• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Holy hell, why didn't anyone tell me Wrecking Ball is so much fun to play? First time I actually tried him out on comp/quick play rather than just getting him in mystery heroes and dying immediately and I had a blast.

Chance

Nov 22, 2017
Yayyy there's a new griefing tactic on PS4!

Be careful about doing too well in your games, lest you find yourself bludgeoned about the face and neck with "new follower! Gr13fer414" messages mid-match lol

I was being effective but I really didn't think it was worthy of a spam service >.<

Turn off "anyone can follow" to protect yourself.

whiskeystrike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a new player, only level 27, and I'm scared that I overplaced by quite a bit at 2193 SR when my placement matches had people with the bronze borders for most of it and a few silvers and at no point during this time have I felt like I knew what I was doing.

It's quite clear while playing that tanking is a mystery to me, I guess I get it conceptually but the matches are so chaotic it's pretty hard for me to follow what is going on, much less tell if I'm doing well or not.

I might just stick to Moira, Reaper and Soldier 76 for now and pick up some new heroes once I've got more matches in my belt.

Lots and lots of chatter on the mic about team comps and making plays together, it's such a huge deviation from quickplay I'm not too sure if I should bother playing that mode except for playing different heroes.

If my time in Dota taught me anything it is to ignore 99% of team chatter about team comp, counterpicks and general strategy and play the best in whatever way I can, while learning from that.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a new player, only level 27, and I'm scared that I overplaced by quite a bit at 2193 SR when my placement matches had people with the bronze borders for most of it and a few silvers and at no point during this time have I felt like I knew what I was doing.

Yup, this mirrors my experience almost identically. Hopefully you won't find yourself in the Bronze trenches because it's a fucking slog to get out. I've only just scraped into Silver last night. The struggle is real.

Chance

Nov 22, 2017

It's quite clear while playing that tanking is a mystery to me, I guess I get it conceptually but the matches are so chaotic it's pretty hard for me to follow what is going on, much less tell if I'm doing well or not.

I might just stick to Moira, Reaper and Soldier 76 for now and pick up some new heroes once I've got more matches in my belt.

Lots and lots of chatter on the mic about team comps and making plays together, it's such a huge deviation from quickplay I'm not too sure if I should bother playing that mode except for playing different heroes.

If my time in Dota taught me anything it is to ignore 99% of team chatter about team comp, counterpicks and general strategy and play the best in whatever way I can, while learning from that.

You placed based on the numbers you put up on the heroes you played when compared to other people's performance on those heroes at all ranks. If it turns out to be way off, you'll know soon because you'll be getting tons of SR gain for a win (if your SR is too low) or losing tons for a loss (if your SR is too high) - the system will put you among folks of similar general skill.

Given that gold is (in)famous for its lack of coordination, it's a good place to start while you get a handle on things.

As for heroes - yeah, play the ones you can effectively help out your team on as you learn all the maps and modes.

I also highly recommend throwing yourself into Mystery Heroes just to get a sense of how every hero plays, when they're most dangerous and when they're most vulnerable. Welcome to Overwatch!

xiwou6yga6lp.jpg

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
You placed based on the numbers you put up on the heroes you played when compared to other people's performance on those heroes at all ranks. If it turns out to be way off, you'll know soon because you'll be getting tons of SR gain for a win (if your SR is too low) or losing tons for a loss (if your SR is too high) - the system will put you among folks of similar general skill.

Given that gold is (in)famous for its lack of coordination, it's a good place to start while you get a handle on things.

As for heroes - yeah, play the ones you can effectively help out your team on as you learn all the maps and modes.

I also highly recommend throwing yourself into Mystery Heroes just to get a sense of how every hero plays, when they're most dangerous and when they're most vulnerable. Welcome to Overwatch!

xiwou6yga6lp.jpg
I miss my honeymoon with overwatch. Can barely play rn

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

xiwou6yga6lp.jpg

you know this explains a lot. My first placement was low gold and it's been a descent ever since lmao.

