• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So who is that guy at the end? Reaper in some kind of omnic costume?

stingsabit

Nov 4, 2017
We waited one year for this...??? I'm sorry but LOLZ!

They need to make these missions available all year round. It's ridiculous going on year 3 and people been asking for PVE for the longest time and we get it for a few weeks once a year.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
mission is kinda whatever

I do love these in engine cutscenes they've been doing but it's kinda hard to get excited about anything story wise they tease considering how incredibly slowly the overwatch plot(s) progress

like, in january we got a continuation of a comic that was released in 2016 and now in april we got a short mission that's basically just a big tease for..... something...??

they get me accustomed to expecting nothing and they still let me down lol

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
mission is kinda whatever

I do love these in engine cutscenes they've been doing but it's kinda hard to get excited about anything story wise they tease considering how incredibly slowly the overwatch plot(s) progress

like, in january we got a continuation of a comic that was released in 2016 and now in april we got a short mission that's basically just a big tease for..... something...??

they get me accustomed to expecting nothing and they still let me down lol
I thought the cutscenes lacked some camera work to make them feel more exciting...
They teased nothing and the only good thing we got was new art for soujourn, then we get another teaser that'll push her to 2030 or smt

Boooring

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard: Hey lets give tracer a bike
fans: yeah, that's awesome. We're not gonna get a gameplay feature with it in the event, are we?
Blizzard: Nah, that'd take too much work to make right,
fans: Well, understandable, it'll make a cool emote or highlight intro
Blizzard: We're not doing either of those either.
fans: Well, damn. How about a victory pose then?
Blizzard: Nope
fans: But....you have the model for it and everything..
Blizzard: ....

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard: Hey lets give tracer a bike
fans: yeah, that's awesome. We're not gonna get a gameplay feature with it in the event, are we?
Blizzard: Nah, that'd take too much work to make right,
fans: Well, understandable, it'll make a cool emote or highlight intro
Blizzard: We're not doing either of those either.
fans: Well, damn. How about a victory pose then?
Blizzard: Nope
fans: But....you have the model for it and everything..
Blizzard: ....
All that time they could have made an orisa skin

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Seems like some people are beginning to freak out over a Genji and Mercy voice line convo that happens in Storm Rising.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
People on Reddit are really going in on the new event not being great.

I'm not too disappointed since I didn't expect it to be super good myself and don't even mind reusing Talon's enemies. I have very low standards when it comes to OW PvE because I'll take anything at this point.

I just really wish they had made a boss fight at the end there. One new enemy to make a good impression for the finale.

But hey, poor indie developers, what are you gonna do?

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
People on Reddit are really going in on the new event not being great.

I'm not too disappointed since I didn't expect it to be super good myself and don't even mind reusing Talon's enemies. I have very low standards when it comes to OW PvE because I'll take anything at this point.

I just really wish they had made a boss fight at the end there. One new enemy to make a good impression for the finale.

But hey, poor indie developers, what are you gonna do?
I'm pissed cause that explained nothing and was a teaser for something we'll only see in one year at best about events that already happened and which we already know what's the payoff for

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Still can't believe the party for this mission managed to be the blandest choice possible. Alone all these characters are amazing but they are such good teammates you barely get fun dialogue between them. They set a pretty high bar with the reyes/moira/mccree dynamic, even edgelord genji tb, but this crew is just... idk.. maybe if i play more and get more lines it gets better but they feel uninspired :/

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pissed cause that explained nothing and was a teaser for something we'll only see in one year at best about events that already happened and which we already know what's the payoff for
I have even lower expectations for Blizzard's ability to tell overwatch's story than I do in creating a deep PvE event.

When Overwatch launched, people were super invested in all these sorts of characters because they had stunning, well defined personalities that often fit their look and it introduced a diverse sci-fi superhero universe that engaged your imagination. To date, I would say that is literally the only good storytelling Blizzard has accomplished with the game. They still make visually interested characters with well defined personalities whenever a new hero releases.

But they never do anything with them. There is no sense of progression or discovery with these characters. Like, to this day, we still don't even know what caused Overwatch to fall apart or who answered Winston's call or anything. It just keeps introducing more and more mysteries, but it never answers them.

And the few times they attempt to do so, they are at best mundane. Take Sombra. She was introduced at this mystery character, whose name we don't even know. For like a year and a half, we didn't know her name, until the comic with zarya got released, and we found out. It's Olivia Colomar. What does this mean or imply? Absolutely nothing. It's just her name. No consequences towards it's reveal have yet been seen.

At this point, I accept that the Overwatch cast are less characters and more digital toys. They're the avatars you play through, and they have some lines they say, but they don't do anything in the same sense that actual characters in real stories do things. They're just there to look and sound charming.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that's pretty depressing but very trie... after ashe's short i'm not even waiting for lore anymore :/ but i can still get disappointed while expecting nothing i guess

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the cuts at A/B is def being felt this year now. Don't know what else to say really. I still love the game though and it's the only FPS that I play. Tried the others but then I get reminded why I don't really play FPS.

