• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
mfw i was solo healing as ana and moira with 3 dps and 2 tanks. the whole game i was waiting for them to bitch and tell someone to switch off dps and get a second healer. but then there was a duo on the other team (zarya/rein) who was trash talking the whole game. they were proud because they pirate ship.

oh. we won of course. healed 40% of team damage. the only time we lost because they all hit Q at the same time.

also my feel good moment was the doom ulted and i knew he was going to come down for me. so i remember what ML7 sometime do. i hugged the light pole until dropped and i jumped away but still facing the pole. no damage lol.

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
By far, BY FAR, my best outing with Genji since I started playing Overwatch.

Dorado map, we're on attack, and the enemy team gets a great comp to keep us stuffed inside the spawn room for the opening minutes of the match: Brigitte, Winston, Mei, Moira, Zen and Torb. I bide my time, poking at them from the various openings until the Winston chases me off or the Mei walls me in, running back to spawn for health, all while the payload sits largely unmoved. I get my ult, but I hold onto it and keep waiting. Waiting because we have a Sombra who seems to be doing the same thing I am. Finally, I get the message in chat I've been waiting to see: EMP is ready. I flank to the top of the building outside spawn and as soon as Sombra drops that EMP on them I'm leaping down on the enemy grouped on the payload with my ult. TRIPLE KILL. Their Moira tries to run and panic ults but it's already too late and as my ult ends I finish her with a couple of shuriken. I thank the Sombra, and we're on our way.

I'd like to tell you that after that spectacular play, we steamrolled the rest of the match. And we almost did: the enemy couldn't stop us as we pushed to the first checkpoint, then rolled through the second as they continued falling back, our Rein pushing ahead as I got my ult off again and a double kill on their defenders. I'd like to tell you that we won. But then they got a double Mercy plus three tanks and later a Bastion. And we lost.

I got that PotG though at least.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
tfw you have to heal and keep pharah from doing any damage to the team as ana. also the quick reflex or something. it was like a quick sleep almost very aim bot on the mercy but tbf she flew next to me and it was the last fight. first time in the game she was trying to get away.

Paltheos

Oct 25, 2017
QP match - Some pretty crazy numbers output:

awOonVFl.png

I output 21616 healing in 617 seconds, 5536 of which came from Coalescence. Average 2102 healing per minute, 35 per second. The rest of the numbers are purely average but I felt like I was healing almost the entire game.

Edit: I'm not 100% sure on this since I played this game hours ago, but to put into perspective how hammered we got, my card for the match indicated that that 21k healing number covered only 39% of the damage the team took in the game. Most games where I think, "Holy shit I healed allot," give a card for 50+%.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
some games you cant win because people are so adamant to play dps. but we need a comp change but they dont care

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
When you're Ana and you sleep a BOB at the end of his run but your Zarya wakes him up. >:[

I've been learning Ana on my alt diamond account, and it's so incredibly annoying after actually getting a sleep, someone waking them up with no plan. And I'm not talking about incidental fire. I'm talking when someone has made a conscious decision to wake them. I've died multiple times to it. Had my grenade on cool down multiple times where I could've combo'd them on my own...frustrating.

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
I've been learning Ana on my alt diamond account, and it's so incredibly annoying after actually getting a sleep, someone waking them up with no plan. And I'm not talking about incidental fire. I'm talking when someone has made a conscious decision to wake them. I've died multiple times to it. Had my grenade on cool down multiple times where I could've combo'd them on my own...frustrating.
This one was definitely intentional, as the Zarya bubbled herself after BOB was asleep and then beamed him awake. I even said to myself "noooo Zarya what are you doing" as I noped out of there only to run into a three-stack around the corner I hid behind.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
That's pretty good, you're already about half way to masters.

I remember last time we played together you were in gold, so that's some solid improvement. Though that was like season 6, so it was a while ago.

Some people progress faster than others, so I'm pretty happy that regard. :)

I need to add Mei to my rotation, but I haven't had much time to use her this season.

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
Hammond is so much fun but I've barely played him so I am quite terrible. Every once in a while on Mystery Heroes I will get him and fat finger myself into doing something fantastic but that's rare. Nice play there on your clip!

