• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Something fun doesn't suddenly become unfun because it isn't new and fresh anymore, if so all older games would suck today.

This is a misnomer.

If you have fond memories of, say, a local theme park in your childhood, you can visit it again as an adult and it will probably mostly be the same. There are some new rides, but the experience is the same. It might not reach the same levels of excitement and discovery, but its now been replaced with a feeling of comfort. And, most importantly, when you're done with it, you can leave and come back to it after however many months and years and find it to be the same.

What if instead, the theme park was consistently changing, AND you worked there? Not only would you have to see a bunch of changes that you might not be a fan of, you're actively witnessing the loss of things that you enjoyed when you were first hired. So if you're unhappy with your job at the park in the end, of course you're going to reminisce about the good ol' days.

If you played Super Mario 64 on a semi-frequent basis over four years and Nintendo kept adding balance changes to it that removed some things you liked and added things you didn't like, you're damn right it would be come unfun to you.

Was Y1 OW balanced? Hell no, but what was there I think was an overall better experience and no amount of "Yeah, but what about" changes that for me. OW continues to have issues, it was never perfect, it will never be perfect. By saying I think Y1 OW was better isn't me saying there weren't things about it that were broken and unfun. It's me saying I think Y1 OW was better than the various balancing we've got since. By all means, you can continue to brush it off as rose-tinted glasses. Who knows, maybe you're right. I'd love to play Y1 OW again to find out. But until that option arrives that proves to me I simply started losing interest, or we enter a state of the game which brings back that level of fun for me, I'll keep believing Y1 OW was better.
Believe what you want. As long as you accept that your waning enjoyment is not due to "the game is worse," it's due to a variety of factors such as "the overall community is better at the game," "there is very little opportunity to discover some grand new approach to playing the game," "my old favourite heroes no longer give me an undue sense of power due to being OP and subsequently balanced," "I can't play something for four years without getting somewhat bored," etc.

Fact of the matter is, if Overwatch released as it is today, you'd feel almost exactly the same joy and excitement discovering what heroes worked best in 2-2-2, which class you enjoyed the most, which heroes, maps, and so on.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
And now it's a... 2-2-2 grind.

Is that better???
Honestly yeah, don't get me wrong it's got many of its own issues but early OW really got by for me because me and my friends were stepping into the unknown, a period where Bastion tore everything up and defending Reins could wait by attack spawns as they opened for cheeky charge pins without getting whacked as everyone just flailed around madly and stumbled towards the objective with the off kilter pathing of a drunkard.
It was new and exciting and that did wonders to hide a number of issues that were present then and are still pointed at as issues today like ult economy and all that.

I'm not sure I want to experience what a more well rounded or borderline competitive match would be like in those days, especially with hero stacking and limited healer options.

Of course 2-2-2 stings me less as a support and tank player primarily, it means that I actually get others backing up my roles and not the fabled four hitscan, solo heal and solo tank on a good day.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I hate that they are balancing the game around OWL. Even since it started, it ruined the fun for a lot of casual players.

Has it though? I mean, they don't always balance around pro level play, but I think the game should be balanced more around the higher end than the lower. As someone who plays in silver - plat, there is no meta and a lot of times it doesn't really matter what you run.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
"Let's attack from 6 different directions!"

"But only 1 or 2 people at a time".

There was a PC mod (banned I think) that gave proper tips on when to engage/fall back/group up or when to play aggro/defend your healer because they kept on dying to the enemy flanker.

Maybe Blizzard will somehow make it a thing in the future?

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
why do you even die while moira fade is still up. like i can still hear the fade going and i die to the mine.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Also another dark reminder of early OW: Lucio's aura had 0 visual indicator for both him and his teammates

Really my biggest issue has been that if I want to play DPS in something that isn't arcade I have to wait over 10 minutes for a single game which is absurd

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Also another dark reminder of early OW: Lucio's aura had 0 visual indicator for both him and his teammates

Really my biggest issue has been that if I want to play DPS in something that isn't arcade I have to wait over 10 minutes for a single game which is absurd

I really wish that Brig had a better healing indicator- for both Brig's player and teammates to see.

MG310

Oct 25, 2017

You can do what the rest of them seem to be doing and play Moira while complaining about the other healer while being outhealed by a Zen and a Roadhog.

