• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the game just unplayable on East Coast NA servers? Getting hit registration issues, to complete anomalies.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't directly related to Overwatch, but jesus, it's incredible how Blizzard just dicked over their HotS community. Pro's just lost their jobs, streamers have moved onto other games by the hundreds, and the community is in a state of personal betrayal. It's genuinely sad to see an entire community up-ended like this.

This isn't likely to happen to Overwatch (though I want to note that unlikely isn't the same as impossible), but it doesn't make me feel good to support a company that does THIS to their playerbase. Even if the developers who were working on HotS go to Overwatch and we end up getting more content, I'm gonna feel a lot worse about it if that came at the cost of another community.

I've said before that it's straight up strange how this game is being managed, but this incident seems to confirm that activision is seriously fucking things up internally.

The weird thing is that I don't understand how this is even a good business decision to make. How much money are they actually saving when they're taking these kinds of losses in PR? Even if HotS wasn't their most successful game, was it worth gutting it to nothing?

A lot of this is just gross on part of blizzard. And while I do think Overwatch is mostly safe for now, it's shitty to know that the moment the playerbase does end up dipping below a certain threshold, our game will be as expendable as HotS is in their eyes. And it's so stupid because if Overwatch is struggling, it's ONLY because of how poorly managed it is with repeated events and slow content dripfeed. WTF is going on at blizzard?

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
This isn't directly related to Overwatch, but jesus, it's incredible how Blizzard just dicked over their HotS community. Pro's just lost their jobs, streamers have moved onto other games by the hundreds, and the community is in a state of personal betrayal. It's genuinely sad to see an entire community up-ended like this.

This isn't likely to happen to Overwatch (though I want to note that unlikely isn't the same as impossible), but it doesn't make me feel good to support a company that does THIS to their playerbase. Even if the developers who were working on HotS go to Overwatch and we end up getting more content, I'm gonna feel a lot worse about it if that came at the cost of another community.

I've said before that it's straight up strange how this game is being managed, but this incident seems to confirm that activision is seriously fucking things up internally.

The weird thing is that I don't understand how this is even a good business decision to make. How much money are they actually saving when they're taking these kinds of losses in PR? Even if HotS wasn't their most successful game, was it worth gutting it to nothing?

A lot of this is just gross on part of blizzard. And while I do think Overwatch is mostly safe for now, it's shitty to know that the moment the playerbase does end up dipping below a certain threshold, our game will be as expendable as HotS is in their eyes. And it's so stupid because if Overwatch is struggling, it's ONLY because of how poorly managed it is with repeated events and slow content dripfeed. WTF is going on at blizzard?

The whole "Fun Detected" meme against Blizzard has become more than just that. As much as I tried to tempered the anger these last weeks, I just have to say that this is an absolute kick in the balls regarding Blizzcon. They freaking presented way more HOTS content than what the Diablo community wanted for themselves, just to shelf the game 3 months later.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018

It's all about the $ and profit.
As long as OW is profitable they will continue to support it, when it's not profitable anymore they will probably do the same thing they did to HOTS.

One thing that made me kinda worried is this:

It doesn't bode well for the future of OW.

Wimps

Oct 27, 2017
As long as OW is profitable they will continue to support it, when it's not profitable anymore they will probably do the same thing they did to HOTS.

Yeah but not short term imo. Overwatch is extremely successful. I reckon we still have multiple years before anything like this happens.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree about the Blizz commments, they already took a major L on the Diablo Imortal reveal, which was possibly the second-biggest gaming fail of 2018, after Fallout 76.

I never liked HOTS, only played it for the OW skins a while back and I thought it paled in comparison to DOTA2 in every aspect but they have really pissed off a community there. I wonder where the pros will move to now. The Reddit page makes an interesting read.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
What do you guys think of the possible new meta of Orisa+Bastion+Sym to counter GOATS? Can't believe I just typed that lol.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
id love to hear the logic of why you think this would work
Apparently one of the best ways to beat GOATS is to kill them from afar. Use the TP to give the recently buffed Bastion the mobility to do damage from afar protected by the Orisa. Then use the Tp again whenever they try to focus either Sym or the Bastion.

The GOATs team has to choose which hero to focus first because if they let the Bastion set up, they are dead. And if they let the Sym get to level 3, they are dead.

I'd love to see a pro team seriously try it out. Maybe it's worthless after all but hey what a world if they can make it work. Sym and Bastion in the freaking meta lol.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Apparently one of the best ways to beat GOATS is to kill them from afar. Use the TP to give the recently buffed Bastion the mobility to do damage from afar protected by the Orisa. Then use the Tp again whenever they try to focus either Sym or the Bastion.

