• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
USA FINALLY DID IT

Well played by China once again. Wouldn't be surprised to see them there again next year.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
big fan of space, been watching his stream a long time, never hear about him much in OWL, glad he was able to shine at OWWC =)

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The first competitive Overwatch I saw was the 2017 World cup and I became a fan of Sinatraa then. So happy to see him finally get the gold.

Corey was the MVP of the World Cup, Space was the MVP of the finals, both were amazing.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
~4 months till tier 2+ plus OW competition

897.gif

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to team USA. Gonna miss watching OW until S3. Game is starting to become like Dota 2 for me, more fun to watch than play XD

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
World Cup was a very fun watch for a first time viewer! Over the past couple months I studied the game and league quite a lot on "paper" as my interest in eSports grew, I even watched footage of previous years, but the hype during those live moments is just as intense as it is in a sport like Basketball and the NBA.

Was disappointed with Canada, this being the first WC I tune into and all. I went in with high expectations based on the results of the previous years, but I guess a mix of unpreparedness, xQc being out for the first match and the overall current meta broke the team apart. There were some cool flashes of what seemed to be well coordinated strats in the middle of all that chaos, but that wasn't enough to win against the other teams that came to win it all. Still, I hope to see great things out of the Canada DPS lineup for the Defiant when the season starts. Let this be extra motivation for the upcoming season.

As for the USA, they were a powerhouse that almost got the gold medal with 0 losses, which is pretty impressive. I too thought Corey deserved the MVP award, but when I realized it is voted by fans I knew it was going to be a popularity contest

OP
OP
Solidsnakejej

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
I remember Jayne was trying to set up a tournament during the off time for contenders teams, wonder if that'll plan out

This flew under the radar it seems. Wonder which cities will get a team on S4

Busan Runaway, That brand is too hot not to bring up to OWL and Runner done with military service they'll have a year to get backing. Hopefully fill out some other nations like Australia, South america, Africa, Europe.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
World Cup was a very fun watch for a first time viewer! Over the past couple months I studied the game and league quite a lot on "paper" as my interest in eSports grew, I even watched footage of previous years, but the hype during those live moments is just as intense as it is in a sport like Basketball and the NBA.

Was disappointed with Canada, this being the first WC I tune into and all. I went in with high expectations based on the results of the previous years, but I guess a mix of unpreparedness, xQc being out for the first match and the overall current meta broke the team apart. There were some cool flashes of what seemed to be well coordinated strats in the middle of all that chaos, but that wasn't enough to win against the other teams that came to win it all. Still, I hope to see great things out of the Canada DPS lineup for the Defiant when the season starts. Let this be extra motivation for the upcoming season.

As for the USA, they were a powerhouse that almost got the gold medal with 0 losses, which is pretty impressive. I too thought Corey deserved the MVP award, but when I realized it is voted by fans I knew it was going to be a popularity contest

Awesome to see new folks getting into it. The World Cup is where I started watching competitive OW too, it's a great way for folks to get introduced to a lot of players.

someday

Oct 25, 2017
Busan Runaway, That brand is too hot not to bring up to OWL and Runner done with military service they'll have a year to get backing. Hopefully fill out some other nations like Australia, South america, Africa, Europe.
I agree with all of this. Seems like Korea needs another team since they only have one but I'd love for OWL to expand to other areas.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
This flew under the radar it seems. Wonder which cities will get a team on S4

(Assuming OW is successful enough to merit it) I think this is only a short-term goal for their current League system. I think that they'll blow (way) past this number given enough time and the opportunity if they can swing restructuring to a more regional setup than what we have now between Pacific vs. Atlantic. All speculation of course. As to what I'd like to see in their 2nd wave of expansion:

1) A second Korean team to offset the Seoul effect, so Busan
2) A Chicago team so that Midwesterners can shut up and we can write off any more US teams
3) An Australian team to cover and promote ANZAC OW
4) A team that represents Pacific Contenders. Bangkok? I'd go for Jakarta but Indonesia's OW scene seems nonexistent
5) A Mexico City team to represent and promote Latin American OW
6) A second LatAm team based in SA for the same reason as #5. I guess Sao Paulo, but I can already feel the Paris Eternal 2.0 coming with claims of being the big rep for SA but favoring Brazilians brazenly
7) A Northern European representative; Stockholm, Helsinki, Copenhagen are all good by me and this'd reflect the importance of the region to OW
8) A 4th EU team. I'm torn between Germany, a Benelux city, a Swiss/Italian city, or just saying fuck it and giving it to Helsinki. Helsinki would have been my default choice but by god did Finland fuck up this year in World Cup

