• We are delighted to introduce GiftBot 2.0, the next generation of our popular gifting feature. To celebrate, we'll be giving away some incredible prizes over the coming weeks in one big Giveaway Extravaganza!

Overwatch |OT2-2-2| Role With It

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
The role queue is what's going to pull me back into comp, tbh. I've had a rough few seasons because of those insta locks who refuse to fill the roles we really need to win. I main heals so I feel this.
Yeah once role queue was announced I stopped playing comp because games in Diamond are not very fun atm. I can only imagine its worse in Plat/Gold.

Everyone wants to play DPS and pop off on their way to Masters, when in reality I lose most games because people refuse to work together or pick a comp that has any sort of synergy.

2/2/2 brings my friends and I back to OW in a big way.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
My fear is I'll be playin 2 2 2 V a Hanzo and Ashe or Widow and we'll get Hog and Zarya.

I should try to stay positive.
I would be scared of this as well, because too many Plat "tank" players are actually DPS wannabes with how often I see that Hog/Zarya combination, but I plan on focusing most of my ranked efforts into climbing as a main tank! Definitely gonna be a concern when I try to rank up as support and DPS, though.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia Beach
Just switched over from console to pc so I'm grinding my way up to level 25 so that I can jump into ranked as soon as 2-2-2 drops. Been really focusing on Ana since she seems to be popular right now and I really enjoy playing her.

KillstealWolf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
5-5 for the overall season with a 2457 ranking to end it. Of the 4 games where it felt my role had a direct impact on the match (Aka there weren't complete steam-rolls in one direction or the other). 3 were wins and only 1 was a loss on Horizon Lunar Colony, Baptiste and Orisa proved useful this season. With a bit of Bastion on the side as well.

I grow tired of people that insta-lock the Widowmaker though, and then I proceed to not get Infasights for most of the match. Heck, I'd take a Hanzo over Widow because at least Hanzo has some good close quarter stuff and will remember to stand behind a shield every once in awhile.

BriareosGAF

Oct 28, 2017
Two+ snipers and no shield was the experience this morning, not much fun. More chance of a proper setup in Mystery Heroes...

Chance

Nov 22, 2017
Games are crazy lately but idk why everyone's so down on it. This is like 6 Meis and endless ice puns in voice during the last week before hero limits. It's 2 Winstons 2 Lucios 2 Tracers - it's a final hurrah of craziness before Blizzard narrows Overwatch down in the biggest way since literally ever. It's the end of the world as we know it.

This is Overwatch Mardi Gras and I for one am gonna' be out there scorin' beads. Mad beads.

OP
OP
Dead Prince

Dead Prince

Oct 25, 2017
played sigma for the first time. no. not for me. i rather orisa lol. its probably due to the shield management and having to cancel it to recharge. or not realize its still down when i need it.

also 1v2 a sigma and reaper on payload as rein. it was like 2m away from last point. idk how but when sigma ulted reaper went on the flank and sig wasn't even contesting anymore so i pushed it through lol

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing makes me want to flex to support less than 5 other DPS spamming I NEED HEALING as they fan off to 5 separate areas of the map. On attack. Through a choke.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As a Hammond main I cant wait to embrace the Role Queue. I will just rofl if people waste those precious DPS slots with Sombra or Mei just to counter me while I keep smashing their healers and pushing their tanks off cliffs.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
As a Hammond main I cant wait to embrace the Role Queue. I will just rofl if people waste those precious DPS slots with Sombra or Mei just to counter me while I keep smashing their healers and pushing their tanks off cliffs.
Mei is quickly becoming meta and Sombra is still decent in 2/2/2. Those are definitely not waste picks, if their team is even slightly playing with them.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Sombra definitely isn't a wasted slot, and I've been polishing up on my Roadhog so I can hook all the hamsters trying to run away / swing around the point indefinitely.

That being said, a well played Ball is a pain in the ass to deal with if my team doesn't a run Hog / Sombra / Mei to counter. It's like that f'er will never die.

Raide

Oct 31, 2017
Is OW one of those games that is super hard to get into this late in the life cycle? I keep eyeing it up everytime it goes on sale.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Is OW one of those games that is super hard to get into this late in the life cycle? I keep eyeing it up everytime it goes on sale.
I want to say no, but I've been playing this game for 4 years and have a fairly deep knowledge base of it, so trying to conceptualize what it's like to be a total newcomer is kind of hard. When I started out, there were only 21 heroes, half the maps there are now, no competitive mode to section off players who wanted to try hard vs those who were just looking to chill, and no hero stacking limits.