The GOATs team has to choose which hero to focus first because if they let the Bastion set up, they are dead. And if they let the Sym get to level 3, they are dead.

I'd love to see a pro team seriously try it out. Maybe it's worthless after all but hey what a world if they can make it work. Sym and Bastion in the freaking meta lol.

bastion isnt good long range. TP isnt going to out mobility a lucio speed boosted team since you will only get 1 teleport due to the cooldown. sym is just useless all around. its really a poor counter

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The one thing Overwatch has going for it that HOTS didn't is the huge cross-media platform that it has, and they're still ramping up. Action figures, Funko Pops, Legos, dolls, figurines, probably a TV show or something down the line, etc. The game has a huge cross-media fanbase that helps keep it going even as the game itself stagnates. Actiblizz will keep that in mind even if the game is just relegated to being a vehicle for licensing deals.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017

The key is making a comp the goats team cannot attack since they'll be mostly close range damage. It should be counterable, but it's so weird people don't know how to deal with, i found it really interesting

id love to hear the logic of why you think this would work
Steevoo(sym otp), eviltoaster(orisa) and colorblind(bastion otp) beat seagull, emongg and dafran 2-1 using that strat against goats,that's why people are talking about that strat right now

Bastion got a spread decrease so his range got better and they had only one healer and a mccree as third dps, that probably helped, as weird as it might be, team focused the bastion while cree and symm flanked in the match i watched(oasis)

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Also need to bring up that the opposing team weren't really using thier main heroes as well. Still an interesting strat. I want to see a pro team seriously try it.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Also need to bring up that the opposing team weren't really using thier main heroes as well. Still an interesting strat. I want to see a pro team seriously try it.
Contenders had a mirror match of sym/bastion, it was atlanta academy vs kungarna but i think one of the teams was memeing ( :/)

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't aim for shit in any video game, just had a game with Pharah where I had zero eliminations lol. What are the best heroes possible for me? Currently maining Moira and maaaaybe Pharah, really enjoyed Junkrat but there's no way I can master his aiming.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I can't aim for shit in any video game, just had a game with Pharah where I had zero eliminations lol. What are the best heroes possible for me? Currently maining Moira and maaaaybe Pharah, really enjoyed Junkrat but there's no way I can master his aiming.

mercy. shes probably the best hero for most of the community tbh

Jam

Oct 25, 2017

One thing that made me kinda worried is this:

OWL has had a lot of outside money already invested, it is a very very different situation to HOTS. Some of the buy-ins have been absurd.

Chance

Nov 22, 2017

How long have you been playing OW? If you're under say 20 hours, I'd say main Mercy as you lean the maps and come to understand all the ult callouts and all the heroes' abilities and counters. Mercy, like Ana and Zen, tend to observe matches and teamfights from a bit of a distance and this will instill a lot of intuition in you for how teamfights tend to go and where this one's headed.

Soon you'll know when those 2 tanks and the Ashe are a lost cause and you might as well head back to spawn to regroup, and when you need to fly in and pocket the solo DPS on point because you know if you make that 1v5 a 2v5, that particular McCree will make you proud.

Best (well, only tbh) no-aim heroes are
-Mercy
-Winston
-Rein
-Brig

All tend to be welcome additions to any comp up 'till you're in like, masters.

So for me, they will literally always be welcome heroes on any team.

Also - don't let our advice here steer you off playing any hero or just havin' fun. I mained Mercy for my first year or so with Overwatch, having guilty fun on Tracer and frankly dragging my teams down as I slowly mastered her - and this is me now!

Welcome to Overwatch!

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How long have you been playing OW? If you're under say 20 hours, I'd say main Mercy as you lean the maps and come to understand all the ult callouts and all the heroes' abilities and counters. Mercy, like Ana and Zen, tend to observe matches and teamfights from a bit of a distance and this will instill a lot of intuition in you for how teamfights tend to go and where this one's headed.

Soon you'll know when those 2 tanks and the Ashe are a lost cause and you might as well head back to spawn to regroup, and when you need to fly in and pocket the solo DPS on point because you know if you make that 1v5 a 2v5, that particular McCree will make you proud.

-Mercy
-Winston
-Rein
-Brig

All 3 tend to be welcome additions to any comp up 'till you're in like, masters.

Also - don't let our advice here steer you off playing any hero or just havin' fun. I mained Mercy for my first year or so with Overwatch, having guilty fun on Tracer and frankly dragging my teams down as I slowly mastered her - and this is me now!

