• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I played my 15 placement matches tonight.

I won 3.

Like, ok, I get I'm stuck in Silver (now Bronze, thanks placements) in my Support rank. But statistically speaking you would think I would occasionally get the people who aren't brain-dead on my team, right?

Christ, I dunno, I mean I know the common denominator between all my games is me, but jesus I'm not this terrible at Overwatch. I'm solid Gold/Platinum level at pretty much everything but tonight was painful.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I played my 15 placement matches tonight.

I won 3.

Like, ok, I get I'm stuck in Silver (now Bronze, thanks placements) in my Support rank. But statistically speaking you would think I would occasionally get the people who aren't brain-dead on my team, right?

Christ, I dunno, I mean I know the common denominator between all my games is me, but jesus I'm not this terrible at Overwatch. I'm solid Gold/Platinum level at pretty much everything but tonight was painful.

It happens unfortunately. When role queue came out I lost all my dps placements and went down into silver. You just have to grind and get out. I still haven't gotten out but its a slow process.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
It happens unfortunately. When role queue came out I lost all my dps placements and went down into silver. You just have to grind and get out. I still haven't gotten out but its a slow process.

Played for three hours tonight. Won 2 games. Lost all my Tank games so now I'm Gold instead of Platinum. Won 2 Support games but lost 4 so I'm even further into Bronze.

I just don't get it. I'm on comms, I group up with team, I switch when needed, I keep my positioning correct and nothing ever works. Either there's a DPS playing Widow into double shield, or a Mercy who goes battle Mercy and lets our team die, or a Hammond who thinks his only job is to spin around on the point until he dies.

Maybe I'm just having bad nights, but unlike streamers/players who grind every night I don't have the time to dedicate all my game time until I get a few good nights. I have other games I want to play and at some point this just stops being fun.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Played for three hours tonight. Won 2 games. Lost all my Tank games so now I'm Gold instead of Platinum. Won 2 Support games but lost 4 so I'm even further into Bronze.

I just don't get it. I'm on comms, I group up with team, I switch when needed, I keep my positioning correct and nothing ever works. Either there's a DPS playing Widow into double shield, or a Mercy who goes battle Mercy and lets our team die, or a Hammond who thinks his only job is to spin around on the point until he dies.

Maybe I'm just having bad nights, but unlike streamers/players who grind every night I don't have the time to dedicate all my game time until I get a few good nights. I have other games I want to play and at some point this just stops being fun.

All of this is why I don't play comp. I'm not stressing the F out over dropping ranks in Competitive because of inept teammates.

To piggy back on this, I hate how the game's matchmaking is so aggressive at trying to keep you around 50% wins. If I can feel the game giving me shit teammates because I've been winning, I know its time to sign off. This sucks when I'm having a good time and want to keep playing, but don't want to suffer through a string of shit games.

Last edited:

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

well, one thing that's always helped me is to not play between 4pm and 11pm and friday afternoon until sunday evening. Its when games are their worst. Unfortunately I realize not everyone has a lot of free time.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada

Been in the same situation this week. It does feel pretty aggressive because I either win a ton of matches in a row, or I lose a bunch. And me being the thick headed person I am, I say "one more" and completely destroy my SR in a couple of hours lol. I've stopped paying too much attention to that number and play naturally, obviously I try my best every match but if my SR drops, oh well.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
All of this is why I don't play comp. I'm not stressing the F out over dropping ranks in Competitive because of inept teammates.

To piggy back on this, I hate how the game's matchmaking is so aggressive at trying to keep you around 50% wins. If I can feel the game giving me shit teammates because I've been winning, I know its time to sign off. This sucks when I'm having a good time and want to keep playing, but don't want to suffer through a string of shit games.

I played QP pretty much exclusively until role queue, but I thought competitive might be better/more balanced/fun after role queue. Turns out it's not. Problem is with QP you get even less teamwork and the games are even more of a crapshoot. A lot of my QP games are just 5 minutes of my team being staggered and rushing in one by one like a meat grinder.

Definitely agree with you about the 50% win rate, although right now it feels like they're forcing me into a 0% win rate.

well, one thing that's always helped me is to not play between 4pm and 11pm and friday afternoon until sunday evening. Its when games are their worst. Unfortunately I realize not everyone has a lot of free time.

Yeah that's the only time I can play. I work a regular 9-6 job during weekdays, so if I'm gonna play it's gonna be after work or on weekends. Don't really have a choice.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
PC talk:

The issue I have with aiming currently is that in order to aim and get kills properly with Baptiste, I have to set my sens extremely low (1600 DPI/in game sens at 1.30). This has been working pretty well except against flankers like Tracer and when trying to look up fast against Pharah. I'm getting there slowly but surely. I just need to play more and grind that muscle memory.

Anyway, a new friend I met on PC told me to do placement on Tank. I was hesitant at first because after role queue I'm basically a support one trick on console or PC but hey, wanted to have fun a bit instead of grinding support all day long. So since I'm a dirty Brig lover, Rein is my man! Uploaded a video on queue.gg would love your input:

SR range: mid to high plat. I'm 2800 after this game on Tank and currently 2840 on support.

Edit: will try to upload it on Youtube since queue requires login. Pretty silly.