Most importantly of all, don't add expansion teams in places that are suspect like China, Russia, or Saudi Arabia. Please Blizzard, learn your fucking lesson

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Awesome to see new folks getting into it. The World Cup is where I started watching competitive OW too, it's a great way for folks to get introduced to a lot of players.
I've been following the Defiant moves in the off season quite closely, but not having had the chance to watch a team I root for play live I was still hesitant about whether or not OWL was for me. WC definitely solidified that not only do I enjoy the league, but that the time I spent reading and studying helped me to actually follow the action quite well. One of the things that seemed so daunting a couple months ago, over time thanks to a lot of reading and watching of highlights from the previous seasons helped a lot. I'm obviously not as caught up as someone who's been watching since the beginning, but I feel like I'm in a good place to not be lost anymore. WC definitely helped to put faces behind names and teams.

On a side note I've made sure to secure myself a ticket for the first Homestand in Toronto, and now I can't wait for the regular season to start :P I've been quite impressed by just how massive the esports scene is here. Should be a good time!

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
(Assuming OW is successful enough to merit it) I think this is only a short-term goal for their current League system. I think that they'll blow (way) past this number given enough time and the opportunity if they can swing restructuring to a more regional setup than what we have now between Pacific vs. Atlantic. All speculation of course. As to what I'd like to see in their 2nd wave of expansion:

1) A second Korean team to offset the Seoul effect, so Busan
2) A Chicago team so that Midwesterners can shut up and we can write off any more US teams
3) An Australian team to cover and promote ANZAC OW
4) A team that represents Pacific Contenders. Bangkok? I'd go for Jakarta but Indonesia's OW scene seems nonexistent
6) A second LatAm team based in SA for the same reason as #5. I guess Sao Paulo, but I can already feel the Paris Eternal 2.0 coming with claims of being the big rep for SA but favoring Brazilians brazenly
7) A Northern European representative; Stockholm, Helsinki, Copenhagen are all good by me and this'd reflect the importance of the region to OW
8) A 4th EU team. I'm torn between Germany, a Benelux city, a Swiss/Italian city, or just saying fuck it and giving it to Helsinki. Helsinki would have been my default choice but by god did Finland fuck up this year in World Cup

Most importantly of all, don't add expansion teams in places that are suspect like China, Russia, or Saudi Arabia. Please Blizzard, learn your fucking lesson
As much as I'd like to see a Detroit team, I can get behind this. Really hope players on Denmark and Netherlands become noticed for potential new teams when the chance arrives. Curious to see how those rosters will look.

I've been following the Defiant moves in the off season quite closely, but not having had the chance to watch a team I root for play live I was still hesitant about whether or not OWL was for me. WC definitely solidified that not only do I enjoy the league, but that the time I spent reading and studying helped me to actually follow the action quite well. One of the things that seemed so daunting a couple months ago, over time thanks to a lot of reading and watching of highlights from the previous seasons helped a lot. I'm obviously not as caught up as someone who's been watching since the beginning, but I feel like I'm in a good place to not be lost anymore. WC definitely helped to put faces behind names and teams.

On a side note I've made sure to secure myself a ticket for the first Homestand in Toronto, and now I can't wait for the regular season to start :P I've been quite impressed by just how massive the esports scene is here. Should be a good time!
Always happy to see new people show up and enjoy this with us and there's no better way to get introduced than the WC.

OP
OP
Solidsnakejej

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
No no no. It depends on the meta. And this meta is heavily dependent on your Doomfist killing everyone.

It depends on the meta and adapting, Sinatraa wasn't a fulltime starter throughout the season while Choi and Moth were, and Choi had to learn a new character in a month for playoffs and became the best at him, Sinatraa has always had a solid doom. It was often the better Sigma that won out in playoffs, that was why Atlanta won the first playoff match because Gator outclassed Choi, then Choi came back stronger then anyone.

The one thing I kept seeing in playoffs was inconsistent play with and around Sigma, There are plenty of good Dooms out there but Sigma made the difference, reason why I'm annoyed that Sigma was allowed in playoffs.

