• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I can't find a post from him elaborating more on the game, but it's worth noting that Kaplan has said they have at least two more years of heroes planned, so at least publicly they seem to be insisting they're not replacing the main game anytime soon.

My guess is whatever it is, it'll be for next-gen consoles to bring Overwatch to the new systems. Seems like the most convenient time to put out a sequel/update for more money.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
I welcome Overwatch 2, as long as characters and maps are free, and you can still earn everything in-game for free in terms of cosmetics.

I like being rewarded for investing time into the game.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
If we're discussing new featuers, then what I want is:

1. Big team battle. That's literally something I've wanted from the start, epic 12v12 matches of ultimate destiny.
2. PvE events
3. PvPvE events, ala gambit from Destiny.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
>_>

<_<

Give me Dota styled captains mode of picks and bans you cowards. No changing mid-match.

LET CHAOS BE REBORN!

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
We probably are getting bans in Overwatch 2 cuz probably we'll hit the 40 hero mark by then, and it's a fun and easy way to nerf meta(s) without drastic changes.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If we're discussing new featuers, then what I want is:

1. Big team battle. That's literally something I've wanted from the start, epic 12v12 matches of ultimate destiny.
2. PvE events
3. PvPvE events, ala gambit from Destiny.
Yes to all of this please
Brig might as well already be dead as far as the regular game goes, outside of GOATS at least.
It is funny how people in games still act like shes a huge problem.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Just let me pick gamemodes for quickplay. If I'm going to play with 4-5 DPS, I'd rather just play control constantly

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
It is funny how people in games still act like shes a huge problem.
It's pretty bad. She's basically a throw pick at this point except in a triple support composition thanks to almost OWL-exclusive nerfs. She is my go-to hero to point to when arguing for role-lock. It would do so much for the viability of characters like her for Blizzard to be able to balance them knowing they have to carry 50% of their role in any given game.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's pretty bad. She's basically a throw pick at this point except in a triple support composition thanks to almost OWL-exclusive nerfs. She is my go-to hero to point to when arguing for role-lock. It would do so much for the viability of characters like her for Blizzard to be able to balance them knowing they have to carry 50% of their role in any given game.
While I dont know where I stand in the role lock debate, I agree that if the other team is any what familiar with the game and sees a brig in the spot of a lucio or zen theyll just play slow for ults and win every fight with them.

Speaking of brig, I got a brig one trick in a game at 4100 last week. Dude was a lifetime gold until she came out when he climbed to 3800. Didnt communicate, but every single fight just charged in head first by himself and died. Over and over and over again. Shit was infuriating. Im all for being aggressive but picking a 1v 6 fight is insane.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Overwatch 2 being in development sure as hell explains the pace of Overwatch content over the last year. I'm equal-parts excited and nervous about this. I hope it's more of a 2.0 release type thing instead of a whole new product entirely.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
what we've heard about Overwatch 2 (or whatever it winds up being called) is that it'll have a large PVE element. (A couple of Blizzard people have compared it to Left 4 Dead.)

31e753203faedc101a89074a0a1d143e.png

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope it isn't actually Overwatch 2 so much as an Overwatch expansion. Like, the core game we have right now is fine. I don't want to lose the maps we have, the characters, etc, so if we are getting a new 'game', I'd like for everything we have in overwatch here and now to carry over into it.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
^^I'd expect it to be a continuation with there being 5 more heroes in development.

With it being announced at Blizzcon wonder if the change for summer is a tease for the game. or holding back the summer hero and releasing the next few heroes as a group with the new release.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Here is imo what it SHOULD be: An Avengers style event.

The game begins with Winston pushing the recall button on Overwatch members. There is shit going down, and he is reuniting all the OW members of the past to confront it.

The absurdity of OW is that we still have no idea wtf he is recalling members for. We can assume talon is having shit go down, sure, Doomfist getting his gauntlet back, but other than that, we have no idea what it is because almost all the information we got from here has been in the past. Uprising, Retribution, Storm Rising, all stuff that happened way before Overwatch fell, and I've been waiting forever for an event that centered around Overwatch rising again.

