• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Well, I landed at like 2300 and something for support, which I'm fine with, considering I've not played comp since season 11, I usually get around 2,600-2,700, and the last season I actually played properly outside placements was season 2 lol.

I'm definitely motivated to try and climb more, and possibly reach 3,000.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, they will definitely have to nerf all the DPS like Reaper, McCree, Mei... that they buffed to try and counter GOATS.
I don't even know what they buffed about mei that makes her so strong now other than that her freeze goes through multiple bodies...which I think it should really, but dang, she's so storng now lol

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Symm's beam gives me life, and i still remember enough of tp 2.0 to make it useful

Has our time come, sisters?

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Mei has always been strong but people just thought she was a troll pick before because most people did not bother to learn her because her skills don't translate well to other 'traditional' heroes.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even know what they buffed about mei that makes her so strong now other than that her freeze goes through multiple bodies...which I think it should really, but dang, she's so storng now lol
Her right click doesn't have damage fall-off anymore, which was an enormous change. Other than that she fits the meta perfectly (blocks Orisa/Roadhog pulls, has self sustain, AoE Freeze is lethal without any counters on the other team).
Mei has always been strong but people just thought she was a troll pick before because most people did not bother to learn her because her skills don't translate well to other 'traditional' heroes.
This is definitely not true. In meta's like Double Sniper she basically did nothing while she still had Damage Fall-off, she couldn't dive so was uneeded back then etc. It's really a meta + recent buffs thing.

Chance

Nov 22, 2017
The one thing I noticed about this patch on console is it seems to have FINALLY fixed PotG highlight intros (1) not loading the hero model until the intro is almost over and (2) having totally out of sync audio.

So I'm pleased. No fan noises that I noticed.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
I didn't get the opportunity to play Symm yet but my one DPS match I went Mei and I had a fantastic time

dorado attack: we had Sigma/Zarya and they had an Orisa set up above us- I just walled her off and we cleared that first segment without issue and that set the tone for the whole match lol

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, why do I have to hold down the shield button as Sigma to deploy his shield? Why can't I just tap the button and have him place the shield directly in front of him?

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there is anything particularly unfinished about Sigma. The maybe they should add a toggle option for the shield deployment, but it's not like that's some major feature that's missing.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
I don't think there is anything particularly unfinished about Sigma. The maybe they should add a toggle option for the shield deployment, but it's not like that's some major feature that's missing.

He feels clunky to play which can be addressed with more play testing. It's not about missing features is about polishing what is there.

You can also add the decal for his ultimate is smaller than it's actual range.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having trouble understanding how the separate SR update was supposed to be different for players who have been playing ranked since s1. I like the role lock because now I don't gotta deal with throwers locking 5 dps but I can still see myself placing high plat in these roles like always. Only difference is I can't flex out of my support or tank if someone of a different role isn't doing too hot and vice versa. Kinda sucks when w's are on the line when that's still the main thing that will either climb or drop sr. I guess I'm just wondering if SR works the same why even have three different rankings instead of just implementing role lock and keeping the one SR across all roles instead of having to do it 3 times

Last edited:

Chance

Nov 22, 2017
Feels clunky to you maybe. I'm fine. He has a good rhythm.

That's the thing - there's a rhythm to playing Sigma because everything outside of his Suck Hand has a wind-up. The rock has a big charge, the shield will take a moment to get there and his orbs are projectiles - Sigma can do very, very little via twitchy reaction.

He's all about reading a scenario and making his move first.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
So I backed off around the time GOATS ruled the world and Apex Legends dropped. Is there any TL:DR for the meta changes since then? D:

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
That's the thing - there's a rhythm to playing Sigma because everything outside of his Suck Hand has a wind-up. The rock has a big charge, the shield will take a moment to get there and his orbs are projectiles - Sigma can do very, very little via twitchy reaction.

He's all about reading a scenario and making his move first.
Exactly. He's a three star difficulty.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Shield definitely takes getting used to but I'm not sure I'd even want a one tap come out, maybe it could be an option. But it feels like that could lead to screwing up placing the shield at a short range other than right in front of you.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
I unlocked Sigma's Kinetic Grasp achievement in my first QP game today. XD
Full enemy team just shooting at me... lmao. It feels so good to absorb all the damage. I love it.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having trouble understanding how the separate SR update was supposed to be different for players who have been playing ranked since s1. I like the role lock because now I don't gotta deal with throwers locking 5 dps but I can still see myself placing high plat in these roles like always. Only difference is I can't flex out of my support or tank if someone of a different role isn't doing too hot and vice versa. Kinda sucks when w's are on the line when that's still the main thing that will either climb or drop sr. I guess I'm just wondering if SR works the same why even have three different rankings instead of just implementing role lock and keeping the one SR across all roles instead of having to do it 3 times

Because now you're supposed to have dps justified to be at the SR of the game you're currently playing, rather than someone who normally main tanks and that's why their SR is where it is, but decides to play DPS where they aren't as effective.