I can't figure him out at all, lol. Every time I've got him in mystery I'm dead in 30 seconds.

His kit is so weird to me, I have no idea how to use it or who I should be targeting.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I can't figure him out at all, lol. Every time I've got him in mystery I'm dead in 30 seconds.

His kit is so weird to me, I have no idea how to use it or who I should be targeting.

The position for his slam ability is what throws me off the most. I haven't figured out what button configuration works best to make his kit less wonky.

It makes me wish when you put someone to sleep, they stay asleep for the duration. More often than not, my teammates will deliberately wake the target up, and will tell me I suck.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I just barely found out about the Ashe sprays on Twitch. Is there a schedule for them? I'm trying to get the two hour max before it's too late.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
idk about lucio and my 'nade on the same map on nepal. right at the start when they are on the other side of point, i chuck it over and they die to it LOL. this is the second time a lucio died to it on the same map.

EDIT:

We need to make an ana 'nade compilation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
tfw you sleep a ulted genji then someone wakes him up. luckily he just said "fuck it, kill me" since it was like 3v1 which includes a brig, orisa, and zarya.

oh and sleeping the flanking hanzo who killed our torb. both side were down equally. i think hanzo would have touched payload and spammed and got it for them if i didnt land the sleep.

sleep is so satisfying on squishies.

also the team is so scared to play support. someone said they don't know how and the best they can do is play brig. since nano brig if she's not anti is so fun. just turn off brain and swing.

I still don't understand why Ana doesn't get POTG when she Nano's a target and said Nano target screen wipe the enemy team.
kinda like zarya, if she grav and doesn't do anything whoever wipes them out they get it. RIP

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like when the game actively courts L's for you in QP with lopsided matchmaking.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
I like when the game actively courts L's for you in QP with lopsided matchmaking.
I don't know if it's just lower player count (#deadwatch) but lately if I play a bunch of games at one time I'll be put up against the same teams repeatedly, whether they rolled us and ppl left or not.

Big up all you QP main tank/ sup duos in these hard post-new character times, I see you. I love you.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
I've been exclusively doing Mystery Heroes and Deathmatch for the last couple of days. I can't seem to get motivated for Comp at the moment but I am sure I will jump back in and do some Comp games at some point. Mystery Heroes is just so chill and low sodium although you do get the occasional bizarro teamp composition (3 Mei's on the enemy team - I hate my life).

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've pretty much only done comp so QP is that game mode for me. I even had a D.Va thank me for halting people together for their bomb in QP, I was confused over the positive communication.

Terraj_RSL

Feb 8, 2018
Anyone know any Cyber Monday deals on a gaming Laptop that can play OverWatch?

I checked the "recommended specs" for OverWatch:
Processor:
Intel® Core™ i5 or AMD Phenom™ II X3 or better
Video:
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660 or AMD Radeon™ HD 7950 or better
Memory:
6 GB RAM​
But since I haven't gamed on PC since the 2000's, I'm not familiar with the current hardware specifications or what's a good deal for power vs. price.

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I have a laptop with an i5, 960m, and 8gb of RAM and it runs Overwatch well (~50-60 FPS) with High settings. Anything more powerful than that should have no problem with OW.

Last edited:

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I had this hot take earlier, and here are my main problems with OW

- Too many things in the game that completely negate your ability to play the game
If we look at vanilla OW compared to the characters today, there was; McCree, Roadhog, Reinhardt, Mei, Junkrat, Pharah and Lucio all had abilities that moved you against your will. Zarya would have to waste her ult, Lucio and Pharah had weird boops which really weren't all that bad, and junkrat has an easy to dodge bear trap, and Reinhardt would havge to charge in like a moron at inopportune times to try and stun and or boop people away. That really leaves Roadhog, McCree, and Mei as the only real "We have a stun as an ability characters" and all three characters lacked movement options because of it (McCree has his roll, but it's probably the worst movement option in the game). All three of those characters would have to commit to each stun and would get punished for missed opportunists, or screwing up. Now, let's look at the characters they added
-Ana - Sleep Dart (She lacks a movement ability)
-Sombra - Her hack make you unable to use any of your abilites. It doesn't "stun" you, but it does the closest possible option
-Orisa - Has a gravity attack which completely moves you against your control
-Doomfist - his combos completely negate your ability to move at all and he can also stun you.
-Moira - no stuns or movement inhibitors, holy shit
-Brigitte - lol
-Wrecking Ball - His ground pound stops players from moving completely, and his ball roll can move you against your will
-Ashe - shotgun which can be used as a movement option, and a boop at the same time.