Chance

Nov 22, 2017
I placed low gold season 1, when it wasn't called gold yet, and was super proud of it - I'd always just instantly gotten my ass kicked in every multiplayer fps I'd ever tried, so maining Mercy and actually helping peeps and winning games was an incredible thing, to me.

I flexed my way into Plat with Zen, Zarya, whoever the team needed in like s2 or 3, and hovered in high gold for several seasons.

Then I became more confident in my Tracer to impact a match than any other hero, and it's been mid-low plat ever since.

Very proud. ^.^ idk what my Actual SR should be, though - I pretty much only do placements every season. Maybe if I played 100+ matches like most I'd be running around in Bronze like most folks >.<

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Today is not happening since they always release patches at the same time. And that time was 25 minutes ago.
Next week i guess.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
a string a bad comp placement matches and waiting for Baptiste resulted in an unintentional overwatch break

which was good cuz it meant I actually played other games lol

Chance

Nov 22, 2017
I try to break from OW often - Red Dead got me clean for a bit, Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn - but I always come back quick.

The only thing that really damages my feelings about the game are when I work super hard on a video and I end up very happy with it and I giddily post it and it gets zero reaction.

That hurts.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Yup
Been "clean" for a week but havent played more than three times last month when my friend begs me to

I used to play this game about 4 hours a day every day for two years lol
The thing about that is...that's kind of insane when you think about it. It probably is burnout, but at the same time, it's probably healthy to not play a single game that much.

I try to break from OW often - Red Dead got me clean for a bit, Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn - but I always come back quick.

The only thing that really damages my feelings about the game are when I work super hard on a video and I end up very happy with it and I giddily post it and it gets zero reaction.

That hurts.
I'm sorry man, I'll comment more.

Chance

Nov 22, 2017
My thing is... I still frickin' love it. So much. The reason I could list Red Dead, Spider Man and Horizon are because those are the only 3 big release games I've finished since OW launched. Wait - God of War too.

Every other game (Re2 and DmC5 lately) just can't hold my attention and the thought of just helpin' a team as support or terrorizing peeps as Tracer pops up and I'm like "why the fuck am I playin' this when I could be playing Overwatch?"

I'm sorry man, I'll comment more.

cnKIZNY.png

Edit; but I should say it's 100% my problem and no one's fault but my weird anxieties'. Tossing something one's made online and waiting anxiously for a reaction is a cliche for a reason, and no one's obligated to like my weird plat ps4 quickplay Tracer videos lol

Last edited:

Chance

Nov 22, 2017
Hey, I finally got into Platinum.

Grats! Playin' who? (Or what?)

Edit: 3 rounds Vs. a new player (or smurf) and their plat buddy about 100 SR above me, who favors DPS and tank. The new player goes Mercy, and I am somehow on my 100 Emoji Support Killer game. 2 crazy games on Eichenwald followed by an Ilios where we came out down a player and immediately won the first teamfight, and the match.

I feel a little guilty for how many sweet kills I got on the support, so I send 'em a gg.

vjORkZ8.jpg

I love this frickin' game >.<

Last edited:

Chance

Nov 22, 2017

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
Send a friend request with the gg and permission to delete the request

I've actually beefed up my friends list having to do that a few times.
I actually disabled friend requests cuz of notification spam griefing via never ending friend requests lol
still try to spread the positivity when I can but when I play with a great teammate and they don't allow random messages, I get it

so annoying that people feel the need to do this, and also that sony can't be bothered to try to stop it

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Me too. I can flex to any tank but Ham lol. ...though I wouldn't in comp.
Hammond is an all or nothing character. You either can't do anything with him....or the enemy can't do anything about you.

Just had a real good game where we held the enemy at C on Rialto because they just couldn't do anything about my hammond. They couldn't focus me enough to kill me, but I was too much of a threat to ignore. And this is so insanely fun to do if you have a team that can capitolize on the openings you create. They were getting mad tilted over me, and they ended up switching comps on attack just to have enough stuns to beat me, via sombra, brig, and Mccree. Which meant that I ended up having to switch, but Hamster is so goddamn fun.

