speaking of setbacks, I can't say either of my two seasons playing in the Overwatch League went exactly the way I had hoped they would, but in my memory the good times stand out strongly and the bad seem distant and easily discarded. I still love my teammates & wish them the best, and yes, I still enjoy playing Overwatch. In service of my own fulfillment and happiness, though, I know that I must step away from professional play for now. In giving everything to grind the game, I have forcibly stagnated my process of learning, growth, and exploration that I feel allowed me to reach this competitive level in the first place. As a pro player, I felt that I was just treading water trying to keep pace with the rapid pace of improvement/adaptation that is a constant in the OWL. With the added burden of global travel looming over the next year of professional competition, I knew that the time was now to make a big change in my life.

To those fans who may have followed my journey from Bird Noises to LG Evil to Team USA and finally the Outlaws, your support has meant the world to me. It makes me really happy to meet people who enjoy cheering us on. As a fan of many esports players from a variety of titles, I know where you are coming from! I also know that my stepping away from competition may come as a disappointment, but I hope you'll recover quickly ;-).

I can't announce the full scope of my future plans just yet, but suffice to say that you haven't seen the last of me in the Overwatch scene! For now, you can find me streaming my Overwatch gameplay pretty consistently in the afternoons/evenings PST (https://www.twitch.tv/jake_ow/).

P.S. Now that I'm formally retiring as a professional player... perhaps it's time to resurrect the Jakerat... you'll have to tune in to the stream to find out :O)

Last edited:

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Yeaaah, he's absolutely doing casting. Why wouldn't he? He's really fucking good, definitely a more stable professional environment, way less pressure to perform, not a lot of competition.

Why tf would he stay as a player in a dying competitive scene? Next step is him transitioning to an esport that's not gonna be dead in like two years.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, we are not even on the 3rd year of OWL and we already have an "old guard" of retirees for the league :(

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
Super's the last member of LG Evil left standing :(

Anyways this is extra odd because Jake was supposed to be sign to a multi-year contract with the Outlaws. Like 3+ IIRC. I wonder if he's forfeited that guaranteed money. Especially when he was apparently on other teams' shopping lists too

xerzewatt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It will be really weird to think about Outlaws without Jake. I am sure we'll still see him as a caster though.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeaaah, he's absolutely doing casting. Why wouldn't he? He's really fucking good, definitely a more stable professional environment, way less pressure to perform, not a lot of competition.

Why tf would he stay as a player in a dying competitive scene? Next step is him transitioning to an esport that's not gonna be dead in like two years.
I've really enjoyed his casting. He's got a great knack for it.

And I agree. Casting is probably a much more normal job in terms of lifestyle. You can probably have a life and still cast. The same can't be said when you're practicing or travelling whenever you're not in a match as a progamer.
Oh man, we are not even on the 3rd year of OWL and we already have an "old guard" of retirees for the league :(
I fear there will be one hell of a body count this season. This travel schedule looks brutal, when progamer life is already pretty brutal.

xerzewatt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I rewatched a couple of the old games from Season 1 Stage 1 for nostalgia. Outlaws were beastly, clowning Spitfire and Glads. It is surprising how much we played Tracer of all heroes (by both Jake and Linkzr).

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
It looks cool, but at the same time I miss the running guy motif.

Unless that's in the new logo and I'm just not seeing it.