• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Everything you need to know about Overwatch on Switch - the first time Blizzard's hero FPS has been playable on a portable system. It's not perfect by any means, and visuals are dropped compared to PS4 - while performance is 30fps with several issues. Even so it's fascinating to see the turnout, in particular next to a successful conversion of Diablo 3.

Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get pristine quality video assets: https://www.digitalfoundry.net Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
When they highlight the fact that Paladins runs at a smooth 60fps on Switch it really does make you wonder why Overwatch can't do the same, or at the very least maintain a solid 30fps at all times.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
TL;DW

- Conversion done by Iron Galaxy (same studio which handled Diablo 3 port)
- "Bottom line is, it works ... but unlike D3 the limits are more obvious now"
- 11GB install versus 25GB on PS4/XBO
- Textures are equivalent to PC's Low.

- Dynamic 900p when docked, dynamic 720p when portable
- Drops are on horizontal axis only, lowest 1152x900 when docked, 960x720 when portable
- No difference outside of resolution between the two modes. Textures/effects are identical.
- Character detail has minor cutbacks. Background detail on character screen also cut back.
- Geometry, AO, foliage is cut down compared to XBO/PS4.

- Music/sound/audio quality does not seem compressed during testing.

- Performance: Targets 30 FPS with full V-sync on both modes.
- Uneven frame pacing is present and can cause erratic moments.
- Docked has very minor drops to mid 20's when GPU is hammered.
- Portable performance drops even further than docked in same worst cases.

- Comparisons with Paladin and it's 60 FPS are made.
- "All told, a bit disappointed considering the sacrifices made"

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
When they highlight the fact that Paladins runs at a smooth 60fps on Switch it really does make you wonder why Overwatch can't do the same, or at the very least maintain a solid 30fps at all times.
I feel like this a case of not all games being created equal. Just because one game works fine on Switch, doesn't mean another game will do the same. With that said, I wish Iron Galaxy was able to do more. Even before Blizzard's recent bullshit, this port running at 30fps was a deal-breaker for me.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Switch version looks super rough but also really suited to a handheld console. Resolution seems to drop pretty heavily but the core gameplay seems to be present, even if it is at about 30. Obviously a massive drop from 1X/PC etc but still seems perfectly good for Switch owners and their first foray into Overwatch. Unfortunately, that 30fps mark would basically count Switch out for any potential Crossplay (I know its not announced but it would be a good addition)

patientx

Oct 26, 2017
Paladins is so better in various aspects -fps, gyro controls, costs less (f2p) all around cross play ... - it makes this game look much worse compared to that. If this game came parallel to Paladins back then I wouldn't be this harsh but after all this time one hopes a game should deliver at least stable 30fps ...

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
So is this analysis also going to get dumped on like the polygon and Kotaku write-ups?

TheMilkman

Banned
Aug 30, 2019
Not gonna lie: this is way better than how I've been playing OW on my potato laptop, so I'm still fucking game. OW is the most fun I've had with a game in the last maybe 10 fucking years...and that's on that pos device I've been playing it on

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Paladins is so better in various aspects -fps, gyro controls, costs less (f2p) all around cross play ... - it makes this game look much worse compared to that. If this game came parallel to Paladins back then I wouldn't be this harsh but after all this time one hopes a game should deliver at least stable 30fps ...
Not that I disagree, but to be fair OW also has gyro controls.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017

Both great games, and I have more than 100 hours in Paladins, it is one of my favorite games this gen, for sure.

But one thing that Paladins have worse than Overwatch are the loading times. Damn, do they take a while!

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
The frame pacing issues on many of these "impossible switch ports" really drags the experience down by making the framerate seem worse than it is.
The thing about an impossible port is that it's not impossible, just not a good idea and comes with sacrifices. The gold standard for the "impossible port" will likely alway be SFA2 on the SNES, for me.