Chance

Nov 22, 2017
Feels cool to get countered tho. To have half the enemy team go "okay we gotta' deal with this Tracer." But it's best when the switcher comes for you and you're just like "oh, a McCree, huh?" and blitz 'em anyway.

Once upon a time...
In a far away Police station in Paris, I, a beautiful British princess, was accosted by a hateful McCree and a Brigitte! There I was, minding my own business coming through the choke to attack the point, and the McCree headshots me from the high ground just past the choke. I rewind and head for the Police station, and he moves to intercept.

As I approach the doors, it's suddenly McCree and Brig waiting for me. He bodies me but I don't back off, blink in to the left door and almost-one-clip him. I juke his next shot, Brig Repairs, I almost-one-clip him again but Brig's close and he's turning so I don't finish the clip and blink backwards out of the right door of the station, away from him and her. He backs into the station behind cover and Brig comes out swinging. I blink back in and finish him with a melee, circle around and blink past the Brig into the parking lot and grab the small health pack. Brig turns around again swinging, and I land s midrange clip against her armor to get my ult. She lands one melee swipe on me before I blink through her to the police station doors again. She shield bashes but whiffs it - I'm just too far away - and takes another swing as I stick her with Pulse and blink through her.

Feels so good. I would kill to listen in on enemy team voice when they switch and come for me and I'm like "hahah counter away."

Exit:
I actually disabled friend requests cuz of notification spam griefing via never ending friend requests lol
still try to spread the positivity when I can but when I play with a great teammate and they don't allow random messages, I get it

so annoying that people feel the need to do this, and also that sony can't be bothered to try to stop it

I'm pretty sure I did too. Only friends can message me first and I can't get friends requests - and it is 100% because I'll be playing Overwatch and someone will start hammering me with invite or message spam when I'm performing well.

Like I'm capable at my SR but I'm not so damn good that you should need to enlist some kind of spamming service to throw me off. Seems like somethin' that'll only make the griefer feel worse when it fails and we win anyway ^.^

But long story short yeah it's bunk that I have to live in a digital bunker for fear of the crap people can pull within the PSN system.

Last edited:

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
I'm pretty sure I did too. Only friends can message me first and I can't get friends requests - and it is 100% because I'll be playing Overwatch and someone will start hammering me with invite or message spam when I'm performing well.

Like I'm capable at my SR but I'm not so damn good that you should need to enlist some kind of spamming service to throw me off. Seems like somethin' that'll only make the griefer feel worse when it fails and we win anyway ^.^

But long story short yeah it's bunk that I have to live in a digital bunker for fear of the crap people can pull within the PSN system.
yeeeeeep

never even knew this was a thing until I started playing overwatch lol

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
What if it's a Brig?

You switch unless the Brig is brain dead.

Brig counters Tracer not with her stuns but her armor packs.

When I play Brig, I don't bother with Tracers. Let her come and she gets her poison because the moment you chase out a Tracer is the moment you lost the game.

My best counter play is playing mind games with the enemy.

They playing dive? No prob, here comes Brig!

Is that a Pharah? Go Bastion! Yes, from Brig to Bastion. I don't even need a shield or second healer. I'm gonna troll the fuck outta them. I made that happen so many times. Making them switch back and forth like crazy.

My biggest problem with people in this game are the ones who never switch. Yesterday I was smurfing and I watched our Zen dying 5 times to Sombra and the thought of switching never occurred to him just because he had his ult. Fuck your ult. We don't need it. Switch you fool!

I get it. You love playing your main. You wanna be Zen or Genji forever. But no matter how much you hate the idea of hard counters, this is the reality of the game now. Switch or lose.

Chance bro I don't do YouTube comments but I watch every video of yours if it makes you feel better.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017

When I play Brig, I don't bother with Tracers. Let her come and she gets her poison because the moment you chase out a Tracer is the moment you lost the game.

Is that a Pharah? Go Bastion! Yes, from Brig to Bastion. I don't even need a shield or second healer. I'm gonna troll the fuck outta them. I made that happen so many times. Making them switch back and forth like crazy.

