• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
It's not an upfront price tag

It's still a $20+ million commitment. I don't think there is anything remotely comparable in the scene, it's atl east an order of magnitude more expensive than other leagues.

Also the league has been overperforming for this season at least. They were expecting 30-50k daily.

Which also baffles me. They were selling the idea on ~50k viewers on Twitch (+ whatever on MLG and whatever equivalent in China)?

Esports isn't that young. It's been a thing since the early Quakecons and stuff like the old ass WCG was already treading the ground right now. This here now is actually a renaissance following the explosion of the Broodwar scene in the West continuing with the Korean scene. Broodwar Korea was fucking insane, and it set the benchmark for what's to come.

That's still maybe 20 years and most of that being terrible all around. MLG was floundering enough to that they got bought out by Blizzard too.

As someone that watches OWL, it still seems like an emperor's new clothes situation but that would be too dumb.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly though 20 million for soccer leagues isn't that crazy for them. They spend that much on a single player lol.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's still maybe 20 years and most of that being terrible all around. MLG was floundering enough to that they got bought out by Blizzard too.

As someone that watches OWL, it still seems like an emperor's new clothes situation but that would be too dumb.

The old scene died because the audience stagnated and the technology wasn't there to create a fluid broadcast like it's common now. This shit used to be audio only, or replay downloads, or Evo DVDs. Like I said, Broodwar Korea is the benchmark. It has already happened. Esports has been proven to reach critical mass. Whatever you may think of the production and styling, it's all an ever evolving process. You may not choose to believe it but the OWL is a giant leap ahead in terms of production even above LoL standards. Things are moving upwards.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Honestly though 20 million for soccer leagues isn't that crazy for them. They spend that much on a single player lol.

Yeah, it's basically pocket change for almost every top team in Europe at this point.

http://www./sport/esports/article-5...ooking-football-clubs-new-teams-Season-2.html

I don't know if they're still planning to, but a London team was already looking to host the Spitfire for next season
http://www./sport/esports/article-5...-London-Spitfire-play-Spurs-750m-stadium.html

optimus8936

Oct 25, 2017
The Hastro AMA is going on Reddit right now and it's basically helping me confirm that he's the actual problem and not KyKy

Too bad Reddit had to pitchfork KyKy to death

Monte on watchpoint last night was on point about this stuff

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is OWL doing that well that they'll actually get more people to pay the 20 million buy in just to own a team? It seems crazy that anyone did it in the first place considering how much Blizzard controls the league and how nascent the esports market is compared to other markets. It's only going to get more volatile when teams move out of LA and have to travel around too.

It's just money. Even if you lose the whole 20 million, who cares?
Just a number and tax benefit.

This is how risk investors think ;)

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
well yeah they signed players without telling the team, of course shit imploded. I felt envy players were getting it together near end of stage 1 and they came out and crushed GLA with Taimou on DPS and no Effect but then everything went to shit with new signings. I think they were recovering.

At least sounds like he's trying to fix these issues but yeah. KyKy made some big mistakes overall but he couldn't possibly fuck up the team as much as those issues did.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
It's still a $20+ million commitment. I don't think there is anything remotely comparable in the scene, it's atl east an order of magnitude more expensive than other leagues.

$X million over Y years is probably standard operating costs of an entertainment company. Like, these investors are rich. They are running companies and teams of their own. Their OWL teams are likely just a side investment.

optimus8936

Oct 25, 2017
I can basically sum up that Hastro AMA in one sentence

"Our failure is everyone else's fault and when I told them to play xQc, they won 2 games so I'm cool and my team is trash"

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
The Hastro AMA is going on Reddit right now and it's basically helping me confirm that he's the actual problem and not KyKy

Too bad Reddit had to pitchfork KyKy to death

Monte on watchpoint last night was on point about this stuff

The two positives I got is that the mood seems better(?) after the recent changes, and that we would see more of Seagull.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
i mean playing game to practice then actual competition you gotta have a lot of stamina/energy/focus to even do good
It was a joke, i know how esports are >_>, tbh mickie has a huge edge by keeping himself healthy like this, it's good for stamina, I wonder if some teams save time for physical activity... Idk I see it like how it was for soccer when things were starting up, some teams would do warm ups and some not and the warmed up team got some 8-0 wins because no one else thought of that lol
Just imagine a fully healthy e-sports crew doing daily exercises to prevent burnout and pulse injuries o- o (though iirc fuel has this and hasn't improved that much because of external factors, so imagine a good team doing that lol)

