• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand why they couldn't do more cool things with Sigma's gravity powers, instead of giving him a stupid barrier.

A rock shield (think Classic Mega Man shields) or a wall of rocks would've been cool and thematically work alongside his boulder ability.
Cant trigger sym2.0 mains with a rock wall

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why they couldn't do more cool things with Sigma's gravity powers, instead of giving him a stupid barrier.

A rock shield (think Classic Mega Man shields) or a wall of rocks would've been cool and thematically work alongside his boulder ability.
A barrier tank with a shield you can't shoot or walk through? That's troublesome. Mei is already pretty trolly

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
A barrier tank with a shield you can't shoot or walk through? That's troublesome. Mei is already pretty trolly

Going back to the Mega Man shield weapon thing:

Rock Barrier has offensive and defensive capabilities. When activated, Sigma is surrounded by eight small rock projectiles that briefly surrounds him to form a protective ring of rock that damages any nearby enemies that touch it. Each rock has a max HP of 112.5, making the barrier 900 HP max. The rock projectiles can deflect Primary Fire projectiles thrown at Sigma, & he can also fire these rocks at a fixed distance of 10 meters that do 9 DMG per shot. Firing all 8 will put out a maximum of 72 DMG.

The downsides is the more you fire, the less protection you get from the rock barrier. These rocks can only absorb so much damage before they are destroyed, and can only be fired in one fixed direction (think Doomfist's Rocket Punch). This barrier shield can't be used with Gravitic Flux, as casting GF will cancel out Rock Barrier and will immediately go back to cooldown. This barrier can't regenerate, and Sigma's Hyperspheres are disabled when Rock Barrier is in use.

Not perfect, but I already created a much more interesting barrier ability than summoning a god damn boring wall of HP that flies about.

Mei would be trolly with or without the wall tbh

Yeti hunt been giving me freeze ptsd

Yeti Hunter Mei: "Yeti Popsicle!"

agL9tBW.png

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Going back to the Mega Man shield weapon thing:

Rock Barrier has offensive and defensive capabilities. When activated, Sigma is surrounded by eight small rock projectiles that briefly surrounds him to form a protective ring of rock that damages any nearby enemies that touch it. Each rock has a max HP of 112.5, making the barrier 900 HP max. The rock projectiles can deflect Primary Fire projectiles thrown at Sigma, & he can also fire these rocks at a fixed distance of 10 meters that do 9 DMG per shot. Firing all 8 will put out a maximum of 72 DMG.

The downsides is the more you fire, the less protection you get from the rock barrier. These rocks can only absorb so much damage before they are destroyed, and can only be fired in one fixed direction (think Doomfist's Rocket Punch). This barrier shield can't be used with Gravitic Flux, as casting GF will cancel out Rock Barrier and will immediately go back to cooldown. This barrier can't regenerate, and Sigma's Hyperspheres are disabled when Rock Barrier is in use.

Not perfect, but I already created a much more interesting barrier ability than summoning a god damn boring wall of HP that flies about.
That is super interesting and creative, but it reduces Sigma's ability to protect teammates. With damage reduction and DPS output, you would effectively turn him into another Roadhog.

The shield is boring but it is a part of Sigma's shielding off-tank role, which is unique to him. So if you rework him to add a more fun ability, you take away a part of his utility

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
That is super interesting and creative, but it reduces Sigma's ability to protect teammates. With damage reduction and DPS output, you would effectively turn him into another Roadhog.

The shield is boring but it is a part of Sigma's shielding off-tank role, which is unique to him. So if you rework him to add a more fun ability, you take away a part of his utility

It isn't so much removing a boring ability and replacing it with a fun one, so much as replacing a boring ability with one that adds complexity and thought into his kit. I wanted to add this rock shield would be wide enough to protect Sigma's teammates and himself, but not as much as Orisa or Reinhardt's barriers. (Think of the size of Orisa's original barrier.) Risk VS. Reward, that sort of thing.