Also Sym's shield gen is still one of her stats in the Archives event lol.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
And do note that I didn't even mention the weird way Michael Chu drops tidbits randomly. It's like he wants to give the impression he has this deep, multiplayered story bible for each character, but aside from the stuff he informs us of being often incosistent (See the "It's a common misconception..." meme or how brig's age and stuff), it's often inconsequencial, meaningless trivia. Torb has a special arm prosthetic that he uses to sleep with that's different from the one he uses to fight/build with. Okay? Who cares? But this is the kind of stuff that makes up overwatch's story. The latest one is... *checks*

Michael Chu: "D.Va has no problems with omnics. She would see gwishin very differently than other omnics." ...cool? Are we ever going to interact with omnics? Not as far as I and probably even Chu knows. There is no reason to think this information will matter and even if D.Va does meet an omnic, we can't even trust that it hold true because they might decide that her having some omnic prejudice would be good drama after all. It's all so dumb.

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
Still not sure what the truth was.
2H2lyC7.png

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
overwatch players who care about lore: please Mr. Chu.... we're so thirsty, give us something.........

Michael Chu: ok..... did u know Genji and Mercy flirted sometimes? and you know that character from that old art? she's still a character who exists

o.p.w.c.a.l.: *dies of dehydration*

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
overwatch players who care about lore: please Mr. Chu.... we're so thirsty, give us something.........

Michael Chu: ok..... did u know Genji and Mercy flirted sometimes? and you know that character from that old art? she's still a character who exists

o.p.w.c.a.l.: *dies of dehydration*
There is a comic parodying Chu's relationship with the fandom that I can't find.

Edit: Found it. The fact that this is only a slight exaggeration of how the real overwatch story is told is insane.

tumblr_pmb8yeXnAU1wwjb4co2_1280.png

tumblr_pmb8yeXnAU1wwjb4co3_1280.png

tumblr_pmb8yeXnAU1wwjb4co1_1280.png

tumblr_pmb8yeXnAU1wwjb4co4_1280.png

Last edited:

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Oh boy I was hoping the Chu hate train wouldn't reach Era.

I love that truth lol.
It's not hate. I just don't like being promised a whole universe and then barely getting any scraps... I honestly tried to defend the dude for like 2 years until i realized we're not getting anything ans barely knowing what was his job at blizzard supposed to be anymore... you got one shot at a year to make a BANG ans reveal something big in the story, any writer would be excited for that, and yet what did we get :/? Their in map teasers for new heroes are way more exciting than making a mission that only serves for that :/

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will allow Michael Chu to make Gency canon if, and only if, he agrees to make Pharah/Brigitte canon as well.

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
It's not hate. I just don't like being promised a whole universe and then barely getting any scraps... I honestly tried to defend the dude for like 2 years until i realized we're not getting anything ans barely knowing what was his job at blizzard supposed to be anymore... you got one shot at a year to make a BANG ans reveal something big in the story, any writer would be excited for that, and yet what did we get :/? Their in map teasers for new heroes are way more exciting than making a mission that only serves for that :/
I mean, I'm frustrated too but I'm not gonna blame only him for all this considering how Blizzard sometimes acts. Besides if he messes up with something or if Jeff Kaplan changes/corrects what he said before then suddenly it's pitchforks against only him. And even if he does bring out lore he's questioned on it and people basically would rather hear it from Kaplan or the new writer than him.

Yeah he's the lead writer but I'm not going to only blame him for all this. If it turns out that he was the one solely responsible for the draught of content then okay I'll be really upset too.

Oh well. Not like it's going to change anything haha. My words mean nothing.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, I'm frustrated too but I'm not gonna blame only him for all this considering how Blizzard sometimes acts. Besides if he messes up with something or if Jeff Kaplan changes/corrects what he said before then suddenly it's pitchforks against only him. And even if he does bring out lore he's questioned on it and people basically would rather hear it from Kaplan or the new writer than him.

Yeah he's the lead writer but I'm not going to only blame him for all this. If it turns out that he was the one solely responsible for the draught of content then okay I'll be really upset too.

Oh well. Not like it's going to change anything haha. My words mean nothing.
Well you're right, and we'll still get no campaign mode

.-.

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Well you're right, and we'll still get no campaign mode

.-.
Seriously what's going on with the Overwatch team? I remember them talking about a possible campaign mission for Year 3 or something. But now it's like the sole focus is the OWL. I like the OWL, but I'd rather the focus go to things like more modes and stuff.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Seriously what's going on with the Overwatch team? I remember them talking about a possible campaign mission for Year 3 or something. But now it's like the sole focus is the OWL. I like the OWL, but I'd rather the focus go to things like more modes and stuff.
Too much work went to separated systems(like replay feature and queue improvements) and not much into pumping new content. They wasted all content in years 1/2, only have time for heroes and maps now i guess

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Feel like they've been all hands on for some matchmaking related overhaul. Complaints about competitive have persisted for ages, there's no way Klaxons weren't going off that whole time.

