• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Forced meta change by the developer is quite simply crap. Adjust heroes that need to be adjusted, don't limit heroes

Its like Blizz has completely given up on quick heroes switches to counter comps and buff/nerf heroes in that regard

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
But they have been making adjustments and people still play the same heroes. That's the problem

Because they are clearly not making drastic enough changes that actually shake things up.

How did the the recent shield nerf not happen already during the height of goats.

How did the Reaper heal nerf not happen right when 222 came out

How has Sombra limited viability in standard comps, really got her time in non 222 comps as she didn't replace other dps then they force 222 and she is back to a niche pick and they don't care

Why didn't they buff Junkrat's damage against shields when 222 came out and have him shred through shields.

Why does Ashe continue to simply exist in her spot where seemingly no one bothers picking her.

Etc.

The problem is time and time again the seemingly best counter to a comp is to just mirror it or atleast people are unwilling to even try to counter it.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
But they have been making adjustments and people still play the same heroes. That's the problem

That's more of how they don't do directed balance and try to out smart the situation. Like when they nerfed shields during double shields wasn't going to change the fact that Sigma is better then any other off tank and his best pair was Orisa. That caused a trickle down affect with the rest of the picks.

Same thing with goats, moth and dive they didn't want to nerf the problems within those comps.

I'm more hopeful with their change in balance philosophy but an alright with trying different things. Kinda wish they revert the shield nerf.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Because we've been moving away from uniqueness, moving tanks and supports to more dps that have more hp/ can heal then actual tank and supports.
I very much disagree with that statement and even if it were the case, it is the much better alternative over barrierwatch. IMO of course, but not really interested in having this discussion again.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Toxicity in text chat is one of the main reasons I give up 4k max settings on my PC copy and just keep playing my PS4 copy. At least there I can have voice chat turned off and avoid all but gameplay toxicity.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Forced meta change by the developer is quite simply crap. Adjust heroes that need to be adjusted, don't limit heroes

Its like Blizz has completely given up on quick heroes switches to counter comps and buff/nerf heroes in that regard
Its because they honestly have given up on getting the balance of the game right. This is why we got role locks and now hero pools. Its essentially admitting they can't get the balance of the game right.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I have for awhile believed there's only so much they can do to the game, and that the best option they had would be to start over from scratch for a full-fledged sequel when it happened. So Overwatch 1 would be that, and would continue to exist, and Overwatch 2 would be a complete from the ground up different game. Instead, Blizzard seems to be going down the route of Overwatch 1 remaining with a sequel simply adding more content on top of it.
but you can just not auto join/off chat in setting.
I'm talking about text chat. Console doesn't have it, so by not being in voice chat on console I avoid toxicity completely (beyond the toxic actions players can do in gameplay, of course). On PC you can turn off voice-chat, but as far as I know text chat can't be turned off.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
I have for awhile believed there's only so much they can do to the game, and that the best option they had would be to start over from scratch for a full-fledged sequel when it happened. So Overwatch 1 would be that, and would continue to exist, and Overwatch 2 would be a complete from the ground up different game. Instead, Blizzard seems to be going down the route of Overwatch 1 remaining with a sequel simply adding more content on top of it.

I'm talking about text chat. Console doesn't have it, so but not being in voice chat on console I avoid toxicity completely (beyond the toxic actions players can do in gameplay, of course). In PC you can turn off voice-chat, but as far as I know text chat can't be turned off.
oh right. you can always /hidechat or CTRL+SHIFT+C for each game.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Toxicity in text chat is one of the main reasons I give up 4k max settings on my PC copy and just keep playing my PS4 copy. At least there I can have voice chat turned off and avoid all but gameplay toxicity.

While the toxicity on PC is insane, it can lead to funny moments. Last weekend in comp the Reinhardt on our team just went on a tirade, berating the supports and dps, and then out of nowhere one of the dps who sounded like he couldn't have been no older than 12 just unloads on the dude. The rest of us (aside from the jerk tank) were howling.

I seriously need to start recording my games. lol

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I didn't know you could do that! Thank you! Is that command assignable to a button? I'm unable to play KB+M due to joint pain so I use a controller and play heroes that don't require precise aiming to be considerate.
idk. haven't tried it tbh. sorry.