All of a sudden, a ton of the characters now have things that stop the other person from playing. There is literally no fun in getting pushed around a moved against your will as you sit there and try to swing aimlessly and hope the other player fucks up. In hero shooters, player character movement becomes a backbone of the game, and you're inherently removing an important aspect of the game by making it less fun for everyone to play against.

-Low skill ceiling characters are getting buffed while high skill ceiling characters arent getting attention - One of the things you inevitably want in your FPS is for the competitive game to show off player skill and show off characters that may be difficult, but are playable at higher levels. People were upset about TF2 because only a few characters were viable in competitive play, but that's an inherent part about these games that needs to be addressed. Not every character in the game needs to be on par from a balance perspective compared to other characters, especially in comp play. I play Torbjorn, not because I want to play a difficult class that requires hours of attention to play competently, I play him because he's easy as hell. Who honestly wants to see someone who uses a gun to shoot for him. Who wants to see brig in competitive play. Think about how much more fun competitive would be to watch if characters like Genji were more commonplace compared to characters like Brig. This can also apply to some of the redesigns theyve done for characters like Hanzo. Storm Arrow actively makes Hanzo less skillful to use, and far more spammy. Who honestly wants to watch that?

-Blizzard makes huge changes randomly and without reason it feels like - How many people were clamoring for a huge torbjorn redesign. I loved Torbjorn before his redesign because he had a great play loop. You find a sentry spot, build it, and shoot at people and try to collect metal. There was incentive not to hang behind your sentry nest with your hammer doing nothing, but there was also times when you didnt want to go pick up metal because you as a class were incapable of going to far. But, you had a fair deal of versatility by providing shields and being a mediocre DPS character. Now, Torb, despite being a much more viable character, is a lot less fun for me. Why am I, a guy who liked to play old torb, forced to suddenly switch to a completely new character design and gameplay style? If you wanted to buff Torb, why not just increase his guns capabilities or give him the throwable sentry without the other massive changes. Why not just design a new sentry character to add next to torbjorn? Same thing with Symmetra, why can't I play the old character?

- There's a fine line between counter picks and fun counter picks that I don't really think the Blizzard game design staff understands - A counter pick isnt an inherently fun thing to do. It's inherently just rock paper scissors sometimes in this game. Counter picks are fun when there is a lot of fun interactions with the characters. McCree and Pharah wasnt a 100% counter, but like, what are some characters supposed to do against Brig?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This appeared on the Blizzard store. Happy Early Birthday to me.
ow-lucioball-jersey-front-og.png

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
Last time I've checked, heroes who can deal damage (and do their job independent of their abilities) are typically the strongest counters against Sombra.

Yep, Hanzo and Widow are probably the roughest to play against as Sombra. Well, unless they have some really bad aim.

Unless if the players you're playing against suck, your winstreak ain't going to end anytime soon. :D

Oh, the matchmaker paid me back for earlier. I'd won 8 in a row as Sombra, and then started getting some horrid teams and lost 6 in a row (playing various heroes). One hand gives...

Last edited:

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
So I had this hot take earlier, and here are my main problems with OW

- Too many things in the game that completely negate your ability to play the game
If we look at vanilla OW compared to the characters today, there was; McCree, Roadhog, Reinhardt, Mei, Junkrat, Pharah and Lucio all had abilities that moved you against your will. Zarya would have to waste her ult, Lucio and Pharah had weird boops which really weren't all that bad, and junkrat has an easy to dodge bear trap, and Reinhardt would havge to charge in like a moron at inopportune times to try and stun and or boop people away. That really leaves Roadhog, McCree, and Mei as the only real "We have a stun as an ability characters" and all three characters lacked movement options because of it (McCree has his roll, but it's probably the worst movement option in the game). All three of those characters would have to commit to each stun and would get punished for missed opportunists, or screwing up. Now, let's look at the characters they added
-Ana - Sleep Dart (She lacks a movement ability)
-Sombra - Her hack make you unable to use any of your abilites. It doesn't "stun" you, but it does the closest possible option
-Orisa - Has a gravity attack which completely moves you against your control
-Doomfist - his combos completely negate your ability to move at all and he can also stun you.
-Moira - no stuns or movement inhibitors, holy shit
-Brigitte - lol
-Wrecking Ball - His ground pound stops players from moving completely, and his ball roll can move you against your will
-Ashe - shotgun which can be used as a movement option, and a boop at the same time.