Welcome to Overwatch!

Probably around the 30hr mark or so now, got it in the Humble Monthly and played it a lot (including like a 5 hour binge today).

I'm not very good with Winston, same goes for Brigitte, she seems extremely fun but I'm straight up incompetent with her.

Got a placement in this season and got high as 2121 SR. Feels better than playing 100 hours of CSGO and getting ranked Silver 1, lol. (And that happened twice.) In the 1900s now.

Kind of want to master Moira. I like how she can both deal reliable damage and heal significantly.

Mercy... is alright I suppose but I'm not sure if pure heal is for me (or even if I'm playing Mercy right, for that matter).

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I find that Orisa is also pretty forgiving if your aim is shite like mine is. Her damage isn't really meant to kill heroes, more like put pressure on the other team. I like to plop down my shield and then harrass the enemy tank, who are also bigger targets.

Sym is also still pretty viable if precision aiming isn't really your forte. Most of my kills with her are from the turrets. You just need to time where you put then and place them smartly. Lower rank players tend to panic when they are around or just outright ignore them.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I started lucio with no aim, as your rank goes up you'll need to learn it, but it'll come naturally, he's all positioning ,aura management and crowd control. If you got a good movement hand you can try him, alongside the other heroes people already mentioned. I think it's a nice way to train aiming but not having to rely much on it, if you only play zero aim heroes you'll never learn after all(though moira demands some tracking, she doesnt have auto lock, only a visual fake lock)

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
yeah, Orisa and Lucio aren't bad choices since you can still do the things they're primarily meant to be doing even if your aim isn't great and as you play them your aim should naturally improve over time

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada

Soldier: 76, Reinhardt, Mercy, and Lucio are all easy-to-pick-up heroes that are great picks if you are starting out.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for all the advice!

I quite like Lucio as well. Going forward, I think I'll play Pharah, Moira, Lucio and maybe some Orisa and Rein.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Second thoughts about Pharah. I'm having matches where I'm pulling <5 eliminations or <1000 hero damage

What platform are you on?

As a newer player, especially one who has problems with aiming, I'd stay far aware from Pharah.

She takes a lot of positional awareness and general game sense of the ebb and flow of the match. Also while it seems to a beginner like she 'spams rockets', that's just bad Pharah play as with them being projectiles you need to proactively plan your shots on the fly. Also she isn't in a great place meta-speaking.

She's more effective in consoles than PC generally too.

I'd really recommend Rein/Orisa for you. There aren't many main tank players in the community and they don't require much aiming skill. They're also great heroes to learn general game sense with; since you focus entirely on the scenarios rather than aiming. Winston is a different kettle of fish and you should avoid him for now.

Beyond them I'd recommend Moira/Mercy/Lucio, more heroes than don't require you to aim as a primary skill so you can contribute and also learn more about game sense.

And after that I would say Dva is a beginner-friendly hero. She is a hero that has A LOT of nuance. There's a massive gulf between a bad Dva and a good Dva but for a new player she's relatively easy to 'pick up and play', and she offers a lot in terms of you have mobility, you can be aggressive, you can be defensive. She's easy to play hard to master.

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for all the advice!

I quite like Lucio as well. Going forward, I think I'll play Pharah, Moira, Lucio and maybe some Orisa and Rein.
Orisa and Rein are really fun to play, don't listen to the haters. I play main/flex tank and love Orisa. Just remember as a tank your job is to create and take space from the enemy team. Don't sit in a defensive position taking damage on attack, get forward and press up. If up against Orisa in a duel move through her shield and put yours between hers and you, keep her moving back. Good teammates will follow you in and back you up, you set the pace. As a rein, charging forward and being singled out is the worst thing, stay close to your team and push forward together.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What platform are you on?

As a newer player, especially one who has problems with aiming, I'd stay far aware from Pharah.

She takes a lot of positional awareness and general game sense of the ebb and flow of the match. Also while it seems to a beginner like she 'spams rockets', that's just bad Pharah play as with them being projectiles you need to proactively plan your shots on the fly. Also she isn't in a great place meta-speaking.

She's more effective in consoles than PC generally too.

I'd really recommend Rein/Orisa for you. There aren't many main tank players in the community and they don't require much aiming skill. They're also great heroes to learn general game sense with; since you focus entirely on the scenarios rather than aiming. Winston is a different kettle of fish and you should avoid him for now.

Beyond them I'd recommend Moira/Mercy/Lucio, more heroes than don't require you to aim as a primary skill so you can contribute and also learn more about game sense.