While the toxicity on PC is insane, it can lead to funny moments. Last weekend in comp the Reinhardt on our team just went on a tirade, berating the supports and dps, and then out of nowhere one of the dps who sounded like he couldn't have been no older than 12 just unloads on the dude. The rest of us (aside from the jerk tank) were howling.

I seriously need to start recording my games. lol

some games are fun to listen to especially games people are just having fun. those are the games im like i should be recording more but then remember monthly b/w cap RIP. i should just make edits of funny moments but that would require me to make notes. RIP.

Gungriffon

Oct 30, 2017
I hate the idea of hero pools. I want to play my best hero, and want to play AGAINST the oppositions best.
As long as its comp only then fine, but if I ever can't play Zarya in Qp this game is done.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
We've officially gotten to the point of the game where idiots will yell at tanks for not doing double shield even though there have been patches that significantly weakened that meta.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
We've officially gotten to the point of the game where idiots will yell at tanks for not doing double shield even though there have been patches that significantly weakened that meta.
I feel like double shields is the laziest comp to play, so I can understand why support and DPS would prefer it. Especially if your DPS want to play double snipers.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
So I played in a tournament today, it was the Avast sub tournament. Unfortunately we lost. We were the lowest SR team and got matched up against the highest SR team, and they were just better. We were confident as we practiced against two other teams and did really well. Oh well, at least it was fun

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
So I played in a tournament today, it was the Avast sub tournament. Unfortunately we lost. We were the lowest SR team and got matched up against the highest SR team, and they were just better. We were confident as we practiced against two other teams and did really well. Oh well, at least it was fun
Yooo im also in the tourney. I'm Donk on minionPls.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If I'm playing support I want some protection, chances are the DPS ain't doing shit in that regard and will happily ignore the enemy jumping the support over and over. The ball rolling about somewhere isn't gonna help and the Hog is probably hiding while hook on cool down.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Got all the event skins and honestly Brigitte really grew on me. Colors are so, so nice. I like how her flail and shield look. Only thing i dislike about her Lunar skin is her face/makeup.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
New PTR, No hero balance changes But they finally fixed the biggest bug

• Competitive Seasons are now listed in the correct order in career profile​

Also
3f3hUq9.png

Overwatch PTR Patch Notes – February 4, 2020
A new Overwatch patch is in development and now available for testing! To share your feedback or report any issues, please post in the PTR Feedback or PTR Bug Report forums.

Please note that the below patch notes only include changes currently available for testing on the PTR. While many of these changes may also be available on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in a future patch, the PTR is PC-only and only reflects changes coming specifically to that platform.

GENERAL UPDATES
New Feature: Hero Pools

We will be introducing Hero Pools starting in Season 21 of Competitive Play. Much like Map Pools, rather than having all heroes available for play at all times, a weekly changing list of heroes will be available. The list will include the vast majority of the hero roster, with only a few being excluded during any given week. We think this feature will help keep Competitive Play interesting, as team compositions will change more frequently during a season.

It is important to note that Hero Pools is a new feature that may not last past this initial season. Throughout the season, we will be adjusting the types of Hero Pools available. In addition, it is possible we will also adjust the frequency with which they change.

General

• The Game Mode selector in the Career Profile is now sorted more logically to make it easier to use.
  • A group leader may not use the Leave as Group option while a competitive game is currently in progress.
  • The initial Assemble Heroes timer for games using the Assault, Hybrid, Control, and Payload game modes has been reduced from 40 to 35 seconds.
  • Mei's Ice Wall now has a visual damaged state when under half health
  • Updated the interactions between all stuns (Flashbang, Earthshatter, Freeze, Sleep, Accretion) to be more consistent.
Developer comment: New stuns will only replace existing stuns if their duration is longer than the time remaining on the current stun. For example, a Flashbang stun will not apply to someone who has just been Earthshattered. We use the minimum guaranteed stun time for Ana sleep, which right now is 1.5 seconds (time to fall down + time to stand back up).

