• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
With the 2018 Winter Wonderland event (supposedly) launching next Tuesday, it's likely that we're going to get teasers for the events cosmetics throughout the week.

We already know one of the skins is a Legendary called figure skater, so I wonder if there's going to be a specific theme for these cosmetics.
if hammond isn't a snow globe we riot

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know of a good Overwatch ios app that provides performance rankings/evaluation? I was using Oversumo but for whatever reason, it stopped providing updates even though my profile has been set to public for a while now.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
That's a thing that happened? I know about the Overwatch t-shirt on the Blizzard store that was themed around 'The Nutcracker Prince', but I thought that was for that product only?

Will you accept him piloting a traditional Christmas ornament t & Hammond himself was an elf?
not accepting the downgrade. Wheres my Chinese OW to leak.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
are they going to rehash the sleigh for this map? because that sleigh from Kings Row is so bad, you can get dva bomb (unless they fixed that)

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Not to be too negative, but I sincerely believe that if Blizzard isn't going to put any effort into events, they're really not worth the attention. It's just new skins so Blizzard can put greater pressure on it's lootbox bullshit. I'm sure the skins will be nice, but I'm frustrated with them putting in the lowest effort possible on these events.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Not to be too negative, but I sincerely believe that if Blizzard isn't going to put any effort into events, they're really not worth the attention. It's just new skins so Blizzard can put greater pressure on it's lootbox bullshit. I'm sure the skins will be nice, but I'm frustrated with them putting in the lowest effort possible on these events.

Yea, the biggest thing about it in my opinion is the Brig/Doom update that has been on PTR for forever.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada

Well, what do you want them to add to these events? General QOL changes? I'm looking forward to the Doomfist nerfs and whatnot, but I can't realistically expect them to add more game modes when the events return.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Well, what do you want them to add to these events? General QOL changes? I'm looking forward to the Doomfist nerfs and whatnot, but I can't realistically expect them to add more game modes when the events return.

I find that hard to believe since in the first year of overwatch, every event they had was a new event.

But evne so, I've gone over with over events how easily they could program new stuff into it. Summer games, you could have a clay pigeon shooting event competition, or a DDR minigame with the casts dance emotes, stuff like that. And I went on and on about how easily the Junkenstein event can be improved. Like, the AI for that mode is so braindead and simple, are you really telling me we couldn't have had some new enemies or atleast a second map to play it on?

Now with Winter Wonderland, I'm not convinced it would take too many resources to make a new minigame. I mean, look at what the Yeti hunt event actually is: You give Winston a shit ton of health, you give Mei Junkrat's trap, and you have Winston's ult charge based on steak spawning locations. Realistically, how many manhours do you think it took the OW team to program that? And they can't just do it again for a new event? Come on.

Either for some bizarre reason, Blizzard is operating on a shoe string budget despite OW being one of their most lucrative franchises or else they're just not interested in putting even minor resources towards that when they can be putting it towards something else. Probably OWL.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017

no that's pretty much what some of us would like to see. a new minigame of some kind for every iteration of each event would be the biggest thing to keep some of us coming back. Or at least substantial enhancements to old ones.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think it would be easier to get the trophies in lower ranks? I'm Platinum and having hell of a time with Reapers 3 solo kills and Zen's discord one.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I find that hard to believe since in the first year of overwatch, every event they had was a new event.

But evne so, I've gone over with over events how easily they could program new stuff into it. Summer games, you could have a clay pigeon shooting event competition, or a DDR minigame with the casts dance emotes, stuff like that. And I went on and on about how easily the Junkenstein event can be improved. Like, the AI for that mode is so braindead and simple, are you really telling me we couldn't have had some new enemies or atleast a second map to play it on?

Now with Winter Wonderland, I'm not convinced it would take too many resources to make a new minigame. I mean, look at what the Yeti hunt event actually is: You give Winston a shit ton of health, you give Mei Junkrat's trap, and you have Winston's ult charge based on steak spawning locations. Realistically, how many manhours do you think it took the OW team to program that? And they can't just do it again for a new event? Come on.

