• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Don't really care either way. Only thing I'll miss are live clips. Being from EU I get most of my action from the occassional vod or highlights on YT anyway.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
youtube gaming is a separate app from regular youtube right?

Nah, not anymore tho, they integrated the content with regular YouTube a while ago.

The move's... Interesting, YT is bigger than Twitch anyway you slice it in terms of overall activity, and I think part of the deal consists in having more exposure with ads too? You also have to consider that this will be good news for League sponsors overall.

Plus they'll outright will get more money, so they can afford low viewership while they rebuild the fan base.

someday

Oct 25, 2017
Good to hear. I know you can pause and it won't automatically jump you to live, which is nice.
Someone said on reddit that you can also rewind a few seconds during the live broadcast. These 2 features and the better bitrate already make this nicer for me. I also still have the YT app on my TV, whereas the twitch app disappeared last year.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I wonder if Merch will be sold at the Homestands. Would love to buy a bunch of the new Defiant stuff but USD conversion to CAD plus customs make ordering stuff from the US way too expensive.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We haven't had offical word on that, I'd wait till people get theirs to confirm quality. Fanatic has some involvement but might be just distribution.

Looks like you can see Fanatics inside of the jerseys, so that'd be my guess. Oh well

Guess since the new season starts in 2 weeks and it's not in the store no fans are wearing this stuff to the opening games lol

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
I like some of their players, but It's hard to like their management when they seem to treat players like currency.

They seem to be more interested in making money than actually competing.

Ditto for the Valiant, who at least have Packing10 as a coach. Not only do Boston not have Crusty anymore, they've got some real headscratchers when it comes to who they pursue

BeepBoop

Nov 24, 2019
Is anyone else down on Season 3 so far?

With the change to home games it is going to be impossible to watch like 2/3 of the Matches live
No cheering/emotes or weekly community cheer goals and such
No command center (with player views and all that)
No Token system set up
No prediction plugin built in
Like half of the camera Talent left

OP
OP
Solidsnakejej

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Not really, the only thing getting me down about it is the chance that the Chinese games will be moved, those were going to be incredibly hype homestands.

We're getting better casters in this year, a better desk with Custa and Reinforce, they meta is shaping up nicely with the latest ptr patch, homestands will be hype. Should be a fun year.

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

With the change to home games it is going to be impossible to watch like 2/3 of the Matches live
No Token system set up

Yea same. Doesn't help that most of my favorite players left the Valiant. But i'll still give it an honest shot.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada

No Token system set up

I'm more worried with the OWL being exclusively broadcast on YouTube Gaming, as I've had noting but scuffed streams or a lousy time running a decent stream session on that platform.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

No Token system set up

Your're assuming like half of this stuff. I'd be surprised if they abandoned all their initiatives with YT. Command Center was new for Twitch as well, and YT has done drops.

BeepBoop

Nov 24, 2019
Your're assuming like half of this stuff. I'd be surprised if they abandoned all their initiatives with YT. Command Center was new for Twitch as well, and YT has done drops.

Well the tweet by Pete above mentions that the drops/tokens are only being explored now, which likely means that they wont be there for the start of the season

I don't think Youtube even has any kind of plug-in system in stream do they? I've never seen one with one, though you could still do it on the OWL site likely, but that only helps if you watch it on the OWL site

Don't think the Command Center equivalent has ever been done on Youtube before and there is no indication there will be any equivalent so far?

Forgot to mention the No Clips thing too, if they disable the DVR feature, there will basically be no way to live share good plays or funny moments

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

No Token system set up

- Sure with the change to home games it is going to be impossible to watch every home game live - imagine now the possibility of those elsewhere in the world now for the first time being able to consistently being able to watch a game live. I am sure many people will be in the same boat and they will have a rolling catch up for people who miss it "live".

