• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks how one person can ruin an entire night on Overwatch. Had a solid team together, won four in a row. Fifth game our main tank then decides on Oasis he's suddenly going to play Zarya leaving us without a shield tank. They had a Pharmercy which I knew they'd run so said we need the DVa we really don't need the Zarya let alone our main tank playing Zarya, and he completely threw the entire match and blaming everyone else for him dying despite running in by himself every time; everyone started arguing and we lose three players from the team.

The rest of the night was players hopping in and out of the team, trickling, not playing as a team, not playing their roles etc. and lost four in a row.

Overwatch is logically such an easy game to play but people just can't grasp simple concepts. It's so frustrating this far into the game's life.

Also Hog is not viable. Stop playing Hog. He is literally a feeding station. And no on Illios he isn't 'essential' - he plays the hole to get hooks so is incredibly vulnerable to Orisa, Lucio, Pharah, Doom etc.

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
Any good Sombra tips? I do pretty well with her but never know if I'm using her right.

Are hacking nearby health packs a priority over an enemy? Is it best to attack from a safe (hackable) spot at range or get up close to attack and teleport away?

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
Hello everyone :)

Need some help so here's some info. I'm a vanilla overwatch player that stopped playing before doomfist dropped. I'm getting back to it but playing soloQ in this game is kinda ruthless.

Any tips on getting better? I'm a low gold atm and Id like to reach the level of the game where team strategy is more important than individual skill as filling a role on a way to a victory was what I loved about this game.

Reading through your comments am going to play some sombra in QP see how that goes.

If anybody wants to play together, even if its online QP please add me: Shari#2296

Chicken Wing

Banned
Apr 17, 2018
Hello everyone :)

Need some help so here's some info. I'm a vanilla overwatch player that stopped playing before doomfist dropped. I'm getting back to it but playing soloQ in this game is kinda ruthless.

Any tips on getting better? I'm a low gold atm and Id like to reach the level of the game where team strategy is more important than individual skill as filling a role on a way to a victory was what I loved about this game.

Reading through your comments am going to play some sombra in QP see how that goes.

If anybody wants to play together, even if its online QP please add me: Shari#2296
Hi! Well any advice really depends on who you play. Who have you been using this season?

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
Hi! Well any advice really depends on who you play. Who have you been using this season?

Trying to relearn basics and the actual state of the meta. I've going through some videos to know what easiest to play and be impactful to the team.

Id say I "can" play:
Tank:
Rein
Dva

Attack:
Nobody really, my aim is acceptable I believe but my positioning and awareness are not good enough to play any impactful attack char without a healer babysitting my ass. When I have to fill for the team I usually go S76.

Healer:
Brig
Mercy. maybe?

I feel I should learn to play Anna and maybe Reaper to be able to carry games that are on the line. Considering how the game matchmakes me when I go soloQ I feel 1/3 of the games I can't lose and get carried hard, 1/3 of the games I can't win no matter how much impact I make on the team and 1/3 I could actually do more, I need to capitalise on those games and the chars I'm playing right now wont let me do that at the level I'm playing.

If you have any good videos/content I could go through to get essentials I would really appareciate.

Also, is there anyway to queue for QP filtering the maps to only play those available in competitive play? Since my interest is only in playing competitive I'd like to practice those maps in QP.

Edit: Also is it just me or Dvas Ult has been nerfed to oblivion? I can't kill with it for the life of me and I'm playing low golds...

Edit2: Do you guys recommend using those websites to find counters or is it a waste at my level? I mean sites like this: https://www.heropicker.com/

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Any good Sombra tips? I do pretty well with her but never know if I'm using her right.

Are hacking nearby health packs a priority over an enemy? Is it best to attack from a safe (hackable) spot at range or get up close to attack and teleport away?

Only hack health packs if you need them (or want to deprive the enemy of them as in the mega under Anubis B). If you can get behind and pick off those in the backline, then do that, otherwise the best bet is to farm your ultimate by unloading clips into the back of tanks and teleporting away when then turn around. If you can communicate to your team when you're going to use your ultimate, so they can follow up, it's as close to a guaranteed wipe as you can get (just make sure you get Zen in the blast, as his ultimate can save his team, and good Zen players will hide when they know you have ultimate).

In fights, aim to hack targets with defensive abilities, and call out who you've hacked; Sombra is one of two characters in the game where it's really hard to play without comms (Symmetra being the other), as she's reliant on the rest of the team following up on her disabling abilities.

Trying to relearn basics and the actual state of the meta. I've going through some videos to know what easiest to play and be impactful to the team.

Id say I "can" play:
Tank:
Rein
Dva

Attack:
Nobody really, my aim is acceptable I believe but my positioning and awareness are not good enough to play any impactful attack char without a healer babysitting my ass. When I have to fill for the team I usually go S76.

Healer:
Brig
Mercy. maybe?