Oct 27, 2017
Shield definitely takes getting used to but I'm not sure I'd even want a one tap come out, maybe it could be an option. But it feels like that could lead to screwing up placing the shield at a short range other than right in front of you.

Yeah I think it should probably be an option. I've now realised what they were trying to do with it though: no matter if your shield is in or out, a tap will always result in there being no shield, and a long hold will always result in there being a shield (if you long hold with the shield out he recalls and replaces it when you hold the button).

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I gotta say, in theory I really liked the idea of 2-2-2 role queue...but nah, in execution it's just tilting me to no end.

It's clear a lot of players (on console) are just picking the role that has the shortest wait time. Also seeing lots of Anna's, Widows, and Hanzos. Hopefully as time progresses it gets better, but right now it's pretty painful to play with terrible teams & bad (if somewhat more balanced) comps.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta say, in theory I really liked the idea of 2-2-2 role queue...but nah, in execution it's just tilting me to no end.

It's clear a lot of players (on console) are just picking the role that has the shortest wait time. Also seeing lots of Anna's, Widows, and Hanzos. Hopefully as time progresses it gets better, but right now it's pretty painful to play with terrible teams & bad (if somewhat more balanced) comps.
People 'just picking the role that has the shortest wait time' will get adjusted to their proper SR/MMR within matches. People picking heroes in the game, not sure I see the problem.

But yeah, it's the beginning (literally day 2) of a completely new system. That will take work and getting used to.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
People 'just picking the role that has the shortest wait time' will get adjusted to their proper SR/MMR within matches. People picking heroes in the game, not sure I see the problem.

But yeah, it's the beginning (literally day 2) of a completely new system. That will take work and getting used to.

That's a good (and fair) point. When it drops to QP in September I'm sure that Comp will clean up quite a bit.

Chance

Nov 22, 2017
It's kinda' insane to me that it's in "comp" but not QP. I know it's like a Beta Pretend Comp Miniseason but still - comp and QP have always had the same rules and QP i some ways exists to prepare one's self for comp.

Having 2 different rule sets atm sucks. Should be 2 2 2 for both imo.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
Hit Diamond with DPS. Played tank next match, and the enemy Hammond and Doomfist clowned on our team's clueless DPS. Sombra apparently is still a mystery to them! It was legit our Ana hitting sleep darts that kept it from being a total domination.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I'm winning my tank games but my team is getting totally dominated when I'm healing. And it's not like I'm doing badly healing(3 glds, 1sil). The dps in my healing games have just been beyond trash. I think the tanks too lol.

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a support/tank main but I placed higher playing Doomfist than I did on support or tank. 2-2-2 is gonna be exposing a lot of fraudulent DPS players I think, I'll probably have to dust off my ancient Zenyatta if I want to keep playing support.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
Ayup, a good number of DPS players have no idea what to do against Doomfist. Just Soldiers and Hanzos and Widows getting punched into walls over and over.

and um new Brig is kinda awesome???

Really gotta play smarter than the old Brig, but there's a consistency to her healing that I like!

Last edited:

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like 222 much better, but I'll admit I'll miss being able to swap because the Doomfist and Reaper don't care about the Pharmercy.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The one thing I noticed about this patch on console is it seems to have FINALLY fixed PotG highlight intros (1) not loading the hero model until the intro is almost over and (2) having totally out of sync audio.

So I'm pleased. No fan noises that I noticed.
In two POTG earlier all characters models were frozen, but moving around. It still has issues. Base PS4.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Since this is role queue beta, does your SR carry over to when the next actual season starts? Because I'm kinda hoping it does since I went up 214 SR just from placements over last season. And that was with not even winning all 5 games. My tank and dps SR probably wont do the same though. I'm sure no one actually knows, but it would be nice if it did.

carlos

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm done with this for now, I had forgotten how playing this feels like a lottery whether you're on the shit team or not.
Now there's even less freedom to be able to make a difference when a switch is necessary.
For example, on Payload, a DPS symettra and sombra against 2 shield tanks is just Terrible team comp and torture to play as a tank.
More DPS needed? Too bad you're stuck with whatever you got paired up with and they don't switch either.

Long story short, game is still terrible for solo queue.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, I'm done with this for now, I had forgotten how playing this feels like a lottery whether you're on the shit team or not.
Now there's even less freedom to be able to make a difference when a switch is necessary.
For example, on Payload, a DPS symettra and sombra against 2 shield tanks is just Terrible team comp and torture to play as a tank.
More DPS needed? Too bad you're stuck with whatever you got paired up with and they don't switch either.

I don't think there's anything they can actually do to make solo queue not feel like a lottery honestly.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Since this is role queue beta, does your SR carry over to when the next actual season starts? Because I'm kinda hoping it does since I went up 214 SR just from placements over last season. And that was with not even winning all 5 games. My tank and dps SR probably wont do the same though. I'm sure no one actually knows, but it would be nice if it did.

We have no dev confirmation but it likely won't carry over.

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando

I'm having the best time now in solo queue and I was a 2-2-2 naysayer. I was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.