• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
HERO UPDATES
Baptiste

• Immortality Field maximum duration reduced from 8 to 5 seconds
  • Immortality Field cooldown increased from 20 to 25 seconds
  • Amplification Matrix ultimate cost increased by 20%
Mei

• Endothermic Blaster slowing effect now reduces enemy movement speed from 20-70%, down from 30-90%
  • Slowing effect duration reduced from 1.5 to 1.0 second
D.Va

• Boosters cooldown decreased from 5 to 3 seconds
Orisa

• Fortify damage reduction reduced from 50% to 40%
Hanzo

• Primary fire maximum projectile speed reduced from 125 to 110
Doomfist

• Uppercut recovery time increased from 0.2 to 0.5 seconds

Oct 27, 2017
All sounds like good stuff. Especially that Mei thing.

Slightly worried about the D.Va buff, but she needs something and of all the things to improve, booster cooldown seems like the least controversial.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I was always confused by the CD didn't start until after the IF was deployed, but I guess it doesn't matter now since even if the IF stays alive as long as possible, its cooldown will always be 20 seconds and more if it's killed before then. Seems reasonable.

Idk how much Mei's nerf will affect her at all.

I might be wrong, but D.Va's booster cooldown don't feel like they do much at all. Maybe if they were just always available 100% of the time like Soldier's sprint, that'd be a game changer, but idk.

Orisa's will probably hurt her a bit, but I'm fine with Orisa right now, it's Sigma whose a monster.

Hanzo's is good, but man does it make him feel sluggish after so long of the quicksnipe Hanzo.

And Doomfist might actually be fucked by this one. I'm not a doomfist player, but just hopping onto the training range, you can feel the delay of his uppercut and him taking his shots. This will utterly mess with his combo making abilities, which might just straight up kill him.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
btw, it's day 3124828051734242563 of reaper having an overpowered life steal and he still isn't getting a nerf.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
I'm surprised to see the DF change vs one for Reaper, that seems to put the most stress on the idea of teh tension between changes for high level vs low level play.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I love how Blizzard know they fucked up by buffing Baptise damage out of nowhere, yet refuse to budge from that decision.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
bap nerf looks minuscule. He stays winning
He's gonna stay winning until they massively tone down either his healing or his dps.

The thing is, if he didn't have immortality field at all, he'd still be a super strong character, he'd just have no utility since all he'd be able to do is heal or damage. He'd be like a skillful Moira, in other words, but if you could pull that off with aiming, you could make him work.

The most absurd thing about him is that he has DPS character level of damage along with some of the strongest healing and one of the most useful abilities in the game. Making his IF slightly harder to use is good, but he still makes Soldier 76 superfluous.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Yeah Bap feels bad as someone who enjoyed playing Zen before... I always feel both internally and externally like I HAVE to use Bap in order to not only have a high healing output along with damage. Unless the other support uses Bap, I can't use my monk boy :(

stingsabit

Nov 4, 2017
Doomfist and Hammond completely ruin matches and this game for me, holy shit. After all this time nobody knows how to deal with them, and they're easily ignored until they wipe part of your team and when they try to go after them the rest of the enemy team wipes your team... SUCH FUN!

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
After so much time in plat playing DPS, the biggest issue is this notion that DPS are suppose to carry games and tanks and supports are just along for the ride.

There is never any thought to counter play the other team. Hey they have a Genji that is just slicing us up with a blade, not even nano, can we get a defensive ult? Nah, dps should kill him during it.

Hey their constantly diving the back line, does anyone swap to brig? Nah, dps should be protecting the backline and killing the other team.

Hey they have a Reaper/Sombra might not want to play Winston here. But he's good on this map.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
I wish they'd just make rez an ult again, remove valkyrie, and make multi-beam a brief cooldown ability so she can at least pretend to compete with the healers who can heal more than one person at a time (aka nearly all of them)

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
I wish they'd just make rez an ult again, remove valkyrie, and make multi-beam a brief cooldown ability so she can at least pretend to compete with the healers who can heal more than one person at a time (aka nearly all of them)
That actually sounds cool. Like boosting or overcharging her staff to heal multiple targets with CD that is not an Ultimate CD.
But having a single rez as Ultimate ability would be really lame.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Problem is Mercy's ult, and a lot of the OG design for Overwatch, existed for a different game. A game where you could play any character and counter the enemy's strategies. But as Overwatch has gone on it has been distilled into this 2v2v2 nightmare where you pick a strat and stick to it, hoping you will outplay the enemy. So every balance change is made with that in mind--and anything not fitting into the mold is sanded off.

