• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
WHAT AT THOSE LEAKS, AND THEY'RE REAL!?

I haven't followed OWL really at all, so I'm wondering how does someone get into it? How do you decide what teams you like?

My favorite sports team is the San Francisco 49ers so I was leaning towards rooting for San Francisco's team when they were announced. Once they signed Sinatraa (one of my favorite players after watching the 2017 World Cup), it was a lock.

The World Cup is where I really got into comp Overwatch, and it's coming up so I'd watch that and see which players stand out to you, then root for whatever team they're on.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
As a new Toronto fan catching up on the 2 previous seasons, anybody wanna give me a quick rundown on these players they just just picked up?

Also, with 2 of them being DPS, and another being Support, seems they still need quite a few Tanks to be added before the team is done spending money.

optimus8936

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being Dallas and not promoting any of the academy players they have available who are massive improvements over 2/3 of the team

nah let's trade for Custa instead

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
If that's not real their acting is so good going that well without a script or anything.

I think it's real lol.

Defiant seems mediocre, Valiant is the new Justice. LAG should be better now. Fuel lol.

OP
OP
Solidsnakejej

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
As a new Toronto fan catching up on the 2 previous seasons, anybody wanna give me a quick rundown on these players they just just picked up?

Also, with 2 of them being DPS, and another being Support, seems they still need quite a few Tanks to be added before the team is done spending money.

Surefour has been around the scene for a long time, one of the top western dps players, very flexible in what he can play.

Agilities like Surefour has been around for a long time, really good projectile player can be inconsistent at times

Both are Canadian's probably the biggest reason for them going to Toronto.

Kariv is very good friends with Agilities, solid flex support

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
I could believe Sideshow leaving the stream on by accident. It's such a Sideshow thing to do.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Defiant should get Note too then and I think Fuel could be looking at Meko. Fuel is throwing so much money. 240k for gamsu? holy shit. They could definitely get Meko.

I have a feeling they will also look at Janus and Ark. Aero really liked Janus' playstyle in season 1. Could be a good backup.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Sideshow pepega tier level streamer confirmed. Will be fun to watch Plat Chat and see them discuss the leaks that Sideshow made.

I think all those moves sound legit to me - i could see Agilities and Kariv going to another team together because they are close friends. I have seen S4 always leaving the glads, it was just up in the air where he would go. Custa trying to be picked back up again by the fuel was interesting. OGE also going from the fuel was not surprising.

Space going to LAG though is the one that threw me for a spin. I know he didn't get much play time in Stage 4 but considering he has literally i felt carried Valiant at times i think it is a huge loss for them that might not be so easily replaceable.

It all sounds plausible and most will likely go ahead but i could see some of these deals possibly going south before they are announced if there is backlash against them or simply because they were leaked (ala Fusions deal to Valiant leak in Stage 2).

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Surefour has been around the scene for a long time, one of the top western dps players, very flexible in what he can play.

Agilities like Surefour has been around for a long time, really good projectile player can be inconsistent at times

Both are Canadian's probably the biggest reason for them going to Toronto.

Kariv is very good friends with Agilities, solid flex support
Good stuff thanks for the overview! The World Cup will be a good chance for Mangachu, Abilities and Surefour to continue to develop their chemistry before the season starts and carry it into the regular season.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Gamehaus validating the sideshow, custa, Neptuno leak

• The Dallas Fuel were interested in trading Won-sik "Closer" Jung for Custa, but the (Los Angeles) Valiant were not interested because Closer was too expensive.
  • The Dallas Fuel have signed Young-jin "Gamsu" Noh from the Shanghai Dragons for a salary of $240,000, according to the video. Sources cannot confirm this exact number, but the deal itself is true, according to sources.
  • The Los Angeles Gladiators acquired Min-Seok "OGE" Son from the (Dallas) Fuel.
  • The (LA) Glads also are reportedly signing Indy "SPACE" Halpern from the Los Angeles Valiant for a large sum of money.
  • The (LA) Valiant are, according to the video, opting to go for a lower budget team in 2020, allegedly not paying any single player over $50,000-$60,000. Sources, however, cannot confirm these exact numbers.
  • The Toronto Defiant have signed Brady "Agilities" Girardi and Young-Seo "Kariv" Park from the Los Angeles Valiant.
  • The (Toronto) Defiant have also signed Lane "Surefour" Roberts from the (Los Angeles) Gladiators.
  • The (Toronto) Defiant, according to the video, did not trial neptuNo due to their fear of his toxicity. This is also not confirmed by sources, only by what was said in the video

WE STANNING TORONTO NOW BOYS, PACK IT UP, WE'RE GOING UP NORTH.

