• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Rumor has it will be campaigns like those in left 4 dead. If it's done right, I couldn't ask for a better addition to the game.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I did a few dps placements today, and remembered how shitty it is playing in silver. Teammates are so quick to blame people when things go wrong.

Only have 2 more dps placements and one more tank placement. Probably won't do my support placements until next week when I can play during a non shitty time of day/day of week, and my support rank is the only one I really care about.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Damn. I truly think I'm done with this game until either shields or doom are heavily nerfed. I've played this game religiously since beta. This just isn't fun. Doom isn't a fun character to play against, a very ill conceived character that I don't even know if there's a way to make him both a viable pick and not just a horrible character to play against. It's one thing when you only have to play against him every so often, but having every game be hard pocketed dooms and layers of sheilds for him to hide behind is legitimately the most eye bleedingly mind numbing rage enducing gameplay I've ever gotten from overwatch.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Damn. I truly think I'm done with this game until either shields or doom are heavily nerfed. I've played this game religiously since beta. This just isn't fun. Doom isn't a fun character to play against, a very ill conceived character that I don't even know if there's a way to make him both a viable pick and not just a horrible character to play against. It's one thing when you only have to play against him every so often, but having every game be hard pocketed dooms and layers of sheilds for him to hide behind is legitimately the most eye bleedingly mind numbing rage enducing gameplay I've ever gotten from overwatch.
Yup, i call him "melee sniper".
He is a nightmare for Support players. 5 times more annoying than Tracer for example.
The fact that ppl don't want to switch to Sombra or Mei to counter him makes everything even worse.

Last edited:

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
2-2-2 role lock is exposing how limited a lot of players' hero pools are. I totally get comfort picks, but hero switching is such an integral part of Overwatch that it boggles the mind how there are way too many players who've had more than a hundred hours in the game only know how to play a couple of characters. It's more apparent now because before you could have more than just the 2 people locked in a role to switch and deal with a troublesome enemy.

I do think that for every role category, players always have an option to hard counter or at the very least alleviate the pressure being put on by one particular hero dominating the game.

For Doomfist, one of the tanks could go Roadhog and just wait for the Doom to descend and hook him. Orisa's halt can also screw him up if used correctly. I think too many players in Plat/Diamond use their cooldowns haphazardly even when there's one obvious threat they should be saving their abilities for.

Supports could either switch to Ana if they're good with sleep darts or Brig, saving shield bash exclusively for Doom. They could also just go Moira and Lucio and be as slippery as possible avoiding Doom altogether. Mercy up in the air with Pharah shouldn't even worry. Just don't play Zen unless you're confident in your right click or teammates to peel.

Honestly, I think nerfing Doomfist would be trying to cure a disease by treating a symptom. He wasn't this oppressive before 2-2-2 and Sigma. He was even considered a throw pick for a long time. And with so many people saying he's a "braindead hero", those who don't know how to play him properly feed and feed hard.

It's the goddamn shields.

Doomfist only got popular because he's literally the one DPS that can reliably deal damage through all the shields. Nerfing him will only make matches even more of a slog, or just result in fucking Bastion mirrors most of the time, which I think would be worse.

The longer cooldown for Orisa's shield deployment was a step in the right direction and looked like it was going to nip the Bunker meta in the bud before Sigma dropped. I do think the flexibility Sigma has with how he can almost instantly re-deploy his shield in whichever direction is key to his playstyle, so I'm not sure about the calls to add a cooldown to its deployment. I'd rather it had less HP and/or take longer to be used again if it's broken.

Also, Orisa's Fortify could use some nerfing. 50% damage reduction that stacks with her armor and universal CC denial makes her feel impossible to kill. Nerfing that would make diving her actually viable!

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
Regular 20 minuteintervals between games on a saturday is pretty damning for this game. Glad they said they're looking at these queue times

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
2-2-2 role lock is exposing how limited a lot of players' hero pools are. I totally get comfort picks, but hero switching is such an integral part of Overwatch that it boggles the mind how there are way too many players who've had more than a hundred hours in the game only know how to play a couple of characters. It's more apparent now because before you could have more than just the 2 people locked in a role to switch and deal with a troublesome enemy.

I do think that for every role category, players always have an option to hard counter or at the very least alleviate the pressure being put on by one particular hero dominating the game.