Either for some bizarre reason, Blizzard is operating on a shoe string budget despite OW being one of their most lucrative franchises or else they're just not interested in putting even minor resources towards that when they can be putting it towards something else. Probably OWL.

It's most likely that OWL is taking up a sizable chunk of their resources, and unlike for the train-wreck that was Starcraft II eSports, it's reasonable they want to get that right for Overwatch this time around.

And, I think it's unreasonable to get a new game mode for the seasonal events. Especially when the bulk of the player base will go "New Game Mode that isn't comp? LUL!" and will dismiss it. I agree for overall QOL changes, as Lucio Ball and Junkenstein's Revenge need it the most.

So hyped for Winter Wonderland I've been hooked on the music today!

Probably my favourite rendition of the Overwatch theme, as I like calming Christmas music, in general.

And, don't know if I'm alone on this, but every year when this event starts, I save up all my Christmas loot boxes and open them on Christmas day. Just makes it a little more special for me.

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
Probably my favourite rendition of the Overwatch theme, as I like calming Christmas music, in general.

And, don't know if I'm alone on this, but every year when this event starts, I save up all my Christmas loot boxes and open them on Christmas day. Just makes it a little more special for me.
That is such a cool idea!

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
And, I think it's unreasonable to get a new game mode for the seasonal events. Especially when the bulk of the player base will go "New Game Mode that isn't comp? LUL!" and will dismiss it. I agree for overall QOL changes, as Lucio Ball and Junkenstein's Revenge need it the most.
I don't think it's unreasonable at all.

The reason people don't play too much of new game modes is that the majority are shallow, low effort nonsense that no one in their right mind would want to play for more than a couple matches. They suck.

So if they should either be working to develop the minigames to be worth playing or else they should be constantly thinking new minigame modes for novelty.

Instead they're doing neither.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Are they gifting 5 boxes during this event, right?

That's been the status quo for the past WW events, and so can't see them stopping that tradition.
I don't think it's unreasonable at all.

The reason people don't play too much of new game modes is that the majority are shallow, low effort nonsense that no one in their right mind would want to play for more than a couple matches. They suck.

So if they should either be working to develop the minigames to be worth playing or else they should be constantly thinking new minigame modes for novelty.

Instead they're doing neither.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not denying your statements are invalid, but I think they made the right call to shift to balancing the game than investing time working on game modes that are fluffy and shallow experiences. (Though I personally love the inclusion of CTF and make it part of the rotation when my team and I do scrims, with proper hero and balance changes.)

But the previous game modes take months to prepare, and on top of OWL and balance changes, they made the right call to shift to balancing the game.

The Archives event is the only event that matters to me, as I loved playing Retribution and Uprising to see the cast bounce off one another. (Also, Retribution in particular had helped me got better with Genji & McCree, which the actual main game failed to do).

A meaty co-op Campaign, above all else, is what matters to me the most. I would be fine if they get rid of the Summer Game's/Lucio Ball if we can have more of that.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
We can still be confident that resources are being used for the January map. They didn't announce it at Blizzcon but they told us specifically that was because there was always an odd two-month delay between the announcement and release which they didn't want anymore.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
But the previous game modes take months to prepare, and on top of OWL and balance changes, they made the right call to shift to balancing the game.
I'd feel better about that if I didn't see the current state of the game as one of the most unfun periods of it's time.

Brigette sucks. Playing Reinhardt is utter hell. I don't feel as bad about Doomfist as some of you, but yeah, he can be annoying too. Goats is dumb. People get ults way too fast so the game becomes a matter of who can press Q the fastest. Quickplay is a dumpster fire. Competitive is better, but it's Quickplay+ where real teamwork isn't encouraged.

Some of that isn't exclusive to this season, but it's all coming to a head where my ratio of good overwatch games to bad is like 1 in 15. I play the game less and less each week. I still come back to it, but at this point, I feel it's more of an addition than anything else. I'm not happy with the game in so many ways, especailly when most of them CAN be fixed, but won't be.

bear force one

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
We can still be confident that resources are being used for the January map. They didn't announce it at Blizzcon but they told us specifically that was because there was always an odd two-month delay between the announcement and release which they didn't want anymore.
I'm still hoping Jeff is going to announce the new map at TGA.

bear force one

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
Well we know two of the skins for Wonderland. Rat King and Figure Skater.

ow-jinx-omnicracker-shirt-front-gallery.png

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
"Figure Skater" on that shirt looks like blue/ice version of one of Widow's base Legendary skins tho.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'd feel better about that if I didn't see the current state of the game as one of the most unfun periods of it's time.

