• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
So ive been been playing Overwatch this week trying to kill time until the new Diablo season starts and I gotta say that after this week idk if I'm coming back to the game until they choose to properly balance the shield heroes.

With the addition of Sigma to the tank pool the game has become a complete and utter slog to play. It's just shields everywhere. Rien+Orisa, Orisa+Sigma, and Sigma+Rein everywhere. Hell I even had a match tonight that was Rein+Orisa+Sigma+Brigitte. I shit you not.

It's just shields shields shields shields shields and and more shields. By the time you take down one the other is ready to go again. And if you push them too hard too fast then you overstretch your team and get caught out unless you are in a premade group that knows exactly what each other is doing. It's ridiculous. No matter how much damage you throw there is always another shield that is coming off cool down or almost done recharging. It makes Defending single points absurdly easy and it makes attacking single points absurdly hard. My experience this week has been "Whoever gets the point first wins!" with very little exception.

Ans what's even worse is when you get a competent Widow, Hanzo, or Ashe that just sits behind all shields and has free reign to rain down fire or a Torb Turret that has auto aim.

It's just so.....lame and tedious. I feel like it takes zero skill to implement, but takes immense coordination and focus to counter. Just throw up all the shields and grind out the clock as the enemy breaks themselves upon your sea of shields. It shouldn't be that easy.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Surprised there wasn't a Sym with ult in there. I ended up in a situation like that yesterday and was playing Reaper and the visual noise of all the shields overlapping was a real mess in terms of trying to understand what was going on in team fights.
Exactly. And yeah I have not seen a symetra thrown in yet thank God.

It's just too much. They either need to reduce the shields or drastically increase the damage of heroes in order to compensate. Because as it stands each match is the same. It's a shield fight with very little variation or innovation to be found. Each match feels the exact same and in a game that is already pretty repetitive as it is in terms of its gameplay loop that is crippling my ability to enjoy the game like I did before. Wins feel less satisfying and losses feel cheap because 90% of the time it's either my team just spamming shields to win or my team runs into a sea of shields and can't break through so we lose.

That's not satisfying. Before Sigma I could look at every match and say "this is what I could have done to pull out the win" but this new shield meta leaves me incapable of that. Because there is literally nothing a single player can do to counter it. Especially since Sigma can retract and redeploy his shield on a whim. At least before if you were smart you could time a gank on an Orisa so that her shield was on cool down and pushing a Rein was always easy.

But now you got a guy with a BIG shield that can be recalled and deployed again on a dime at immense distances, an absorb, a stun, an AoE auto attack, and oh yeah btw his ult is a massive AoE/area stun that not only does massive damage, but also freezes you in place.

How the hell did Blizzard look at that and say "oh yeah this is totally balanced!"??? It's like they didn't even TRY to playtest him.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
The Shields problem was an inevitability the same way Goats was just waiting for the right AoE healer to come out. The only reason we didn't have a shield heavy meta before was because Orisa and Rein did not pair well, but now that we have a tank that does, here we are.

That said, this isn't THAT big an issue imo. All you really need to do is buff the dive characters. Genji's DB spits on shields, Tracer's blinks mean she can go around them, Reinhardt gets his ass up close with his hammar, etc.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
The Shields problem was an inevitability the same way Goats was just waiting for the right AoE healer to come out. The only reason we didn't have a shield heavy meta before was because Orisa and Rein did not pair well, but now that we have a tank that does, here we are.

That said, this isn't THAT big an issue imo. All you really need to do is buff the dive characters. Genji's DB spits on shields, Tracer's blinks mean she can go around them, Reinhardt gets his ass up close with his hammar, etc.
Sym to go through them, but then they should have never given her the big-ass wall

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Sym to go through them, but then they should have never given her the big-ass wall
Nah, because Sym's wall is an ultimate ability. At most, it would be available for one team fight for single use. Once it goes down, she has to get it back up again.

That's different from Rein, Orisa, and Sigma can refresh it in the middle of fights.

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
i somehow already have 41 of sigma's items. Already have all his voice lines and most of his spray paint. Once he was released it seemed all i was getting was his loot.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
I can't remember this game feeling worse than it does these days to be honest. I am barely having any fun playing.
Not sure what is going on but it's FILLED with leavers, DPS not doing any damage and shields.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember this game feeling worse than it does these days to be honest. I am barely having any fun playing.
Not sure what is going on but it's FILLED with leavers, DPS not doing any damage and shields.
Remember how people basically threw games during offseason when we still had that?