For Doomfist, one of the tanks could go Roadhog and just wait for the Doom to descend and hook him. Orisa's halt can also screw him up if used correctly. I think too many players in Plat/Diamond use their cooldowns haphazardly even when there's one obvious threat they should be saving their abilities for.

Supports could either switch to Ana if they're good with sleep darts or Brig, saving shield bash exclusively for Doom. They could also just go Moira and Lucio and be as slippery as possible avoiding Doom altogether. Mercy up in the air with Pharah shouldn't even worry. Just don't play Zen unless you're confident in your right click or teammates to peel.

Honestly, I think nerfing Doomfist would be trying to cure a disease by treating a symptom. He wasn't this oppressive before 2-2-2 and Sigma. He was even considered a throw pick for a long time. And with so many people saying he's a "braindead hero", those who don't know how to play him properly feed and feed hard.

It's the goddamn shields.

Doomfist only got popular because he's literally the one DPS that can reliably deal damage through all the shields. Nerfing him will only make matches even more of a slog, or just result in fucking Bastion mirrors most of the time, which I think would be worse.

The longer cooldown for Orisa's shield deployment was a step in the right direction and looked like it was going to nip the Bunker meta in the bud before Sigma dropped. I do think the flexibility Sigma has with how he can almost instantly re-deploy his shield in whichever direction is key to his playstyle, so I'm not sure about the calls to add a cooldown to its deployment. I'd rather it had less HP and/or take longer to be used again if it's broken.

Also, Orisa's Fortify could use some nerfing. 50% damage reduction that stacks with her armor and universal CC denial makes her feel impossible to kill. Nerfing that would make diving her actually viable!
Some people did have larger pools but scattered between roles, which makes their pool per role sorta limited gotta wait till people get used to it i guess

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I'm confused. How did role que make Doomfist so much better. I used to take pride in using him because other people didn't and in the ranks I played it was rare to find a good competent one.

Now suddenly everyone is good with him? How?

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. How did role que make Doomfist so much better. I used to take pride in using him because other people didn't and in the ranks I played it was rare to find a good competent one.

well, role queue made goats impossible to play

so people just switched to heroes with the best sustain. orisa/hog/mei/reaper

then sigma came out and orisa/sigma double shield became meta, so heroes that can play around shields became super good

doomfist/moira/reaper

it's not so much role queue, its the meta, which role queue contributes to.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
well, role queue made goats impossible to play

so people just switched to heroes with the best sustain. orisa/hog/mei/reaper

then sigma came out and orisa/sigma double shield became meta, so heroes that can play around shields became super good

doomfist/moira/reaper

it's not so much role queue, its the meta, which role queue contributes to.
Ahh, totally makes sense.

This game has so many working parts lol.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, blizzard has absolutely no idea what they are doing with their own game balancing. The 2-2-2 shift shouldve had a ton of different buffs and nerfs to go along with it, but lol, let's just release it and see what happens

It's the flaw of these GAAS designs, they constantly need new stuff, and can't commit to long term planning and there's no real time to test the ideas properly.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Also, blizzard has absolutely no idea what they are doing with their own game balancing. The 2-2-2 shift shouldve had a ton of different buffs and nerfs to go along with it, but lol, let's just release it and see what happens

It's the flaw of these GAAS designs, they constantly need new stuff, and can't commit to long term planning and there's no real time to test the ideas properly.

They're gathering data during this period, I'd expect a large balance patch soon. Still surprised the PTR patch hasn't gone live yet.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Yeah game definitely needs big balance changes. This is by far one of the worst and most frustrating "metas". Two shields almost every game, Zarya/Sym almost every game, DF almost every game... it's boring.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah game definitely needs big balance changes. This is by far one of the worst and most frustrating "metas". Two shields almost every game, Zarya/Sym almost every game, DF almost every game... it's boring.
They saw what happened with goats, and decided we needed a metagame where the best option for teams is to basically stand still and shoot at each others barriers while slowly inching forward.

Blizzard found a way to turn everyone into Orisa

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Hey thread, first time posting here. Been doing some Overwatch with some friends tonight, and managed to have a great game with Moira, aka the only character I can play somewhat well enough. I love everything about her, from her character design to skillset, she's defo my fave!

Nothing amazing, but for someone who plays Overwatch once every 3 months, I guess it ain't too bad!

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Lol this game.

I really hated 2-2-2 but decided to dick around a bit tonight. Every.single.game is just two shields vs two shields with a bastions shooting at each other while the cart slowly moves. Like, there's almost no energy to the game whatsoever. Win or lose, doesn't even feel earned. Bleh.