And after that I would say Dva is a beginner-friendly hero. She is a hero that has A LOT of nuance. There's a massive gulf between a bad Dva and a good Dva but for a new player she's relatively easy to 'pick up and play', and she offers a lot in terms of you have mobility, you can be aggressive, you can be defensive. She's easy to play hard to master.
I'm on PC. Yyyup.

Orisa seems nice... I like playing as her. Rein is almost too much pressure, yet all I'm actually doing is standing at the front, holding up the shield, shoot a projectile every now and then (I can't get the charges right).

I learned that an enemy Rein's shield can block an Earthshatter in the last competitive match I played, the hard way...

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
I'm on PC. Yyyup.

Orisa seems nice... I like playing as her. Rein is almost too much pressure, yet all I'm actually doing is standing at the front, holding up the shield, shoot a projectile every now and then (I can't get the charges right).

I learned that an enemy Rein's shield can block an Earthshatter in the last competitive match I played, the hard way...

there are two kinds of reinhardts: idiots and cowards.

Don't be a coward.

Seriously though the only way to learn how to not overextend is through a thousand mistakes.

Oh my shatter was transparent welp
Oh that was not a good charge welp
oh that was an even worse charge welp
oh i should have been backing up slowly this entire time welp
oh right orisa has fortify welp
etc etc etc

short charges are your friend
short bursts of hammer-swinging followed by holding shield and backing up are your friend
announce when you need to recharge shield if you're on voice so that people know to duck behind corners.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Don't be a coward.

Seriously though the only way to learn how to not overextend is through a thousand mistakes.

etc etc etc

short bursts of hammer-swinging followed by holding shield and backing up are your friend
announce when you need to recharge shield if you're on voice so that people know to duck behind corners.
Thanks for the tips. I've not focused on Rein before but I might now.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

-Mercy
-Winston
-Rein
-Brig

All tend to be welcome additions to any comp up 'till you're in like, masters.

Welcome to Overwatch!

When cross-play becomes real one day (hopefully soon), I hope to meet you in the battlefield with my punished Brig.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

Don't be a coward.

etc etc etc

i disagree. bad players are better off never charging than making bad chargers. lets be real, at this point unless youre a new player, you clearly arent going to get any better. so just sit and hold down rmb until shield is about to break. then either hide or swing while it recharges.

daydream

Oct 25, 2017
whichever character you go with, i recommend watching a pro that's an expert with the character (yt videos or their stream, if they have on)

seriously cuts down on the time you'd normally need to pick up on certain techniques and nuances

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
I'm on PC. Yyyup.

Just remember that rein has a higher skill level to be good than Orisa. As you move up ranks Orisa is less and less useful as better players counter her easily. She is great in less scenarios than rein.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
whichever character you go with, i recommend watching a pro that's an expert with the character (yt videos or their stream, if they have on)

seriously cuts down on the time you'd normally need to pick up on certain techniques and nuances
Adding to this, IF you decide to main mercy, theres a lot of tech arounding guardian angel cancelling id recommend you look up.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Played lots of Brig these past few days. Here is what I have seen:

- she is still strong. In a brawl/goats she will always be a must pick.

- still great against genji and protecting ana.

- you can't kill tracer so don't chase her out and be outplayed and out of position. Stay with your team and your armor will "counter" her damage. Surprisingly I haven't seen many tracers and when I do see one, Ashe takes care of her very well.

- still great against brig too! If they have a brig, just counter her with brig like usual.

Honestly nothing changed for me except I'm not bullying tracers anymore or waiting for tracer behind a wall or something. Feels good not making tracer my job all the time and just brawl like crazy.

So yes, tl;dr brig like is still great.

Doomfist on the other hand...i have yet to see him in a game lol.

Chance

Nov 22, 2017
When cross-play becomes real one day (hopefully soon), I hope to meet you in the battlefield with my punished Brig.

tknju61zqkyn.jpg

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
when you get close to ranking up you in that range where everyone dps and there's no tank. even if i switch support to work around them there's always that one or two dps that can't do anything but they don't want to switch off.

also when you sit and baby your zen because he's dps zen who get tunnel vision and forget that i need healing and i have to jump in front of him just for him to realize i need healing even if i set up the i need healing comm.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
ZTSZwkV.jpg

Forgot to post this. Outhealing my friend (Mercy). I think this is the highest heal I ever had as Brig? Not sure, didn't check.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
FFA DM in Chataeu is back, thank christ

edit: first game 2 symmetra's, torb, and doomfist make the game utter hell

I hate you blizzard, so much

Status
Not open for further replies.