If you come in now, you are looking at 31 heroes that have been reiterated on to fit their role (some numerous times), lots of maps, sectioned off modes for your tastes, and stricter structural rules (especially if you wait a week for when 2-2-2 comes out).

I would say that OW is still very easy to pick up and play: There isn't anything to unlock mechanically speaking and starting out you'll get the basic mechanics of the characters pretty fast, so it's easy to just pick whatever character looks cool to you and have fun. It's just that there is a pretty deep metagame to it underneath it all.

It's like pokemon. It's a very simple RPG on the surface, even with all the interations they've made over the generations, so you can totally pickup and play it easy but if you try to get into the metagame, oh boy

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
It always seems a bit overwhelming. So many classes and abilities. Jumping in against people who have been playing for ages haha.

I also notice there are multiple versions of the game, which is best to go for?
The only difference with the Origins edition is that you get a few skins that are exclusive to it + some extra skins for your trouble. Otherwise, Overwatch is just one game.

Honestly, the best way to learn is just to pick a character you think looks cool and learn their 3-5 abilities, then move on to the next one. OW is a complicated game once you start looking at it deeper, but the basics are really easy, I promise.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
It always seems a bit overwhelming. So many classes and abilities. Jumping in against people who have been playing for ages haha.

It can be overwhelming for sure, but that's true for alot of games. It helps that the characters are very easily identifiable and each heroes skills are limited in number (mostly 2 abilities and an Ult, maybe a passive). You'll probably know what most of the characters do within 10 hours, just by playing as and against them.

The only different between versions AFAIK are skins and loot boxes for the game (with skins), nothing the influences gameplay or other content, so if you don't really care for cosmetics just take the cheapest one.

Raide

Oct 31, 2017
Thanks for the replies all. I usually play healer classes, so I will have to research those ones first before I jump in.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Mei's a sweat to deal with as Hammond, I don't know why people worry about her.

I'd much rather the enemy run her than McCree/Sombra/Hog

BriareosGAF

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing makes me want to flex to support less than 5 other DPS spamming I NEED HEALING as they fan off to 5 separate areas of the map. On attack. Through a choke.
"Switch to distance healer."
"So I can magically heal Sombra and Tracer as they fail to flank the widow that's perched 100m away because we can't push towards ths Orisa/Torb/Bastion at all? Alrighty."

OP
OP
Dead Prince

Dead Prince

Oct 25, 2017
On ptr. I nano genji who went straight to point but at the same time the other Ana nano the genji. Our genji said you didn’t have to use nano. He was like we were up 2. And I’m thinking like. Liar we were down 3 after their blade and he didn’t Kill anything with his lol our tracer killed things

Chance

Nov 22, 2017
Thanks for the replies all. I usually play healer classes, so I will have to research those ones first before I jump in.
Playing support (healer) is actually my #1 suggestion for new players.

Mercy specifically has pretty low mechanical requirements, and allows you to just focus on staying alive and healing buds while you learn the maps, callouts, rules and objectives.

After Mercy the supports become more technically demanding, from Brig on the low end to Zen and Ana at the high end - but with a few dozen hours on Mercy you'll have a pretty good grip on how the game plays, how teamfights can ebb and flow, et cetera.

Go forth and heal.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Mei's a sweat to deal with as Hammond, I don't know why people worry about her.

I'd much rather the enemy run her than McCree/Sombra/Hog
Stopping movement is enemy number 1 for Hammond. When your team got your back, Mei's not that bad. When you're alone and she has freedom to freeze you, that's a sad time. As always, it's all about teamplay.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Stopping movement is enemy number 1 for Hammond. When your team got your back, Mei's not that bad. When you're alone and she has freedom to freeze you, that's a sad time. As always, it's all about teamplay.
But she's pretty easy to move around unlike a spread out symetra turret or you can move around mcree but he'sgoing to keep hitting you as you dive away. Pretty easy to serpentine mei alt fires andavoid her m1 completely

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
But she's pretty easy to move around unlike a spread out symetra turret or you can move around mcree but he'sgoing to keep hitting you as you dive away. Pretty easy to serpentine mei alt fires andavoid her m1 completely
Can't say it's very hard to predict a Hammond's movement and wait for him as Mei, let alone hit her M2. He's huge.