- The no cheering/command center or token is speculation. While the tweet from Pete sounds like it would not be in initially because of how late Activision signed on Youtube, i don't think the tokens will be far behind the start of the season and the command center will also not be too far behind either. The prdicition plug in i imagine will be a while off as i have not seen similar on youtube yet.

- Yes quite a bit of talent has left the full time roster but most have been open to return and likely will return if they are near a homestand and are available. Puckett is now based in NY and is already confirmed as a pick up to host the opening week NYXL homestand.

I felt down when talent started to leave but at the same time i remind myself how hype the homestands were last year and i am cautiously optimistic that this could be the best season of OWL yet but also weary that it could be the worst season as well. I don't think there will be any inbetween - it will be one or the other.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017

No Token system set up
Aside from Puckett and maybe Malik, we've lost nothing of value with the talent

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Aside from Puckett and maybe Malik, we've lost nothing of value with the talent
Also this - tbh while i did not mind Monte you could tell towards the end of last season that he was simply not interested any more and i found his casting quite dull in that back half - i would rather someone be there who wants to be there then not. Also i did not rate semmler or DOA very much at all so again from my view no big loss.

Puckett and Malik were the biggest losses but i think with reinforce coming back and custa joining the desk with Soe hosting, i think it will still be a great desk. Custa shows he has the chops on the recent plat chat episodes.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Well the tweet by Pete above mentions that the drops/tokens are only being explored now, which likely means that they wont be there for the start of the season

I don't think Youtube even has any kind of plug-in system in stream do they? I've never seen one with one, though you could still do it on the OWL site likely, but that only helps if you watch it on the OWL site

Don't think the Command Center equivalent has ever been done on Youtube before and there is no indication there will be any equivalent so far?

Forgot to mention the No Clips thing too, if they disable the DVR feature, there will basically be no way to live share good plays or funny moments

YT has done drops with Epic. But yeah, not sure about Command Center.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
I'm getting hyped with the patch changes, so much so I'm actually considering installing the game again.

Also, Surefour tweeted something really interested a few weeks ago about how we could see two completely separate metas develop with Pacific and Atlantic division teams scrimming with each other substantially less than during S1 and 2.

Plus, YouTube is a WAAAY better place to stream the matches, Twitch felt scuffed a lot of the times, at least for me.
P

Please don't go :(

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Although it pains me to say it, I have a feeling that YT will push YouTube Red (or whatever they call it these days) if you don't want ads. Mind you, I can't recall if there even were ads midstream during E3, but I don't think so... For sure there are ads during VODs but someone else will have to remind me if there were any for livestreams.

I'll raise this again, but I knew of OWL but never bothered checking it out until the Homestand format was revealed.. and I'm not the only one. The OWWC solidified that I was into the scene and the off season allowed me to catch up on everything I needed to be ready for season 3. This plus the partnership with YouTube will only make people check out the League more, the barrier of entry is gone for casual folks since they don't need to download Twitch on their phones to give OWL a shot. With Google's advertising, I figure anyone who watches games on YouTube will get ads about the league, which will bring more folks into the scene.

I strongly believe Homestands + YouTube will make the scene blow up for the more mainstream audience. Now whether this is a good thing or not, I'll let you decide.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This has been on the cards for the past couple of weeks and is indeed the right call to be making. Whether that means relocating the home stands or simply putting them on hold indefinitely until a later date, it is the right move.

A real shame if this does affect the Chinese honestands significantly but one of the realities that this model of competition can possibly face. I think it is safe to say that the Shanghai, Guangzhou and spark honestands in week 2, 3are most suspect to be relocated or cancelled.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This season was already a huge leap but goddamn everything's gonna be fucked because of the coronavirus. They're gonna have to shuffle the schedules around.

Edit: Oops, Era loaded the tweet posted above after I posted lol

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really hoping at the season opener at Rec Room they'll have jerseys for sale. Last year at the opener they had jerseys which in hindsight was the cheapest way to get them at the time ($60 CAD iirc and no shipping costs).