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
I think people are more upset about this event since the disappointment is only amplified by this year's events (summer-through-anniversary being a year) all being pretty barebones in terms of content updates
even halloween, arguably the most popular event behind archives, didn't get a new enemy type

I know a lot of people (myself included) were half expecting to not even get a new mission this year

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I think people are more upset about this event since the disappointment is only amplified by this year's events (summer-through-anniversary being a year) all being pretty barebones in terms of content updates
even halloween, arguably the most popular event behind archives, didn't get a new enemy type

I know a lot of people (myself included) were half expecting to not even get a new mission this year
That "leak" was concerning, yeah. This event makes me annoyed havana is in game but not in pvp yet cause i dont wanna dig through the map's lore in pve mode(yes im one of the fans looking for the sneezes)

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I remember lore teasing Sombra finding evidence of some vast conspiracy. What was it? Don't know. Is that why she blackmailed the CEO of Volskaya industries? 2 years later and we still don't have an answer for that.

Blizzard likes teasing all these interesting plotlines and characters but never gives the fans a payoff. Hell, we probably won't see that new omnic character until next year. And already you have people theorizing that he had something to do with the omnic crisis. Fans might as well be creating the lore at this point.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
The event is yet another astronomically disappointing event outside of Hammond's Highlight Intro. I don't think anyone can get excited about a tease either when Blizzard trickles this stuff out at such a glacial pace ESPECIALLY in regards to lore.

I also like how they all used heroes that have been in these 4 wave survival except Winston and then they didn't even add an encounter or enemy that Winston could excel against.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Only good thing about the event is new Havana map. It looks great.
The rest is just totally forgettable. I wasn't expecting a lot and i was still left disappointed. They are clearly not even trying anymore.

Story/lore for this mission is just... tragic and laughable.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know it probably won't happen for some rendering/processing reason, but it would be cool if the actual Havana map had the big rainstorm going on too.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I remember lore teasing Sombra finding evidence of some vast conspiracy. What was it? Don't know. Is that why she blackmailed the CEO of Volskaya industries? 2 years later and we still don't have an answer for that.

Blizzard likes teasing all these interesting plotlines and characters but never gives the fans a payoff. Hell, we probably won't see that new omnic character until next year. And already you have people theorizing that he had something to do with the omnic crisis. Fans might as well be creating the lore at this point.
At least the guy that showed up at the end of the mission is the small payoff from sombra's short iirc
Unless i got the one that talked to volskaya mixed up

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My guess on future heroes:

Omnic guy: hero 31, July 2019 (process of elimination because it's not Echo, Sojourn, or Junker Queen and appears to be an immediate future tease)
Echo: hero 32, November 2019 (not hero 31 per Kaplan; first teased at Blizzcon last year, so a Blizzcon reveal this year makes sense)
Sojourn: hero 33, March 2020 (not hero 31 per Kaplan)
Junker Queen: hero 34, July 2020 ("long term" plan per Kaplan)

Sojourn and Junker Queen could be switched around.

It's interesting that they're being so open discussing future heroes. I'm guessing that because their competitors are putting out detailed roadmaps and yearlong plans, Blizzard realized they can't really afford to be so secretive and radio silence mode all the time. Hopefully this is the start of a trend.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Congrats 👏, any tips for someone in Gold trying to climb?

I'm not Big Yoshi, but I'd say try to learn one character from each role so you can flex. Some people are only good at one role, and its best to play around the randoms.

Or you can just learn to play a DPS really well like Doomfist, and brute force your way up by farming the enemy backline.

other general tips:
* Try never to stagger from your team. If the team fight is lost and you can get out, do so.
* Use voice chat to make call outs even if only one other person is listening.
* In a lot of lower level games it's usually one person whos carrying. If this is the case try and counter them, or ask if anyone can play said counter.

It's also much easier to climb as a DPS/Tank over a healer (at least in my experience).

Last edited:

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
Congrats 👏, any tips for someone in Gold trying to climb?

1. Learn Team comps
this really cant be understated, but if someone else on your team picks Winston, you have to pick dva if your playing off tank. Same with Zarya for Rein (its also sometimes okay to go dva rein), Dva with ball, and hog or dva with Orisa.
2. Learn what to play when your team comp sucks ass
If you have 4 people locked in as dps, you HAVE to play ball or Mercy. Also try not to antagonize your team by getting tilted at the 4 dps, but if they are playing some dumb shit like 4 hitscan, ask one to swap to phara so mercy can get away.
3. Don't get tilted. Its real easy to get tilted, but it makes you play substantially worse.
4.Pick relevant healers for tanks. If your tankline is winston dva, you can't play moira because she cant go in with them or heal at a distance like mercy/ana can. Its also usually needed to have either lucio/zen/baptiste in order to survive ult combos with either a defensive ult or immortality field.
5. Communicate well.
6. Don't waste ults on won/lost fights.
7. if you get full held just go bunker comp because its the only way your gonna be able to tie.

Note these tips are biased because I don't play any dps heroes unless you count Brig. IMO if your ever in a sitaution where you have to fill as DPS brig is usually the answer.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
haven't logged in really but are there any skins locked away behind the archive event mode? or i can just buy it?

Status
Not open for further replies.