I fully expect OW2 to complete Overwatch's transformation into a traditional FPS.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Problem is Mercy's ult, and a lot of the OG design for Overwatch, existed for a different game. A game where you could play any character and counter the enemy's strategies. But as Overwatch has gone on it has been distilled into this 2v2v2 nightmare where you pick a strat and stick to it, hoping you will outplay the enemy. So every balance change is made with that in mind--and anything not fitting into the mold is sanded off.

I fully expect OW2 to complete Overwatch's transformation into a traditional FPS.

Mercy rez ult was never good design at any point in the game's history. I think a lot of people would disagree with the FPS part because the game has become much more focused on ability/ult usage then pure mechanical skill, basically more MOBA then FPS. You can usually tell who will win a fight based off the ults a team has rather then the skill of the players. A lot of high level players have left because of the lessen importance of FPS skill.

So you want to play tank?

Last edited:

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
With Wrecking Ball becoming more meta, the fact that the character is designed being annoying as possible really sucks. I swear I spend half my time in the air some games.

Gungriffon

Oct 30, 2017
After so much time in plat playing DPS, the biggest issue is this notion that DPS are suppose to carry games and tanks and supports are just along for the ride.

There is never any thought to counter play the other team. Hey they have a Genji that is just slicing us up with a blade, not even nano, can we get a defensive ult? Nah, dps should kill him during it.

Hey their constantly diving the back line, does anyone swap to brig? Nah, dps should be protecting the backline and killing the other team.

Hey they have a Reaper/Sombra might not want to play Winston here. But he's good on this map.

During my Support placements, 3 games came down to the enemy Having a Bastion and our DPS still running doomfist/Junkrat of something equally useless. Literally Spawn, get gunned down, spawn, repeat.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
I'll rotate Brig and let them know I will switch back if someone else does cc. They rarely if ever do. Although last 30s "finally switch to Mei" is my favorite "DPS knew they were wasting our time" rotation, usually against Ham natch.

Just got out of a match where opposing dps regularly flanked and enfiladed healers, our two DPS refused to even get into voice chat much less deal with it. C'est la vie.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
With Wrecking Ball becoming more meta, the fact that the character is designed being annoying as possible really sucks. I swear I spend half my time in the air some games.

This is why I hate Hammond design. It's rich coming from a dirty Brig lover but constant boops is more annoying than getting stunned.

Can I play the game please?

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

DPS have way more and way better options to counter enemy picks. If a Genji keeps wiping us with Blades, why hasn't DPS switched to something that will shut him down before that so he doesn't get a blade every big fight?

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
we had no business of pushing the payload that far with 5v6 but we did. and we had no business winning the game as 5v6 but we did. our torb was throwing the whole game because he couldn't play widow.

Oct 26, 2017
Been back on this recently over a year break I think. Game is in a much better state than when I left it. Really like Sigma but he is so slow. Hammond is still brilliant.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
been in a few games where people don't want to go double shield but hey. i get to play ana so its win win for me.

gonna have to do placement on main and other alt and see how it goes.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
It depends. Last years Lunar NY started Jan 24. The year before's started Feb 8. The year before that (the first one) was the Jan 24th again. So between the Jan 24 and Feb 8 seems to be the range here.
Yeah but Lunar NY has different dates every year, so we can't really look back at past years.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand why people say all the new heroes AFTER ana 'ruined the game'

when Ana's the one who introduced burst healing

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
OWL team official twitter
leak.png

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand why people say all the new heroes AFTER ana 'ruined the game'

when Ana's the one who introduced burst healing
The concept of burst healing isn't bad, and at the time it was kept to a single character who had it on cooldown and had to aim to make use it. But when most healers can do it with little skill involved and have massive basic hps on top of that....

Also, wouldn't Lucio's amp it up count as burst healing?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's likely that they're internally targeting a late 2020 release (probably the week after Blizzcon). The question is whether OWL season 4 will be played on OW2; it's possible they're keeping OWL teams in the loop and maybe letting them play early before everyone else if they intend for OWL to be on the OW2 patch.

And of course, if the game gets delayed to early 2021, all of this gets thrown out the window.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
The concept of burst healing isn't bad, and at the time it was kept to a single character who had it on cooldown and had to aim to make use it. But when most healers can do it with little skill involved and have massive basic hps on top of that....

Also, wouldn't Lucio's amp it up count as burst healing?

No, Lucio's heals are definitely HOT (Heals Over Time) than BH. Even when you use Amp It Up to increase his healing rate for a short duration, it's still just a buff on the player which heals them a certain amount. It's a lot of upkeep if you are careless, on top of having to keep track of cooldowns and buff timers, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.