I feel I should learn to play Anna and maybe Reaper to be able to carry games that are on the line. Considering how the game matchmakes me when I go soloQ I feel 1/3 of the games I can't lose and get carried hard, 1/3 of the games I can't win no matter how much impact I make on the team and 1/3 I could actually do more, I need to capitalise on those games and the chars I'm playing right now wont let me do that at the level I'm playing.

If you have any good videos/content I could go through to get essentials I would really appareciate.

Also, is there anyway to queue for QP filtering the maps to only play those available in competitive play? Since my interest is only in playing competitive I'd like to practice those maps in QP.

Edit: Also is it just me or Dvas Ult has been nerfed to oblivion? I can't kill with it for the life of me and I'm playing low golds...

Edit2: Do you guys recommend using those websites to find counters or is it a waste at my level? I mean sites like this: https://www.heropicker.com/

I think you just have to play, and watch Twitch streams from people who play the characters you want to play. The meta has shifted so much that any videos you find on Youtube are likely to be outdated (and it will shift again when the big Brigitte and Doomfist nerfs hit in a few weeks).

And D.Va's ult is the same it always was (well apart from you can no longer kill yourself with it), but people are a lot more familiar with the game and the maps now, so it's easy to avoid in most cases. You either have to combo it with other ults, use it in places where there's little cover, or be sneaky with the angles and arc it in such a way that it's hard to dodge.

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
I think you just have to play, and watch Twitch streams from people who play the characters you want to play. The meta has shifted so much that any videos you find on Youtube are likely to be outdated (and it will shift again when the big Brigitte and Doomfist nerfs hit in a few weeks).

And D.Va's ult is the same it always was (well apart from you can no longer kill yourself with it), but people are a lot more familiar with the game and the maps now, so it's easy to avoid in most cases. You either have to combo it with other ults, use it in places where there's little cover, or be sneaky with the angles and arc it in such a way that it's hard to dodge.

Thank you. I'm already doing pretty much that. My goal is to get to platinum before the season finishes.

I think im going to settle with Reaper/Ashe for damage and Anna/Lucio. In tanks I will stick with Rein/Dva and stop my urge to learn the always fun Hammond since I want to have the best winratio I can actually have at my skill level.

Do you see any flaws there? I dont really know the counters for each character yet so Im going by personal preference rather than usefulness or counter capabilities unfortunately.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Has anyone experienced the "failed to connect to server" issue on PS4? It's happening to my friend every game and he isn't able to play at all. I've had him follow all the steps on the Blizz help page but was just wondering if anyone else had experience with this.

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you. I'm already doing pretty much that. My goal is to get to platinum before the season finishes.

I think im going to settle with Reaper/Ashe for damage and Anna/Lucio. In tanks I will stick with Rein/Dva and stop my urge to learn the always fun Hammond since I want to have the best winratio I can actually have at my skill level.

Do you see any flaws there? I dont really know the counters for each character yet so Im going by personal preference rather than usefulness or counter capabilities unfortunately.

I mean, when you're learning, just pick whatever, and see how things work. You'll figure out most of the good team comps and what counters them as you play.

Having said that, if you want a versatile character that's not too hard to get into, but has one of the highest skill caps in the game (behind only Ana in my opinion), and is unlikely to be nerfed any time soon, then D.Va is a good character to get good at. There are sometimes more optimal characters to pick (Zarya combines better with Reinhardt for example), but she synergises pretty well with most team comps and doesn't really have any hard counters. Emongg plays her a lot and taught me pretty much everything I know about the character (though I'm only diamond, and got there primarily with Zenyatta, so don't take my word as gospel!).

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
I mean, when you're learning, just pick whatever, and see how things work. You'll figure out most of the good team comps and what counters them as you play.

Having said that, if you want a versatile character that's not too hard to get into, but has one of the highest skill caps in the game (behind only Ana in my opinion), and is unlikely to be nerfed any time soon, then D.Va is a good character to get good at. There are sometimes more optimal characters to pick (Zarya combines better with Reinhardt for example), but she synergises pretty well with most team comps and doesn't really have any hard counters. Emongg plays her a lot and taught me pretty much everything I know about the character (though I'm only diamond, and got there primarily with Zenyatta, so don't take my word as gospel!).

Thank you. I'll make sure to check it out as I generally do good with Dva (bar the ult usage).

Did you climb to diamond playing solo? Feels like its way harder to climb alone.

Also to my question about the map filtering in QP, is it possible? I really have no interest to learn maps that are outside of the competitive rotation, specially right now as I have to much to learn I want to focus on what matters most.

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you. I'll make sure to check it out as I generally do good with Dva (bar the ult usage).

Did you climb to diamond playing solo? Feels like its way harder to climb alone.

Also to my question about the map filtering in QP, is it possible? I really have no interest to learn maps that are outside of the competitive rotation, specially right now as I have to much to learn I want to focus on what matters most.