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
It was a joke, i know how esports are >_>, tbh mickie has a huge edge by keeping himself healthy like this, it's good for stamina, I wonder if some teams save time for physical activity... Idk I see it like how it was for soccer when things were starting up, some teams would do warm ups and some not and the warmed up team got some 8-0 wins because no one else thought of that lol
Just imagine a fully healthy e-sports crew doing daily exercises to prevent burnout and pulse injuries o- o (though iirc fuel has this and hasn't improved that much because of external factors, so imagine a good team doing that lol)
rice is a good source of fuel.
hes jacked because how hard he has to carry the team.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
OWL Blowup Tuesday presented by the Dallas Fuel.

It's like this keeps happening

Edit: All this happened yesterday? Jeez

optimus8936

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how we are this far into OWL and I'm still seeing people complain about London and NY being all korean and asking for region locking lol

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Xqc in oversight chat pretty much saying that Dallas's main problem IS the NV core.

h8zd0aya7ls01.jpg

Regarding his previous comments about rascal's babyrages

acDeAZ4.png

sGdZBO5.png

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuckin' Rascal is amazing. When everyone was trashing on him, Rascal comes out with the most mature statement in this mess, with huge fan support for his new streams and a bright future. He was team captain of KDP and respected by other korean pros, with no scandals. I hope he gets reunited with "BIRDRING!" one day...

Yo XQC's comments on the stream.

Effect might have actually been talking about Rascal AND Kyky and could be serious about leaving. He used to ragequit in APEX too, so he might just Babyrage out. If Effect was not the hard carry like Rascal couldn't be, then I'd bet money on Dallas/ENVYUS releasing him.

Read XQC's comments linked through imgur by the commenter here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiv...xqc_on_how_the_dallas_fuel_unraveled/dxjt8f7/

Edit: And Kyky may not have been the best 'coach' coach but not a single person in this mess has badmouth him, not XQC, Rascal, etc. Even when criticising coaching decisions. He must have been a good friend to them all. Most of comp OW and even me are guilty of thinking bad about him. Damn.

Cappa

Oct 25, 2017
Rascals Q&A basically confirmed what I said a few pages back. He apologizes and gives reasons as to why he acted how he did. Admits to not being the best teammate.

Like I said, Im a huge fan of Rascal and a sub of his Twitch channel. Glad he realizes his mistakes and will look to improve them in the future.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Combined with what xqc said though, like, is it a rascal problem or is it that envyus actually needs someone like him?

Because it sounds to me like it's more of a problem of Dallas settling into a sense of complacency and entitlement that they so very clearly do not deserve.

Remember why talespin left? Here's a quote from him.
"I felt like the effort I put into the team wasn't being matched by certain people. For example, it was very difficult staying motivated when you're sitting there for hours going over maps and strategy and you realize you've been talking to yourself and maybe one or two others chiming in occasionally while everyone else is "listening". I also had some issues with a some irresponsible behavior that happened fairly often but I won't go into that.

Sounds familiar?

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
I love the smell of FRESH DRAMA in the morning.

More than anything, I am impressed by xQc's analysis in those chat logs. This guy has so much potential, if only he got signed with Danteh or Space together and they helped him control his behavior.

Combined with what xqc said though, like, is it a rascal problem or is it that envyus actually needs someone like him?

Because it sounds to me like it's more of a problem of Dallas settling into a sense of complacency and entitlement that they so very clearly do not deserve.

Remember why talespin left? Here's a quote from him.

Sounds familiar?

The kick in the butt in Stage 1 should have been more than enough to wake them up. I think Akm and Unkoe are the type of players who would not enable complacency behavior

Cappa

Oct 25, 2017
xQcs behavior isn't even that bad I mean just look at professional sports Dennis Rodman, Ron Artest, Mario Balotelli, Samir Nasri etc etc etc all those guys never got banned from their respective league for life or even got cut from a team and they did much much worse things.

I think xqc was unfortunately used as an example and got screwed. Don't get me wrong I'm not condoning his behavior at all but let's not make xqc out to be like the worst p.o.s. In the world when there are people like dreamkazper out there.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
xQcs behavior isn't even that bad I mean just look at professional sports Dennis Rodman, Ron Artest, Mario Balotelli, Samir Nasri etc etc etc all those guys never got banned from their respective league for life or even got cut from a team and they did much much worse things.
I'm glad our league is being held to a much higher standard in that case.