Brigette sucks. Playing Reinhardt is utter hell. I don't feel as bad about Doomfist as some of you, but yeah, he can be annoying too. Goats is dumb. People get ults way too fast so the game becomes a matter of who can press Q the fastest. Quickplay is a dumpster fire. Competitive is better, but it's Quickplay+ where real teamwork isn't encouraged.

Some of that isn't exclusive to this season, but it's all coming to a head where my ratio of good overwatch games to bad is like 1 in 15. I play the game less and less each week. I still come back to it, but at this point, I feel it's more of an addition than anything else. I'm not happy with the game in so many ways, especailly when most of them CAN be fixed, but won't be.

I don't think it's all that fun to have Genji and Tracer make me explode, all because I pick Zen or Ana. It's a reason why I stick to Lucio or Moria 80% of the time, as I can't expect my teammates to always look after me and I can AT LEAST evade them if they try to pick me off. I thought having a solid counter to their diving antics would've been great, but I agree. Brigitte does too much and she's the only hero who has had nine consecutive nerfs since her launch. (Though I only picked her when we have an Ana, which was pretty frequent this season to play with mediocre Ana players that don't know how to use her properly.)

I honestly had a bigger issue with Doomfist, especially when he punches you into a wall and there's that delay when you get the false assumption that you survived, only for you to immediately die. (In addition to the bullshit that he does and you can't do anything to stop him). And, as a Reinhardt main, the combination of McCree, Ashe, Brigitte, Lucio, Doomfist, Roadhog, Orisa, Wrecking Ball throwing me around like a toss tissue makes me feel less like a sturdy tank and more like a punching bag. Since his whole thing is to be a wall, I wished he had some sort of CC immunity so he doesn't get tossed about.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Losing takes aways 25 ish points, winning gives me around 20 ish points so far, feels like League of Legends crappy design to keep you playing all over again

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's all that fun to have Genji and Tracer make me explode, all because I pick Zen or Ana.
This didn't really happen, or atleast not if the player was good. Ana has mainly her sleep dart to deal with divers, which can be admittedly hard to land, but she can also outfit characters and self heal with her grenade. Zen has a HUGE hitbox and slow mobility, but his orbs are powerful and his discord can make it so that he oneshots a tracer. All the while, the Tracer still has to aim and manager her dashes so she doesn't run out. I'm not saying Tracer doesn't have a distinct advantage in diving these characters, but they aren't helpless against her.

For me, this is the ultimate lie that centers around Brigette. People act like she's just another hero, one that happens to counter tracer, so the frustration around her is artificial. No, Brig's problem is that she is so easy to utilize. She doesn't have to aim her super strong healthpack, she doesn't have to aim her bash, she doesn't have to aim her primary fire, she can put up a shield at almost any time she wants and it recharges super fast, her ultimate is the only one that's useful even if you pop it without enemies around, and she heals herself as she's in a fight and part of her health is way easier to heal than the rest of it. The player using her can play her half asleep and she'd be one of the most impactful heroes in the game.

That's why I don't think Brig is comparable to other counters. It's one thing for characters to have an advantage over others, it's another to have an advantage be almost mindless to use.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
On top of everything else, Overwatch gave me a virus.

Not a computer virus. I started a fever and got the start of strep throat after my play session today.

Thanks, Jeff...

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
This didn't really happen, or atleast not if the player was good. Ana has mainly her sleep dart to deal with divers, which can be admittedly hard to land, but she can also outfit characters and self heal with her grenade. Zen has a HUGE hitbox and slow mobility, but his orbs are powerful and his discord can make it so that he oneshots a tracer. All the while, the Tracer still has to aim and manager her dashes so she doesn't run out. I'm not saying Tracer doesn't have a distinct advantage in diving these characters, but they aren't helpless against her.