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
Sombra is worse than Mei, because once you've been hacked you're just a big slow moving target without any way to save yourself and not enough firepower to make your impending sacrifice meaningful. There's still a slight chance you can get away from a Mei after the initial freeze, if you hit your shield and she doesn't put a wall up in front of you; if the freeze wears off before the rest of the team can get to you then you're usually safe(ish). I think I fear a Zen now more than Mei, because you're a big isolated target and a discord ball coupled with Sombra/Mei and some DPS/turrets is a death sentence.

Speaking of Hammond...

I was grateful for Ana's nap, it gave me time to recover from laughing.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
All right, I'm calling it. Doomfist needs a nerf. Whatever they did to fix him, they overdid it.

OP
OP
Dead Prince

Dead Prince

Oct 25, 2017
I tried playing at 70-80ms latency and it was terrible. I don’t know how people manage when they play on different servers

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

For the most part you'll also be matched up against low level players as well if you're playing quick play/arcade. Only issue is that sometimes you'll get put into matches with smurfs. You also have the option of playing vs bots to get a feel for the characters.

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
I tried playing at 70-80ms latency and it was terrible. I don’t know how people manage when they play on different servers
70-80ms latency is where I've been at almost since I started playing the game, my number never drops lower except for maybe a fraction of a second. Occasionally I get latency jumps up to 700-800ms, and feel compelled to apologize to my team especially if I'm the healer; the few times I talk to anyone in Overwatch are usually if I'm getting lag spikes.

BDS

Oct 25, 2017
I've lost my last eight placements since the announcement of role queue lol

Every match is a total joke

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
az
Doing my placements right now. Its rough

Got stomped hard twice, and won one game.

edit: 2-4 at the moment. After placements I'll just wait until roll-queue

Last edited:

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
I can't wait until role que. Nobody ever plays tank in QP and its making a lot of matches unplayable.
It definitely feels like full DPS comps are the norm right now since people are aware it's coming to an end. Play what you want, practice new heroes for roles you might not otherwise play. It's just a few more days until balance comps are the new normal.

Chance

Nov 22, 2017
Yep. If there were reporters on this they'd be the poor souls in waist-deep DPS, clutching their rain coats in one hand, the other tightly gripping their hat against the near-horizontal torrent of shimadas and snipers, shouting themselves hoarse over the roar of ult callouts.

"WE EXPECT THIS WHOLE THING TO CLEAR UP TUESDAY AFTERNOON BUT- BUT IT'S GONNA' GET A LOT WORSE BEFORE THEN BACK TO YOU CHUCK."

data west

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to pick DPS on launch even though I'm a tank main

that way when Blizzard sees how bad queues are for DPS, I can get loot boxes for picking tanks or healers. Which reminds me, they REALLY need to add more non-event skins. It's been ages

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
In honor of nano'ed Sym in OWL today:

(it looked like Baptiste and Sigma ain't gonna have a good time either but I died after I ulted because I couldn't believe I lasted that long and was already doing a happy dance on my chair lol)

Last edited:

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Picked this back up after a year or so..

A lot of changes and things to catch up on! I used to play mostly as Mei and D.VA. Mei seems identical lol but D.VA...is it me or are those missiles trash? I've unloaded a whole barrage on people and they dont seem very effective at all.

Moira is cool, haven't had chance play around with the other new characters yet.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Picked this back up after a year or so..

A lot of changes and things to catch up on! I used to play mostly as Mei and D.VA. Mei seems identical lol but D.VA...is it me or are those missiles trash? I've unloaded a whole barrage on people and they dont seem very effective at all.

Moira is cool, haven't had chance play around with the other new characters yet.
Mei can freeze multiple people at once with her primary as it goes through enemies now and DVAs missiles are really good for close range burst damage.

blue_phazon

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap Borderless windowed is the greatest thing on earth

I never used to do it because I just figured it would be worse for performance, but man it's a night and day difference.

I recently got a new 144hx monitor and I'm playing at 120fps. But with fullscreen I kept getting a lot of tears.

On borderless I get 0 tears. Or at least none that I can notice

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
Games are crazy lately but idk why everyone's so down on it. This is like 6 Meis and endless ice puns in voice during the last week before hero limits. It's 2 Winstons 2 Lucios 2 Tracers - it's a final hurrah of craziness before Blizzard narrows Overwatch down in the biggest way since literally ever. It's the end of the world as we know it.

This is Overwatch Mardi Gras and I for one am gonna' be out there scorin' beads. Mad beads.
You may have just turned me around on this.