All of a sudden, a ton of the characters now have things that stop the other person from playing. There is literally no fun in getting pushed around a moved against your will as you sit there and try to swing aimlessly and hope the other player fucks up. In hero shooters, player character movement becomes a backbone of the game, and you're inherently removing an important aspect of the game by making it less fun for everyone to play against.

-Low skill ceiling characters are getting buffed while high skill ceiling characters arent getting attention - One of the things you inevitably want in your FPS is for the competitive game to show off player skill and show off characters that may be difficult, but are playable at higher levels. People were upset about TF2 because only a few characters were viable in competitive play, but that's an inherent part about these games that needs to be addressed. Not every character in the game needs to be on par from a balance perspective compared to other characters, especially in comp play. I play Torbjorn, not because I want to play a difficult class that requires hours of attention to play competently, I play him because he's easy as hell. Who honestly wants to see someone who uses a gun to shoot for him. Who wants to see brig in competitive play. Think about how much more fun competitive would be to watch if characters like Genji were more commonplace compared to characters like Brig. This can also apply to some of the redesigns theyve done for characters like Hanzo. Storm Arrow actively makes Hanzo less skillful to use, and far more spammy. Who honestly wants to watch that?

-Blizzard makes huge changes randomly and without reason it feels like - How many people were clamoring for a huge torbjorn redesign. I loved Torbjorn before his redesign because he had a great play loop. You find a sentry spot, build it, and shoot at people and try to collect metal. There was incentive not to hang behind your sentry nest with your hammer doing nothing, but there was also times when you didnt want to go pick up metal because you as a class were incapable of going to far. But, you had a fair deal of versatility by providing shields and being a mediocre DPS character. Now, Torb, despite being a much more viable character, is a lot less fun for me. Why am I, a guy who liked to play old torb, forced to suddenly switch to a completely new character design and gameplay style? If you wanted to buff Torb, why not just increase his guns capabilities or give him the throwable sentry without the other massive changes. Why not just design a new sentry character to add next to torbjorn? Same thing with Symmetra, why can't I play the old character?

- There's a fine line between counter picks and fun counter picks that I don't really think the Blizzard game design staff understands - A counter pick isnt an inherently fun thing to do. It's inherently just rock paper scissors sometimes in this game. Counter picks are fun when there is a lot of fun interactions with the characters. McCree and Pharah wasnt a 100% counter, but like, what are some characters supposed to do against Brig?

Here is the thing though, before Brig let's look at the two problematic heroes that made her a necessary evil.

And I'm not talking about Genji and Tracer. I'm talking about Sombra and Doomfist.

You wanna play Lucio? Get hacked boi

You wanna play Zen? Get hacked and fisted boi

You wanna play Mercy? Too bad she is nerfed to the ground

You wanna play Ana? Get fisted boi

The only reason Ana and to an extent Rein is now viable is thanks to Brig. She and Moira were designed because supports were getting destroyed left and right. Only difference between them is that Moira's DPS potential isn't as strong as Brig and fade instead of stun and making you rage quit..

Brig punishes flankers like Sombra. She keeps Doomfist in check and destroys the original flankers.

Problem with Brig is that they made her into a solution to everything. She stops dives but enables so much more. You can run her with Dive, with GOATs, heck with anything. You can even ignore her counter like Pharmercy if your team got a decent hitscan. That's how powerful she is and sadly broken.

I'm enjoying not playing Brig with my smurf. Just chill with tanks and Lucio/Zen but as soon as the enemy go Brig, I switch to Brig because the best counter is a better Brig. And with her I can at least stop dying to Doom/Sombra.

You can delete Brig but think hard about what will happen with Doomfist/Sombra running unchecked.

Status
Not open for further replies.