And this event, it'd basically have the sort of appeal that the Avengers movies have: Heroes of different abilities coming together to stop an enemy that they couldn't by themselves.

THAT is the event I've been waiting for: Not a 4 man squad, a team wide epic. Maybe the technological limitations only mean you can have a team of 8 against an AI opponent or whatever, but in terms of the event itself, it should be presented as EVERYONE coming together to kick whatever-the-OW-universe-equivalent-of-Thanos-is's ass.

I want that more than anything. Please Jeff, give me that.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
I'm expecting

- a full priced sequel (probably with expanded special edition options, not the $40/$60 that OW launched at)
- a reevaluation and potential culling of the hero line up (with, of course, them making it clear that characters that aren't returning at launch could be added back in later with tweaked kits), that said, I would also not be surprised if everyone was back
- massive reevaluation of game modes and rule sets
- updates to graphics and animations where applicable (such as making Mei's animations less back break-y when she's not in a big coat)
- front end menu tweaks
- more monetization; battlepass, more single purchase skins, possibly even a time limited skin shop like Fortnite or Apex
- finally pushing the story forward, which could also tie in to graphical updates (such as giving Reaper a "he was a triple agent all along!" redemption arc (or something idk) and altering his default skins)

but that's just me speculating and wishlist-ing, basically I want a big shakeup and not just a new executable and a shiny 2 tacked onto the logo

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
^^I'd expect it to be a continuation with there being 5 more heroes in development.

With it being announced at Blizzcon wonder if the change for summer is a tease for the game. or holding back the summer hero and releasing the next few heroes as a group with the new release.

I would be so happy if they get rid of the Summer Games event entirely, as it's arguably the worst seasonal event (never been a fan of Lucio Ball or the sport-themed cosmetics).

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
It's not OW2 y'all, lol. A straight-forward sequel would go against literally ever plan they've put in place for the game as a service.

It'll be a PVE/co-op/whatever expansion or add-on. Count on it.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not OW2 y'all, lol. A straight-forward sequel would go against literally ever plan they've put in place for the game as a service.

It'll be a PVE/co-op/whatever expansion or add-on. Count on it.

Schreier has done a lot of reporting lately about Activision closing their grip around Blizzard and demanding new games and revenue streams. Whatever Blizzard has publicly stated about Overwatch's future, Activision top brass have no obligation to follow through on.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Schreier has done a lot of reporting lately about Activision closing their grip around Blizzard and demanding new games and revenue streams. Whatever Blizzard has publicly stated about Overwatch's future, Activision top brass have no obligation to follow through on.
I would say they have the obligationto follow through on it, they just won't have the inclination. Nitpicky perhaps, but if activision pushes revenue models on Blizzard and that comes through to overwatch, it shouldn't be said that it happened because Activision didn't need to do it, just that they didn't want to.

That said, the lootboxes we have now aren't a great model either. And while they did make that promise of all in game content being free, they've kept that promise for an admirable 3 years and a fully developed, replayable PvE mode would legit be a major expansion. I honestly wouldn't begrudge paying for a PvE expansion or for skins (so long as they're reasonably priced).

Cool, that sounds perfect to me. A single player experience that carries over the MP we have now, sounds great.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame that the Star Craft shooter had to die to make it happen. I never played any star craft, RTS's weren't my thing, but I'd have checked it out where as I'm def not gonna be looking at Diablo 4.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

I'm talking about Activision primarily, actually. The writing is on the wall from the top down on OW as a service-based franchise. OWL investment, events that are skin focused, etc.

And there it is

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
My best guess:

It's going to be a campaign/PVE component that will serve as the driver for the lore and the events in the game going forward. Way easier to monetize and add vertical content to that doesn't come with the headache of having to balance it against the entire game and current meta.