Meanwhile, as it was a few weeks ago, Moira is pretty much guaranteed gold heals AND gold damage in every game, no matter what. Even when I'm barely paying attention I'm getting 4 golds in more than half the games with Moira.

So boring, haha. What happened?!

Edit: I've defended this game for a long, long time and have had a lot of fun with it... but I just had four more utterly braindead matches and uninstalled it. I'll come back in six months out of curiosity... but for now, I just hate 2-2-2 so, so much. Like, honestly, probably the single worst change to any multiplayer game I've ever had fun with that got a big update in my 20+ years of enjoying this hobby.

For those having fun with it - great! Glad you are. But at least for this holiday season with a packed calendar of releases, I'm calling it. I'm not touching this game until after Christmas.

Have fun, y'all!

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda funny, I enjoy Brig right now more than before with the stronger healing focus, I still do well as her, meanwhile I see so many opposing players going rambo with her with hilariously bad consequences, I guess that's how most people played her when she was overtuned huh?

Just give me a touch more shield health so it can at least somewhat do its job and I'm pretty content, guess the GOATS era has probably made her a villain for life.

I feel your pain.
They ruined my rarely taken hipster pick AND made him a hated character

Granted with 2-2-2 my doom days are pretty much done outside the odd deathmatch.
I do feel like at some point when I wasn't playing they buffed his shield gain so now any one can bumble in and clean up.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2-2-2 wouldn't be a problem without Sigma existing. They literally added a character and ruined the meta again.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny because Bap is easily one of the best healers in the game (imo he is by far the best healer) and Sigma is also one of the most played tanks. You'd think we were playing Paladins where the new character is always the best (Paladins at least has a money excuse that they want to sell their brand new and expensive character)

It's really sad that I thin Paladins is a much better designed game at this point in its existence. Overwatch can be so much better, but I have absolutely no faith that Blizzard has any idea what they are doing.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
2-2-2 wouldn't be a problem without Sigma existing. They literally added a character and ruined the meta again.
It would be just as bad, as the game was never balanced around 2-2-2 and characters like doomfist/sigma require separated comp schemes to be beaten(like 3tanks or 3dps comps)

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
The only time doom becomes such a big problem fro me as a support main is when he gets zarya bubble and dives on me.

Pretty much he wasn't much of a problem other than that.

Vulnicura

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I've improved my Ashe quite a bit. I haven't invested a lot of time in any sort of aim intensive heroes since playing Overwatch so playing Ashe is a challenge. Here are some vids of some good or interesting matches I've had in quick play; any feedback or critique, good and bad, is appreciated:

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
I'd have to say variance in match quality has gone down, which is good, and not surprising given we don't get trash quad+ dps comps anymore. But I doubt that non-garbage match quality has gone up that much.... we're now far too reliant on not-terrible dps to rotate effectively, especially to counter doom/genji with stuns, and that's rare. And then of course none of us can rotate to save them.

Cockmagic

Oct 30, 2017
I'd have to say variance in match quality has gone down, which is good, and not surprising given we don't get trash quad+ dps comps anymore. But I doubt that non-garbage match quality has gone up that much.... we're now far too reliant on not-terrible dps to rotate effectively, especially to counter doom/genji with stuns, and that's rare. And then of course none of us can rotate to save them.

I think bad tanks are a bigger problem.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's definitely good that i don't get stuck with all dps one tricks, but getting stuck with a winston one trick on tank or a genji one trick on dps is still basically an auto-loss.

but that's really a problem with the meta being so limited right now. there's like 8 viable heroes in most games.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Shorter queue times.
i even got to play mercy on Rialto. amazingly i literally just flew up in their face and rez. bap couldn't hit a standing target. LMFAO also a team fight was going and i went and res. ive only done it because i knew they weren't paying attention to me. played moira more and reaction time to ults been good so i was able to fade out before ults

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah hopefully overwatch 2.0 comes with a complete balance overhaul, fix ability creep (soldier, tracer, genji w/o ultimate are probably good baselines for damage heroes), remove cheap unpredictable shit (aka Doomfist)

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i really like how DPS players kept complaining about not being able to play their role so they put in role lock and now they're in games where moira has gold damage, sigma silver, and they're just spamming shields as reaper or fishing for fist picks

Terraj_RSL

Feb 8, 2018
Question about Baptiste:

Most of the time I hold down both fire-buttons to heal/damage at the same time, but I was wondering does this reduce my DPS/H(eal)PS, versus shooting/healing seperately?
Also, blizzard has absolutely no idea what they are doing with their own game balancing. The 2-2-2 shift shouldve had a ton of different buffs and nerfs to go along with it, but lol, let's just release it and see what happens.
I just want my pre-nerf Lucio Speed back.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
def team playing too far forward. they got into the moment and started chasing me (bap) and orisa back to spawn only to have our sombra push the payload for the win.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Will do lol, will there be any other buffs/nerfs added from the PTR?