For me, this is the ultimate lie that centers around Brigette. People act like she's just another hero, one that happens to counter tracer, so the frustration around her is artificial. No, Brig's problem is that she is so easy to utilize. She doesn't have to aim her super strong healthpack, she doesn't have to aim her bash, she doesn't have to aim her primary fire, she can put up a shield at almost any time she wants and it recharges super fast, her ultimate is the only one that's useful even if you pop it without enemies around, and she heals herself as she's in a fight and part of her health is way easier to heal than the rest of it. The player using her can play her half asleep and she'd be one of the most impactful heroes in the game.

That's why I don't think Brig is comparable to other counters. It's one thing for characters to have an advantage over others, it's another to have an advantage be almost mindless to use.

I disagree. Tracers in my mid-Diamond/Low Master games during solo que are a headache to deal with. The fact that Tracer herself doesn't have a CONSISTENT counter (before Brigitte's introduction to the game) to her antics makes it more so.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. Tracers in my mid-Diamond/Low Master games during solo que are a headache to deal with. The fact that Tracer herself doesn't have a CONSISTENT counter (before Brigitte's introduction to the game) to her antics makes it more so.
Which, as far as I was concerned, wasn't really an issue. Tracer had the lowest health of any character (sans baby D.Va), so if you could land your shots, you'd kill them much quicker than you would other characters. She was strong, but was also demanding, and could be stopped by all sorts of things. And if Tracer was too strong, which I can accept she was, then she could have just gotten a tranditional nerf. A damage nerf. -10% would still let tracer one clip if all the shots connected, but they'd have to work harder at it. The Pulse Bomb damage nerf was also a good idea. Or, you know, not nerf the characters who did have an answer for her into the ground, like Roadhog. Stuff like that.

But yes, she required skill to fight off as she required skill to be effective. Good. To stop tracer consistently, you needed to be consistently better. This allows for a lot of good plays to happen. Sounds like good design to me.

Now, have brig, and the reason that she can "CONSISTENTLY" counter tracer is because it's impossible to fail using her braindead kit. And barring sheer irrational hatred for Tracer, I have trouble seeing a legitimate argument for how that makes for a better game. "I picked Brigette in the select screen, so now I win every encounter until you switch off tracer". It turns the interplay into a matter of rock, paper, scissors. Many would argue that the game has always been that, but I always disagreed except in really specific cases because it was possible to outplay your counters before in many instances. But brigette leans into this more than any other character, and it's so bad that you have a #DeleteBrig movement and Seagull, the face of Overwatch, talking about how unfun the game is, as well as the playerbase frustrated now more than ever before. What does that say about hte nature of hard counters?

Last edited:

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Brig is just like one of the most unfun additions Blizzard made to Overwatch. I definitely feel like they should be looking to quietly nerf her into oblivion instead of this buff/nerf nonsense.

theMrCravens

Oct 25, 2017
Brig is just like one of the most unfun additions Blizzard made to Overwatch. I definitely feel like they should be looking to quietly nerf her into oblivion instead of this buff/nerf nonsense.
Completely disagree. Love her from day 1.
Buffs completely wrecked her now, but whatever.
Easily counterable now, and I barely see her picked as often.

Chance

Nov 22, 2017
I play on PS4 and make videos sometimes!

Here's a supercut of stuff I was really proud of (flailing Widow duel(s) nothwithstanding) set to some screamy industrial rock:

And here's four chill, short killstreaks across two back-to-back Junkertown games set to some good 'ol soul:

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I play on PS4 and make videos sometimes!

Here's a supercut of stuff I was really proud of (flailing Widow duel(s) nothwithstanding) set to some screamy industrial rock:

And here's four chill, short killstreaks across two back-to-back Junkertown games set to some good 'ol soul:

Video unavailable on the second one :(

The Widow res was too good😂😂

Chance

Nov 22, 2017
Video unavailable on the second one :(

The Widow res was too good😂😂
That's weird... might be the song is disallowed in your country (I'm Canadian).
The Widow was a MONSTER. That was one of only two times I got the best of her that match - otherwise she nailed headshots like a beast.

Okay I guess it was two of three times if we're getting technical.

Status
Not open for further replies.