Sigma does to much, how often were big plays set up by Sigma's abilitys, Halt+Accretion to hinder Pharmacy, Kinetic grasps eating Reaper/Mei ults, Shields that force Doom, Reaper,Mei dps comps, holding a key defensive ult for flux just so you can survive. This meta revolves around Sigma.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
I remember Jayne was trying to set up a tournament during the off time for contenders teams, wonder if that'll plan out

Man, an official OWL Runaway team with Runner managing it years after Bumper/Stitch/Haksal had left Runaway would make me depressed

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I think having a mexico team would have the same effect of having a brazilian team, mexico is still north america and brazil is still the odd one out in the continent due to cultural reasons lol. Only way to fix that would be if the teams had no home cities... one of the coolest thing about Fury was their roster having folks from all region after all... Any city in LATAM will have the Paris effect, it's a bunch of very different countries with their regional rivalries fighting for one or two spots in the league...

But honestly I think we won't get any SA team, with how the economy is going and the lack of investors on the region, we'd need a foreign investor buying a SA franchise name so they maybe make success around here... and after last season added 4 chinese teams i think they'd rather choose a city from somewhere else =_=.

I guess mexico has a chance at least but idk much about the scene there...

And yeah i sorta didn't include central america but the market there is pretty small, i do think it'd be a safe choice in terms of regional rivalries but there's always the risk the rest of the continent won't bother with that because it'd be too much of an oddball*shrug*

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
I think having a mexico team would have the same effect of having a brazilian team, mexico is still north america and brazil is still the odd one out in the continent due to cultural reasons lol. Only way to fix that would be if the teams had no home cities... one of the coolest thing about Fury was their roster having folks from all region after all... Any city in LATAM will have the Paris effect, it's a bunch of very different countries with their regional rivalries fighting for one or two spots in the league...

But honestly I think we won't get any SA team, with how the economy is going and the lack of investors on the region, we'd need a foreign investor buying a SA franchise name so they maybe make success around here... and after last season added 4 chinese teams i think they'd rather choose a city from somewhere else =_=.

I guess mexico has a chance at least but idk much about the scene there...

And yeah i sorta didn't include central america but the market there is pretty small, i do think it'd be a safe choice in terms of regional rivalries but there's always the risk the rest of the continent won't bother with that because it'd be too much of an oddball*shrug*

How would a Mexico team have the same effect as a Brazilian team? I chose Mexico for being a large market, always showing up to WC, and having minimal beef with its neighbors and a low barrier to entry for other Hispanics to root for, ie this is the best we got, may as well root for them. You can see a similar phenomena going on during the FIFA World Cup among people who don't follow soccer closely and aren't attached to individual players. The only county Mexico has a bad relationship to the best of my knowledge is Guatemala. On the other hand, Brazil. Beef, rivalries, etc. with most of its immediate neighbors be it historical, sports, etc. Language barrier locking you down to Brazil. And unlike France, Brazil's way bigger and more populous that its neighbors, demographically dwarfing them. This makes the Paris Effect not just expected and even reasonable, but also likely. Which is why I'm less than enthusiastic about having the only SA rep be a Brazilian city that claims to rep LatAm/SA and having the rest of the world lap it up and believe it.

The ideal longterm scenario to minimize inter-LatAm bitching would be to hit all the major regional hubs. Mexico City, Bogota, Lima, Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, and a second Brazilian team although Rio's too close to Sao Paulo for my tastes in trying to cover wide regions. But then the north of Brazil is way less populated so 🤷‍♂️

I'd agree that Mexico has the best chance. I'd think it's less an economy issue and more 'Would there be interested parties that have the cash to afford it'. Mexico sits at the top of my list for non-Western states that could, and top of my LatAm list. The bigger issue would be that I don't think the scene is big enough in Mexico that there's a clear line of communication between a potential investor and the OW scene.The only big Spanish speaker that I can think of who fits the bill is Flame, and he's tied down by the Outlaws. You'd need either a OWL-savvy investor or an incredibly enthused investor just starting in esports from Mexico willing to go on a limb and make contact with non-Spanish speaking talent to get it started. It's either that or you go for the London approach where an American investor chooses a foreign location

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
I have a thing or two to say about a Latam based team but I'll refrain cause apparently I'm always mean spirited when talking about it so I'll just leave this here.