These are the changes, there are also cool things things coming to the workshop like dummy bots

Bastion
Self-repair
  • Self-repair no longer consumes resource while Bastion is at full health.
  • Bastion now correctly initiates .25 sec of recovery time when canceling Self-repair with weapon fire.
Symmetra
Primary Fire
  • Beam width lowered from 0.3 meters to 0.15
  • Beam DPS per level lowered from 65/130/195 to 60/120/180
Zarya
Primary Fire
  • Beam width no longer scales with energy (from 0.1 to 0.2) and is now always 0.15.
  • Max Beam DPS lowered from 190 to 170
Sigma
Hyper Spheres
  • Explosion damaged reduced from 35 to 30
Experimental Barrier
  • Added a toggle option for deploying Sigma's Experimental Barrier
Accretion
  • Explosion damage increased from 50 to 60
Gravitic Flux
  • Intro cast time increased from 0.4 seconds to 0.6

Last edited:

Chance

Nov 22, 2017
Question about Baptiste:

Most of the time I hold down both fire-buttons to heal/damage at the same time, but I was wondering does this reduce my DPS/H(eal)PS, versus shooting/healing seperately?
Both fire modes aren't missing a beat if you're holding down both buttons. If you've got folks to heal and there are reds behind them, not holding both buttons is just leaving damage and elims on the table.

Terraj_RSL

Feb 8, 2018
These are the changes, there are also cool things things coming to the workshop like dummy bots

Bastion
Self-repair
  • Self-repair no longer consumes resource while Bastion is at full health.
  • Bastion now correctly initiates .25 sec of recovery time when canceling Self-repair with weapon fire.
Symmetra
Primary Fire
  • Beam width lowered from 0.3 meters to 0.15
Zarya
Primary Fire
  • Beam width no longer scales with energy (from 0.1 to 0.2) and is now always 0.15.
Sigma
Hyper Spheres
Experimental Barrier
Accretion
Gravitic Flux
Okay thanks. Speaking of Bation, I noticed that players are more adept at dealing with a Bastion nowadays, he didn't just completely shut down a game like before.
Both fire modes aren't missing a beat if you're holding down both buttons. If you've got folks to heal and there are reds behind them, not holding both buttons is just leaving damage and elims on the table.
Ah okay, so just to be clear holding both buttons has the same fire-speed as holding one-button?

Chance

Nov 22, 2017
Correct. The nades and hitscan shots aren't delayed at all - both fire at the same rate as if you were just holding down one. There's absolutely no reason not to do it.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
OMG

PATCH HIGHLIGHTS
Bastion's Brick Challenge

Get ready to play with Bastion's Brick Challenge and some special, unlockable in-game content! Wins in Quick Play, Competitive Play, or Arcade will earn you themed sprays, player icons, and a new legendary skin: Brick Bastion!

Tune in to participating Twitch broadcasters while they're playing Overwatch any time through 9/30 to earn a total of seven Bastion's Brick Challenge sprays and icons!

To learn more about Bastion's Brick Challenge, click here.

HERO UPDATES
General

• Ground targeted abilities (Reaper's Shadowstep, Mei's Icewall, Synnetra's Teleporter, etc) will now more heavily prefer edges over placing as far away as possible.
Bastion

Self-repair

• Self-repair no longer consumes resource while Bastion is at full health
  • Bastion now correctly initiates 0.25 sec of recovery time when canceling Self-Repair by firing

Symmetra

Primary Fire

• Beam width lowered from 0.3 meters to 0.2

Zarya

Primary Fire

• Beam width is now 0.15 meters and no longer scales with energy

Sigma

Hyper Spheres

Experimental Barrier

• Being hacked by Sombra will now recall his barrier if it is deployed. (EMP will still destroy the barrier first if both are in range)
Accretion

Gravitic Flux

WORKSHOP UPDATES
New Workshop actions:

• Create Dummy Bot
    • Creates a dummy bot, which is a full player that has no human or AI controlling it. Using other Workshop actions, dummy bots can move, aim, press buttons, and do most things that human players can do.
  • Destroy Dummy Bot
    • Destroys a dummy bot.
  • Start Throttle In Direction
    • Either sets or modifies the throttle (directional movement input) for a given player (human, AI bot, or dummy bot).
  • Stop Throttle In Direction
    • Stops the change to throttle being caused by Start Throttle In Direction.
  • Create Beam Effect
    • Creates a beam effect between two positions (either or both of which may be a player).
New parameters to existing Workshop actions:

• Create HUD Text
    • New SpectatorVisibility option for defining when spectators can see the text.
    • New colors have been added to Text Color.
  • Create In-World Text
    • New SpectatorVisibility option for defining when spectators can see the text.
    • New colors have been added to Text Color.
  • Create Effect and Play Effect
    • New colors have been added.
New Workshop value:

• Is Dummy Bot
    • Whether a given player is a dummy bot.
New Workshop Inspector features:

• Copy current variables to CSV [PC-Only] :
    • Copies the currently visible variables to the system clipboard in CSV format. These can be pasted into text and spreadsheet applications.
  • Copy all variables to CSV [PC-Only] :
    • Copies all variables throughout the Inspector history for the currently selected entity to the system clipboard in CSV format. These can be pasted into text and spreadsheet applications.
  • Copy current variables as actions:
    • Copies the currently visible variables to the clipboard in Workshop text format. These can be pasted back into a Workshop action list.
BUG FIXES
General

• Workshop - Fixed a bug that caused the "Enable Workshop Inspector" option not to reset when using Restore Defaults
  • Workshop - The "Is Firing Primary" Workshop value now correctly reports whether Sigma is using his Hyperspheres
  • Fixed an issue where killing D.Va's mech via Environment kill would not always grant the full amount of ult charge
  • Fixed an issue where knockbacks would sometimes be shorter than intended if the target was moving down an incline
  • Players should no longer get stuck inviting players when using 'Stay As Team' feature
  • Attempting to save a highlight without sufficient disk space now displays an appropriate error message
  • Fixed an issue where the first person camera would be incorrectly offset when switching heroes in some workshop scenarios
  • Competitive arcade season ratings now display a skill rating in the career profile
  • Season 1 competitive end ratings now show correctly in leaderboards
Maps

Paris

• Fixed a bug that allowed Moira's Biotic Orb to pass through the attacker's spawn door
Heroes

Ashe

• Improved the ability for B.O.B. to get through doorways and more consistently make it to where he was launched towards
Bastion

• Fixed a bug where Bastion was not entering a recovery state when immediately firing weapons after Self-Repair is used
Brigitte

• Fixed a bug with Brigitte's Repair Pack cooldown scalar not working in custom games
D.Va

• Fixed a bug that allowed D.Va's mech to block Earthshatter briefly during the destruction animation
Hanzo

• Fixed a bug that caused Hanzo's bow to flicker when switching to Sonic Arrow, when certain skins were equipped
Lucio

• Fixed an issue where knockbacks applied to enemies moving down ramps would not knock back as far as intended.
Mercy

• Fixed a bug where Mercy could sometimes mispredict being able to Guardian Angel to a teammate who had died behind a wall.
Orisa

• Fixed a bug that caused players to be thrown further than intended when escaping the pulling effect of Orisa's Halt
Sigma

• Fixed a bug that caused the first-person animations for Kinetic Grasp, Accretion, Experimental Barrier return/retract, and primary fire not to play correctly when used immediately after being frozen
  • Fixed a bug that caused Hyperspheres to appear without any VFX or animation after letting the cast timer on Gravitic Flux expire
  • Fixed a bug that incorrectly allowed Sigma to gain shields after absorbing a healing orb from Moira with his Kinetic Grasp
  • Corrected various Sigma team color visual effects
  • Fixed a bug with Sigma's Damage Blocked average per 10 min not appearing in career profile
Sombra

• Fixed a bug with Sombra detection radius being affected by player aim pitch
Wrecking Ball

• Fixed an issue preventing Wrecking Ball specific stats from showing up in the Career Profile
  • Fixed a bug with adaptive shields area being affected by aim pitch
Zenyatta

• Fixed a bug that prevented Zenyatta from using a Teleporter while Transcendence is activ

Status
Not open for further replies.