Just give Sigma players more thought into what they do with their abilities than doing the shield dance, mindlessly putting a wall up with little-to-no repercussions, or causing Pharah to comically self-destruct from her ult. Also, there's a thing about making him a pure Off-Tank than the quazy-Main/Off Tank thing the development team were trying to pull off to get more players to play the Tank role.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
It isn't so much removing a boring ability and replacing it with a fun one, so much as replacing a boring ability with one that adds complexity and thought into his kit. I wanted to add this rock shield would be wide enough to protect Sigma's teammates and himself, but not as much as Orisa or Reinhardt's barriers. (Think of the size of Orisa's original barrier.) Risk VS. Reward, that sort of thing.

Just give Sigma players more thought into what they do with their abilities than doing the shield dance, mindlessly putting a wall up with little-to-no repercussions, or causing Pharah to comically self-destruct from her ult. Also, there's a thing about making him a pure Off-Tank than the quazy-Main/Off Tank thing the development team were trying to pull off to get more players to play the Tank role.
So it's a moving shield AOE around Sigma, that provides damage resistance rather than damage mitigation?

Okay, yeah I'm on board. We don't have damage reduction in OW aside from armour.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Queued with my gold DPS friend again tonight. Handily won Havana and Lijiang playing harasser and not giving a fuck, knowing I couldn't be punished for any shenanigans.

So then I started feeling suspicious since I've only been playing comp with him on his DPS account. "Maybe I'm being inflated by not playing at my rank," I think.

Solo queued just now on Gibralter. Plats still act like golds. I'm at 2898. WTF is going on?????

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Queued with my gold DPS friend again tonight. Handily won Havana and Lijiang playing harasser and not giving a fuck, knowing I couldn't be punished for any shenanigans.

So then I started feeling suspicious since I've only been playing comp with him on his DPS account. "Maybe I'm being inflated by not playing at my rank," I think.

Solo queued just now on Gibralter. Plats still act like golds. I'm at 2898. WTF is going on?????

They will go back to their SR once they lose some games. For now, focus on you. That Diamond badge is only 5 or so games away. Grind that shit.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
They will go back to their SR once they lose some games. For now, focus on you. That Diamond badge is only 5 or so games away. Grind that shit.
I just played Hanamura. Once again played as harasser on defense because I don't respect the enemy team enough to kill me. I did die twice. Regardless, they got first point but didn't get a tick on second.

It's our turn on attack. I tell the team push in immediately, go right into that room, and rotate around. They do it- sloppily of course- and we put 6 minutes on the clock from just sheer aggression. I tell us to rotate around the stairs again on point 2. Enemy is in such disarray after Amplification Matrix in the choke that instead of going down the stairs we just fucking jumped off the high ground and picked the stragglers off.

I'm now 2921, 63 win percentage on my Froggo. Going to bed before I vomit from stress. xD

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I just played Hanamura. Once again played as harasser on defense because I don't respect the enemy team enough to kill me. I did die twice. Regardless, they got first point but didn't get a tick on second.

It's our turn on attack. I tell the team push in immediately, go right into that room, and rotate around. They do it- sloppily of course- and we put 6 minutes on the clock from just sheer aggression. I tell us to rotate around the stairs again on point 2. Enemy is in such disarray after Amplification Matrix in the choke that instead of going down the stairs we just fucking jumped off the high ground and picked the stragglers off.

I'm now 2921, 63 win percentage on my Froggo. Going to bed before I vomit from stress. xD

NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAISU

You on PC EU by any chance?

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017

man I wish I was good at this game

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
One of these days Blizzard will acknowledge that Reaper needs a nerf for 2:2:2.

Any day now...
I will never understand why blizzard is so stubborn on some of the most glaringly obvious issues of the game. They took forever to finally cop to the idea that Shadowstep needed to be faster/better if it was ever going to be useful and instead kept trying to buff his lifesteal to truly ridiculous heights. And now having finally fixed his Shadowstep, they are being stubborn about walking lifesteal back to where it was appropriate at 30%.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I will never understand why blizzard is so stubborn on some of the most glaringly obvious issues of the game. They took forever to finally cop to the idea that Shadowstep needed to be faster/better if it was ever going to be useful and instead kept trying to buff his lifesteal to truly ridiculous heights. And now having finally fixed his Shadowstep, they are being stubborn about walking lifesteal back to where it was appropriate at 30%.
Yeah it's absurd.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
The fact that they nerfed all the shields in the game, but kept DPS exactly the same, says a lot about their balance...