Edith: this fucking sucks, Blizzard should, but probably won't, feel ashamed.

Last edited:

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
I have a thing or two to say about a Latam based team but I'll refrain cause apparently I'm always mean spirited when talking about it so I'll just leave this here.

Edith: this fucking sucks, Blizzard should, but probably won't, feel ashamed.

But I wanna hear your take :(
I'm happy for Kellex though, he got grief for making plays that enabled Boston to clutch the unclutchable in S1 and performed fine individually in S2. World Cup was a good showcase of how good he is sans Boston's baggage.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Toronto does still need a main support so getting him would make sense. He isn't Canadian, but it does fit with the idea that the team's roster is pretty largely Western now.

With only 12 days until the minimum 8 player signing deadline and only 6 players currently "officially" signed, we should expect the Defiant to probably extend this as long as possible for the hype lol. Next announcement will likely be Nevix next week, with Surefour probably being the last, close to the deadline. After that they will probably go after a Support player like Keller, and maybe another Tank?

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
How would a Mexico team have the same effect as a Brazilian team? I chose Mexico for being a large market, always showing up to WC, and having minimal beef with its neighbors and a low barrier to entry for other Hispanics to root for, ie this is the best we got, may as well root for them. You can see a similar phenomena going on during the FIFA World Cup among people who don't follow soccer closely and aren't attached to individual players. The only county Mexico has a bad relationship to the best of my knowledge is Guatemala. On the other hand, Brazil. Beef, rivalries, etc. with most of its immediate neighbors be it historical, sports, etc. Language barrier locking you down to Brazil. And unlike France, Brazil's way bigger and more populous that its neighbors, demographically dwarfing them. This makes the Paris Effect not just expected and even reasonable, but also likely. Which is why I'm less than enthusiastic about having the only SA rep be a Brazilian city that claims to rep LatAm/SA and having the rest of the world lap it up and believe it.

The ideal longterm scenario to minimize inter-LatAm bitching would be to hit all the major regional hubs. Mexico City, Bogota, Lima, Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, and a second Brazilian team although Rio's too close to Sao Paulo for my tastes in trying to cover wide regions. But then the north of Brazil is way less populated so 🤷‍♂️

I'd agree that Mexico has the best chance. I'd think it's less an economy issue and more 'Would there be interested parties that have the cash to afford it'. Mexico sits at the top of my list for non-Western states that could, and top of my LatAm list. The bigger issue would be that I don't think the scene is big enough in Mexico that there's a clear line of communication between a potential investor and the OW scene.The only big Spanish speaker that I can think of who fits the bill is Flame, and he's tied down by the Outlaws. You'd need either a OWL-savvy investor or an incredibly enthused investor just starting in esports from Mexico willing to go on a limb and make contact with non-Spanish speaking talent to get it started. It's either that or you go for the London approach where an American investor chooses a foreign location
Honestly, Mexico is the most neutral option because it wouldn't even count as somewhere from the region in most cases >_> it's too far up north to make trouble with SA countries so while it'd be nice to have a Latam team it isn't the same as outright picking a SA team, but SA... Pick Argentina and you'll get a lot of countries bitching, specially Brazil, pick only Brazil and you get the best commercial option after mexico but at least half the region gonna hate you, pick any other country and you'll get small regional bickering, it's not because most countries speak spanish that they'll all get along well, SA is like a huge family of sibilings .-. You can't really solve that problem with 4 spread out teams because no one is even crazy enough to invest in here...

When the s1-3 champions of SA contenders just all retire from the game that can't be a good sign xO i feel like last year was the chance to invest on the region yknow :/?

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
oh, i see. i don't really pay much attention to contract/trade/ranking stuff, mostly just watch the OWL broadcast, and he never really has a chance to shine there.

Last edited:

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
I'm definitely excited for the OGE/Space tank line next year. S4 is one of my favorite players so it sucks to lose him, but OGE and Space are 2 of my favorites so I'll live with it.

Happy Team USA finally got it done! Corey was robbed, but shoutout to Sinatraa for an incredible year of accolades.

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Space was a huge reason Valiant won Stage 4 and finished 2nd overall in season 1. That OGE/Space lineup is gonna be insane I reckon. I remember watching them roll when they would duo queue on ranked.