WORKSHOP UPDATES
New Workshop Features

• Custom Game Maps:
    • Workshop Chamber
    • Workshop Island
    • Workshop Expanse
  • Script Diagnostics Panel
  • Subroutines
Developer Comment:

• We've added the ability for rules to call subroutines (which are rules with a Subroutine event type) using the new Call Subroutine action. When a subroutine is called, execution is temporarily shifted to another rule while keeping contextual values such as Event Player, Attacker, and Victim the same. When the subroutine rule finishes or aborts, the original rule picks up where it left off. Subroutines may call other subroutines or even themselves, though we enforce a maximum depth of 1024 calls. Waits are allowed in subroutines, and if such a Wait is ever interrupted (and the interruption isn't being ignored by the Wait), the entire call stack is aborted, and the original rule is restarted or aborted.
  • Subroutine rules may also be started in parallel using the Start Rule action. Unlike with the Call Subroutine action, the original rule continues execution immediately, and the subroutine rule executes on its own some time later (either on the same frame if below the original rule or on the next frame if above). As with Call Subroutine, contextual values such as Event Player, Attacker, and Victim are copied over to the subroutine rule.
  • Subroutine names can be added and modified using a new button at the top of the editor.
New Workshop Actions

• Start Healing Modification
  • Stop Healing Modification
  • Stop All Healing Modifications
  • Enable Inspector Recording
  • Disable Inspector Recording
  • If
  • Else If
  • Else
  • While
  • End
  • For Global Variable
  • For Player Variable
  • Call Subroutine
  • Start Rule
Developer Comments:

• To make writing logic easier, we've added several new flow control actions (If, Else If, Else, While, End, For Global Variable, and For Player Variable). These actions are optimized to cause minimal server load. When using them, the editor will indent to show where sections of logic start and stop. To conclude such an indented section, use the End action. When in doubt, each action has a detailed tool tip explaining how it is used. These tool tips can be displayed by hovering over the action name or by pressing the appropriate controller button.
  • The Enable and Disable Inspector Recording actions offer two benefits: First, they allow selective debugging of only those sections of a script that you need to study. Second, disabling recording can reduce server load, especially when setting or modifying arrays.
New Workshop Values

• Event Was Health Pack
  • Last Healing Modification ID
Workshop Updates

• Action and Condition Comments
  • Melee and Reload Button Options
  • Added Sort Order Reevaluation Options for Create HUD Text
  • The Skip and Skip If actions now accept 0 for the number of actions to skip (so they just go on to the next action)
  • A Wait action is no longer required before a Loop
  • Straightened Beam Effects
  • Set Status/Clear Status behavior merged with gameplay stuns (e.g. Clear Status can now clear a freeze that was caused by gameplay, not just a freeze set via Workshop itself)
  • Custom Game settings now support Copy-Paste
Workshop Optimizations

• Set Global Variable
  • Set Player Variable
  • Modify Global Variable
  • Modify Player Variable
  • Set Global Variable At Index
  • Set Player Variable At Index
  • Modify Global Variable At Index
  • Modify Player Variable At Index
  • Loop
  • Loop If
  • Abort
  • Abort If
  • Skip
  • Skip If
Developer Comment: Variable manipulation and flow control actions previously caused high server load, so we spent some time making them more lightweight. When combined with the new Disable Inspector Recording action, these changes may result in significant reduction in server load for Workshop modes that rely on heavy variable logic, particularly those that manipulate arrays. In light of these changes, we're removing the restriction that requires a Wait action before a Loop, though be advised that excessive looping in a single frame can still cause server load issues, especially when using actions other than those listed above. Note that setting or modifying multiple player variables with a single action (by providing an array of players) is not optimized, nor is setting or modifying a variable that is ever used by a Chase action. Finally, keep in mind that some values (such as the Ray Cast values) can cause quite a bit of server load on their own, even if using the optimized actions above.

BUG FIXES
General

• Killing B.O.B no longer grants score for FFA and Team Deathmatch
  • Competitive Seasons are now listed in the correct order in career profile
  • Replay list should no longer have invisible entries
  • Fixed a bug where avoided teammates did not appear in the avoided teammate list if they were not also in the recent player list
  • Fixed a bug where the Player Outline Strength gameplay option did not adjust the opacity of player outlines
  • Fixed GPU temperature query on newer AMD hardware and drivers
Maps

Petra

• Fixed a bug that caused Reinhardt's Earthshatter not to work correctly on Petra's collapsible floor
  • The breakable floor is now targetable by Reaper's Shadow Step, Symmetra's Teleporter, or Doomfist's Seismic Slam
Heroes

