• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
So is it DLC or what? What I read just makes it sound like a PVE DLC and a visual update.

They say OW1+2 players play together, so if I don't care about PVE can I just stick with OW1 and still get all new characters and skins, or is stuff gonna start being OW2 exclusive?

PvE expansion and a rebranding is the best way to think about it. You don't have to pay anything if you just want to continue playing the PvP and get the visual upgrade, new maps and characters. If you want to play PvE you just have to unlock it.

q8hx0kod1bw31.png

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing that OW2 will also feature other new bells and whistles that aren't multiplayer-related that they haven't fully revealed yet. As it stands, I can't imagine them charging more than $30 for a relatively barebones story mode campaign and some replayable hero mission stuff.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I would have liked for the cinematic is Mercy's damage boost coming into play. Winston is able to topple the big robot thanks to Mercy giving him more strength with the damage boost but it gets on its feet again and charges another laser and then the pulse bomb+backpack part happens

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing that OW2 will also feature other new bells and whistles that aren't multiplayer-related that they haven't fully revealed yet. As it stands, I can't imagine them charging more than $30 for a relatively barebones story mode campaign and some replayable hero mission stuff.
We don't know how barebones the campaign will be, and having 30+ heroes all with 10 levels of talents introduces some pretty significant grind

I'm also gonna start hedging my bets that there will be exclusive cosmetics to players who purchase the PvE expansion, that the regular PvP players won't have access to

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to keep my expectations in check for the scope of the story mode, because 30+ characters to service within the story is a tall order and inevitably some people are going to be left out. But if they actually pull it off and somehow integrate everybody into this huge globe-spanning story across dozens of levels then it could be perfect.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to keep my expectations in check for the scope of the story mode, because 30+ characters to service within the story is a tall order and inevitably some people are going to be left out. But if they actually pull it off and somehow integrate everybody into this huge globe-spanning story across dozens of levels then it could be perfect.
Yeah, rein those in. Unless they have stories from both sides, you will only play Overwatch agents and OW-aligned characters - that's at least a third of the roster not included in campaign. You can only play the full roster in Agent missions (or whatever those repeatable ones are called)

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I've yet to see anywhere that OW1's visuals will also be upgraded... I read that OW1 and 2 will be on the same client, but doesn't that mean they will be running on the same network infrastructure, not necessarily the same engine with upgrades? I figure more than wanting folks to get OW2 for the PVE stuff, they'd want folks to also pay up for better visuals

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, rein those in. Unless they have stories from both sides, you will only play Overwatch agents and OW-aligned characters - that's at least a third of the roster not included in campaign. You can only play the full roster in Agent missions (or whatever those repeatable ones are called)

I don't think we're gonna get a ton of the characters at launch.

I imagine that they will try to get as much done of the original roster as they can and then add in everyone's pve levels and stuff over updates.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
It's a stand alone Alex I TION going forward but if you have OW1 you don't be left behind but I'm not sure how long that will last.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I need Lucio to get at least one outfit like Genji's thats casual as hell. I want to love that character design but they've always filled it with too much clutter and OW2 is just more of that.

That's how I feel about the new designs on the whole. Aside from Genji it feels like change for the sake of the rebrand and they didn't seem to know where to take a lot of it besides strapping more junk to the characters. I feel the same way about the engine update.

The actual single player content they showed looks fun enough for me to try the game again though. This type of co-op level based gameplay is what I wanted from the first game and tweaking the abilities for fun over balance is great. There was a worrying amount of footage from the old maps in the trailer though so I'll hold off until I see how many new enviroments they actually made.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I loved this song as soon as I heard it in the animated short. Blizzard always knocks it out of the park with the music for these games.

Last edited:

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
I won't expect it but I hope in Overwatch 2 they revise the PotG so it not just "X hit Q and kills multiple people" over and over or Bastion or Tjoborn kill a bunch of people with their turret mode. Maybe so you can actually see the clever but ultra rare Sombra PotG or anything from someone like Ana.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
ive always played on all low cause thats what all the pro's say and i dont want any slowdown.. i should take some time to appreciate the visuals if im just playing arcade or something..

i cant even remember not playing on all low

edit: damn i dont even play on native resolution

Last edited:

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is the game down for anyone else (in EU?). I was in a queue for a while, the message said the servers were busy. Then when I tried to log in ingame it said they locked my account due to suspicious activity and that they sent me an email. I didn't get any email. Then I logged on the Blizzard website and they sent me a verificaiton code, this time it worked. I don't see any sign of suspicious activity on the site, the recent locations listed for my activity on the site and OW are the right ones. So it may just be a busy server thing but their message saying my account is locked sure is fucking scary.

edit: wtf is this now

FrPpU2V.png

Last edited:

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017
Is the game down for anyone else (in EU?). I was in a queue for a while, the message said the servers were busy. Then when I tried to log in ingame it said they locked my account due to suspicious activity and that they sent me an email. I didn't get any email. Then I logged on the Blizzard website and they sent me a verificaiton code, this time it worked. I don't see any sign of suspicious activity on the site, the recent locations listed for my activity on the site and OW are the right ones. So it may just be a busy server thing but their message saying my account is locked sure is fucking scary.

edit: wtf is this now

FrPpU2V.png
I had the same issue; definitely got some problems going on.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is nobody talking about the push robot who is an extremely good boy that needs to be protected.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

I loved this song as soon as I heard it in the animated short. Blizzard always knocks it out of the park with the music for these games.