This is what the beta is. A 2+ week long offseason. That and we have balance kinks to work out with 2-2-2.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Overwatch dev team is garbage. They just nerfed the worst DPS in the game and the lowest HP tank that doesn't have shields. After fixing an error with their primary fire not computing damage correctly.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
with role que beta I feel as if my ganes have been much more balanced and close/fun

this is all around high diamond/low masters tho

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
20 minute wait time for DPS. I mean we knew this was going to happen but its crazy its actually THIS bad.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
So ive been been playing Overwatch this week trying to kill time until the new Diablo season starts and I gotta say that after this week idk if I'm coming back to the game until they choose to properly balance the shield heroes.

With the addition of Sigma to the tank pool the game has become a complete and utter slog to play. It's just shields everywhere. Rien+Orisa, Orisa+Sigma, and Sigma+Rein everywhere. Hell I even had a match tonight that was Rein+Orisa+Sigma+Brigitte. I shit you not.

It's just shields shields shields shields shields and and more shields. By the time you take down one the other is ready to go again. And if you push them too hard too fast then you overstretch your team and get caught out unless you are in a premade group that knows exactly what each other is doing. It's ridiculous. No matter how much damage you throw there is always another shield that is coming off cool down or almost done recharging. It makes Defending single points absurdly easy and it makes attacking single points absurdly hard. My experience this week has been "Whoever gets the point first wins!" with very little exception.

Ans what's even worse is when you get a competent Widow, Hanzo, or Ashe that just sits behind all shields and has free reign to rain down fire or a Torb Turret that has auto aim.

It's just so.....lame and tedious. I feel like it takes zero skill to implement, but takes immense coordination and focus to counter. Just throw up all the shields and grind out the clock as the enemy breaks themselves upon your sea of shields. It shouldn't be that easy.
This is balanced by 2/2/2. You soon won't ever play against a Sigma + Rein + Orisa

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm still of the opinion 2-2-2 wasnt needed for anyone but Pros and top 500. Even then when I was playing with top 500 players Goats wasnt the more prominent composition. The game was the best it had been before this given how many viable comps you could go with and find success (goats, 2-2-2. 3 dps, bunker, etc). Goats was not an issue for 95% of the OW population. I'm not sure I'd say its current state is worse than a lot of the other low moments but I do think I enjoyed the game more when there was much more flexibility.

This is balanced by 2/2/2. You soon won't ever play against a Sigma + Rein + Orisa
Its still an issue in 2-2-2. Any 2 of sigma, rein and orisa is going to give you much of the same problem even if its not that pronounced. Its a shield meta right now.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
It's not about goats for me, game feels better.

- having multiple players that main a certain role and forcing them onto other roles
- waiting around for people with private profiles to pick as a person who fills only to pick dps when you need a main tank and main support
- being able to play what I want knowing there will be tanks and supports

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My argument is that a lot of what you just listed was already in the game with the ability to que up with other players in certain roles. That was only problematic because the game punished you for queing as a team/six stack but almost everything you listed already had a solution and the problem should have been addressed via SR gains and MM being consistent. Because now you essentially throw the baby out with the bathwater to fix a problem with a solution that wasn't necessary.

Thats not to say I dont enjoy 2-2-2 cause I do. I just think I liked everything better with the balance prior to the transition (but its still early so my mind could be changed)

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
I think the "garbage" games that still happen with people not really knowing what they're doing in their chosen roles and the presence of leavers/throwers are just growing pains for the 2/2/2 role lock. We're literally only 2 weeks in from the introduction of a gigantic game-changing update and a new hero. It's crystal clear that there are a lot of players trying out roles they don't actually play very often, and placements for all roles in this beta seem to be quite generous especially for people who have a history of flexing.

But yeah, I just have no stress or anxiety anymore on the hero select screen even when playing solo, and a majority of the games I've played have been very playable. The only times I feel "bad" are when the other team is just... better/more coordinated and steamrolls. I think over time as the player base settles into just playing the roles they're actually comfortable with, the SRs will start to make more sense across the board and matchmaking will be more even.