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Lol

I watch Sty too since I tend to take breaks and he is a good refresher. Was just a joke.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
I've been watching Surefour's streams on break, been pretty educational watching his positioning and engagement. Especially now that Calvin doesn't stream OW anymore.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Who do you play? I'm not the best but I can give tips better than Stylosa lol.

Any videos?
It's been a hot minute, I'm sure I'm rusty. I'm technically a flex with a handful of heroes under my belt, but even before role lock I spent most of my time healing with Zen and Bap, though I'm competent at all of them.

I don't have VODs. One day when I get back in the game, I may take you up on your offer. Really, I'm not awful, I was just expressing envy at Nep's near-diamond status

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
It's been a hot minute, I'm sure I'm rusty. I'm technically a flex with a handful of heroes under my belt, but even before role lock I spent most of my time healing with Zen and Bap, though I'm competent at all of them.

I don't have VODs. One day when I get back in the game, I may take you up on your offer. Really, I'm not awful, I was just expressing envy at Nep's near-diamond status

Dude. I can barely aim on PC and reached Diamond. If I can do it, anyone can.

If you are on PC or Xbox, I can join your game on QP and spectate at least.

Also, the trick to going high in this bis game is to one trick and less flexing. I know I know we shouldn't one trick but it's the easiest way to master your main and exploit meta heroes.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
picked up the few skins that didn't drop and now time for a break from overwatch for a few weeks.

any predictions for overwatch in 2020 guys?

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I thought you were already Diamond at least. Like Master or something. xD

I just assume all the regulars are amazing and I'm the one catching up.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Lost twice in a row and fell down to 2910. Most of it due to trickling and toxicity, which you'd think would be lessened with time.

The worst was a dude who got mad because he got told to swap to Junkrat. Except no one told him to swap. Someone suggested A Junkrat for shield break, HE said Junkrat was trash, and a couple of us countered that he's not trash, and is actually stronger in a meta with fewer shields.

No one ever actually told him to switch. And he still got pissed. Then he thought he was hot shit for getting PotG on Genji for deflecting damage coming from Grav'd enemies.

Another lesson learned: Do not give up Lucio to another Lucio main just because your friend tells you to be nice.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
910. Most of it due to trickling and toxicity, which you'd think would be lessened with time.

The worst was a dude who got mad because he got tol
Lost twice in a row and fell down to 2910. Most of it due to trickling and toxicity, which you'd think would be lessened with time.

The worst was a dude who got mad because he got told to swap to Junkrat. Except no one told him to swap. Someone suggested A Junkrat for shield break, HE said Junkrat was trash, and a couple of us countered that he's not trash, and is actually stronger in a meta with fewer shields.

No one ever actually told him to switch. And he still got pissed. Then he thought he was hot shit for getting PotG on Genji for deflecting damage coming from Grav'd enemies.

Another lesson learned: Do not give up Lucio to another Lucio main just because your friend tells you to be nice.

Yep. You basically have to be selfish in order to win at times.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
I would kill for the ability to filter out King of the Hill maps from Quick Play and Mystery Hero I hate playing on them outside of competitive since on QP/MH it always "lose round one, win round two, lose round three" or "win round one and lose round two and three".

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Lmao no
Tilted diamonds are the worst

Tilted anyone is a terrible experience. I tried getting my lowest role up, which is DPS. Its currently still stuck in silver and its so bad. Before role lock, it had been so long since I was in silver I forgot what it was like. People tilt and give up at the slightest thing, and its so frustrating. They also start blaming other people immediately.

Not all my games were like that, but when I play in gold on tank, or plat on support, I get a lot less of it.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Tilted anyone is a terrible experience. I tried getting my lowest role up, which is DPS. Its currently still stuck in silver and its so bad. Before role lock, it had been so long since I was in silver I forgot what it was like. People tilt and give up at the slightest thing, and its so frustrating. They also start blaming other people immediately.

Not all my games were like that, but when I play in gold on tank, or plat on support, I get a lot less of it.
tilted diamonds not only blame other people, they feel like they're the gods of the game because their rank is top 20% of the playerbase or smt

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I ended up on a stream tonight!

Starts at 4:09 mark. You will also get to hear my voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.