Ashe

• Fixed a bug that could cause B.O.B's charge to end early on stairs
Junkrat

• Fixed a bug where, occasionally, the explosion for Junkrat's mine would appear near the top of his head instead of on the mine
Mercy

• Fixed a bug that could cause Mercy to not get a skull/hit marker on assists
Wrecking Ball

• Fixed a bug that prevented Wrecking Ball's voice lines from playing when opened in lootboxes
Custom Game

• Fixed an issue preventing player invites when the custom game was imported via a share code
  • Fixed an issue where preset slots could be overridden when saving settings from another player's custom game
  • Fixed an issue that allowed skirmishing friends to get into your custom game when the "Allow Skirmishers" option was disabled
Workshop

• Fixed an issue where Sigma's Primary Fire was sometimes disabled when disabling Experimental Barrier via Custom Game Settings
  • Fixed an issue preventing Has Status from working correctly when querying the Unkillable status
  • Fixed an issue where scores in Deathmatch display incorrectly if the score is set to a high number via Workshop actions
  • Fixed an issue preventing setting scores or declaring victory in Team Deathmatch from working correctly via Workshop actions
  • Fixed an issue where Training Bots sometimes wouldn't respawn in Practice Range
  • Fixed an issue preventing the Sleep status from being interrupted early via Workshop actions
  • Fixed an issue with the Death Spectate actions when Enable and Disable are alternated repeatedly
  • Fixed an issue causing the Buff Impact sound to play twice
  • Fixed an issue causing the pitch (vertical) angle to be reset when using the Teleport action
  • Fixed an issue preventing Disable Built-In Game Mode Completion from working in certain modes
  • Fixed an issue where effects sometimes were the wrong size and color

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale

They're finally give some barren maps so no more rooftop Havana
To make things easier, Reed and Metcalf worked with the Overwatch map team to give creators three brand new maps that are available exclusively in custom games: Workshop Chamber, Workshop Island, and Workshop Expanse. Workshop Chamber is an enclosed 40x40-meter room. Workshop Island is the same size, but it doesn't have a roof or walls. Finally, there's Workshop Expanse, a blank 900x900-meter plane, and technically the largest map the Overwatch team has ever made.

9v5QTmR.jpg

iLfQ1WZ.jpg

QX70qow.jpg

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Woah, that last map looks sick even tho it is incredibly simple. I kinda would love to see them try some zany game mode on that during an event.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
The ptr hero rotation is changing like every hour or so it seems. I guess because people don't play the ptr very long

I've never played workshop. What's the point of these maps. Can people use them like Halo Forge?

Workshop is just more options for custom games really. Most custom games these days are workshop games because of the extra control/rules you can have.

Before if you wanted an open area for a custom game, you'd have to find an area in an existing map. Now you don't have to.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Workshop fun, I tend to just pick a random game while waiting on a match to start. The above map would be good for the Smash Bros mode.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
can we safely assume the hero pool rotations in ptr will be the same once this goes live or do they know which hero to ban instead of trying to RNG it?

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
can we safely assume the hero pool rotations in ptr will be the same once this goes live or do they know which hero to ban instead of trying to RNG it?
I believe Jeff in one of his forum replies said the band would be carefully curated every week. So you might have a rush comp-y week, a double barrier comp another, etc. PTR is probably just testing if the banning actually works

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
New PTR, Brig goat skin should be up after the event ends tonight.
HERO UPDATES
Wrecking Ball

Piledriver

• Loss of air control reduced from 1 second to 0.5 seconds
Brigitte

Repair Pack

• Armor over-heal reduced from 75 armor to 50 armor
  • HPS decreased from 60 to 55
Symmetra

Photon Projector (Secondary Fire)

• Damage increased from 120 to 140
Widowmaker

Window's Kiss (Primary Fire)

• Full charge time increased from 0.83 sec to 1 sec

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's kind of wierd actually. I had expected, if anything, for her to get a shield buff from 200 to 250 or even 300.

Also, if Sym's photon blast is going to be that damaging, can they up the sound effect on it? It's such a light buzz. It fit when it was much weaker and went through shields, but now it's so strong but has such a weak sound to it.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Does the Hammond change mean he drops faster when initiating a piledriver? 'Cause that will change everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.