• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Man, the difference between my Tank and Support competitive games are like night and day.

Tank games everybody was at minimum cordial in chat, most of the time there was at least one shot caller and people being actively helpful in trying to strategize. All in all a great Overwatch experience, had a lot of fun. Got placed in the 2600s.

Support games were plagued with leavers and griefers. A game where all 5 of us asked the Widow to switch off to something useful because she wasn't getting any kills, she didn't respond at all and then started calling us toxic because we kept asking her to switch. A game where we hard fought to a 2-2, the other team got a lucky bomb on second Attack and got to 4-2, so one of our teammates decided to throw because "we all sucked and deserved to lose." A game where despite multiple attempts to group up, our DPS continued to run in solo without any backup while continually asking why the healers weren't doing their job. Basically every possible stereotypical awful Overwatch player in any given match. Got placed in 1600s.

It's a completely different atmosphere between Platinum and Silver and it's just striking to be able to jump back and forth between the quality of the game.

Is the SR fluctuation fixed? I like being able to play actual games as a Tank and don't want to nuke myself into Silver accidentally and start hating the game again because I lose two or three games.

The basic issue is the same issue D.Va had when her DM was turned into a resource bar, but before the DM got a cooldown.

If you have an ability that you can instantly pop that will negate damage at all times, then that's just a frustrating character to play against because you never have a window in which you can sneak in damage.

It's literally the same exact problem except now it's a shield.

The solution seems obvious to me and it's the same one D.Va got: Give him a 2 second cooldown on shield redeployment.

Sigma is fairly balanced even with the mobile shield. A cooldown makes him way too vulnerable and is counter to the whole idea that his advantage is his shield is the most mobile of them all. Like any other shield tank, if you get in a good flank he's fucked. He has to turn to deploy his shield, leaving the front open for attack.

I still think it's a kneejerk reaction to start nerfing/tweaking him immediately out of the gate (just like every response to every hero when they first come out). But if there's any tweak, I'd say give him a bigger punishment if he lets his shield break. Right now he can cast it again at 5 seconds but at lower HP I believe, and it takes about 10 seconds for a full shield. I'd tweak it so he can't recast it until it's fully charged, so 10 seconds without a shield minimum. It'll make Sigma more strategic and make players have to be very careful about leaving their shield up.

stingsabit

Nov 4, 2017
Waiting 10 minutes for a quickplay match... how fun. What a mess this role queue bullshit is.

Also, fuck comp. I've had leavers in most my placement matches. So fucking sick of it. Getting SHIT dps also.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
So should we blame Nintendo for not getting a cinematic this year? For not getting comics? For getting exactly the same events but with even less legendary skins?... who shoud we blame?

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
We absolutely must blame somebody. Just tell me who and i'll blame them! Blizzard is 1st that's for sure, but who do we blame 2nd??

Chance

Nov 22, 2017
Sigma isn't OP, I don't think. People've just forgotten how to play all the dive heroes that absolutely destroy him.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Waiting 10 minutes for a quickplay match... how fun. What a mess this role queue bullshit is.

Also, fuck comp. I've had leavers in most my placement matches. So fucking sick of it. Getting SHIT dps also.
I went to play in classic until they decide to remove it from arcade. Can't be arsed for comp lite without the cp

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Glad the role lock is in QP so I never have to play comp ever again. My god, what a disaster it is with the horrible matchmaking and quitters (and a lack of a proper solution for them). Now if we could only get cross-play between consoles to reduce matchmaking times.

Oct 27, 2017
Role queue is the worst. So I'm just stuck as a tank, if selected, for the entire match? This is rigid as fuck for quickplay and will probably murder creativity.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Sigma isn't OP, I don't think. People've just forgotten how to play all the dive heroes that absolutely destroy him.

Dive doesn't really work because of Mei. You dive in and you're frozen. Sigma and Orisa can drop some insane close range damage while keeping their shields up. Replace one of the two shield tanks with Hog and you still have insane close range damage.

The old Winston DVA dive tank combo has a lot of counters now which keeps bunker around and forces teams to mirror comps.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you've been waiting in a queue for a game and your match gets cancelled because somebody quit, you should be reprioritized at the top of the next queue.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Glad the role lock is in QP so I never have to play comp ever again. My god, what a disaster it is with the horrible matchmaking and quitters (and a lack of a proper solution for them). Now if we could only get cross-play between consoles to reduce matchmaking times.
youre still going to be in Q with the DPS instalockers who was playing dps before. now youre just stuck with them if they are bad as you and the other players can't swap roles and you have to suffer or quit or take the L.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
youre still going to be in Q with the DPS instalockers who was playing dps before. now youre just stuck with them if they are bad as you and the other players can't swap roles and you have to suffer or quit or take the L.