My biggest problem with people in this game are the ones who never switch. Yesterday I was smurfing and I watched our Zen dying 5 times to Sombra and the thought of switching never occurred to him just because he had his ult. Fuck your ult. We don't need it. Switch you fool!

I get it. You love playing your main. You wanna be Zen or Genji forever. But no matter how much you hate the idea of hard counters, this is the reality of the game now. Switch or lose.

Chance bro I don't do YouTube comments but I watch every video of yours if it makes you feel better.
You sound reasonably high rank

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
You sound reasonably high rank

High diamond but on console so not much.

It's just common sense. You can work around any counter in this game. A good Tracer will work her way around Brig but way too much effort with all the armor and evading the stun so why not go hitscan and call it a day? Or just go Pharah and make her switch immediately then go to Tracer and play some mind games lol.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of smurfing, I'm trying Ana recently and had fun yesterday with this:

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017

If your Zen gets picked 5 times by Sombra, help your Zrlen lol. Overly switching is bad, you'll never get an ult. If your comp is countered, sure, but swapping for 1 counter is not advisable IMO.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If your Zen gets picked 5 times by Sombra, help your Zrlen lol. Overly switching is bad, you'll never get an ult. If your comp is countered, sure, but swapping for 1 counter is not advisable IMO.
Nobody in this game wants to protect their supports, it's fucking maddening.

"I need heals" well, genius, you let me die 4 times in a row I can't heal shit from the grave.

Chance

Nov 22, 2017
What if it's a Brig?

Well short answer is if it's a Brig, kill the Brig.

Brig's ability to dissuade (in my games, at least) is largely informed by whether or not her teammates will follow up on the bash stun, if I'm dumb enough to get close enough to eat one. And in my games, usually, they don't. Go Brig, go Sombra, go McCree, go nuts - I'll be able to tell which one of you is flexing and which one's your main, and the main gets taken seriously and focused/intercepted at every opportunity.

I'm not sayin' I haven't met fearsome McCrees who never miss the flash or the headshot - but when I do they're masters/grandmasters players I really don't have to feel bad about dying to - and switching to a hero I'm less proficient on will only hasten our defeat.

In fact when that happened with a Masters McCree main last week on King's Row attack (this McCree was supernatural, to me). He wrecked me as easy as breathing repeatedly on our attack push - really weird sneaky strats like waiting for the teamfight to start, popping up from around a corner to flash & headshot, or just waiting around a corner for someone to cross his path. I stuck on Tracer and tightened my laces and went straight for him on defense and ran a 10-player killstreak past the choke, killing him then his Moira, killing him then his Lucio, killing him, letting him chase me, killing him. We won our attack (an emp from our Sombra let me kill the McCree and his Mercy in the final push), and we won our defense in the OT on the third point.

If I'd've switched I woudln't have had the practice - I wouldn't have gone to-to-toe with a Masters and won - and I can promise you I woulda' died quicker on any other hero except maybe Mei.

Now again - a Junk traps me I'm dead, a Brig bashes me with follow up I'm dead, et cetera - but The Player is way, way more important than The Pick in my games.

It kinda does! ^.^ but again my anxieties are no one else's responsibility to manage >.< and for the record I woulda' whiffed that sleep by a mile.

Nobody in this game wants to protect their supports, it's fucking maddening.

"I need heals" well, genius, you let me die 4 times in a row I can't heal shit from the grave.

I feel like we're generalizing here.

Last edited:

Chance

Nov 22, 2017
NOBODY AIMS IN LOW SILVER.

This is a fact.

In fairness learning how to really aim came a distant second to learning how not to die like all the damn time, for me at least lol

How to learn any hero*:

1. Don't die
2. Land your shots
3. Get value from your ult.

does not apply to Brig as she is not a hero.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
and i never became a brig main. just like how i said i would be a moira main.
i guess i just like ana and zen more. and lucio on occasion. i guess im into hearing the dink sounds with zen/lucio

Status
Not open for further replies.