My event loot box luck has finally run out it seems. I've gotten every single thing except the 3,000 gold skins and next week's Hamster reward.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
If there's one thing that frustrates me too is the SR system. Leavers, afkers, throwers, all these affect your so called "skill rating", when no matter the skill, in as team heavy a game as this is, you have no control over it, specially when folks don't even join coms. If there's one thing I'd like this update we are gonna get this week is how this system works

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Complex formula for SR based on the way you win/lose would be pretty neat. Like you would lose less sr if multiple people weren't in team chat or you had a leaver.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If there's one thing that frustrates me too is the SR system. Leavers, afkers, throwers, all these affect your so called "skill rating", when no matter the skill, in as team heavy a game as this is, you have no control over it, specially when folks don't even join coms. If there's one thing I'd like this update we are gonna get this week is how this system works
I agree. One of the reasons I just don't care anymore for a rank in OW sadly.

TFT has me on the hooks eitherway and I can't seem to play anything else anymore lmao

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know why this always been the case for me. There's always one enemy dps who give our whole team trouble that I'm pretty sure he's smurfing.

Then come next game, I meet him again and our team dominate the whole way. Like, how???? It's not like he's good previously by getting a perfect ultimate kills ---- it was his super good tracking with Tracer and Widow. Now he can't kill anyone with either???

Mar 22, 2019
Australia here - switching over to the Asia servers tonight as the America one is taking forever to find a game...guess that means i'm getting my butt handed to me but hey i get to play one of my favourite games!

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Man I am amazed my team won on attack just now considering we had a Reaper who refused to leave spawn for the first two minutes. He finally left the match after we somehow won the first part of Hollywood. No surprise after we got a sixth our team just won without any trouble. Reported that Reaper ass so hopefully he gets punished.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Playing competitive CTF and you remember how 5 DPS is abysmal. At least this time I got Symmetra and Tjorborn in DPS and not Widow and Hanzo. We actually won the game when the Mcree swapped to Roadhog. It came down to a tight sudden death and a swap from Baptiste to Lucio in the end.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Playing competitive CTF and you remember how 5 DPS is abysmal. At least this time I got Symmetra and Tjorborn in DPS and not Widow and Hanzo. We actually won the game when the Mcree swapped to Roadhog. It came down to a tight sudden death and a swap from Baptiste to Lucio in the end.

Yeah, CTF is a quick reminder of how much I hated pre-role lock OW towards the end.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
oh why did you have to remind me of comp ctf

I really do not want to do it but I am so close to my next gold weapon.....

MG310

Oct 25, 2017
Whew the maps tonight..

King's Row (with a thrower suiciding from the moment the match started) Havana, Volksaya, Hanamura, Volskaya, Havana, Hanamura

Last edited:

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Do you ever wonder why people turn to evil instead of being respectable members of society? Also known as people that play Roadhog or Moira in deathmatch

I don't play deathmatch in OW, but i mean, it's deathmatch. Anything goes right? It's a fight. To the death.

I always looked at deathmatch as a gimmick mode in OW since characters are not balanced in a 1v1 vacuum.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Balance update live, seems they can do these without a download now.

McCree didn't get his HP or Peacekeeper change
Orisa's primary fire reduced by 1 instead of 2
Sigma didn't get his Primary range reduced

HERO UPDATES
Hanzo

Storm Arrows

• Damage reduced from 70 to 60
McCree

Deadeye

• Firing Deadeye no longer locks the player's aim
Reaper

The Reaping (Passive)

• Healing amount reduced from 40% to 30% of damage dealt
Orisa

Fusion Driver (Primary Fire)

• Damage reduced from 11 to 10
Fortify

• Cooldown increased from 8 to 10 seconds
Halt!

• Snare duration reduced from 1 to 0.65 seconds
Sigma

Gravitic Flux

• Can now be interrupted before targets begin falling
  • Impact slow duration reduced from 0.9 to 0.6 seconds
Accretion

• Explosion damage reduced from 60 to 40
Baptiste

Biotic Launcher (Primary Fire)

• Recovery time increased from 0.35 to 0.45 seconds
Biotic Launcher (Secondary Fire)

• Heal explosion reduced from 60 to 50

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
I have noticed "applying update" or whatev at least once before but I can't recall a big PTR balance change being pushed without a patch

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Sigma is really weak, nice. Previously he would win 1v1 vs just about anyone, not anymore.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man, 1-4 for Healer this season.

The only mistake I felt I made was in one game on Volskaya not building ult fast enough as Zen and getting the Ult off a second too late to save the Orisa/Roadhog tank combo we had.

The other 3 I felt more came down to a fact we had an instant lock widow that got Sights off maybe once each round and never swapped out of the role.

Oct 27, 2017
RIP Zen in meta Jan 2020 - Jan 2020.

The rise of Reinhardt as main tank, and the likelihood of a D.Va on the opposite team (who is more willing to solo jump a Zen as she can jet back out in 3 seconds), means it appears to be reverting to Lucio. Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.