When Rein shatters in the music was so ace

Still not forgiving them for ruining Sigma tho :/

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hearing the Overwatch VA's read each other's lines brought a huge smile to my face today. Almost all of the VAs are amazing in this game.

Ok cool cool but is the Talon financier now voicing OW matches

I can't think of any other male omnics that it could be. It wouldn't be completely out of place considering the stuff you're doing in OW stages (King's Row EMP, stealing Doomfist's gauntlet)

Lots of people are getting real hung up on this sequel naming convention.

They kind of brought it upon themselves the number of times they said "redefining a sequel"

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Damage continues to be my highest placed role even though I play tank and support so much more. I think it's bc gold/plat console players can't aim for shit.

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
Tonight I finished my Arcade session with Junkenstein to earn the Sombra skin and close out the Halloween event. Beyond the three unlockable skins, I received NONE of this year's skins from loot boxes, and only two from last year's event (Moira and Torb). I had a surplus of coins so I decided to buy some of the previous years' skins rather than spend them on this year's lot.

Back to not playing until the next event.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Tonight I finished my Arcade session with Junkenstein to earn the Sombra skin and close out the Halloween event. Beyond the three unlockable skins, I received NONE of this year's skins from loot boxes, and only two from last year's event (Moira and Torb). I had a surplus of coins so I decided to buy some of the previous years' skins rather than spend them on this year's lot.

Back to not playing until the next event.
I feel like they reduced the drop rate for new skins because I've gotten 0 of the new skins in the past three events.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Anecdata; FWIW I got more skins this event than any other that I remember. Embarassingly while going through my skins this afternoon I found a Bastion one I never knew I had, from the Anniversary boxes.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
I feel like they reduced the drop rate for new skins because I've gotten 0 of the new skins in the past three events.

I got zero gold in the summer game event but got a few gold skins for Halloween, but only two from the actual event while the rest are non event crap. Got pirate Ana from last year and Ashe new skin from loot boxes.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda thought they goosed the legendary drop rates. I've gotten as many legendaries in this event as I have in the entire time I've been playing. (From boxes, not gold.)

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
I've yet to see anywhere that OW1's visuals will also be upgraded... I read that OW1 and 2 will be on the same client, but doesn't that mean they will be running on the same network infrastructure, not necessarily the same engine with upgrades? I figure more than wanting folks to get OW2 for the PVE stuff, they'd want folks to also pay up for better visuals

This is a bit late but here is confirmation, OW 1 will get engine upgrades but not the new look for the characters it seems.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
This is a bit late but here is confirmation

Thanks for this, I like that someone bookmarked it and the answer was pretty much right at the start out of their own mouth. Overwatch 2 really is an expansion in my mind with this being confirmed. Will be pretty interesting to see their pricing strategy, I could see this being a full price release for new folks, whereas for OW1 owners it's just the price of a DLC

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this, I like that someone bookmarked it and the answer was pretty much right at the start out of their own mouth. Overwatch 2 really is an expansion in my mind with this being confirmed. Will be pretty interesting to see their pricing strategy, I could see this being a full price release for new folks, whereas for OW1 owners it's just the price of a DLC

I guarantee you everyone is going to be paying full price for this. In their eyes it's a sequel.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I guarantee you everyone is going to be paying full price for this. In their eyes it's a sequel.
I guess, but if the engine is going to be updated along with all the maps and game modes already being included in the base game, I have a hard time believing they will charge full price, because people who love Overwatch now, may not necessarily care about PvE, making the purchase an easy pass, and all the work they put into "updating" OW1 will have been basically free for all of those folks (discounting microtransactions money that they may or may not have gotten from those users). Whereas if they charge full price for new buyers, and a reduced price for OW1 owners (a license type thing to unlock PvE) they would get more potential buyers that way since they would be rewarding current owners, who will have an easier time spending a dollar amount lower than full price for what is really an expansion outside of all the other free updates.

But who knows, maybe I'm wrong. To me it makes more business sense this way

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess, but if the engine is going to be updated along with all the maps and game modes already being included in the base game, I have a hard time believing they will charge full price, because people who love Overwatch now, may not necessarily care about PvE, making the purchase an easy pass, and all the work they put into "updating" OW1 will have been basically free for all of those folks (discounting microtransactions money that they may or may not have gotten from those users). Whereas if they charge full price for new buyers, and a reduced price for OW1 owners (a license type thing to unlock PvE) they would get more potential buyers that way since they would be rewarding current owners, who will have an easier time spending a dollar amount lower than full price for what is really an expansion outside of all the other free updates.

But who knows, maybe I'm wrong. To me it makes more business sense this way

If it doesn't sell at first (which I think it will, a large portion of the user base are people who care about the lore and not high skill level play) they can always put it on sale quickly.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The price point of the game is going to depend entirely on how much story content there is. If it's just 10 scripted Archive-style levels and then the replayable hero mission thing it's very hard to justify spending more than $20 on that. On the other hand, there could be upwards of 20-25 levels in the story. Nobody knows.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I'm expecting $60 since it's a "sequel" but I guess we'll see. I hope they have a version with the hood up for Genji.

skins-genji-model-02.png

skins-tracer-model-02.png
skins-mercy-model-02.png

Last edited:

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I like the mercy redesign in general, but I hate, hate, HATE her hair. Her old do was much better.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mercy's new bisexual haircut is iconic and I will not hear otherwise. It gives me life. More bobs for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.