Yeah, I pretty much only play solo. It's not too bad, but getting tilted is an issue; my biggest weakness is that I continue to play even when I'm on a big losing streak so I can 'finish on a win'. It never works out, and the common advice to stop as soon as you lose two in a row is something I wish I could stick to!

You don't have to filter the maps, as the maps are the same in quickplay and competitive, with the exception of brand new maps which aren't in competitive for the first two weeks.

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
Yeah, I pretty much only play solo. It's not too bad, but getting tilted is an issue; my biggest weakness is that I continue to play even when I'm on a big losing streak so I can 'finish on a win'. It never works out, and the common advice to stop as soon as you lose two in a row is something I wish I could stick to!

You don't have to filter the maps, as the maps are the same in quickplay and competitive, with the exception of brand new maps which aren't in competitive for the first two weeks.

Haha, I see I'm not the only one who can't quit on a loss, damn feels good to know I'm not alone.

Cool for the maps, I've seen there was some that wasn't in competitive but if they're in the minority then its not a problem, ill focus on char development when I have to play those in QP rather than learning the map.

Thanks mate.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Finish on a win is the unwritten rule of Overwatch, when you go all in on the sunk cost fallacy, sure I lost the last three games, was brewing salt well over an hour ago and said I'd stop...but surely, surely the win is coming!

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Bob needs a nerf imo. The fact that he can snipe me from halfway across the map while having 1200 health is too much.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Well, Overwatch will be a 5v5 game for a while as it happens with every new hero released.

Edit: I just got a game with masters, diamonds and plats.

Blizzard, pls.

Edit: Plat healers are so baaaaaaad

Last edited:

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
Only hack health packs if you need them (or want to deprive the enemy of them as in the mega under Anubis B). If you can get behind and pick off those in the backline, then do that, otherwise the best bet is to farm your ultimate by unloading clips into the back of tanks and teleporting away when then turn around. If you can communicate to your team when you're going to use your ultimate, so they can follow up, it's as close to a guaranteed wipe as you can get (just make sure you get Zen in the blast, as his ultimate can save his team, and good Zen players will hide when they know you have ultimate).

Agreed with this. I'm still learning as I go on Sombra in Diamond. My biggest tip would be to make sure to throw your translocator out mid-fight if you don't have one down. Outside of that, I try to hack whoever becomes a sitting duck without their cooldowns (Hog, Reaper, Rein, Moira, etc) and watch for who's low to call it out/finish them off. If I've got a particularly slow team (Orisa, Hog, Reaper, etc) then I try to hack the front line more than the back line.

Keep in mind these tips may change as I go!

Last edited:

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
after playing and losing 10 games of mystery heroes in a row i remember why i stopped playing arcade for ages

it's either that permanent slot of pure rng or Not-Overwatch modes

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Played two games with my smurf.

Do not play comp today, for the love of your SR.

It's a mess lol.

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
Don't know if anybody cares but my climb went pretty good today started as low as 1950 and managed to go on a 3-1 to get back to 2050 so silver avoided for the moment.

I also FELL HARD in love with mcree. At the level I'm playing at if your positioning is good you can pretty much win team fights before they even start. Instagibing somebody with flash + fan just doesn't get old, been able to carry some wins with that alone.

Im so fucking pumped, I'm going to play this all winter and will be Platinum before the season ends. Will write my progress if anybody here cares.

(I might have also win some because the ashes literally every game lol)

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
ehh, i played two hours and it wasnt that bad, Hammond and Doomfist releases were way worse

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
they should just require a given amt of hours on a hero before they allow players to use them in comp

Well, Overwatch will be a 5v5 game for a while as it happens with every new hero released.

Edit: I just got a game with masters, diamonds and plats.

Blizzard, pls.

Edit: Plat players are so baaaaaaad

fixed

Last edited:

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
No joke, I reported like 30 people just now. How the fuck has comp become this bad? I get like 2 leavers in every 3 games.
Almost hit bronze now, yay me.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
No joke, I reported like 30 people just now. How the fuck has comp become this bad? I get like 2 leavers in every 3 games.
Almost hit bronze now, yay me.

Been spending a lot of time on my diamond alt trying different heroes. Normally the tier is pretty solid, mostly 2/2/2 or goats comps with the occasional odd comp or game. Yesterday Ashe hit and all of the sudden there were 4-5-6 DPS comps, people tilting immediately, throwers, leavers, etc. It was crazy.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The report button is just a placebo effect button that wears off a day later when you realise no one ever actually takes action.
The report is actually forwarded to a group of blizzard employees that sustain themselves off players woes.

Cappa

Oct 25, 2017
took 3 years but i think im done with this game.. ranked is absolute dog shit. Its even dog shit when you win.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
after playing and losing 10 games of mystery heroes in a row i remember why i stopped playing arcade for ages

it's either that permanent slot of pure rng or Not-Overwatch modes

Honestly if a Mystery Heroes doesn't look like a win capable team in first 2 minutes I quit. I know it's random but player behaviour is enough to judge. If not gonna win it's just a waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.