In addition, they're going to drastically rebalance the current multiplayer suite. Pick bans, ult nerfs, maybe the entire ult economy and how it works might be changed, possible role locks, map selection, etc. The core game won't fundamentally change, but with added competitive modes and tweaking certain design inefficiencies, it will be a drastically new experience that still services the current playerbase.

Current OW will become f2p, new heroes will start to cost unless you buy a founders/season pack or whatever for the new mode, maps and modes will still be free.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
new heroes will start to cost unless you buy a founders/season pack or whatever for the new mode
I would be fine with the entirety of your post except for this. Charging for singleplayer content or cosmetics is fine (within reason), but MP gameplay content should stay free.

This in particular would be bad If we end up with another Brigette situation where a new hero is OP and meta defining, then we essentially have a pay to win situation on our hands.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I would be fine with the entirety of your post except for this. Charging for singleplayer content or cosmetics is fine (within reason), but MP gameplay content should stay free.

This in particular would be bad If we end up with another Brigette situation where a new hero is OP and meta defining, then we essentially have a pay to win situation on our hands.

I agree with you in principal. Overwatch being virtually the only PvP game on the market to provide every new hero for free was dope.

But money talks, and with a roster size of probably 35+ heroes to choose from by the time any of this gets released, Blizzard will have a built in value add argument to charge for new heroes.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you in principal. Overwatch being virtually the only PvP game on the market to provide every new hero for free was dope.

But money talks, and with a roster size of probably 35+ heroes to choose from by the time any of this gets released, Blizzard will have a built in value add argument to charge for new heroes.
Sure, but the shitfire that happened with EA's Battlefield 2 has basically drawn a line in the sand for companies. Pay to win lootboxes are not okay for anyone right now, and companies have dialed back on it. In fact, if you heard of that Lootbox bill that's being looked at by the senate now, another component of it is that it will also ban "pay to win" features. Now, I'll believe it when I see it in regards to that bill actually passing into law, because I think that's unlikely, but the fact that that's included in it means that the next implementation they try to pull will be a PR nightmare.

So, yeah, I agree that activision certainly will want to implement a pay-for-heroes mechanics, but that's unlikely to happen without a massive shitstorm ensuing. And, if things go unrealistically well and somehow that bill passes into law, it could actually become illegal for it to happen. I'm not saying it can't happen, but we atleast have an incentive for activision to not have it happen because of the PR hit they'd take.

Last edited:

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
So, yeah, I agree that activision certainly will want to implement a pay-for-heroes mechanics, but that's unlikely to happen without a massive shitstorm ensuing. And, if things go unrealistically well and somehow that bill passes into law, it could actually become illegal for it to happen.

I think the backlash will be minimal considering all of Overwatch's competitors charge for new characters. Siege, Fortnite, Apex Legends, Black Ops 4, mobas, fighting games, you name it. It's market standard, and it'll be lampshaded by the excitement of a long requested campaign component being added to the game. And Overwatch already allows in game items to be purchased by in game currency, so I think it'll be a seamless fit into that model.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I think the backlash will be minimal considering all of Overwatch's competitors charge for new characters. Siege, Fortnite, Apex Legends, Black Ops 4, mobas, fighting games, you name it. It's market standard, and it'll be lampshaded by the excitement of a long requested campaign component being added to the game. And Overwatch already allows in game items to be purchased by in game currency, so I think it'll be a seamless fit into that model.
Yeah, I guess that's true.

Then it seems all we can hope for is that there is a big backlash to Overwatch being charged for a feature that used to be free :(

Edit: I don' know about others, but in atleast some of those games, you can unlock characters by playing the game, like Apex Legends, right? If you can do that, then I won't mind them implementing this as much, though in that case I want in-game stuff to become fungible. If I have a skin I don't like, let me goddamn sell it.

Edit 2: wow, that alarmist thread over on the gaming side sure is something

Last edited:

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, guys, there was just a massive leak regarding Overwatch 2 and it's the best news ever!

Overwatch 2 removes Soldier: 76 from canon

TAKE ALL MY MONEY JEFF

Status
Not open for further replies.