No, but seriously, S4 was the only reason I became a Gladiators fan. But I'm gonna stick by them while having a soft spot for Toronto now. Space is a massive pickup, still uncertain about OGE.

Space going to LAG though is the one that threw me for a spin. I know he didn't get much play time in Stage 4 but considering he has literally i felt carried Valiant at times i think it is a huge loss for them that might not be so easily replaceable.

Probably wants an actual decent contract instead of the pennies Valiant is reportedly paying

Last edited:

someday

Oct 25, 2017
So Toronto will now have Surefour, Agilities, Kariv, Fragi and Bishu? If this sticks, they're in my new top 3 favorite teams.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Probably wants an actual decent contract instead of the pennies Valiant is reportedly paying

Absolutely - while i think they were paying him more season just gone i am sure if the Valiant leak is true it is likely he would have been asked to take a pay cut and likely would have noped out and see what other offers were out there as a free agent.

So Toronto will now have Surefour, Agilities, Kariv, Fragi and Bishu? If this sticks, they're in my new top 3 favorite teams.

I support Glads and my wife supports Valiant. Toronto is now both of our second favourite teams. (It also helps i am a big fan of Kariv but i never tell my wife that).

Also the rumour going around that a lot of teams are going lean and trying to make economic choices rather than splash the cash seems to be right - i expect a lot of uncertainty in some of the smaller teams about cost of travel, housing and holding homestands will have on the organisations. I mean for some of the powerhouse teams this will be a boon but i could see potentially some teams starting to struggle to sell tickets and struggle financially sending/housing players/coaches/support staff around the world for 1/2 the year.

We could possibly see some big players caught in a bit of a limbo going into Stage 1 of Season 3 of being let go by their Season 2 team because they command a high price and with only a possibly small number of teams have the financial capital to pick them up.

Last edited:

someday

Oct 25, 2017
No it doesn't, I have heard nothing of Fragi and Bischu going to Toronto and I've been following all the off-season news pretty darn closely
Lol, I forgot that it was the Charge that has Fragi and Bishu, not Toronto. I don't know what I was thinking with that. Sorry.

For what it's worth, I still like Toronto for next year.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I forgot that it was the Charge that has Fragi and Bishu, not Toronto. I don't know what I was thinking with that. Sorry.

For what it's worth, I still like Toronto for next year.
Man you got me all excited. Obviously I'm happy with the deluge of actual Canadians on Toronto but Fragi/Bischu would've put me over the top

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
God damn, just saw Sideshow's video. All three fucked up for real.
I know they say is true, but fucking hell, it's just so...

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
From what I'm reading... In terms of NBA talk isn't kinda like Toronto is putting together a superteam? How does it work in terms of financials for balancing teams? Is there some sort of salary cap teams have to adhere to, or is it unregulated (which means bigger markets can easily sweep up all the talent)?

OP
OP
Solidsnakejej

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
From what I'm reading... In terms of NBA talk isn't kinda like Toronto is putting together a superteam? How does it work in terms of financials for balancing teams? Is there some sort of salary cap teams have to adhere to, or is it unregulated (which means bigger markets can easily sweep up all the talent)?

No salary cap but unlike NBA there isn't a clear top 15-20 superstars that you build a team around, there's not a large variance in talent, there's enough talent to go around so there wouldn't be a superteam. With the talent out there you can have 8-10 teams who can easily compete.

Also it doesn't always work out getting the best teams with meta changes and players not working out, Dallas Fuel and Seoul Dynasty are 2 examples of paying for great players/teams but ultimately failing in season 1. Fuel is formerly Team EnVyus who were able to go into Korean and when the first Apex champion(Korean's main competitive tournament of OW before OWL), The added Seagull and xQc to the roster, 2 well regarded talents. xQc their starting main tank kept getting into trouble and suspended while their other main tank wasn't good enough to play at a OWL level. Dynasty which was made up of mainly Lunatic-Hai players who won 2 Apex champions finished 8 out of 12 teams in Season 1 of OWL.