I do get the frustration with all the barriers now because of Sigma being played almost every game along with an Orisa or Rein and a Sym and/or Mei. Throw in Immortality Field with Bap, and it can be incredibly hard to kill anything. But it's early yet, and the recent nerfs on Sigma (plus his relatively high skill floor) kinda have me expecting we'll be seeing less of him when the new hero shine wears off.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
And they just nerfed one of the best counters to the shield meta because... she thrives off of the shield meta. Doesnt make a lick of sense.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Love how they immediately delete them but don't look at mei or reaper or the boring shield meta

7MBFYgON3Z-6.png

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
They re just going to buff the dps again to break the double shield some more
Reaper gets a new shieldbuster passive which increases his damage against barriers by +100%

Mei can now freeze enemies through barriers with her endothermic blaster

Any enemies tagged with Sonic Arrow no longer have barrier protection and Hanzo gains 10 more arrows for Storm Arrows to help deplete barriers

Problem solved👨‍⚖

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reaper gets a new shieldbuster passive which increases his damage against barriers by +100%

Any enemies tagged with Sonic Arrow no longer have barrier protection and Hanzo gains 10 more arrows for Storm Arrows to help deplete barriers

Problem solved👨‍⚖️

It bothered me that they didn't go all out with Sigma's gravity/black hole mechanics. I would've liked something in place of that barrier he uses.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017

Problem solved👨‍⚖️
Can't wait for them to just lock hero and force us to play with certain heroes next

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised to see Sigma get a cooldown on his barrier deployment soon.
I'd rather they nerf literally anything else because the near instant retracting and putting up his barrier is half of the fun of him (and also what separates the bad Sigmas from the tood ones). The other half of course is killing mobile squishies with his earthbending.

Last edited:

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
The other approach is to emphasize them as barriers/tanks and neuter their offensive abilities sufficiently that it's a real hit to take that shield on the team.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
This might sound rich coming from a Brig main but I don't enjoy getting deleted by Mei, Reaper and Sym. McCree deletes me from across the map? Good job bro, I was badly positioned and your aim is great.

Sym? Cheese one button. Reaper? One button. Mei? Multi stun, more tanky than Hog, ult like shatter, sniper as well let's go bro.

Widow and Hanzo got their problems but again as a support I feel these heroes are what I am supposed to go against in high elo and not Sym or Reaper. No offense.

You might say I'm toxic but that's what people will argue against these heroes in most forums and I suspect Blizzard got the same mindset.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
This might sound rich coming from a Brig main but I don't enjoy getting deleted by Mei, Reaper and Sym. McCree deletes me from across the map? Good job bro, I was badly positioned and your aim is great.

Sym? Cheese one button. Reaper? One button. Mei? Multi stun, more tanky than Hog, ult like shatter, sniper as well let's go bro.

Widow and Hanzo got their problems but again as a support I feel these heroes are what I am supposed to go against in high elo and not Sym or Reaper. No offense.

You might say I'm toxic but that's what people will argue against these heroes in most forums and I suspect Blizzard got the same mindset.
I know you're venting but mechanical skill shouldn't be the only factor on winning games in higher elos, Sym hardly deletes a brig by simply pushing one button, i'm afraid

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I know you're venting but mechanical skill shouldn't be the only factor on winning games in higher elos, Sym hardly deletes a brig by simply pushing one button, i'm afraid

You joke but with current Brig....

LMAO

No problem against Sym though except for the past few days because of double shields everywhere. I have bigger issues against Mei/Reaper.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
You joke but with current Brig....

LMAO

No problem against Sym though except for the past few days because of double shields everywhere. I have bigger issues against Mei/Reaper.
You can CC her and finish her, just don't keep the shield up when she's nearby, worst that can happen is if she trapped you, but then you got outsmarted, not really cheese

Now if your team let she get charge it's another issue, i imagine the shields must be a fieldtrip for symms right now
Oh how i've waited for this :p

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why people are advocating for Sigma nerfs, I really don't feel like he's unbalanced. Every one of his cooldowns is long - shield regen included.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this. it's why I like overwatch over other shooters. But it's increasingly looking like there is only one way being emphasized when talking about skills these days especially with OWL.

Status
Not open for further replies.