Edit 2: Youtube link:

Last edited:

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
PC talk:

The issue I have with aiming currently is that in order to aim and get kills properly with Baptiste, I have to set my sens extremely low (1600 DPI/in game sens at 1.30). This has been working pretty well except against flankers like Tracer and when trying to look up fast against Pharah. I'm getting there slowly but surely. I just need to play more and grind that muscle memory.

Generally you should have your sensitivity low, but 1600/1.3 is really low. I assume you have a large mousepad, which is pretty essential.

For reference I'm at 800dpi 6 in game sens.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Generally you should have your sensitivity low, but 1600/1.3 is really low. I assume you have a large mousepad, which is pretty essential.

For reference I'm at 800dpi 6 in game sens.

I'm upping it slowly. It's at 1.45 now. I'm adjusting it till I get comfortable.

I will get a large mousepad soon.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I'm upping it slowly. It's at 1.45 now. I'm adjusting it till I get comfortable.

I will get a large mousepad soon.

Get as large of a mousepad as you can. If you're not restricted by space, having a low sens will not be a problem as you can still do quick 180's without issue.

My mouse area is a bit small, but I'm using a 13in x 11in mousepad. I can't go any bigger unless I get a keyboard without the numberpad.

Improving your set-up makes such a big difference. My aim has improved a lot, across every game I play. Until about 3 years ago I was still using a mouse with a ball in the bottom on a tiny mousepad. I was still really good at counter-strike somehow.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Today I played in a non serious tournament. It was the sub tournament for the OWL talent, Bren, Sideshow, MattMrX, and Reinforce. I was on team Bren and we went 2-0 against both MattMrX's team and Reinforce's team, then lost 1-2 against Sideshow not being serious since we already made the final. In the final we lost 1-3 unfortunately. It was still a lot of fun, but really tiring after playing Overwatch for 6 hours straight.

final
BSHQXTN.png

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
You think? Because he still seems to counter basically every tank. For any combo of tanks, i dont see a time when he wouldn't be useful.

Oct 27, 2017
No double shield should open up space for long ranged DPS that absolutely destroy Reaper. That is if DS is a thing of the past, of course.

I'm not sure about that. Ever since his teleport got buffed to the point where he has invincibility on arrival and thus no window to be punished, that traditional deficiency of his - that he can't close distances without pre-emptively popping his wraith form - is gone. It's why he was used even in bunker comps, as where he would have used to struggle to cross the 'no man's land', he can now just teleport safely across.

Reaper is a much more powerful and versatile character than he was a year or so ago with all the buffs he's had, so I don't think simple meta shifts are going to stop him from being good.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure about that. Ever since his teleport got buffed to the point where he has invincibility on arrival and thus no window to be punished, that traditional deficiency of his - that he can't close distances without pre-emptively popping his wraith form - is gone. It's why he was used even in bunker comps, as where he would have used to struggle to cross the 'no man's land', he can now just teleport safely across.

Reaper is a much more powerful and versatile character than he was a year or so ago with all the buffs he's had, so I don't think simple meta shifts are going to stop him from being good.
He is. He will still get dunked by Widow/Hanzo/Ashe and more without double shield.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I wonder if I'm the problem when I lead a contest for 1 minute and 39 seconds on Oasis and we still lose the round. I've been looking back through the replay for that one.

1 minute and 39 seconds from the time I jumped my little froggy ass onto point until the time I finally died as the last team member on point.

Where did it all go wrong? ;~;

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Today I played in a non serious tournament. It was the sub tournament for the OWL talent, Bren, Sideshow, MattMrX, and Reinforce. I was on team Bren and we went 2-0 against both MattMrX's team and Reinforce's team, then lost 1-2 against Sideshow not being serious since we already made the final. In the final we lost 1-3 unfortunately. It was still a lot of fun, but really tiring after playing Overwatch for 6 hours straight.

final
BSHQXTN.png

I need this in my life

How do I join pros scrims?

And yeah. I'm getting me a nice Razer Viper + large mousepad soon. :)

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
when comp isn't running double shield i can play ana.

we still ended up losing. there was always that one dps that couldn't pull their weight.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I need this in my life

How do I join pros scrims?

And yeah. I'm getting me a nice Razer Viper + large mousepad soon. :)

This was a subscriber tournament for some of the OWL talent. However, if you want to play in organized games, most streamers have them, but usually limited to subs. Also there's a reddit discord for them as well. I would just search for PUGs and you'll usually find something. Having an organized game is so much better than any solo queue experience you'll have.

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017
Can I ask a random question, I'm planning to get this on switch but I would play most of the time off of a hot spot on my phone. I'm on Vodafone in the UK and due to the type of connection not all switch games let me play online. It's mainly the first party titles like Splatoon and Smash that don't work for me. Rocket League is fine.

Does anybody have the game on Switch that has or could test on a Vodafone hot spot or a Nat 2 connection?

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing on my alt and let support hit masters. Trying to get main account to even stay above diamond for at least one game. There's no saving that one RIP

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
played in my highest SR game ever today, 3800, and recognized one of the players in the game as a streamer, fareeha, even though i'm 3300 which is my peak atm. there were player that had bests around 4200, kinda crazy.

feels amazing to to be placed in a game like that. i'll be there regularly one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.