Teams need to find players that work well together and flexible to adapt to the meta. Take Washington Justice this year, they recruited thinking Goats would be dead by the time the season started and built a team around a 2-2-2 roster, their player were unable to adapt to Goats heroes and the team fail badly until the change to 2-2-2 when they became incredibly good.

There are more variables at play then most sports and its hard to nail down what can make a roster work.

I wouldn't call Toronto a superteam based on DPS, capable DPS are fairly easy to find, tanks and supports on the other hand thats the challenge. Tanks are the most import part of a team and there are far fewer of them then DPS.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
No salary cap but unlike NBA there isn't a clear top 15-20 superstars that you build a team around, there's not a large variance in talent, there's enough talent to go around so there wouldn't be a superteam. With the talent out there you can have 8-10 teams who can easily compete.

Also it doesn't always work out getting the best teams with meta changes and players not working out, Dallas Fuel and Seoul Dynasty are 2 examples of paying for great players/teams but ultimately failing in season 1. Fuel is formerly Team EnVyus who were able to go into Korean and when the first Apex champion(Korean's main competitive tournament of OW before OWL), The added Seagull and xQc to the roster, 2 well regarded talents. xQc their starting main tank kept getting into trouble and suspended while their other main tank wasn't good enough to play at a OWL level. Dynasty which was made up of mainly Lunatic-Hai players who won 2 Apex champions finished 8 out of 12 teams in Season 1 of OWL.

Teams need to find players that work well together and flexible to adapt to the meta. Take Washington Justice this year, they recruited thinking Goats would be dead by the time the season started and built a team around a 2-2-2 roster, their player were unable to adapt to Goats heroes and the team fail badly until the change to 2-2-2 when they became incredibly good.

There are more variables at play then most sports and its hard to nail down what can make a roster work.

I wouldn't call Toronto a superteam based on DPS, capable DPS are fairly easy to find, tanks and supports on the other hand thats the challenge. Tanks are the most import part of a team and there are far fewer of them then DPS.
Gotcha. So pretty much, although Toronto is acquiring solid talent, it isn't enough to say they will work well enough together - which is understandable.

As for the tanks and supports being the most important pieces, that too makes sense. Tanks decide the pace of the match and really are the ones who can protect the other players, with support being the ones who can maximize everyone's damage and/or keep them in the game.

Meta changes too like you pointed out could play a big part. I read all about the "plague" of GOATS and I could see how teams could not survive or adapt to it.

This is all pretty interesting stuff and very insightful. Makes me excited for the season to start again so I can actually begin following these matches

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Man, with all the people Toronto are picking up, I may have to low-key root for them next season.
Same. I want my boys in blue to do well, and I'm still going to be an ATL fan, what with their relatively cemented roster, but Toronto is looking like the super team it should've been all along.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hahaha, holy shit. Toronto straight up outbid Houston for Nevix? Good for him, it'll be a good spot for him.

The former San Francisco off-tank was reportedly also being pursued by the Houston Outlaws, however, they were unable to compete with the Defiant's offer and were subsequently unable to sign him. Sources could not confirm the exact details of either of the offers, just that the Outlaws were unable to afford Nevix for one reason or another.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Tfw when fusion is probably going full Korean.

Can't wait for the entire league to follow suit come 2021.

I've yet to see other national teams getting big sponsors like this, so it's kinda pog.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Yo, this thread got wild.

I love Gamsu but him going to Dallas is a real bummer.

As a Defiant fan from this past season, I knew they'd be one of the teams making the bigger changes but still this is crazy. Really good pickups for them that should no doubt be big for them.

I gotta lol a little at Glads fans who might now look at Outlaws and Defiant because of Hydration and Surefour.

Boston just let go of what, most of their roster.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Well shit, the reason I got into Philly is gone.
This off-season has has so many players going nowhere (for now).

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Poor Gamsu, he really can't catch a break. From Uprising to Dragons to now Fuel, he's always dumped onto the garbage fire teams.