The thing is, if they're bad, they'll drop in rank, which is exactly how it worked before. But now there's more of a chance that the person you're playing with is actually a DPS who belongs at that rank instead of a tank who decided to throw a couple games on Widow for an afternoon.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, if they're bad, they'll drop in rank, which is exactly how it worked before. But now there's more of a chance that the person you're playing with is actually a DPS who belongs at that rank instead of a tank who decided to throw a couple games on Widow for an afternoon.
i was talking about qp

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
That's true, but at least in QP the matchmaking is more effective for me and I'm more often put on teams with people who know how to play. In Comp I'm constantly put in games with people who are new to the game while I have over 500 hours played. The Comp matchmaking seemingly disregards all of my playtime because it was mostly in QP so it assumes I'm new to the game? I'm not exactly sure how it works, but that's how it feels and it's a terrible experience. QP has given me much more competitive games as opposed to the lopsided blowouts I get when I play in Comp.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017

That woudl be a relevant argument if we were ever in a situation where players would swap roles when they could. Quickplay has been a complete joke of a mode for...idk even know how long because nothing resembling real overwatch was played on it. If you ever tried to get your team to work together, you were shut down with "it's qp, lol" more than half the time.

Even if your right, what it comes down to is that atleast now you will have a guarenteed two healers and two tanks no matter what happens, and that will result in more games than any situational instances where a DPS player would do better as Tank.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap apparently Syms pick rate quadrupled according to Overbuff.

Moira's doubled.

Probably not the exact figures but the two skinny queens are definitely trending up.

Welcome to the fold, new Sym mains. Lulz.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
lol apparently hacking Sigma makes his shield disappear in the PTR. I don't think that's in the patch note.

Hope they put that into the game.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
i feel like i never get repeat players in 2700~ SR , the range of players is much bigger too, so avoid doesn't matter that much.

Last edited:

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you gotta queue for every qp game now?this seems reasonable for comp and first qp match but it must be annoying if every match has a queue
Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking. Admittedly the games themselves were much more enjoyable with the role lock though - so it's definitely a plus there.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Why Moira? There were zero changes to her.
A consequence of 2-2-2. Moira maybe wasn't good when 2-2-2 could be switched off of or if the enemy was capable of running something other than 2-2-2. But on a level playing field, she is an easy to use mass healer with great DPS and survivability.

Double shield meta makes her useful as fuck, coal has even more value
This too. Her ultimate is one of the few that don't give no fucks about shields.

MG310

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if some of that is damage players also checking off healer and getting healer games 90% of the time.

It was a good night to be a Hog.

EDw95H5UcAA-hfF

Had 6 environmentals on Nepal, 11 on Ilios, and then another 5 on Lijiang.

Last edited:

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
role queue is the worst fucking thing to happen to this game

because now i'm a doomfist main

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is frustrating about Sigma is even when you beat/play around his shields (and often the other tank's) he just "lol, have a super defense matrix to deal with that also eats hooks and flails and gives me shields".

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
whose bright idea to allow one role Select menu for both quickplay and Comp? i was like. i didn't play QP today and why is tank picked. its because i was playing tank in Comp. thats why i see people wondering why they got support when they picked dps.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
here's a post on the japanese blizzard forums regarding the switch version, didn't see an equivalent on the english language forums yet
google translate:
After announcing the "Overwatch" for Nintendo Switch, many questions related to cross play have been received. The details of "Overwatch" released next month on Nintendo Switch are summarized below.

Q: If I already have an "Overwatch" for another platform, can I use my Nintendo Switch version for the customization items I have collected so far?
Answer: As with other platform versions of Overwatch, the collected items, results, and progress data are all managed individually by Nintendo Switch and cannot be shared between platforms. We hope that new players will enjoy "Overwatch" while also giving the existing "Overwatch" community a way to enjoy the new game.

Q: Does the Switch version of "Overwatch" support cross play / cross platform?
Answer: We are looking forward to the fascinating potential of cross-plays that are highly requested by the community. At the moment, there are a number of things that we need to coordinate between the development side and the various platforms to determine whether cross-play can be achieved in an optimal manner. We will continue to focus on cross-play system and technology development.
pretty much nothing we didn't already know, but hey, there it is

Status
Not open for further replies.